Parable of the Fig Tree

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

EclipseEventSigns

Jul 19, 2023
north america
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
You had stated that your interpretation of the parable in Luke 13:6-9 obvious, to which I replied "Your idea of the interpretation being obvious is not obvious to all." I then quoted interpretations of various men of God in history to whom your interpretation was not so "obvious"! Try a little reading comprehension before making silly replies.
The fact that some people publish wrong statements does not change the fact that the parable is obvious in subject matter. Look at your own replies. You read the words and you don't understand it either. That is in fact, the purpose of parables.

[Mat 13:13 LSB] 13 "Therefore I speak to them in parables; because while seeing they do not see, and while hearing they do not hear, nor do they understand.

Last edited:

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
[Luk 13:6-9 LSB] 6 And He was telling this parable: "A man had a fig tree which had been planted in his vineyard; and he came seeking fruit on it and did not find any. 7 "And he said to the vineyard-keeper, 'Behold, for three years I have come seeking fruit on this fig tree without finding any. Cut it down! Why does it even use up the ground?' 8 "And he answered and said to him, 'Let it alone, sir, for this year too, until I dig around it and put in manure, 9 and if it bears fruit next year, [fine], but if not, cut it down.'"

In this parable, Jesus is telling Israel that if there is no fruit at the end of the fourth age of their existence, then He is happy for God to remove the fig tree from the Garden that he has planted.

This parable ties in with Exodus 20-4-6 and Romans 11:25-26.

I believe that Israel have got the message and are actively seeking God's face so that they can connect once more with Him.

Matt 24:32 is a single verse prophecy as to when the end of this present age will conclude. If Israel does not repent of their sins of continual idolatrous worship by then, then God will not begin to gather them to Himself and plant them in fertile soil or teach them, based on the foundation stone that comes down out of heaven that becomes the biggest mountain in all of the earth after that time.

We need to be careful in our understanding of the scriptures.

Shalom

EclipseEventSigns

Jul 19, 2023
north america
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
In this parable, Jesus is telling Israel that if there is no fruit at the end of the fourth age of their existence, then He is happy for God to remove the fig tree from the Garden that he has planted.

This parable ties in with Exodus 20-4-6 and Romans 11:25-26.

I believe that Israel have got the message and are actively seeking God's face so that they can connect once more with Him.

Matt 24:32 is a single verse prophecy as to when the end of this present age will conclude. If Israel does not repent of their sins of continual idolatrous worship by then, then God will not begin to gather them to Himself and plant them in fertile soil or teach them, based on the foundation stone that comes down out of heaven that becomes the biggest mountain in all of the earth after that time.

We need to be careful in our understanding of the scriptures.

Shalom
Yes, it is obvious you would have an incorrect interpretation here too.

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Yes, it is obvious you would have an incorrect interpretation here too.

Pray tell me how the LSB translates Romans 11:25-26? Have they too embraced the replacement theology that tells us that only after the fullness of the gentiles has comes in, that all of Israel will be saved.

Timtofly

Apr 9, 2020
Mount Morris
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Although you are correct that figs have two harvests in the middle east, you mix error in which does not validate your view. The first harvest of figs happens quite quickly after first leaf out in spring - usually at the end of April. btw, that's why we know the crucifixion could never have been in early April as is commonly stated. It must have been April 25, 31 AD.

But anyway, after that first harvest of unpollinated female flowers, the rest wait for the arrival of a wasp which pollinates the fruit. At the end of the summer. This is then the other harvest, the main harvest.

View attachment 35226
Can't argue with a Calendar that states they left Egypt in the first month of the year. Nisan is no longer the first month of the year.

Are you saying they actually left Egypt in the Fall, and someone totally changed the Calendar to say they left in the Spring?

If Jesus cursed the fig tree, that would have been early Spring. He did that a week before the crucifixion. No?

There was no Israel in the first century, only Jews. The fig tree was the curse on Jerusalem and Jews, as Israel was already punished in 720BC.

EclipseEventSigns

Jul 19, 2023
north america
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Ok. Really not understanding why you are having so many misunderstandings.
Can't argue with a Calendar that states they left Egypt in the first month of the year. Nisan is no longer the first month of the year.
Nisan is stated by God to the be first month of the Jewish year. The start of when the Feasts happen. Tishri is the start of the legal year.
Are you saying they actually left Egypt in the Fall, and someone totally changed the Calendar to say they left in the Spring?
Never said or implied anything of the sort.
If Jesus cursed the fig tree, that would have been early Spring. He did that a week before the crucifixion. No?
Not early spring. Never said that. And yes, the fig tree incident was just before the crucifixion. That's why the crucifixion HAD to be be at the end of April. When the first fig harvest becomes ripe.
There was no Israel in the first century, only Jews. The fig tree was the curse on Jerusalem and Jews, as Israel was already punished in 720BC.
There was no nation called Israel any more. Correct. But the people were still called Israel.
[Mat 8:10 LSB] 10 Now when Jesus heard [this], He marveled and said to those who were following, "Truly I say to you, I have not found such great faith with anyone in Israel.
[Jhn 3:10 LSB] 10 Jesus answered and said to him, "Are you the teacher of Israel and do not understand these things?
[Act 3:12 LSB] 12 But when Peter saw [this], he replied to the people, "Men of Israel, why do you marvel at this, or why do you gaze at us, as if by our own power or piety we had made him walk?

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
One sign would be the budding and leafing of the fig tree and all the trees.
Actually, that was the analogy Jesus used, but not the signs themself.

Matthew 24:32-33 KJV
32) Now learn a parable of the fig tree; When his branch is yet tender, and putteth forth leaves, ye know that summer is nigh:
33) So likewise ye, when ye shall see all these things, know that it is near, even at the doors.

Just like you know that summer is coming when you see the trees budding, you'll in the same way know Jesus is coming as these prophecies are being fulfilled.

The parable of the fig tree is exactly that, a parable.

Much love!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Assuredly, I say to you, this generation will by no means pass away till all things take place.”
"This generation" won't work for a generation not alive yet. That would have to be "that generation".

Generation (genea) in the Greek can mean, "All who were born at this time", or, "All who are alive at this time", or, "All who are from this line of people".

In that Jesus said, "this generation", if we should conclude that His words refer to people at the end of the age, that is, people who were not yet born in His day, then the only definition that fits the grammar is that He was saying, This generation, that is, this people-group, that is, the Jews, will not all die.

This is in keeping with what Jesus had just prophesied moments before, that if those days had not been shortened no flesh would survive, but for the sake of "the chosen", the days had been cut short. That is, everyone would be dead if this thing were not stopped, but for the sake of Israel, it's cut short.

And this is likewise in keeping with the many many OT prophecies assuring us of the preservation of Israel.

Saying "this generation" meaning a group of people not yet born is improper grammar, and it shouldn't be taken that way. The only generation that would be present with Jesus, yet alive at the end of the age, is the people-group of Israel.

Much love!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And what exactly is the purpose of a parable?
Not to give a calendar code, but to teach a truth through a familiar scene.

In this case, everyone knew that a greening tree meant springtime and soon summer. So Jesus is saying, "this is the same kind of thing, that seeing buds on a tree is like seeing My prophecies being fulfilled. Just like you know summer is coming, you'll know I'm coming."

Much love!

ewq1938

Jul 11, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"This generation" won't work for a generation not alive yet. That would have to be "that generation".

That is false.

Mat 24:34 Verily I say unto you, This generation shall not pass, till all these things be fulfilled.

this:

G3778
houtos houtoi haute¯ hautai
hoo'-tos, hoo'-toy, how'-tay, how'-tahee
Including the nominative masculine plural (second form), nominative feminine signular (third form), and the nominate feminine plural, (fourth form). From the article G3588 and G846; the he (she or it), that is, this or that (often with the article repeated): - he (it was that), hereof, it, she, such as, the same, these, they, this (man, same, woman), which, who.

The verse equally can be translated as, "Verily I say unto you, THAT generation shall not pass, till all these things be fulfilled."

Many people use "this generation" as supposed proof Jesus meant the one he lived in and was speaking to but that is faulty since the word equally can mean "that" so we would have "that generation".

Since the generation he lived in and was speaking to did not see the sun and moon go dark, stars fall, the sign of the son of man nor saw the son of man coming, nor the angels gathering the elect which would have included the disciples means without a doubt Jesus was speaking of a future generation.

Additionally, you can talk about a future generation and refer to it as "this generation". Example, "The generation of 3000AD will populate other planets. This generation will be known as the Space Generation."

Equally a past generation can be referred to as "that generation".

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That is false.

Mat 24:34 Verily I say unto you, This generation shall not pass, till all these things be fulfilled.

this:

G3778
houtos houtoi haute¯ hautai
Including the nominative masculine plural (second form), nominative feminine signular (third form), and the nominate feminine plural, (fourth form). From the article G3588 and G846; the he (she or it), that is, this or that (often with the article repeated): - he (it was that), hereof, it, she, such as, the same, these, they, this (man, same, woman), which, who.

No, I don't believe it can be properly translated "that generation", referring to one that is far away.

Here's from Thayer:

Thayer's Greek Lexicon
STRONGS NT 3778: οὗτος

οὗτος, αὕτη, τοῦτο, demonstrative pronoun (cf. Curtius, p. 543), Hebrew זֶה, זֹאת, this; used:
I. absolutely.

a. this one, visibly present here: Matthew 3:17; Matthew 17:5; Mark 9:7; Luke 7:44; Luke 9:35; 2 Peter 1:17. Matthew 9:3; Matthew 21:38; Mark 14:69; Luke 2:34; Luke 23:2; John 1:15, 30; John 7:25; John 9:8f, 19; John 18:21, 30; John 21:21; Acts 2:15; Acts 4:10; Acts 9:21; according to the nature and character of the person or thing mentioned, it is used with a suggestion — either of contempt, as Matthew 13:55; Mark 6:2; Luke 5:21; Luke 7:39, 49; John 6:42, 52; John 7:15; or of admiration, Matthew 21:11; Acts 9:21; cf. Wahl, Clavis apocryphor. V. T., p. 370.

Houtos is used 306 times in the NT. It is translated "this" 193 times. It is translated "these" 69 times, "same" 37 times. So then out of 306 instances, 299 show this property of nearness.

Here is a place not translated that way:

Acts 13:7 KJV
Which was with the deputy of the country, Sergius Paulus, a prudent man; who called for Barnabas and Saul, and desired to hear the word of God.

Another:

Matthew 9:26 KJV
And the fame hereof went abroad into all that land.

These show the same sense of nearness.

nor the angels gathering the elect which would have included the disciples means without a doubt Jesus was speaking of a future generation.
Except that houtos has the connotation of nearness. So then the "generation" that is near is the nation.

Much love!

ewq1938

Jul 11, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No, I don't believe it can be properly translated "that generation", referring to one that is far away.

It can. I already showed that.

Here's from Thayer:

Thayer's Greek Lexicon
STRONGS NT 3778: οὗτος

οὗτος, αὕτη, τοῦτο, demonstrative pronoun (cf. Curtius, p. 543), Hebrew זֶה, זֹאת, this; used:
I. absolutely.

a. this one, visibly present here: Matthew 3:17; Matthew 17:5; Mark 9:7; Luke 7:44; Luke 9:35; 2 Peter 1:17. Matthew 9:3; Matthew 21:38; Mark 14:69; Luke 2:34; Luke 23:2; John 1:15, 30; John 7:25; John 9:8f, 19; John 18:21, 30; John 21:21; Acts 2:15; Acts 4:10; Acts 9:21; according to the nature and character of the person or thing mentioned, it is used with a suggestion — either of contempt, as Matthew 13:55; Mark 6:2; Luke 5:21; Luke 7:39, 49; John 6:42, 52; John 7:15; or of admiration, Matthew 21:11; Acts 9:21; cf. Wahl, Clavis apocryphor. V. T., p. 370.

Houtos is used 306 times in the NT. It is translated "this" 193 times. It is translated "these" 69 times, "same" 37 times. So then out of 306 instances, 299 show this property of nearness.

Nothing you cited shows That. Your citation doesn't even mention Matthew 24:34. You alone are deciding "this" has to mean something near when there is no rule for that plus you are denying the Greek word can be translated "that" simply based on your belief (with no backing) that the Greek word has to mean "this" and that has to refer to something near. All fallacies on your part.

Strongs:

G3778
οὗτος, οὗτοι, αὕτη, αὕται
houtos houtoi hautē hautai
Total KJV occurrences: 352

Except that houtos has the connotation of nearness.

No, it does not.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It can. I already showed that.

Nothing you cited shows That. Your citation doesn't even mention Matthew 24:34. You alone are deciding "this" has to mean something near when there is no rule for that plus you are denying the Greek word can be translated "that" simply based on your belief (with no backing) that the Greek word has to mean "this" and that has to refer to something near. All fallacies on your part.

Strongs:

G3778
οὗτος, οὗτοι, αὕτη, αὕται
houtos houtoi hautē hautai
Total KJV occurrences: 352

No, it does not.
I'd suggest to you that you actually look at the usage throughout the NT on this. As you wish.

Much love!

ewq1938

Jul 11, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'd suggest to you that you actually look at the usage throughout the NT on this. As you wish.

Much love!

You can't redefine the word. It can and does mean "this or that". There is no specific meaning of only nearness as you claim. Saying "this generation" only means a specific generation is being spoken of. There is no additional meaning of it being a near generation and even what you quoted did not list verse 34 as having the meaning of "a. this one, visibly present here" Your own citation did not support your claims.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You can't redefine the word. It can and does mean "this or that". There is no specific meaning of only nearness as you claim. Saying "this generation" only means a specific generation is being spoken of. There is no additional meaning of it being a near generation and even what you quoted did not list verse 34 as having the meaning of "a. this one, visibly present here" Your own citation did not support your claims.
Try the word study . . . nearness . . .

Much love!

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
hello

The Greek word "genea" strong suggests has the meaning of and "Age" or "Generation." In the Old Testament H:1755 Dor has the following meaning: -

Strong's Exhaustive Concordance
age, evermore, generation, never, posterity
Or (shortened) dor {dore}; from duwr; properly, a revolution of time, i.e. An age or generation; also a dwelling -- age, X evermore, generation, (n-)ever, posterity.

Such that in Genesis 15:16 God told Abraham that some of his descendants would return to the Land of Canaan in their own strength during the fourth Age, i.e., 1948, around 4,000 years by my calculations from when Isaac was born.

The Matt 24:34 verse tells us that the age when Matt 24:15-31 unfolds, will occur over the duration of the Millennium Age.

Shalom

The Light

Mar 11, 2022
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Clearly, it's been more than a generation since Israel became a modern State. 75 years.
Or maybe not so clear.

Psalms 90:10
10 The days of our years are threescore years and ten; and if by reason of strength they be fourscore years, yet is their strength labour and sorrow; for it is soon cut off, and we fly away.

A generation of strength is 80 years. The generation that sees the fig tree put forth leaves will not pass away until all these things come to pass.

All these things are false Christs, wars and rumors of wars, famines, pestilences, The Great Tribulation, and the coming of Jesus at the 6th seal.

The fig tree put forth leaves in 1948. A generation of strength is 80 years. Adding 80 to 1948 gets you to 2028. If Jesus comes for the second (rapture) harvest, which is the gathering from heaven and earth, when we fly away, that flying away occurs after the tribulation and before the wrath of God. This harvest before wrath In 2028 would line up perfectly with the asteriod, Apophis, that comes in April of 2029. Strangely an asteroid comes in the 3rd trumpet of wrath.

Nothing to see here. It's just a coincidence. Yeah right..............

ewq1938

Jul 11, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Or maybe not so clear.

Psalms 90:10
10 The days of our years are threescore years and ten; and if by reason of strength they be fourscore years, yet is their strength labour and sorrow; for it is soon cut off, and we fly away.

A generation of strength is 80 years.

There is no such thing. This is speaking about some people's lifespans. Some live 70 years, some 80. Has nothing to do with Christ saying one generation would live to see all the events he described in the OD.

The Light

Mar 11, 2022
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There is no such thing. This is speaking about some people's lifespans. Some live 70 years, some 80. Has nothing to do with Christ saying one generation would live to see all the events he described in the OD.
Hmmmm.

Matthew 24 tells us that this generation, the generation that sees the fig put forth leaves, will not pass away until all the things spoken in Matthew 24 have occurred.

Psalm 90 tells us that a generation is 70 years long, but a generation of strength is 80 years. Do you think these numbers mean nothing? The Word of God is absolutely full of numbers. They are there for a reason.

Do you think , "and we fly away" is there for no reason? The Church will have already flown away before this happens as the fig tree has two harvests. LEARN THE PARABLE OF THE FIG TREE.

Matthew 13
13 Therefore speak I to them in parables: because they seeing see not; and hearing they hear not, neither do they understand.

Some see and understand, and some don't. The Lord is clear about that.

Psalm 90
9 For all our days are passed away in thy wrath: we spend our years as a tale that is told.

11 Who knoweth the power of thine anger? even according to thy fear, so is thy wrath.

12 So teach us to number our days, that we may apply our hearts unto wisdom.

13 Return, O Lord, how long? and let it repent thee concerning thy servants.

14 O satisfy us early with thy mercy; that we may rejoice and be glad all our days.

Do you think that "Return O Lord, how long?", is in these verses for no reason" Some see, some don't.