Parable of the Fig Tree

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Randy Kluth

Apr 27, 2020
Pacific NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Or maybe not so clear.

Psalms 90:10
10 The days of our years are threescore years and ten; and if by reason of strength they be fourscore years, yet is their strength labour and sorrow; for it is soon cut off, and we fly away.

A generation of strength is 80 years. The generation that sees the fig tree put forth leaves will not pass away until all these things come to pass.

All these things are false Christs, wars and rumors of wars, famines, pestilences, The Great Tribulation, and the coming of Jesus at the 6th seal.

The fig tree put forth leaves in 1948. A generation of strength is 80 years. Adding 80 to 1948 gets you to 2028. If Jesus comes for the second (rapture) harvest, which is the gathering from heaven and earth, when we fly away, that flying away occurs after the tribulation and before the wrath of God. This harvest before wrath In 2028 would line up perfectly with the asteriod, Apophis, that comes in April of 2029. Strangely an asteroid comes in the 3rd trumpet of wrath.

Nothing to see here. It's just a coincidence. Yeah right..............
This is an exercise in moving goal posts. 1st it was 40 years, then 70 years, next it will be 140 years. The real problem is that the use of the word "generation" was intended to be applied to the then-present generation of Jesus. "This generation" means "my generation."--not some specific generation in the future when "all these signs" will unfold simultaneously.

In my view the Spring blossoming of the fig tree is correlated with the "Birth Pangs" that Jesus said would precede the fall of the Temple, the false Messiahs, the wars, the famines and earthquakes. These were actually only the *beginning* of Birth Pangs.

They would include the persecution suffered by Jesus' Disciples until the Abomination of Desolation would "stand in the holy place." To explain the authors referred to Daniel 9, which indicated "the people of the ruler to come," an Army, would be set against the Temple. Jesus said this Army would surround Jerusalem. This all happened in Jesus' generation, some 40 years after he said this.

Why did Jesus use the fig tree as a metaphor, which would normally seem to be a positive thing? It is because in prophecy national judgment was often associated with disappointment, expecting a baby to be born only to have it miscarriage. It was like suffering a drought in the time of year when the trees are green and should be flourishing. The fig tree, in the time it should be producing, will only produce the signs of imminent desolation.

But I suppose we'll know for sure in another 5 years or so? I don't live my life waiting for signs to be fulfilled or not. I depend on what God's word is saying to my heart now. We are to live a righteous life. In this way we are to always be prepared for the coming of Christ's Kingdom.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Psalm 90 tells us that a generation is 70 years long, but a generation of strength is 80 years. Do you think these numbers mean nothing? The Word of God is absolutely full of numbers. They are there for a reason.
I could give you a Scriptural argument for a generation being 20 years, 38 years, 40 years, 70 years, or if by reason of strength 80 years, 100 years, or 120 years.

I think we've passed 70 years, so we still have 100 and 120 available if 80 doesn't work out.

Much love!

The Light

Mar 11, 2022
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I could give you a Scriptural argument for a generation being 20 years, 38 years, 40 years, 70 years, or if by reason of strength 80 years, 100 years, or 120 years.

I think we've passed 70 years, so we still have 100 and 120 available if 80 doesn't work out.

Much love!
Only 80 fits.

The Light

Mar 11, 2022
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This is an exercise in moving goal posts. 1st it was 40 years, then 70 years, next it will be 140 years.
Psalm 90
10 The days of our years are threescore years and ten; and if by reason of strength they be fourscore years, yet is their strength labour and sorrow; for it is soon cut off, and we fly away.

11 Who knoweth the power of thine anger? even according to thy fear, so is thy wrath.

12 So teach us to number our days, that we may apply our hearts unto wisdom.

13 Return, O Lord, how long? and let it repent thee concerning thy servants.

I see no need to move the goal posts as these verses are not about the rapture of the Church. They are the second harvest of the fig tree.

The real problem is that the use of the word "generation" was intended to be applied to the then-present generation of Jesus.
"This generation" means "my generation."--not some specific generation in the future when "all these signs" will unfold simultaneously.

If this we true why would there be a need to learn the parable of the fig tree. It is the generation that sees the fig tree put forth leaves that will not pass away before all these things come to pass.

In my view the Spring blossoming of the fig tree is correlated with the "Birth Pangs" that Jesus said would precede the fall of the Temple, the false Messiahs, the wars, the famines and earthquakes. These were actually only the *beginning* of Birth Pangs.

They would include the persecution suffered by Jesus' Disciples until the Abomination of Desolation would "stand in the holy place."
None of these things have happened.

Luke 21
6 As for these things which ye behold, the days will come, in the which there shall not be left one stone upon another, that shall not be thrown down.

7 And they asked him, saying, Master, but when shall these things be? and what sign will there be when these things shall come to pass?

Can you name the sign that occurred when these things happened?

To explain the authors referred to Daniel 9, which indicated "the people of the ruler to come," an Army, would be set against the Temple. Jesus said this Army would surround Jerusalem. This all happened in Jesus' generation, some 40 years after he said this.
None of this has happened and will not happen until after the seals are opened.

Why did Jesus use the fig tree as a metaphor, which would normally seem to be a positive thing? It is because in prophecy national judgment was often associated with disappointment, expecting a baby to be born only to have it miscarriage. It was like suffering a drought in the time of year when the trees are green and should be flourishing. The fig tree, in the time it should be producing, will only produce the signs of imminent desolation.
That's quite an explanation you have given. I'm not having any of it. I think the explanation that was given to us by Jesus is what I believe.

But I suppose we'll know for sure in another 5 years or so?
We'll know sooner than that as the fig tree has two harvests and I intend on leaving with the first one.

I don't live my life waiting for signs to be fulfilled or not.
I live my life watching and ready as instructed.

I depend on what God's word is saying to my heart now. We are to live a righteous life. In this way we are to always be prepared for the coming of Christ's Kingdom.
The bride has made herself ready.

ewq1938

Jul 11, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hmmmm.

Matthew 24 tells us that this generation, the generation that sees the fig put forth leaves, will not pass away until all the things spoken in Matthew 24 have occurred.

He actually spoke of all trees not only fig tree, when in Spring they will put forth leaves. These represent the signs and events that lead up to the Gt and the Gt itself. Summer here is his Return.

Luk 21:29 And he spake to them a parable; Behold the fig tree, and all the trees;
Luk 21:30 When they now shoot forth, ye see and know of your own selves that summer is now nigh at hand.
Luk 21:31 So likewise ye, when ye see these things come to pass, know ye that the kingdom of God is nigh at hand.

Psalm 90 tells us that a generation is 70 years long, but a generation of strength is 80 years. Do you think these numbers mean nothing?

I explained what they mean already. Do you think they mean nothing? Do you like to be asked stupid questions?

The Word of God is absolutely full of numbers. They are there for a reason.

Do you think , "and we fly away" is there for no reason?

No, do you think it's there for no reason?? Again with the dumb questions. It's speaking of life spans and this flying away is the soul departing at death. None of this is about the LIVING being raptured nor are the years the generation mentioned by Christ. Fully unrelated.

The Light

Mar 11, 2022
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
He actually spoke of all trees not only fig tree, when in Spring they will put forth leaves. These represent the signs and events that lead up to the Gt and the Gt itself. Summer here is his Return.

Luk 21:29 And he spake to them a parable; Behold the fig tree, and all the trees;
Luk 21:30 When they now shoot forth, ye see and know of your own selves that summer is now nigh at hand.
Luk 21:31 So likewise ye, when ye see these things come to pass, know ye that the kingdom of God is nigh at hand.
Hmmm.....
All these years and you have yet to figure out the differences between Luke 21 and Matthew 24.

No, do you think it's there for no reason?? Again with the dumb questions. It's speaking of life spans and this flying away is the soul departing at death. None of this is about the LIVING being raptured nor are the years the generation mentioned by Christ. Fully unrelated.

Psalm 90
11 Who knoweth the power of thine anger? even according to thy fear, so is thy wrath.

12 So teach us to number our days, that we may apply our hearts unto wisdom.

13 Return, O Lord, how long? and let it repent thee concerning thy servants.

ewq1938

Jul 11, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hmmm.....
All these years and you have yet to figure out the differences between Luke 21 and Matthew 24.

I'm the one showing you the differences. It was not about the fig tree only meaning it isn't about Israel but all trees in how they react to spring.

The Light

Mar 11, 2022
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm the one showing you the differences. It was not about the fig tree only meaning it isn't about Israel but all trees in how they react to spring.
I guess you have a very good point as I obviously didn't word things correctly.

The point I was trying to make is Luke 21 and Matthew 24 aren't the same. Meaning that when you quote that verse in Luke 21 does not change what is written in Matthew 24.

ewq1938

Jul 11, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I guess you have a very good point as I obviously didn't word things correctly.

The point I was trying to make is Luke 21 and Matthew 24 aren't the same. Meaning that when you quote that verse in Luke 21 does not change what is written in Matthew 24.

They are the same. No two books have the same info which is why using both is important. Using Matthew alone makes it seem like this is specific to the fig tree but Luke makes it clear it isn't.

Last edited:

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Hello, the lesson to be learnt from the Fig tree is only contained in Matthew 24:32. The three verses that follow are not associated with the Parable of the Fig Tree in the book of Matthew, however they do add additional information as to what else will happen after the parable of the Fig tree occurs.

ewq1938

Jul 11, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
All of these are part of the same teaching from the OD:

Mat 24:29 Immediately after the tribulation of those days shall the sun be darkened, and the moon shall not give her light, and the stars shall fall from heaven, and the powers of the heavens shall be shaken:
Mat 24:30 And then shall appear the sign of the Son of man in heaven: and then shall all the tribes of the earth mourn, and they shall see the Son of man coming in the clouds of heaven with power and great glory.

Mat 24:31 And he shall send his angels with a great sound of a trumpet, and they shall gather together his elect from the four winds, from one end of heaven to the other.
Mat 24:32 Now learn a parable of the fig tree; When his branch is yet tender, and putteth forth leaves, ye know that summer is nigh:

Mat 24:33 So likewise ye, when ye shall see all these things, know that it is near, even at the doors.
Mat 24:34 Verily I say unto you, This generation shall not pass, till all these things be fulfilled.

Mat 24:35 Heaven and earth shall pass away, but my words shall not pass away.

Mar 13:24 But in those days, after that tribulation, the sun shall be darkened, and the moon shall not give her light,

Mar 13:25 And the stars of heaven shall fall, and the powers that are in heaven shall be shaken.
Mar 13:26 And then shall they see the Son of man coming in the clouds with great power and glory.

Mar 13:27 And then shall he send his angels, and shall gather together his elect from the four winds, from the uttermost part of the earth to the uttermost part of heaven.
Mar 13:28 Now learn a parable of the fig tree; When her branch is yet tender, and putteth forth leaves, ye know that summer is near:

Mar 13:29 So ye in like manner, when ye shall see these things come to pass, know that it is nigh, even at the doors.
Mar 13:30 Verily I say unto you, that this generation shall not pass, till all these things be done.

Mar 13:31 Heaven and earth shall pass away: but my words shall not pass away.

Luk 21:25 And there shall be signs in the sun, and in the moon, and in the stars; and upon the earth distress of nations, with perplexity; the sea and the waves roaring;

Luk 21:26 Men's hearts failing them for fear, and for looking after those things which are coming on the earth: for the powers of heaven shall be shaken.
Luk 21:27 And then shall they see the Son of man coming in a cloud with power and great glory.

Luk 21:28 And when these things begin to come to pass, then look up, and lift up your heads; for your redemption draweth nigh.

Luk 21:32 Verily I say unto you, This generation shall not pass away, till all be fulfilled.

Luk 21:33 Heaven and earth shall pass away: but my words shall not pass away.

Last edited:

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
All of these are part of the same teaching from the OD:

Mat 24:29 Immediately after the tribulation of those days shall the sun be darkened, and the moon shall not give her light, and the stars shall fall from heaven, and the powers of the heavens shall be shaken:
Mat 24:30 And then shall appear the sign of the Son of man in heaven: and then shall all the tribes of the earth mourn, and they shall see the Son of man coming in the clouds of heaven with power and great glory.

Mat 24:31 And he shall send his angels with a great sound of a trumpet, and they shall gather together his elect from the four winds, from one end of heaven to the other.
Mat 24:32 Now learn a parable of the fig tree; When his branch is yet tender, and putteth forth leaves, ye know that summer is nigh:

Mat 24:33 So likewise ye, when ye shall see all these things, know that it is near, even at the doors.
Mat 24:34 Verily I say unto you, This generation shall not pass, till all these things be fulfilled.

Mat 24:35 Heaven and earth shall pass away, but my words shall not pass away.

Mar 13:24 But in those days, after that tribulation, the sun shall be darkened, and the moon shall not give her light,

Mar 13:25 And the stars of heaven shall fall, and the powers that are in heaven shall be shaken.
Mar 13:26 And then shall they see the Son of man coming in the clouds with great power and glory.

Mar 13:27 And then shall he send his angels, and shall gather together his elect from the four winds, from the uttermost part of the earth to the uttermost part of heaven.
Mar 13:28 Now learn a parable of the fig tree; When her branch is yet tender, and putteth forth leaves, ye know that summer is near:

Mar 13:29 So ye in like manner, when ye shall see these things come to pass, know that it is nigh, even at the doors.
Mar 13:30 Verily I say unto you, that this generation shall not pass, till all these things be done.

Mar 13:31 Heaven and earth shall pass away: but my words shall not pass away.

Luk 21:25 And there shall be signs in the sun, and in the moon, and in the stars; and upon the earth distress of nations, with perplexity; the sea and the waves roaring;

Luk 21:26 Men's hearts failing them for fear, and for looking after those things which are coming on the earth: for the powers of heaven shall be shaken.
Luk 21:27 And then shall they see the Son of man coming in a cloud with power and great glory.

Luk 21:28 And when these things begin to come to pass, then look up, and lift up your heads; for your redemption draweth nigh.

Luk 21:32 Verily I say unto you, This generation shall not pass away, till all be fulfilled.

Luk 21:33 Heaven and earth shall pass away: but my words shall not pass away.

The tradition of previous scholars' misunderstandings lives on in the above.

If you redacted Matt 24:32, Mark 13:28 and Luk 21:29-30 from the translations would this redaction change the understanding of Matt 24:33, 34 or 35, Mark 13:29, 30 or 31 or Luke 21:31, 32 or 33.

All that the lesson to learn from the Fig Tree is that when Israel buds it leaves once more that the end of the age of the visitation of the fathers' iniquities on their children and the children's child has come to completion and that God will once more gather Israel to Himself.

The age when the harvesting of souls will occur is the same age that the signs of the events foretold in the Mt Olivet prophecies will also occur.

ewq1938

Jul 11, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
All that the lesson to learn from the Fig Tree is that when Israel buds

The parable has nothing to do with Israel budding. It's not about any nation. Summer is the second coming, and the Spring buddings are the signs and events that happen very near the second coming.

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
The parable has nothing to do with Israel budding. It's not about any nation. Summer is the second coming, and the Spring buddings are the signs and events that happen very near the second coming.

Yea, the summer season is connected with the second coming after the end of the summer harvest season.

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Yes the parable of the fig tree does also have to do with Israel, but you would had to have studied the Old Testament prophets to know this.

Christ's references to the fig and fig tree is put forth also in Matthew 21:19, and ...

Mark 11:13-14
13 And seeing a fig tree afar off having leaves, He came, if haply He might find any thing thereon: and when He came to it, He found nothing but leaves;
for the time of figs was not yet.
14 And Jesus answered and said unto it, "No man eat fruit of thee hereafter for ever. And His disciples heard it."
KJV

Luke 13:6-9
6 He spake also this parable; A certain man had a fig tree planted in his vineyard; and he came and sought fruit thereon, and found none.
7 Then said he unto the dresser of his vineyard, Behold,
these three years I come seeking fruit on this fig tree, and find none: cut it down; why cumbereth it the ground?
8 And he answering said unto him, Lord, let it alone this year also, till I shall dig about it, and dung it:
9 And if it bear fruit, well: and if not, then after that thou shalt cut it down.
KJV

Rev 6:13
13 And the stars of heaven fell unto the earth, even
as a fig tree casteth her untimely figs, when she is shaken of a mighty wind.
KJV

Those are metaphorical allegories about Israel not bearing fruit of the fig tree. And with the last example there of Rev.6:13 on the 6th SEAL, it is about Satan's host coming as "untimely figs", which an untimely fig means an EARLY fig that grows in the Winter, but falls off in the Spring. It is symbolic of falling away to the false-Messiah who comes first.

Thus the Jeremiah 24 Scripture where God shows Jeremiah 2 baskets of figs, one good put for faithful Judah, and the other basket of figs as 'evil', put for the crept in unawares that began creeping in among the children of Israel centuries ago.

For the very end of this world, it will be that 'evil' basket of figs (false Jews of the "synagogue of Satan") that will exalt the coming false-Messiah in Jerusalem in place of Christ Jesus. God showed in that Jeremiah 24 chapter that He would bring Judah, along with that basket of 'evil' figs, back to the holy land, and never remove them again. That began in 1948 when Israel became a nation again. And that began the parable of the fig tree generation.

Timtofly

Apr 9, 2020
Mount Morris
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Only 80 fits.
No, because it will be as in the days of Noah, not in the days of David and Solomon. In Noah's day it was 120 years.

Also Lot lived to around 120 when he died. Abraham lived 175 years. Isaac lived 180 years. So there you have a generation of Lot's day. Still 120 years from the declaration of God in Genesis 6.

"And the Lord said, My spirit shall not always strive with man, for that he also is flesh: yet his days shall be an hundred and twenty years."

Timtofly

Apr 9, 2020
Mount Morris
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You do know that all of the middle east was divided by British authority and given to several new nations that began the same generation as Israel was called a nation?

The Light

Mar 11, 2022
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No, because it will be as in the days of Noah, not in the days of David and Solomon. In Noah's day it was 120 years.

Also Lot lived to around 120 when he died. Abraham lived 175 years. Isaac lived 180 years. So there you have a generation of Lot's day. Still 120 years from the declaration of God in Genesis 6.

"And the Lord said, My spirit shall not always strive with man, for that he also is flesh: yet his days shall be an hundred and twenty years."
1948+120 = 2068

Won't work.

Timtofly

Apr 9, 2020
Mount Morris
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
1948+120 = 2068

Won't work.
Were babies comprehending what happened at birth?

What about 20 year olds?

What about 30 year olds?

A 30 year old in 1948 would not pass away until all is fulfilled, no? Obviously someone 40 or more would be the parents of those 20 years old. Should that generation not pass away either? So which generation is it? The babies' or the parent's of those babies?

The Light

Mar 11, 2022
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Were babies comprehending what happened at birth?

What about 20 year olds?

What about 30 year olds?

A 30 year old in 1948 would not pass away until all is fulfilled, no? Obviously someone 40 or more would be the parents of those 20 years old. Should that generation not pass away either? So which generation is it? The babies' or the parent's of those babies?
Psalm 90