Parable Of The Unmerciful Servant

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No matter how cute you try to be you are wrong in so many ways.

Good Heavens... I should have known better than to request a peaceful discussion on this topic. It's already going down the toilet, LoL.

s-l1000.jpg

Reactions: Episkopos

CoreIssue

Oct 15, 2018
USA
christiantalkzone.net
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
One can be disqualified from a race for a variety of reasons. Not finishing is one of these. Another is to strive unlawfully (as in cheap grace).

Trying to slip works for salvation in and degrees of salvation. Neither are true.

Most assuredly one can lose rewards.The Bible says that clearly. But nowhere does it say one salvation

Romans 8 and James 2 I believe.

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Quality of salvation?

Salvation is salvation. There are no degrees thereof.

There are degrees of rewards.

You were talking works for salvation.

If a person comes back from war with no arms and legs...and is blind, and deaf in one ear...is he not still saved?

Some people come back in worse condition than that.

So it is with salvation and the kingdom of God. Better to enter blind into the kingdom than not at all.

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Ok... but I'm about to pick your case up and hand it back to you, LoL.

Who are the tormentors, and how and when will the servant pay back what was owed?

Fun thread ( at the moment) hope it can stay that way.

I believe the torment " wailing and gnashing of teeth..and outer darkness....
Is within us, when ( we ,hoping NOT) we see where we could have been, now are in the kingdom compared to where God is... Any separation will be hell to us..
Even if we can hear His voice but not see His face or feel His Presence.

As to duration ...just like the verse ..one beaten with many stripes , one beaten with few ...Luke 12
47 "And that servant, which knew his lord's will, and prepared not himself, neither did according to his will, shall be beaten with many stripes. "

Until someone changes my heart and mind on this...this is where I stand. :)

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
yet Christ tells us to leave the world today!

Faith is now in the moment. Our salvation today is to enter into Christ NOW in the moment. Eternity is always NOW. But we need to keep doing this in order to bear an eternal kind of fruit. Otherwise all we have been working for will be lost.

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Depends on the subject. The more contentious the more disagreement.

But even disagreement can be done agreeably ...right?

( but I confess, I have 'lost it' a few times. :oops: )

CoreIssue

Oct 15, 2018
USA
christiantalkzone.net
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If a person comes back from war with no arms and legs...and is blind, and deaf in one ear...is he not still saved?

Some people come back in worse condition than that.

So it is with salvation and the kingdom of God. Better to enter blind into the kingdom than not at all.

As a vet from Nam I find your example distasteful.

There are no degrees of salvation.

And yes, as the Bible says, it is better to cut off a hand Then to keep yourself from the kingdom.

But you are talking about losing salvation.

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Fun thread ( at the moment) hope it can stay that way.

I believe the torment " wailing and gnashing of teeth..and outer darkness....
Is within us, when ( we ,hoping NOT) we see where we could have been, now are in the kingdom compared to where God is... Any separation will be hell to us..
Even if we can hear His voice but not see His face or feel His Presence.

As to duration ...just like the verse ..one beaten with many stripes , one beaten with few ...Luke 12
47 "And that servant, which knew his lord's will, and prepared not himself, neither did according to his will, shall be beaten with many stripes. "

Until someone changes my heart and mind on this...this is where I stand. :)

There are many outcomes to this life. One of them is as you have stated. David was punished as was Moses. There are real consequences to our every action.

But there are some who will be rejected. These appear to be as everyone else. That is...until all secrets have been revealed. Then there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.

The difficult thing is that a false follower won't know that until judgment day...due to a lack of humility. God gives grace to the humble. The proud indeed claim to have grace...but it's all in their head.

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Mercy is a fruit of the Spirit. Galatians 5:22-23 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, [23] Meekness, temperance: ... not the works of the flesh. Where there is no Spirit there is no fruit of mercy. Can one lose what there never was. Does Spirit fail? Can the gates of Hell prevail against Spirit? Can any thing overthrow the work of God?
Acts 5:38-39 And now I say unto you, Refrain from these men, and let them alone: for if this counsel or this work be of men, it will come to nought: [39] But if it be of God, ye cannot overthrow it; lest haply ye be found even to fight against God.

Flesh cannot show mercy only the Spirit (fruit manifest) is able to do what the flesh (works manifest) cannot do?

Hi Victory. I almost missed your post in the storm.

I would ask you the same thing I asked CoreIssue: The parable says that the servant was initially forgiven of his debt. What does this represent if not the forgiveness of his sins, which would make him a believer?

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I would ask you the same thing I asked CoreIssue: The parable says that the servant was initially forgiven of his debt. What does this represent if not the forgiveness of his sins, which would make him a believer?

It is a good question. Will have to consider it.

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada

I think there is a difference between being a "believer" and salvation. One can be a believer and still offend God.

God is under no compunction to do as we want.

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
As I said before this was Old Testament where one could loose their righteousness.

Alright then, let's take break that down. Here is the parable again:

21 Then came Peter to him, and said, Lord, how oft shall my brother sin against me, and I forgive him? till seven times? 22 Jesus saith unto him, I say not unto thee, Until seven times: but, Until seventy times seven. 23 Therefore is the kingdom of heaven likened unto a certain king, which would take account of his servants. 24 And when he had begun to reckon, one was brought unto him, which owed him ten thousand talents. 25 But forasmuch as he had not to pay, his lord commanded him to be sold, and his wife, and children, and all that he had, and payment to be made. 26 The servant therefore fell down, and worshipped him, saying, Lord, have patience with me, and I will pay thee all. 27 Then the lord of that servant was moved with compassion, and loosed him, and forgave him the debt. 28 But the same servant went out, and found one of his fellowservants, which owed him an hundred pence: and he laid hands on him, and took him by the throat, saying, Pay me that thou owest. 29 And his fellow servant fell down at his feet, and besought him, saying, Have patience with me, and I will pay thee all. 30 And he would not: but went and cast him into prison, till he should pay the debt. 31 So when his fellow servants saw what was done, they were very sorry, and came and told unto their lord all that was done. 32 Then his lord, after that he had called him, said unto him, O thou wicked servant, I forgave thee all that debt, because thou desiredst me: 33 Shouldest not thou also have had compassion on thy fellow servant, even as I had pity on thee? 34 And his lord was wroth, and delivered him to the tormentors, till he should pay all that was due unto him. 35 So likewise shall my heavenly Father do also unto you, if ye from your hearts forgive not every one his brother their trespasses. (Matthew 18:21-35)

For starters, I would argue here that the debt being paid was insurmountable. Ten thousand talents is what the Lord forgave the servant of, which in our money today would be millions upon millions of dollars if I'm not mistaken. Surely this represented our entire sin debt before God, which could only be paid for through Christ's spotless sacrifice, yes?

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
As I said before this was Old Testament where one could loose their righteousness.

Secondly, why would the Lord deliberately ask for the servant to pay his own debt if this were an Old Testament saint in view here? They were under law.

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I forgot to point one thing out. When the king forgave his debt it was a conditional forgiveness.

Yes. It was conditional. But are you automatically assuming that it can't be referring to salvation then? This would be based on an assumption. My point is that it was conditional, and if the servant did not return forgiveness to others in kind, then his grace would be rescinded.