Parable of the Ten Virgins

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Says you.. :)
just because you just read the words..does not mean that God has not hidden his wisdom within his parables...even Jesus proved that do not mean what the average man thinks they mean...if so they would need interpretation.

I don't get what you are saying here about buying! View attachment 8052

The five wise didn't need to add to their 'oil'...they had enough...they didn't go to buy.

Your rebuke is not warranted. There I show actual Scripture to back up the virgin subject from Apostle Paul in 2 Corinthians 11:2, as he was pulling from Isaiah 54 about God being our Husband, and you guys say that I'm theorizing too much???!@%%@!??

I'm so.... tired of these kind of false accusations by those who haven't studied enough Bible Scripture for themselves to even know what I'm talking about.

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I understand what you are saying about the hirelings. But now, if they could not "buy" what the oil represented, then why does Jesus have the wise virgins telling them to do exactly that?

Matt 25:10
10 And while they went to buy, the bridegroom came; and they that were ready went in with him to the marriage: and the door was shut.
KJV

Since the Oil represents The Holy Spirit in the parable, we know it cannot be bought. But the reprobate mind would think to be able, like Simon the sorcerer in Acts 8. To me the 'hireling' is on the same level, treating God's Work as the business of buying and selling. And truly, there are many so-called preachers out there that treat it just like a business, getting money as their main desire.

Luke 12:36-40
36 And ye yourselves like unto men that wait for their lord, when he will return from the wedding; that when he cometh and knocketh, they may open unto him immediately.

37 Blessed are those servants, whom the lord when he cometh shall find watching: verily I say unto you, that he shall gird himself, and make them to sit down to meat, and will come forth and serve them.
38 And if he shall come in the second watch, or come in the third watch, and find them so, blessed are those servants.
39 And this know, that if the goodman of the house had known what hour the thief would come, he would have watched, and not have suffered his house to be broken through.
40 Be ye therefore ready also: for the Son of man cometh at an hour when ye think not.

KJV

In that Luke 12:36 verse we're given a direct parallel to the setting of the ten virgins parable, Christ's servants waiting on His return.

Matt 25:10
10 And while they went to buy, the bridegroom came; and they that were ready went in with him to the marriage: and the door was shut.
KJV

So what's the main command per that Luke 12 Scripture for us to be doing, along with that waiting? We are to be watching. But is that about just 'waiting', or is it something else, like involving the signs He gave us to be watching so to be prepared for His coming? It's the latter. In Matthew 24, just prior to the Matthew 25 ten virgins parable, He had just given us the seven main signs of the end of this world leading up to His return and gathering of His saints.

Also notice in this verse, the subject of the thief breaking in is part of that...

Luke 12:39 And this know, that if the goodman of the house had known what hour the thief would come, he would have watched, and not have suffered his house to be broken through.

"...had known in what hour the thief would come..."? Yeah, in what watch even. That's what watching the seven signs give, not the hour or day, but the times and the seasons leading up to Christ's 2nd coming.

So to kind of summarize what I'm saying:
Our Lord Jesus' ten virgin's parable is linked to the timing of the very end of this world, just prior to our Lord Jesus' return. That means it is linked to the signs of the end He gave us to be watching for His return, that were given in the previous Matthew 24 chapter. And what was His main warning in that previous chapter? He warned of a coming pseudo-Christ that's to come working great signs and wonders, and thus to not be deceived, don't believe on that coming false one. And He used the idea of wise 'virgins' to represent His faithful, while the foolish virgins represent the un-faithful.

It is connected with this in Matthew 7:

Matt 7:21-23
21 Not every one that saith unto Me, "Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of My Father Which is in heaven."
22 Many will say to Me in that day, "Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in Thy name? and in Thy name have cast out devils? and in Thy name done many wonderful works?"

23 And then will I profess unto them, "I never knew you: depart from Me, ye that work iniquity."
KJV

Those are believers on Him that say, "Lord, Lord, have we not..."? But they worked iniquity, showing their understanding lacked something, pointing to deception.

Last edited:

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Says you.. :)
just because you just read the words..does not mean that God has not hidden his wisdom within his parables...even Jesus proved that do not mean what the average man thinks they mean...if so they would need interpretation.

I don't get what you are saying here about buying! View attachment 8052

The five wise didn't need to add to their 'oil'...they had enough...they didn't go to buy.

Sorry I snapped. I will take time to answer your honest question about what I said concerning buying.

I had said regarding the idea of prayer as buying...
--------------------------------------
"I don't see the idea of 'buying' in that at all for the five 'wise' virgins who go in with The Bridegroom.

Adding to that parable to make the idea of buying through prayer a factor really is just a man-made analogy, not really part of the parable."
---------------------------------

The idea of 'buying' in the ten virgins parable is about the five FOOLISH virgins thinking to be able to buy The Oil (Holy Spirit). Our prayers go up to God, but they are not The Holy Spirit. Instead, The Holy Spirit Comforter is our Guide, our Teacher (John 14:26).

In essence then, the Oil in their lamps represents receiving understanding by The Holy Spirit, which the OP also agrees, since it was said the virgin's lamps represent their understanding of the word of God, and the Oil which gives light to God's Word (see the op's first post).

Now then -- there is SAYS ME!

Reactions: Helen

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
The idea of 'buying' in the ten virgins parable is about the five FOOLISH virgins thinking to be able to buy The Oil (Holy Spirit). Our prayers go up to God, but they are not The Holy Spirit. Instead, The Holy Spirit Comforter is our Guide, our Teacher (John 14:26).

In essence then, the Oil in their lamps represents receiving understanding by The Holy Spirit, which the OP also agrees, since it was said the virgin's lamps represent their understanding of the word of God, and the Oil which gives light to God's Word (see the op's first post).

Now then -- there is SAYS ME!

Thanks for taking time to reply...sorry I reacted to your snap!! :D

I have not considered this before...to me if they are virgins then they are truly His.

But I'll take what you and go and marinate it..and see if the Lord shows it like he did in your post. I may have been on this spiritual journey many decades....but my prayer has alway been "Lord keep me teachable "

I hate it when I post to someone and can tell the persons mind is closed to any further light on the subject.

Thanks for taking the time bro.

Reactions: Davy

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sorry, I didn't know Tim LaHaye's pre-trib rapture usage of the "left behind" phrase also applied to post-trib-pre-wrath.

Yeah. Never even read that book, so borrowing from him wasn't in the cards : )
Not at all. If you had actually studied the 2 Corinthians 11:2 "chaste virgin" being espoused to "one Husband" subject, which Apostle Paul taught from the Old Testament prophets, you would have understood why our Lord Jesus used the virgin metaphor in this parable. In Isaiah 54 God said He is our Husband. The idea of God espousing His faithful occurs in several OT Scriptures (Hosea 2:19; Isaiah 54; Jeremiah 31:32; Isaiah 62:5). Paul uses the metaphor also in Romans 7:4, Ephesians 5:25, and of course in 2 Corinthians 11. In Luke 23:27-30, our Lord Jesus quoted the Isaiah 54 "Blessed are the barren, and the wombs that never bare, and the paps which never gave suck" to the "Daughters of Jerusalem" that were weeping for Him when He carried His cross to be crucified. I've tried to explain this Biblical metaphor to brethren here, but I can tell they are very weak in OT Bible study and aren't familiar with it, but will claim I just made it up too, like you have.

If you had been familiar with that idea, you possibly would not have left out the fact that Jesus showed the five wise virgins ALSO had a spare vessel of the Oil, to go with the Oil that was in their lamps.

Maybe I didn't make myself very clear, but I was referring more to this part here:
So this Scripture idea for the end involves the spiritual metaphor of remaining either a chaste spiritual virgin waiting for Jesus, or instead falling away to worship another in His place and instead being found a spiritual harlot when He shows up.

I understand the concepts you are teaching here. I'm just saying that in this parable there is no direct reference to worshipping the Antichrist or being found a spiritual harlot. I'm very strict when it comes to interpreting parables, and read nothing more into them than what is actually being mentioned and discussed, while being careful not to ignore anything that actually is.

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This is why I am thinking HiddeninHim is correct in his interpretation of the parable of the 10 virgins being about leadership. Because I believe the sheep and the goats are for everyone else, because of the context.

All the nations will be gathered before Him; and He will separate them from one another, as the shepherd separates the sheep from the goats; and He will put the sheep on His right, and the goats on the left.
Matthew 25:32‭-‬33 NASB

While with the wise and foolish virgins, it was only talking about a select few.

Very good : )

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Since the Oil represents The Holy Spirit in the parable, we know it cannot be bought.

But you are starting off by directly contradicting Jesus' words here. He stated very clearly that they can be bought. :confused:
Our Lord Jesus' ten virgin's parable is linked to the timing of the very end of this world, just prior to our Lord Jesus' return. That means it is linked to the signs of the end He gave us to be watching for His return, that were given in the previous Matthew 24 chapter. And what was His main warning in that previous chapter? He warned of a coming pseudo-Christ that's to come working great signs and wonders

I can see now where you are getting your insertion of the Antichrist from the surrounding text, only I think the subject matter has changed by the time He hits Matthew 24:45. The subject matter at that point becomes entirely focused upon the responsibilities that the disciples would bear in taking spiritual care of His household.

Reactions: Giuliano

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Very good : )

Hey there...I want a very good too..:p

Who knew you would hit a home-run on number of posts on the first 24 hours. I know it wasn't quite what you had in mind...and we didn't behave as you requested ....children will misbehave......but you knocked it out of the ball park.

Giuliano

Aug 4, 2019
Carlisle
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Since the Oil represents The Holy Spirit in the parable, we know it cannot be bought. But the reprobate mind would think to be able, like Simon the sorcerer in Acts 8.
I for one do know that the oil represents the Holy Spirit. And it's the wise virgins who suggest the foolish ones go buy some. Reread it, you will see the foolish ones didn't come up with that idea.

The question may be if the corruptible can put on the incorruptible, if the mortal can put on immortality. I would say the oil is a gift of men and women offered to God on the Sacred Flames of the heart; and the Holy Spirit burns brightly when that sacrifice is offered. The oil which came from the earthly has taken on Divine Attributes of Spirit.

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hey there...I want a very good too..:p

Who knew you would hit a home-run on number of posts on the first 24 hours. I know it wasn't quite what you had in mind...and we didn't behave as you requested ....children will misbehave......but you knocked it out of the ball park.

Buried beyond all hope, LoL. I gave up trying to read thru that homosexual dream thread and just tried answering what was directed at me : )

And for all I know I've missed some of your posts....

So may I just say...

VERY
good! I couldn't agree with you more if my life depended on it, LoL!!

Reactions: Mayflower

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Havent read all the commentary on here, but can weeping and gnashing teeth mean something else then Hell. Because the foolish virgins seem like genuine believers who need to gain wisdom.
Jesus said he didn't know them.....isn't that interesting? Here we have a situation where the lack of oil is related to not knowing him.
I propose that they knew about him.....they knew all the teachings, the doctrines, they knew all the yada yada and I dare to say they presented a very 'nice' image but they didn't know him.

You probably know this but i'll say it anyway; to know somebody in the Hebrew way of understanding is to be intimate with them. In the western world we have inherited the Greek way of understanding so when we read 'know' we relate it to an intellectual exercise, eg, I know who the president is or my neighbour's kid. Its a removed impersonal understanding.

These guys, ie the five foolish where not genuine believers but they probably appeared to be so to others.

This parable is a wake up call to examine ourselves.....and again we hear the call of Jesus to be ready, to watch. This is particularly pertinent in our age/times.

Ohhhh, and the weeping and gnashing of teeth.....can you imagine the panic when Jesus appears in the clouds and many who thought they were on the right side missing out?.....there'll be weeping and gnashing of teeth alright. The penny will drop irreversibly when people realise the pseudo safety of their little clubs become as useless as spiderwebs.

Last edited:

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And it's the wise virgins who suggest the foolish ones go buy some. Reread it, you will see the foolish ones didn't come up with that idea.

Exactly and a good point which is completely ignored and sped over as a minor bump in the way. sending them Instead to those who sold doves(a novelty of the real thing) or to Simon to get gain: Acts 8:18-20 And when Simon saw that through laying on of the apostles' hands the Holy Ghost was given, he offered them money, [19] Saying, Give me also this power, that on whomsoever I lay hands, he may receive the Holy Ghost. [20] But Peter said unto him, Thy money perish with thee, because thou hast thought that the gift of God may be purchased with money.

Very confusing, No “humble yourself before God”, no “become poor that you may become rich” instead “go to those who sell.” Confusing the wise(said to be)full of the Spirit of God—a life-giving Spirit—Yet they wouldn’t give, or lose their life for the sake of another, or love their neighbor as they love themselves when The Son of God gave His Life for the life of the World. We call it good. then call it good that they wouldn’t.

James 4:10-17 Humble yourselves in the sight of the Lord, and he shall lift you up. [11] Speak not evil one of another, brethren. He that speaketh evil of his brother, and judgeth his brother, speaketh evil of the law, and judgeth the law: but if thou judge the law, thou art not a doer of the law, but a judge. [12] There is one lawgiver, who is able to save and to destroy: who art thou that judgest another? [13] Go to now, ye that say, To day or to morrow we will go into such a city, and continue there a year, and buy and sell, and get gain: [14] Whereas ye know not what shall be on the morrow. For what is your life? It is even a vapour, that appeareth for a little time, and then vanisheth away. [15] For that ye ought to say, If the Lord will, we shall live, and do this, or that. [16] But now ye rejoice in your boastings: all such rejoicing is evil. [17] Therefore to him that knoweth to do good, and doeth it not, to him it is sin.

Reactions: Giuliano

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus said he didn't know them.....isn't that interesting?

John 9:39-41 And Jesus said, For judgment I am come into this world, that they which see not might see; and that they which see might be made blind. [40] And some of the Pharisees which were with him heard these words, and said unto him, Are we blind also? [41] Jesus said unto them, If ye were blind, ye should have no sin: but now ye say, We see; therefore your sin remaineth.

Reactions: quietthinker

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yeah. Never even read that book, so borrowing from him wasn't in the cards : )

Well, you did use the phrase, so that's where I figured you were on that theory.

Maybe I didn't make myself very clear, but I was referring more to this part here:

I understand the concepts you are teaching here. I'm just saying that in this parable there is no direct reference to worshipping the Antichrist or being found a spiritual harlot. I'm very strict when it comes to interpreting parables, and read nothing more into them than what is actually being mentioned and discussed, while being careful not to ignore anything that actually is.

Then you have yet to really understand the analogy of a 'chaste' virgin that Apostle Paul used in 2 Corinthians 11:2.

His main message there is his fear that brethren might fall away to worship another Jesus, one that he and the Apostles did not preach.

I think The Living Bible puts it more bluntly what Apostle Paul was talking about there...

2 Cor 11:1-4
11:1 I hope you will be patient with me as I keep on talking like a fool. Do bear with me and let me say what is on my heart.
2 I am anxious for you with the deep concern of God himself-anxious that your love should be for Christ alone, just as a pure maiden saves her love for one man only, for the one who will be her husband.

3 But I am frightened, fearing that in some way you will be led away from your pure and simple devotion to our Lord, just as Eve was deceived by Satan in the Garden of Eden.
4 You seem so gullible: you believe whatever anyone tells you even if he is preaching about another Jesus than the one we preach, or a different spirit than the Holy Spirit you received, or shows you a different way to be saved. You swallow it all.
5 Yet I don't feel that these marvelous "messengers from God," as they call themselves, are any better than I am.
6 If I am a poor speaker, at least I know what I am talking about, as I think you realize by now, for we have proved it again and again.
TLB

2 Cor 11:13-15
13 God never sent those men at all; they are "phonies" who have fooled you into thinking they are Christ's apostles.
14 Yet I am not surprised! Satan can change himself into an angel of light,

15 so it is no wonder his servants can do it too, and seem like godly ministers. In the end they will get every bit of punishment their wicked deeds deserve.
TLB

You apparently have a lot to learn about analogy and allegory. God often uses them as teaching tools in His Word. It's because they convey more information than just one simple statement. That because we are supposed to understand the difference between a virgin who remains chaste, waiting for her betrothed to come vs. running off with another in his place to play the harlot. That comparison is written in God's Word in the Old Testament, so I didn't just dream it up, which is what you seem to be trying to say.

And afterall, the main event for the end of this world is about not falling away to the coming Antichrist at the end of this world. And if you don't believe the Antichrist-pseudo-Christ is coming in our near future, then you don't have the same Bible most of us here have.

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
But you are starting off by directly contradicting Jesus' words here. He stated very clearly that they can be bought. :confused:

Well, NO, He did not say any such thing.

It was the five wise virgins who told the five foolish virgins to go 'buy'. And that has nothing to do with our prayers buying us gifts from Heaven. They told them to go to "them that sell" and buy, not Heaven...

Matt 25:9
9 But the wise answered, saying, Not so; lest there be not enough for us and you: but go ye rather to them that sell, and buy for yourselves.
KJV

I can see now where you are getting your insertion of the Antichrist from the surrounding text, only I think the subject matter has changed by the time He hits Matthew 24:45. The subject matter at that point becomes entirely focused upon the responsibilities that the disciples would bear in taking spiritual care of His household.

I'm not inserting anything. With the five foolish virgins being told to go to those that sell and buy more Oil, that is a precise Message. The Oil cannot be bought or sold like wares, and that is exactly how the foolish virgins saw it, otherwise they would not have gone to try and buy. If you cannot understand that simple matter then it's a wonder you understand anything in the parable at all.

And the Luke 12 passage I quoted directly... relates to ten virgins parable our Lord Jesus gave...

Luke 12:36-40
36 And ye yourselves like unto men that wait for their lord, when he will return from the wedding; that when he cometh and knocketh, they may open unto him immediately.

37 Blessed are those servants, whom the lord when he cometh shall find watching: verily I say unto you, that he shall gird himself, and make them to sit down to meat, and will come forth and serve them.
38 And if he shall come in the second watch, or come in the third watch, and find them so, blessed are those servants.
39 And this know, that if the goodman of the house had known what hour the thief would come, he would have watched, and not have suffered his house to be broken through.
40 Be ye therefore ready also: for the Son of man cometh at an hour when ye think not.
KJV

Matt 24:42-44
42 Watch therefore: for ye know not what hour your Lord doth come.
43 But know this, that if the goodman of the house had known in what watch the thief would come, he would have watched, and would not have suffered his house to be broken up.
44 Therefore be ye also ready: for in such an hour as ye think not the Son of man cometh.
KJV

Matt 25:1
13 Watch therefore, for ye know neither the day nor the hour wherein the Son of man cometh.
KJV

Did you not notice at the end of the ten virgins parable our Lord Jesus issued His command again for us to 'watch'? And that was almost a direct repeat of His command in Matthew 24:42 and Luke 12:37-40?

How could you miss that?

Last edited:

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Furthermore... the subject of the goodman of the house Jesus also gave in Luke 12 regarding those who wait for The Lord and He finds watching, is also a link to the subject of the thief who breaks in at night...

Luke 12:36-39

KJV

And that idea of the thief breaking in at night is linked to the signs Jesus gave in Matthew 24 and the day of His coming, which is also linked to this...

1 Thess 5:2-3
2 For yourselves know perfectly that the day of the Lord so cometh as a thief in the night.
3 For when they shall say, 'Peace and safety'; then sudden destruction cometh upon them, as travail upon a woman with child; and they shall not escape.
KJV

2 Peter 3:10
10 But the day of the Lord will come as a thief in the night; in the which the heavens shall pass away with a great noise, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat, the earth also and the works that are therein shall be burned up.
KJV

Rev 3:3
3 Remember therefore how thou hast received and heard, and hold fast, and repent. If therefore thou shalt not watch, I will come on thee as a thief, and thou shalt not know what hour I will come upon thee.
KJV

Rev 16:15-17
15 Behold, I come as a thief. Blessed is he that watcheth, and keepeth his garments, lest he walk naked, and they see his shame.
16 And He gathered them together into a place called in the Hebrew tongue Armageddon.
17 And the seventh angel poured out his vial into the air; and there came a great voice out of the temple of heaven, from the throne, saying, It is done.
KJV

So you don't think those other Scriptures are not directly related to what Jesus said in Matthew 25?? You just reveal you aren't really that studied in God's Holy Writ, but you should be IF you're gonna' accuse others of adding to Scripture.

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Hello

I have not commented on this thread yet and it seems to me that the parable of the Ten Virgins is being over spiritualised within the context of Matt 24-25.

Matt 24 present a broad brushstroke picture of what will happen during the three ages that will pass between the first and second advent.

It is my view that Matt 25 provides three images of events that will occur over the last age of the Ages.

What do we know about the last Age?
  • That power and influence of Satan will be greatly diminished at the very beginning of the Last Age for a period of 1,000 years.
  • That the kings of the earth will be judged on the face of the earth and that Satan and his heavenly angels will be judged in heaven and kicked out of heaven and together, the heavenly hosts and the Kings of the earth and their armies will be imprisoned in a pit to await the time of their punishment that will occur many days into the future.
  • That Jesus will be given dominion over the peoples of the earth that they should worship him.
  • That God will, at the beginning of the last age, establish his everlasting Kingdom on the face of the earth.
  • That Israel will be redeemed and the Bridegroom will come for His Bride at the very beginning of the last age.
  • That during the last age Satan will have his faithful servants working to continue his oppression of the Saints and the people of the earth to impede the spread of the everlasting Kingdom of God from being established.
  • That after the first 1,000 years of the last age has passed in relative peace, the pit will be unlocked for a short period of time before the end of the age, and the wicked fallen angels will rise up out of the earth along with kings of the earth and their armies to go against the Saints in a last ditch effort to establish Satan as a deity and king over the whole earth such that only he is worshipped.
  • That during the last little while period of the last age, that the Beast, the False Prophet and Satan will be captures by Christ and dispatched into the lake of fire, which Satan said in the Garden of Eden was not a reality so that he is removed from the face of the earth for all time after that.
  • That the time of separation of flock from flock will occur and those judged to not have worshipped Christ, will be separated out of the flock and also dispatched into the Lake of fire.
  • That hades and the second death will be dispatched into the lake of fire so that they are no more.
  • That after the first separation of the flock from the flock, the remaining flock will be separated once more so that the sheep and the goats are from each other and the sheep will receive their inheritance of the whole earth, i.e. the earth that God had intended to be since the beginning of time, and the goats will be dispatched into the lake of fire.
  • That after the last age, the earth will be renewed/refurbished like new and will then be given to the righteous saints as their inheritance.
  • And that God and Christ will come down to the earth and live among the Saints.

The above sets the context of Matt 25.
The first parable of the Ten Virgins, paints the picture of what will happen when Christ will come for his bride at the beginning of the last age.
  1. The first parable tells us that at the beginning of the last age that Christ will come for his bride and all "of" Israel will be redeemed
  2. The second parable speaks to how Satan will have influence over the peoples of the earth through his faithful servants.
  3. The third parable paints the picture that only the sheep of the separated flock of the first separation of the flock from the flock will enter in to receive the promised inheritance to Abraham, "God's earth."
What the deeper meaning of the parable of the Ten Virgins is what some, have attempted to discuss above.

Shalom

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Then you have yet to really understand the analogy of a 'chaste' virgin that Apostle Paul used in 2 Corinthians 11:2.

His main message there is his fear that brethren might fall away to worship another Jesus, one that he and the Apostles did not preach.

Ah... I get where you are coming from now. You don't have to agree with me (as you seem pretty committed to this interpretation of things), but "another Jesus" is not referring to the Antichrist here. There were Gnostics going about teaching another Jesus - not the Antichrist but a false Christ. So this passage is referring to something else actually. But I do see how you are putting things together now.
Well, NO, He did not say any such thing.

It was the five wise virgins who told the five foolish virgins to go 'buy'. And that has nothing to do with our prayers buying us gifts from Heaven. They told them to go to "them that sell" and buy, not Heaven...

Matt 25:9
9 But the wise answered, saying, Not so; lest there be not enough for us and you: but go ye rather to them that sell, and buy for yourselves.
KJV

Davy, pay close attention. What I said was that Jesus was telling this parable, and in the parable He had the wise virgins telling the foolish to go and buy from those that sell. Were the wise lying to them or telling them something they could in fact do, and should do?
Furthermore... the subject of the goodman of the house Jesus also gave in Luke 12 regarding those who wait for The Lord and He finds watching, is also a link to the subject of the thief who breaks in at night...

Luke 12:36-39

KJV

And that idea of the thief breaking in at night is linked to the signs Jesus gave in Matthew 24 and the day of His coming, which is also linked to this...

1 Thess 5:2-3
2 For yourselves know perfectly that the day of the Lord so cometh as a thief in the night.
3 For when they shall say, 'Peace and safety'; then sudden destruction cometh upon them, as travail upon a woman with child; and they shall not escape.
KJV

2 Peter 3:10
10 But the day of the Lord will come as a thief in the night; in the which the heavens shall pass away with a great noise, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat, the earth also and the works that are therein shall be burned up.
KJV

Rev 3:3
3 Remember therefore how thou hast received and heard, and hold fast, and repent. If therefore thou shalt not watch, I will come on thee as a thief, and thou shalt not know what hour I will come upon thee.
KJV

Rev 16:15-17
15 Behold, I come as a thief. Blessed is he that watcheth, and keepeth his garments, lest he walk naked, and they see his shame.
16 And He gathered them together into a place called in the Hebrew tongue Armageddon.
17 And the seventh angel poured out his vial into the air; and there came a great voice out of the temple of heaven, from the throne, saying, It is done.
KJV

Of course I am aware of all this. But as I told you, the subject matter changes at Matthew 24:45, and Christ's focus turns at this point to telling the disciples about the importance of caring for His household.

Anyway, looks like we're going in circles now, so I guess I'll move on.

God bless, and thanks for the discussion.

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
He had the wise virgins telling the foolish to go and buy from those that sell. Were the wise lying to them or telling them something they could in fact do, and should do?
It depends on whether the parable should or should not be interpreted in the light of ALL GOSPEL TRUTH. Buying from those who sell should be properly interpreted. No one can buy salvation and no one can buy the gift of the Holy Spirit. So that is where you should start. Simon the Sorcerer thought he could buy the gift of the Holy Ghost, but he was totally wrong.