Parable of the Fig Tree

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

InfamousBerean

Jul 22, 2023
North East Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Plus... the false-Messiah must show up in Jerusalem, and be crowned king, with the 3rd temple built and old covenant worship by the orthodox Jews started again. That will be a time when the "one world government" will manifest over all nations and peoples, and Jerusalem will be the center of focus. So we've got to see those things coming first.
The false Messiah crowned king? I must have skipped that page of the Bible. Where can I find it?

Also, the one world government over all nations... that contradicts my Bible. I'd start with the book of Daniel. The kingdom of the Antichrist campaigns aginst nations. Obviously those nations are not under his system of government.

We must be careful not to cast our opinions as Biblical fact.

InfamousBerean

Jul 22, 2023
North East Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
NO!! Believers are not told to look for anti-Christ.
We are not to believe that the false prophet or Antichrist is actually Jesus the Christ. He does tell us these things though so we may watch

Then if anyone says to you, ‘Look, here is the Christ!’ or ‘There he is!’ do not believe it. For false christs and false prophets will arise and perform great signs and wonders, so as to lead astray, if possible, even the elect. See, I have told you beforehand. So, if they say to you, ‘Look, he is in the wilderness,’ do not go out. If they say, ‘Look, he is in the inner rooms,’ do not believe it. For as the lightning comes from the east and shines as far as the west, so will be the coming of the Son of Man. Wherever the corpse is, there the vultures will gather.
Matthew 24:23‭-‬28 ESV
Paul reminded the church of Thessaloniki what the OT communicated and Jesus forewarned, that the coming of Christ and the Day of The Lord is preceded by the Great Tribulation and the reign of the king of the north or Antichrist.

Now concerning the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ and our being gathered together to him, we ask you, brothers, not to be quickly shaken in mind or alarmed, either by a spirit or a spoken word, or a letter seeming to be from us, to the effect that the day of the Lord has come. Let no one deceive you in any way. For that day will not come, unless the rebellion comes first, and the man of lawlessness is revealed, the son of destruction, who opposes and exalts himself against every so-called god or object of worship, so that he takes his seat in the temple of God, proclaiming himself to be God. Do you not remember that when I was still with you I told you these things? And you know what is restraining him now so that he may be revealed in his time. For the mystery of lawlessness is already at work. Only he who now restrains it will do so until he is out of the way. And then the lawless one will be revealed, whom the Lord Jesus will kill with the breath of his mouth and bring to nothing by the appearance of his coming.
2 Thessalonians 2:1‭-‬8 ESV

If we look for and see the coming of the Man of Lawlessness then we know Christ is soon to follow.

Reactions: David in NJ

The Light

Mar 11, 2022
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
2 Thessalonians 2:1-5 does say to watch for the Antichrist though...
We will know that we are not in the day of the Lord if the Antichrist has not been revealed.

This has nothing to do with the bride watching for the bridegroom as instructed. It is the blessed hope when He will appear TO THOSE WHO WATCH FOR HIM.

Hebrews 9
28 So Christ was once offered to bear the sins of many; and unto them that look for him shall he appear the second time without sin unto salvation.

InfamousBerean

Jul 22, 2023
North East Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We will know that we are not in the day of the Lord if the Antichrist has not been revealed.

This has nothing to do with the bride watching for the bridegroom as instructed. It is the blessed hope when He will appear TO THOSE WHO WATCH FOR HIM.

Hebrews 9
28 So Christ was once offered to bear the sins of many; and unto them that look for him shall he appear the second time without sin unto salvation.
Jesus told us to watch for "all these things."

One of these things being the abomination of desolation spoken of by the prophet Daniel.

“From the fig tree learn its lesson: as soon as its branch becomes tender and puts out its leaves, you know that summer is near. So also, when you see all these things, you know that he is near, at the very gates.
Matthew 24:32‭-‬33 ESV

Additional, while many will disagree, according to the prophecies of Daniel none of the age ending timeline starts until the man of lawlessness or King of the North is established and affirms Israel's right to the land.

Either way, neither can happen without the antichrist. While our focus is not on him, when we see him we know our redemption is near.

The Light

Mar 11, 2022
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus told us to watch for "all these things."
The fig tree has two harvests. The first crop is called the breba crop. One group is told that when these things begin to come to pass look up.

Luke 21
28 And when these things begin to come to pass, then look up, and lift up your heads; for your redemption draweth nigh.

This group, which are mostly Gentiles, are told that they can escape all these things that will come to pass.

Luke 21
36 Watch ye therefore, and pray always, that ye may be accounted worthy to escape all these things that shall come to pass, and to stand before the Son of man

The second harvest is called the main harvest. This group is told that when they see these things come to pass the kingdom of God is at hand. This group is the Jews.

Luke 21
31 So likewise ye, when ye see these things come to pass, know ye that the kingdom of God is nigh at hand.
One of these things being the abomination of desolation spoken of by the prophet Daniel.

Exactly and we know that the 70th week of Daniel is about the people of Daniel. The Church will already be in heaven when the abomination of desolation occurs.
“From the fig tree learn its lesson: as soon as its branch becomes tender and puts out its leaves, you know that summer is near. So also, when you see all these things, you know that he is near, at the very gates.
The first harvest occurs in the summer. This is the mostly Gentile harvest. And what will the Jews say when they realize that they missed the summer harvest?

Jeremiah 8
20 The harvest is past, the summer is ended, and we are not saved.

It is the 12 tribes across the earth that will see all these thing. And yes. The second coming will occur immediately after the tribulation of those days.
Additional, while many will disagree, according to the prophecies of Daniel none of the age ending timeline starts until the man of lawlessness or King of the North is established and affirms Israel's right to the land.
Sure. That makes sense as the 70th week of Daniel is about the people of Daniel.

Daniel 9
24 Seventy weeks are determined upon thy people and upon thy holy city, to finish the transgression, and to make an end of sins, and to make reconciliation for iniquity, and to bring in everlasting righteousness, and to seal up the vision and prophecy, and to anoint the most Holy.

Either way, neither can happen without the antichrist. While our focus is not on him, when we see him we know our redemption is near.
The Church will be in heaven before the seals are opened. See Revelation 4, twenty-four elders with crowns meaning that Jesus has come and the kings and priests of the Church in heaven in Revelation 5

The 70th week will not begin until the fullness of the Gentiles comes in and part of Israel can see.
Romans 11
25 For I would not, brethren, that ye should be ignorant of this mystery, lest ye should be wise in your own conceits; that blindness in part is happened to Israel, until the fulness of the Gentiles be come in.

DavidTaylor

Sep 4, 2022
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
the fig tree likely refers to Israel.

Matthew 21: 19 “And when Jesus saw a fig tree in the way, he came to it, and found nothing thereon, but leaves only, and said unto it, Let no fruit grow on thee henceforward for ever. And presently the fig tree withered away. And when the disciples saw it, they marvelled, saying, How soon is the fig tree withered away!
Jesus saith unto them, Did ye never read in the scriptures, The stone which the builders rejected, the same is become the head of the corner: this is the Lord's doing, and it is marvellous in our eyes?Therefore say I unto you, The kingdom of God shall be taken from you, and given to a nation bringing forth the fruits thereof.”

Mark 11: 13 “And seeing a fig tree afar off having leaves, Jesus came, if haply he might find any thing thereon: and when he came to it, he found nothing but leaves; for the time of figs was not yet.And Jesus answered and said unto it, No man eat fruit of thee hereafter for ever. And in the morning, as they passed by, they saw the fig tree dried up from the roots. And Peter calling to remembrance saith unto him, Master, behold, the fig tree which thou cursedst is withered away.”

John 4:21 Jesus said, “the hour cometh, when ye shall neither in this mountain, nor yet at Jerusalem, worship the Father. Ye worship ye know not what: we know what we worship: for salvation is of the Jews. But the hour cometh, and now is, when the true worshippers shall worship the Father in spirit and in truth: for the Father seeketh such to worship him.”

John 8: 33 The Jews answered Jesus, “We be Abraham's seed, and were never in bondage to any man: how sayest thou, Ye shall be made free? I know that ye are Abraham's seed; but ye seek to kill me, because my word hath no place in you. I speak that which I have seen with my Father: and ye do that which ye have seen with your father. They answered and said unto him, Abraham is our father. Jesus saith unto them, If ye were Abraham's children, ye would do the works of Abraham. But now ye seek to kill me, a man that hath told you the truth, which I have heard of God: this did not Abraham. Ye do the deeds of your father. Then said they to him, We be not born of fornication; we have one Father, even God. Jesus said unto them, If God were your Father, ye would love me: for I proceeded forth and came from God; neither came I of myself, but he sent me. Why do ye not understand my speech? even because ye cannot hear my word. Ye are of your father the devil, and the lusts of your father ye will do. He was a murderer from the beginning, and abode not in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he speaketh a lie, he speaketh of his own: for he is a liar, and the father of it. And because I tell you the truth, ye believe me not. Which of you convinceth me of sin? And if I say the truth, why do ye not believe me? He that is of God heareth God's words: ye therefore hear them not, because ye are not of God.”

InfamousBerean

Jul 22, 2023
North East Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The fig tree has two harvests. The first crop is called the breba crop. One group is told that when these things begin to come to pass look up.

Luke 21
28 And when these things begin to come to pass, then look up, and lift up your heads; for your redemption draweth nigh.

This group, which are mostly Gentiles, are told that they can escape all these things that will come to pass.

Luke 21
36 Watch ye therefore, and pray always, that ye may be accounted worthy to escape all these things that shall come to pass, and to stand before the Son of man

The second harvest is called the main harvest. This group is told that when they see these things come to pass the kingdom of God is at hand. This group is the Jews.

Luke 21
31 So likewise ye, when ye see these things come to pass, know ye that the kingdom of God is nigh at hand.

Exactly and we know that the 70th week of Daniel is about the people of Daniel. The Church will already be in heaven when the abomination of desolation occurs.

The first harvest occurs in the summer. This is the mostly Gentile harvest. And what will the Jews say when they realize that they missed the summer harvest?

Jeremiah 8
20 The harvest is past, the summer is ended, and we are not saved.

It is the 12 tribes across the earth that will see all these thing. And yes. The second coming will occur immediately after the tribulation of those days.

Sure. That makes sense as the 70th week of Daniel is about the people of Daniel.

Daniel 9
24 Seventy weeks are determined upon thy people and upon thy holy city, to finish the transgression, and to make an end of sins, and to make reconciliation for iniquity, and to bring in everlasting righteousness, and to seal up the vision and prophecy, and to anoint the most Holy.

The Church will be in heaven before the seals are opened. See Revelation 4, twenty-four elders with crowns meaning that Jesus has come and the kings and priests of the Church in heaven in Revelation 5

The 70th week will not begin until the fullness of the Gentiles comes in and part of Israel can see.
Romans 11
25 For I would not, brethren, that ye should be ignorant of this mystery, lest ye should be wise in your own conceits; that blindness in part is happened to Israel, until the fulness of the Gentiles be come in.
That interpretation of Luke 21 is very complicated and confusing. Unfortunately it neglects the basic structural outline of the Olivet Discourse and basic principles of hermeneutics; namely that the simplest explanation is likely the right one and should be favored over a more complex alternative.

In the Olivet Discourse Jesus provides an outline of the end times (Luke 21:8-19; Matthew 24:4-14).
Then He discusses the time of Jacob's trouble, or the great tribulation, in greater detail (Luke 21:20-24; Matthew 24:15-28).

Next He answers His disciples question about the sign of His coming. Here He also provides that the resurrection takes place. (Luke 21:25-28; Matthew 24:29-31)

At this point Jesus pauses the chronological progression to provide warnings to His followers, the first being the parable of the fig tree. (Luke 21:29-33; Matthew 24:32-35) These parables are all concerning the event He just described.

After these warnings Jesus explains what happens next concerning those who claim to be His servant. (Matthew 25:31-46)

Of course being a dispensationalist you would believe it speaks only of Israel, dispensationalism is a system of theology that is dependent on the pre-tribulation rapture and overly ridged distinction between the Church and Israel. This system also attributes that some of the NT is not for the Church at all either.

I can not agree with those three tenants of Dispensationalism. Luke 21 only mentions the "harvest," as you called it, as being near the Cosmic signs immediately preceding the Day of the Lord. The same point that Matthew 24 attributes the gathering of His Elect. Everything else after is reflecting on the signs He just described.

If you really want thought provoking ideas, Revelation 16:15 paraphrase of several of the warnings immediately proceeding the 7th plague (Bowl).

Furthermore, the key signs (lightning, sounds, Thunder, Earthquake, etc.) are present in the 7th and 7th seal, the 7th trumpet, and the 7th Bowl.

Revelation 20:6 states the First resurrection is after the tribulation... but I suppose either First doesn't really mean First or that doesn't apply to the Church?

By the way, the time of the Gentiles ends with the tribulation... that's why the Gentiles are trampling the temple underfoot. Rev 11:2

Israel is not delivered from their chastisement until after the tribulation and fullness of the Gentiles.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230723_221029_Microsoft 365 (Office).jpg
    Screenshot_20230723_221029_Microsoft 365 (Office).jpg
    823.7 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The false Messiah crowned king? I must have skipped that page of the Bible. Where can I find it?
Yes, you did skip it.

Revelation 9 and 17.

Rev 9:11
And they had a king over them, which is the angel of the bottomless pit, whose name in the Hebrew tongue is Abaddon, but in the Greek tongue hath his name Apollyon.
KJV

That is about Satan himself. He is that angel that is over the bottomless pit, and it is he that will ascend out of the bottomless pit, and also eventually go into perdition of the future "lake of fire" at the end of Rev.20.

Rev 17:8
The beast that thou sawest was, and is not; and shall ascend out of the bottomless pit, and go into perdition: and they that dwell on the earth shall wonder, whose names were not written in the book of life from the foundation of the world, when they behold the beast that was, and is not, and yet is.
KJV

That is about that 'king' of Rev.9:11, Satan himself. Per Rev.13, the idea of 2 different types of beasts are written. The 1st beast that comes up out of the sea that has the ten horns, seven heads, and ten crowns represents a kingdom beast. The "another beast" that comes up out of the 'earth' and does miracles and speaks as a dragon, is Satan as a beast king. The Book of Daniel parallels this idea of beast kingdoms, and also beast kings over those kingdoms. Nebuchadnezzar himself was punished by going into a mental state where he lived literally like an animal (see Daniel 4).

The "little horn" of Daniel 7:8 that comes up among the ten horns, represents Satan as the endtime beast king. He 'was', meaning he was once exalted in God's Kingdom in the world prior to Adam and Eve, and then "is not" when God ended Satan's rebellion of old, and when he ascends out of the bottomless pit in final like verse 8 shows, that will be for his final role as the coming Antichrist at the end of this world. Another parallel about his being made king in Jerusalem for the end is in Daniel 11 about the "vile person" prophecy.

Rev 17:10-13
10 And there are seven kings: five are fallen, and one is,
and the other is not yet come; and when he cometh, he must continue a short space.

That "other" king that is not yet come which John mentions, is for our time at the end, the Antichrist. The 6th king was emperor Domitian in Apostle John's days. This 7th beast king comes up out of the 'earth', out of the bottomless pit, and that in no way applies to any flesh man.

11 And the beast that was, and is not, even he is the eighth, and is of the seven, and goeth into perdition.

Satan also will be the future 8th king, when he is loosed one final time to go deceive the nations after Christ's future "thousand years" reign of Rev.20.

12 And the ten horns which thou sawest are ten kings, which have received no kingdom as yet; but receive power as kings
one hour with the beast.
13 These have one mind, and shall give their power and strength unto the beast.
KJV

The ten horns of Daniel, and Rev.13:1, receive power as kings "one hour" (shortened time of the great tribulation), "with the beast". Because that statement is about the idea of power as kings, it means that "beast" is pointing the beast king for the end, the "little horn" that comes up among the ten horns in Daniel 7:8. That means there is to be 11 kings total reigning over the earth for the end.

Also, the one world government over all nations... that contradicts my Bible. I'd start with the book of Daniel. The kingdom of the Antichrist campaigns aginst nations. Obviously those nations are not under his system of government.

We must be careful not to cast our opinions as Biblical fact.
By that, you show you want to get away... from Biblical fact.

The coming beast kingdom of Rev.13:1 made up of ten horns, seven heads, and ten crowns, represents a ONE-WORLD BEAST KINGDOM over all nations. This is not a mystery. And there is plenty of historical evidence that show political evidence by those who support it.

The following Biblically proves it's coming existence over ALL nations for the end, as a prophetic event in God's Word...

Rev 13:4-8
And they worshipped the dragon which gave power unto the beast: and they worshipped the beast, saying, "Who is like unto the beast? who is able to make war with him?"

5 And there was given unto him a mouth speaking great things and blasphemies; and power was given unto him to continue forty and two months.

6 And he opened his mouth in blasphemy against God, to blaspheme His name, and His tabernacle, and them that dwell in heaven.

And it was given unto him to make war with the saints, and to overcome them: and power was given him over all kindreds, and tongues, and nations.

8 And all that dwell upon the earth shall worship him, whose names are not written in the book of life of the Lamb slain from the foundation of the world.
KJV

That means a ONE-WORLD GOVERNMENT.

Now if you desire to be deceived about that coming one world beast system, or even support it, then know that you will be working AGAINST GOD The Father and His Son Jesus Christ. So go... stay deceived if you want while DISREGARDING the simplicity in God's written Word about it, and believe on that false New World Order if you want, for Jesus is coming to CRUSH IT.

The Light

Mar 11, 2022
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That interpretation of Luke 21 is very complicated and confusing. Unfortunately it neglects the basic structural outline of the Olivet Discourse and basic principles of hermeneutics; namely that the simplest explanation is likely the right one and should be favored over a more complex alternative.

In the Olivet Discourse Jesus provides an outline of the end times (Luke 21:8-19; Matthew 24:4-14).
Then He discusses the time of Jacob's trouble, or the great tribulation, in greater detail (Luke 21:20-24; Matthew 24:15-28).
Thanks for the nice breakdown. However, it does not appear that you understand that Luke and Matthew are talking about different events in these verses.

Next He answers His disciples question about the sign of His coming. Here He also provides that the resurrection takes place. (Luke 21:25-28; Matthew 24:29-31)
Agreed.
At this point Jesus pauses the chronological progression to provide warnings to His followers, the first being the parable of the fig tree. (Luke 21:29-33; Matthew 24:32-35) These parables are all concerning the event He just described.

After these warnings Jesus explains what happens next concerning those who claim to be His servant. (Matthew 25:31-46)

Of course being a dispensationalist you would believe it speaks only of Israel, dispensationalism is a system of theology that is dependent on the pre-tribulation rapture and overly ridged distinction between the Church and Israel. This system also attributes that some of the NT is not for the Church at all either.
There is absolutely a distinction between the Church and Israel. Part of Israel cannot see until the fullness of the Gentiles comes in.
Romans 11

The fullness of the Gentiles will come in at the pretribulation rapture which is the barley and wheat harvest.
I can not agree with those three tenants of Dispensationalism. Luke 21 only mentions the "harvest," as you called it, as being near the Cosmic signs immediately preceding the Day of the Lord. The same point that Matthew 24 attributes the gathering of His Elect. Everything else after is reflecting on the signs He just described.
The harvest in Luke 21 and Matthew 24 can be found in Revelation 14.

4 And I looked, and behold a white cloud, and upon the cloud one sat like unto the Son of man, having on his head a golden crown, and in his hand a sharp sickle.

15 And another angel came out of the temple, crying with a loud voice to him that sat on the cloud, Thrust in thy sickle, and reap: for the time is come for thee to reap; for the harvest of the earth is ripe.

16 And he that sat on the cloud thrust in his sickle on the earth; and the earth was reaped.

17 And another angel came out of the temple which is in heaven, he also having a sharp sickle.

18 And another angel came out from the altar, which had power over fire; and cried with a loud cry to him that had the sharp sickle, saying, Thrust in thy sharp sickle, and gather the clusters of the vine of the earth; for her grapes are fully ripe.

19 And the angel thrust in his sickle into the earth, and gathered the vine of the earth, and cast it into the great winepress of the wrath of God.

If you really want thought provoking ideas, Revelation 16:15 paraphrase of several of the warnings immediately proceeding the 7th plague (Bowl).
Sorry. I am not following you brother.

Furthermore, the key signs (lightning, sounds, Thunder, Earthquake, etc.) are present in the 7th and 7th seal, the 7th trumpet, and the 7th Bowl.
The difference is that the voices, lightning, thunder and earthquakes of the 7th seal occur at the beginning of wrath. The same events of the trumpets and Vials occur at the end of wrath after Armageddon.

Revelation 20:6 states the First resurrection is after the tribulation... but I suppose either First doesn't really mean First or that doesn't apply to the Church?
The first resurrection is the resurrection of the righteous, The dead in Christ are righteous and they will be raised before the seals are opened.

In Daniel 12 we see another resurrection of the righteous just after the great tribulation
Daniel 12
And at that time shall Michael stand up, the great prince which standeth for the children of thy people: and there shall be a time of trouble, such as never was since there was a nation even to that same time: and at that time thy people shall be delivered, every one that shall be found written in the book.

2 And many of them that sleep in the dust of the earth shall awake, some to everlasting life, and some to shame and everlasting contempt.

Here is the great tribulation in Revelation 14

Revelation 14
13 And I heard a voice from heaven saying unto me, Write, Blessed are the dead which die in the Lord from henceforth: Yea, saith the Spirit, that they may rest from their labours; and their works do follow them.

And here is that harvest which is BEFORE WRATH.

Revelation 14

14 And I looked, and behold a white cloud, and upon the cloud one sat like unto the Son of man, having on his head a golden crown, and in his hand a sharp sickle.

15 And another angel came out of the temple, crying with a loud voice to him that sat on the cloud, Thrust in thy sickle, and reap: for the time is come for thee to reap; for the harvest of the earth is ripe.

16 And he that sat on the cloud thrust in his sickle on the earth; and the earth was reaped.

17 And another angel came out of the temple which is in heaven, he also having a sharp sickle.

18 And another angel came out from the altar, which had power over fire; and cried with a loud cry to him that had the sharp sickle, saying, Thrust in thy sharp sickle, and gather the clusters of the vine of the earth; for her grapes are fully ripe.

19 And the angel thrust in his sickle into the earth, and gathered the vine of the earth, and cast it into the great winepress of the wrath of God.

Here is the dead being judged after wrath which is what you are seeing in Revelation 20
Revelation 11
18 And the nations were angry, and thy wrath is come, and the time of the dead, that they should be judged, and that thou shouldest give reward unto thy servants the prophets, and to the saints, and them that fear thy name, small and great; and shouldest destroy them which destroy the earth.

By the way, the time of the Gentiles ends with the tribulation... that's why the Gentiles are trampling the temple underfoot. Rev 11:2

Israel is not delivered from their chastisement until after the tribulation and fullness of the Gentiles.
You are making a error here brother. FYI, The times of the Gentiles and fullness of the Gentiles are different events. You can probably search on the internet and get a good description the difference.

David in NJ

Jul 20, 2021
Denville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
NO!! Believers are not told to look for anti-Christ.
The Apostle John and the Prophet Daniel and the Apostle Paul wants you to know the Truth.

1 John 2:18
Little children, it is the last hour; and as you have heard that the Antichrist is coming, even now many antichrists have come,
by which we know that it is the last hour.

Daniel 9:26-27
“And after the sixty-two weeks
Messiah shall be cut off, but not for Himself;
And the people of the prince who is to come
Shall destroy the city and the sanctuary.
The end of it shall be with a flood,
And till the end of the war desolations are determined.
27Then he shall confirm a covenant with many for one week;
But in the middle of the week
He shall bring an end to sacrifice and offering.
And on the wing of abominations shall be one who makes desolate,
Even until the consummation, which is determined,
Is poured out on the desolate.”

2 Thessalonians 2:1-4
Now, brethren, concerning the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ and our gathering together to Him, we ask you, not to be soon shaken in mind or troubled, either by spirit or by word or by letter, as if from us, as though the day of Christ had come.
Let no one deceive you by any means; for that Day will not come unless the falling away comes first, and the man of sin is revealed,
the son of perdition, who opposes and exalts himself above all that is called God or that is worshiped, so that he sits as God in the temple of God, showing himself that he is God.

The Light

Mar 11, 2022
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, you did skip it.

Revelation 9 and 17.

Rev 9:11
And they had a king over them, which is the angel of the bottomless pit, whose name in the Hebrew tongue is Abaddon, but in the Greek tongue hath his name Apollyon.
KJV

That is about Satan himself. He is that angel that is over the bottomless pit, and it is he that will ascend out of the bottomless pit, and also eventually go into perdition of the future "lake of fire" at the end of Rev.20.

Rev 17:8
The beast that thou sawest was, and is not; and shall ascend out of the bottomless pit, and go into perdition: and they that dwell on the earth shall wonder, whose names were not written in the book of life from the foundation of the world, when they behold the beast that was, and is not, and yet is.
KJV

That is about that 'king' of Rev.9:11, Satan himself. Per Rev.13, the idea of 2 different types of beasts are written. The 1st beast that comes up out of the sea that has the ten horns, seven heads, and ten crowns represents a kingdom beast. The "another beast" that comes up out of the 'earth' and does miracles and speaks as a dragon, is Satan as a beast king. The Book of Daniel parallels this idea of beast kingdoms, and also beast kings over those kingdoms. Nebuchadnezzar himself was punished by going into a mental state where he lived literally like an animal (see Daniel 4).
That is not Satan in Revelation 9

Also, The beast that ascends out of the bottomless pit in Revelation 17 is Nimrod. The thing that hath been is that which shall be and that which is done is that which shall be done and there is no new thing under the sun.

Timtofly

Apr 9, 2020
Mount Morris
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
2 Thessalonians 2:1-5 does say to watch for the Antichrist though...
Not exactly. It says don't be decieved.

We are to watch for the real thing. When the counterfeit shows up we will know the difference. Why look for every counterfeit doctrine out there? Is it so you can point out that every counterfeit is not the AC?

Arthur81

Jul 9, 2023
Tampa, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
How Jeremiah 24 supports the idea that the fig tree represents Israel or is an emblem of Israel escapes me. The chapter speaks of two baskets of figs, one basket of good figs representing good Jews and the other basket of bad figs represents wicked Jews. This is a lame attempt to justify making Matt. 24:32 represent Israel by the budding of the fig tree. If you go to the web site of over 100 commentaries, the common understanding is succinctly stated by Adam Clarke -

"Verse 32. Learn a parable of the fig-tree — That is, These signs which I have given you will be as infallible a proof of the approaching ruin of the Jewish state as the budding of the trees is a proof of the coming summer."

That has been the usual understanding of the church before dispensationalism came on the scene around 1900. The idea that the fig tree represents Israel does not come from the Bible. It comes from Gnosticism!

"And I, Peter, answered and said unto him: Interpret unto me concerning the fig-tree, whereby we shall perceive it; for throughout all its days doth the fig-tree send forth shoots, and every year it bringeth forth its fruit for its master. What then meaneth the parable of the fig-tree? We know it not.

And the Master (Lord) answered and said unto me: Understandest thou not that the fig-tree is the house of Israel? Even as a man that planted a fig-tree in his garden, and it brought forth no fruit. And he sought the fruit thereof many years and when he found it not, he said to the keeper of his garden: Root up this fig-tree that it make not our ground to be unfruitful."

Check the commentaries on Comprehensive Overview of the Bible Commentaries available FREELY on StudyLight.org! and you'll only find the idea that the fig tree represents Israel in modern dispensationalism. It is part of their nutty ideas.

EclipseEventSigns

Jul 19, 2023
north america
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
The fig tree has two harvests. ...

Although you are correct that figs have two harvests in the middle east, you mix error in which does not validate your view. The first harvest of figs happens quite quickly after first leaf out in spring - usually at the end of April. btw, that's why we know the crucifixion could never have been in early April as is commonly stated. It must have been April 25, 31 AD.

But anyway, after that first harvest of unpollinated female flowers, the rest wait for the arrival of a wasp which pollinates the fruit. At the end of the summer. This is then the other harvest, the main harvest.

hiddenDate_part1_8.png

EclipseEventSigns

Jul 19, 2023
north america
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
How Jeremiah 24 supports the idea that the fig tree represents Israel or is an emblem of Israel escapes me. The chapter speaks of two baskets of figs, one basket of good figs representing good Jews and the other basket of bad figs represents wicked Jews. This is a lame attempt to justify making Matt. 24:32 represent Israel by the budding of the fig tree. If you go to the web site of over 100 commentaries, the common understanding is succinctly stated by Adam Clarke -

"Verse 32. Learn a parable of the fig-tree — That is, These signs which I have given you will be as infallible a proof of the approaching ruin of the Jewish state as the budding of the trees is a proof of the coming summer."

That has been the usual understanding of the church before dispensationalism came on the scene around 1900. The idea that the fig tree represents Israel does not come from the Bible. It comes from Gnosticism!

"And I, Peter, answered and said unto him: Interpret unto me concerning the fig-tree, whereby we shall perceive it; for throughout all its days doth the fig-tree send forth shoots, and every year it bringeth forth its fruit for its master. What then meaneth the parable of the fig-tree? We know it not.

And the Master (Lord) answered and said unto me: Understandest thou not that the fig-tree is the house of Israel? Even as a man that planted a fig-tree in his garden, and it brought forth no fruit. And he sought the fruit thereof many years and when he found it not, he said to the keeper of his garden: Root up this fig-tree that it make not our ground to be unfruitful."

Check the commentaries on Comprehensive Overview of the Bible Commentaries available FREELY on StudyLight.org! and you'll only find the idea that the fig tree represents Israel in modern dispensationalism. It is part of their nutty ideas.
The only problem with your statements is that it goes against the very words of Messiah Jesus.
[Luk 13:6-9 LSB] 6 And He was telling this parable: "A man had a fig tree which had been planted in his vineyard; and he came seeking fruit on it and did not find any. 7 "And he said to the vineyard-keeper, 'Behold, for three years I have come seeking fruit on this fig tree without finding any. Cut it down! Why does it even use up the ground?' 8 "And he answered and said to him, 'Let it alone, sir, for this year too, until I dig around it and put in manure, 9 and if it bears fruit next year, [fine], but if not, cut it down.'"

The interpretation of this is very obviously talking about the nation of Israel and how they did not fulfill their purpose given them by God at the Exodus. Their Messiah comes to them proclaiming the Kingdom of God, giving them another chance. But the nation rejected their Messiah and they were placed aside, cut down. The Gentiles who believed were grafted in as is very clearly explained by Paul.

Arthur81

Jul 9, 2023
Tampa, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The only problem with your statements is that it goes against the very words of Messiah Jesus.
[Luk 13:6-9 LSB] 6 And He was telling this parable: "A man had a fig tree which had been planted in his vineyard; and he came seeking fruit on it and did not find any. 7 "And he said to the vineyard-keeper, 'Behold, for three years I have come seeking fruit on this fig tree without finding any. Cut it down! Why does it even use up the ground?' 8 "And he answered and said to him, 'Let it alone, sir, for this year too, until I dig around it and put in manure, 9 and if it bears fruit next year, [fine], but if not, cut it down.'"

The interpretation of this is very obviously talking about the nation of Israel and how they did not fulfill their purpose given them by God at the Exodus. Their Messiah comes to them proclaiming the Kingdom of God, giving them another chance. But the nation rejected their Messiah and they were placed aside, cut down. The Gentiles who believed were grafted in as is very clearly explained by Paul.
When Jesus spoke "it is written" in refuting the devil, he was talking about scripture, not someone's interpretation of scripture. In like manner, in 1 Cor. 4:6 Paul states we are not to go beyond what is written, again meaning scripture. Your idea of the interpretation being obvious is not obvious to all.

John Calvin
"The substance of it is, that many are endured for a time who deserve to be cut off; but that they gain nothing by the delay, if they persist in their obstinacy. The wicked flattery, by which hypocrites are hardened, and become more obstinate, arises from this cause, that they do not think of their sins till they are compelled; and, therefore, so long as God winks at these, and delays his chastisements, they imagine that he is well satisfied with them." *No reference at all here to the Jews or Israel

John Gill

"'by his vineyard' may be meant, the Jewish nation; see Isa 5:1 which were his own nation and people, from whence he sprung, and to whom he was particularly sent, and among whom he had a special property; and may also be applied to the church of God in any age or nation, which is often compared to a vineyard, consisting of persons separated from the world, and planted with various plants, some fruitful, pleasant, profitable, and valuable, and are Christ's by his Father's gift, and his own purchase. And by "the fig tree planted" in it, may be principally meant the Scribes and Pharisees, and the generality of the Jewish people; who were plants, but not of Christ's Father's planting. *John Gill thinks the "vineyard" means Israel

Ellicott's Commentary

"When we come to details, however, serious difficulties present themselves. If we take the fig-tree as representing Israel, what are we to make of the vineyard? If the owner of the vineyard be Christ, who is the vine-dresser? Do the three years refer to the actual duration of our Lord’s ministry? Answers to these questions will be found in the following considerations:—(1) The vineyard is uniformly in the parabolic language of Scripture the symbol of Israel."

St Augustine
"The fig-tree is the human race. And the three years are the three times; one before the Law, the second under the Law, the third under grace. Now there is nothing unsuitable in understanding by the fig-tree the human race. For when the first man sinned, he covered his nakedness with fig-leaves; covered those members, from which we derive our birth. For what before his sin should have been his glory, after sin became his shame. So before that, they were naked, and were not ashamed. For they had no reason to blush, when no sin had gone before; nor could they blush for their Creator's works, because they had not yet mingled any evil work of their own with the good works of their Creator. For they had not yet eaten of the tree of knowledge of good and evil, of which they had been forbidden to eat. After then that they had eaten and sinned, the human race sprang from them; that is, man from man, debtor from debtor, mortal from mortal, sinner from sinner. In this tree then he entitles those, who through the whole range of time would not bear fruit; and for this cause the axe was hanging over the unfruitful tree. The gardener intercedes for it, punishment is deferred, that help may be administered. Now the gardener who intercedes, is every saint who within the Church prays for those who are without the Church."

EclipseEventSigns

Jul 19, 2023
north america
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
When Jesus spoke "it is written" in refuting the devil, he was talking about scripture, not someone's interpretation of scripture. In like manner, in 1 Cor. 4:6 Paul states we are not to go beyond what is written, again meaning scripture. Your idea of the interpretation being obvious is not obvious to all.

John Calvin
"The substance of it is, that many are endured for a time who deserve to be cut off; but that they gain nothing by the delay, if they persist in their obstinacy. The wicked flattery, by which hypocrites are hardened, and become more obstinate, arises from this cause, that they do not think of their sins till they are compelled; and, therefore, so long as God winks at these, and delays his chastisements, they imagine that he is well satisfied with them." *No reference at all here to the Jews or Israel

John Gill

"'by his vineyard' may be meant, the Jewish nation; see Isa 5:1 which were his own nation and people, from whence he sprung, and to whom he was particularly sent, and among whom he had a special property; and may also be applied to the church of God in any age or nation, which is often compared to a vineyard, consisting of persons separated from the world, and planted with various plants, some fruitful, pleasant, profitable, and valuable, and are Christ's by his Father's gift, and his own purchase. And by "the fig tree planted" in it, may be principally meant the Scribes and Pharisees, and the generality of the Jewish people; who were plants, but not of Christ's Father's planting. *John Gill thinks the "vineyard" means Israel

Ellicott's Commentary

"When we come to details, however, serious difficulties present themselves. If we take the fig-tree as representing Israel, what are we to make of the vineyard? If the owner of the vineyard be Christ, who is the vine-dresser? Do the three years refer to the actual duration of our Lord’s ministry? Answers to these questions will be found in the following considerations:—(1) The vineyard is uniformly in the parabolic language of Scripture the symbol of Israel."

St Augustine
"The fig-tree is the human race. And the three years are the three times; one before the Law, the second under the Law, the third under grace. Now there is nothing unsuitable in understanding by the fig-tree the human race. For when the first man sinned, he covered his nakedness with fig-leaves; covered those members, from which we derive our birth. For what before his sin should have been his glory, after sin became his shame. So before that, they were naked, and were not ashamed. For they had no reason to blush, when no sin had gone before; nor could they blush for their Creator's works, because they had not yet mingled any evil work of their own with the good works of their Creator. For they had not yet eaten of the tree of knowledge of good and evil, of which they had been forbidden to eat. After then that they had eaten and sinned, the human race sprang from them; that is, man from man, debtor from debtor, mortal from mortal, sinner from sinner. In this tree then he entitles those, who through the whole range of time would not bear fruit; and for this cause the axe was hanging over the unfruitful tree. The gardener intercedes for it, punishment is deferred, that help may be administered. Now the gardener who intercedes, is every saint who within the Church prays for those who are without the Church."
I notice you are quoting men. I quoted Scripture. I choose Scripture.

Arthur81

Jul 9, 2023
Tampa, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I notice you are quoting men. I quoted Scripture. I choose Scripture.
You had stated that your interpretation of the parable in Luke 13:6-9 obvious, to which I replied "Your idea of the interpretation being obvious is not obvious to all." I then quoted interpretations of various men of God in history to whom your interpretation was not so "obvious"! Try a little reading comprehension before making silly replies.