Passover/Feast of Unleavened Bread

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

gadar perets

Jan 16, 2018
Raleigh, NC
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
Passover – Redemption / Protection

Exodus 12:3,6,7,12,13 – “Speak you unto all the congregation of Israel, saying, In the tenth day of this month they shall take to them every man a lamb, according to the house of their fathers, a lamb for an house: . . .And you shall keep it up until the fourteenth day of the same month: and the whole assembly of the congregation of Israel shall kill it in the evening. And they shall take of the blood, and strike it on the two side posts and on the upper door post of the houses, wherein they shall eat it . . . For I will pass through the land of Egypt this night, and will smite all the firstborn in the land of Egypt, both man and beast; and against all the gods of Egypt I will execute judgment: I am YHWH. And the blood shall be to you for a token upon the houses where you are: and when I see the blood, I will pass over you, and the plague shall not be upon you to destroy you, when I smite the land of Egypt.”​

It was through the shed blood of a lamb being applied to their doorposts that the Israelites received YHWH’s divine protection from the final plague to befall Egypt. It was through this same sacrifice that Israel was redeemed from Egyptian bondage.

The New Testament writings of Paul to the Corinthians teach us that Yeshua the Messiah is our true Passover lamb. 1 Corinthians 5:7 says;

“Purge out therefore the old leaven, that you may be a new lump, as you are unleavened. For even Messiah our Passover is sacrificed for us:”​

He has totally fulfilled the shadow of that original sacrifice, dying at the exact moment the Passover lambs were being sacrificed by the Jews. Now it is his blood that redeems us from our bondage to sin (a type of Egypt). It is also his blood upon the door posts of our hearts that provides us divine protection from YHWH’s wrath to come. We see this in 1 Thessalonians 1:10 and Romans 5:8,9;

“And to wait for his Son from heaven, whom he raised from the dead, even Yeshua, which delivered us from the wrath to come.”​

“But God commends His love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Messiah died for us. Much more then, being now justified by his blood, we shall be saved from wrath through him.”​

Feast of UnleavenedSanctification

Exodus 12:17 says, “And you shall observe the feast of unleavened; for in this selfsame day have I brought your armies out of the land of Egypt: therefore shall you observe this day in your generations by an ordinance for ever.”​

Israel’s deliverance from Egyptian bondage came on the first day of this Feast (Abib 15). It is a type of how believers are delivered from this world. Once a person accepts Yeshua as their Savior and receives divine redemption and protection through his shed blood, he must begin his journey to the promised land. He begins his exodus out of this worldly system (sanctification or being set apart) and starts to walk in the newness of life that comes only through a relationship with Yeshua, the Son of YHWH.

As a requirement for observing this Feast, Exodus 12:15 reads;

“Seven days shall you eat unleavened; even the first day you shall put away leaven out of your houses: for whosoever eats leaven from the first day until the seventh day, that soul shall be cut off from Israel.”​

Leaven represents sin, false doctrine, and hypocrisy. We are not only to rid our homes of leaven during this appointed time, but we are to rid our hearts of these things as we grow in grace and truth. It is part of our sanctification process or the process of coming out of this world. Since this is an ongoing process that will continue until Messiah returns, we cannot do away with the shadow of the Feast of Unleavened.

Continuing Paul's words in 1 Corinthians 5:8;

"Therefore let us keep the feast, not with old leaven, neither with the leaven of malice and wickedness; but with the unleavened bread of sincerity and truth."
What feast is Paul admonishing the Gentile converts in Corinth to keep? The Feast of Unleavened Bread which directly follows the Passover sacrifice.

May all who keep these days be blessed this Passover season.

Reactions: Truth and Deborah_

Philip James

May 4, 2018
Brandon
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Exodus 12:3,6,7,12,13 – “Speak you unto all the congregation of Israel, saying, In the tenth day of this month they shall take to them every man a lamb, according to the house of their fathers, a lamb for an house: . . .And you shall keep it up until the fourteenth day of the same month: and the whole assembly of the congregation of Israel shall kill it in the evening. And they shall take of the blood, and strike it on the two side posts and on the upper door post of the houses, wherein they shall eat it . . .

I think its cool that they were making the sign of the cross to protect themselves.

Peace!

Truth

May 31, 2017
AZ, Quartzsite
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Passover – Redemption / Protection

Exodus 12:3,6,7,12,13 – “Speak you unto all the congregation of Israel, saying, In the tenth day of this month they shall take to them every man a lamb, according to the house of their fathers, a lamb for an house: . . .And you shall keep it up until the fourteenth day of the same month: and the whole assembly of the congregation of Israel shall kill it in the evening. And they shall take of the blood, and strike it on the two side posts and on the upper door post of the houses, wherein they shall eat it . . . For I will pass through the land of Egypt this night, and will smite all the firstborn in the land of Egypt, both man and beast; and against all the gods of Egypt I will execute judgment: I am YHWH. And the blood shall be to you for a token upon the houses where you are: and when I see the blood, I will pass over you, and the plague shall not be upon you to destroy you, when I smite the land of Egypt.”​

It was through the shed blood of a lamb being applied to their doorposts that the Israelites received YHWH’s divine protection from the final plague to befall Egypt. It was through this same sacrifice that Israel was redeemed from Egyptian bondage.

The New Testament writings of Paul to the Corinthians teach us that Yeshua the Messiah is our true Passover lamb. 1 Corinthians 5:7 says;

“Purge out therefore the old leaven, that you may be a new lump, as you are unleavened. For even Messiah our Passover is sacrificed for us:”​

He has totally fulfilled the shadow of that original sacrifice, dying at the exact moment the Passover lambs were being sacrificed by the Jews. Now it is his blood that redeems us from our bondage to sin (a type of Egypt). It is also his blood upon the door posts of our hearts that provides us divine protection from YHWH’s wrath to come. We see this in 1 Thessalonians 1:10 and Romans 5:8,9;

“And to wait for his Son from heaven, whom he raised from the dead, even Yeshua, which delivered us from the wrath to come.”​

“But God commends His love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Messiah died for us. Much more then, being now justified by his blood, we shall be saved from wrath through him.”​

Feast of UnleavenedSanctification

Exodus 12:17 says, “And you shall observe the feast of unleavened; for in this selfsame day have I brought your armies out of the land of Egypt: therefore shall you observe this day in your generations by an ordinance for ever.”​

Israel’s deliverance from Egyptian bondage came on the first day of this Feast (Abib 15). It is a type of how believers are delivered from this world. Once a person accepts Yeshua as their Savior and receives divine redemption and protection through his shed blood, he must begin his journey to the promised land. He begins his exodus out of this worldly system (sanctification or being set apart) and starts to walk in the newness of life that comes only through a relationship with Yeshua, the Son of YHWH.

As a requirement for observing this Feast, Exodus 12:15 reads;

“Seven days shall you eat unleavened; even the first day you shall put away leaven out of your houses: for whosoever eats leaven from the first day until the seventh day, that soul shall be cut off from Israel.”​

Leaven represents sin, false doctrine, and hypocrisy. We are not only to rid our homes of leaven during this appointed time, but we are to rid our hearts of these things as we grow in grace and truth. It is part of our sanctification process or the process of coming out of this world. Since this is an ongoing process that will continue until Messiah returns, we cannot do away with the shadow of the Feast of Unleavened.

Continuing Paul's words in 1 Corinthians 5:8;

"Therefore let us keep the feast, not with old leaven, neither with the leaven of malice and wickedness; but with the unleavened bread of sincerity and truth."
What feast is Paul admonishing the Gentile converts in Corinth to keep? The Feast of Unleavened Bread which directly follows the Passover sacrifice.

May all who keep these days be blessed this Passover season.

This is how we provoke Jew's to Jealousy, when we keep the Appointed Time's.

Reactions: gadar perets

gadar perets

Jan 16, 2018
Raleigh, NC
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
Quick Quiz: Why wasn't the blood put on the threshold? Hint: Scripture does not give us the answer. I just have my own answer :)

Reactions: Truth

Truth

May 31, 2017
AZ, Quartzsite
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Quick Quiz: Why wasn't the blood put on the threshold? Hint: Scripture does not give us the answer. I just have my own answer :)

Well I had to do some thinking, and I was discussing your Question with My Wife and She said, Maybe we are not to walk on blood! And then I remembered that the Blood of a Sacrifice was not to be poured out on the earth to be tread under by the feet of man! I Think! I haven't look it up! But I will, Thank's.

Reactions: Philip James

gadar perets

Jan 16, 2018
Raleigh, NC
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
Well I had to do some thinking, and I was discussing your Question with My Wife and She said, Maybe we are not to walk on blood! And then I remembered that the Blood of a Sacrifice was not to be poured out on the earth to be tread under by the feet of man! I Think! I haven't look it up! But I will, Thank's.
Ding, ding, ding! We have a winner! My answer is that the Almighty does not want His people to tread upon the blood that saves them. The same goes for treading upon Yeshua and, by extension, his blood (Hebrews 10:29).

Reactions: Truth and Helen

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada

Because The Blood of Jesus which it represents, is 'over us' not under our feet.?? Close? :cool:

Reactions: Truth

epostle1

Sep 24, 2012
Essex
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
How do you get the sign of a cross out of that? It was more like a Hebrew chet or tav than a cross.

View attachment 2711
The blood on the doorpost is a foreshadow of the cross. Foreshadows in the OT are never exact duplicates of what is revealed in the NT, in the OT they are shadows of things to come. fore-shadow
Typology is the study of forshadow.

John 19:29; cf. Matt. 27:48; Mark 15:36; – Jesus is provided wine (the Fourth Cup) on a hyssop branch which was used to sprinkle the lambs’ blood in Exodus 12:22. This ties Jesus’ sacrifice to the Passover lambs which had to be consumed in the seder meal which was ceremonially completed by drinking the Cup of Consummation. Then in John 19:30, Jesus says, “It is consummated.” or "it is finished" The sacrifice began in the upper room and was completed on the cross. God’s love for humanity is made manifest.

1 Cor. 10:16 – Paul’s use of the phrase “the cup of blessing” refers to the Third Cup of the seder meal. This demonstrates that the seder meal is tied to Christ’s Eucharistic sacrifice.​
THE EUCHARIST - Scripture Catholic

gadar perets

Jan 16, 2018
Raleigh, NC
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
The blood on the doorpost is a foreshadow of the cross. Foreshadows in the OT are never exact duplicates of what is revealed in the NT, in the OT they are shadows of things to come. fore-shadow
Typology is the study of forshadow.

John 19:29; cf. Matt. 27:48; Mark 15:36; – Jesus is provided wine (the Fourth Cup) on a hyssop branch which was used to sprinkle the lambs’ blood in Exodus 12:22. This ties Jesus’ sacrifice to the Passover lambs which had to be consumed in the seder meal which was ceremonially completed by drinking the Cup of Consummation. Then in John 19:30, Jesus says, “It is consummated.” or "it is finished" The sacrifice began in the upper room and was completed on the cross. God’s love for humanity is made manifest.

1 Cor. 10:16 – Paul’s use of the phrase “the cup of blessing” refers to the Third Cup of the seder meal. This demonstrates that the seder meal is tied to Christ’s Eucharistic sacrifice.​
THE EUCHARIST - Scripture Catholic
I agree with most of what you wrote. That is Bible 101. I disagree that the blood on the doorpost is a foreshadow of the cross. It is a foreshadow of Messiah's shed blood applied to each believer protecting us from death. The pole the brazen serpent hung on was a foreshadow of the cross.

epostle1

Sep 24, 2012
Essex
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I agree with most of what you wrote. That is Bible 101. I disagree that the blood on the doorpost is a foreshadow of the cross. It is a foreshadow of Messiah's shed blood applied to each believer protecting us from death. The pole the brazen serpent hung on was a foreshadow of the cross.
"It is a foreshadow of Messiah's shed blood applied to each believer protecting us from death."
I agree that's a secondary meaning. The problem is that each believer is not beams made out of wood. (doorpost/cross)Your graphic in post #4 illustrates this nicely.

The pole the brazen serpent hung on was a foreshadow of the cross.
Excellent! Not many are aware of that. I would add that a pole with no brazen serpent is just a pole. Who do you think the brazen serpent is a metaphor/type/symbol of?

Last edited by a moderator:

gadar perets

Jan 16, 2018
Raleigh, NC
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
"It is a foreshadow of Messiah's shed blood applied to each believer protecting us from death."
I agree that's a secondary meaning. The problem is that each believer is not beams made out of wood. (doorpost/cross)
Neither are the doorposts in the shape of a cross. I would say the blood protecting believers is the primary meaning. What matters is that Yeshua's blood was shed unto death for us.

Excellent! Not many are aware of that. I would add that a pole with no brazen serpent is just a pole. Who do you think the brazen serpent is a metaphor/type/symbol of?
Yes, "just a pole", but with a brazen serpent on it representing Yeshua being lifted up on the cross, it takes on tremendous meaning, that is, looking unto Yeshua for the forgiven of sins.

epostle1

Sep 24, 2012
Essex
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Neither are the doorposts in the shape of a cross. I would say the blood protecting believers is the primary meaning. What matters is that Yeshua's blood was shed unto death for us.
Doorposts are not in the shape of a cross because they are not supposed to be. Hidden foreshadows in the OT are never exact duplicates of what is revealed in the NT. However, your primary meaning is valid regardless.

Yes, "just a pole", but with a brazen serpent on it representing Yeshua being lifted up on the cross, it takes on tremendous meaning, that is, looking unto Yeshua for the forgiven of sins.

Exactly. So why is there such an aversion to a crucifix?

gadar perets

Jan 16, 2018
Raleigh, NC
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
Exactly. So why is there such an aversion to a crucifix?
That depends on what you are really asking. Are you asking why there is an aversion to believing that the Son really died on a cross as opposed to an upright pole with no crossbar, or why is there an aversion to receiving the one who died on it as one's personal Master and Saviour, or ...?
If the latter I would say because, "men love darkness rather than light" (John 3:19).

epostle1

Sep 24, 2012
Essex
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
That depends on what you are really asking. Are you asking why there is an aversion to believing that the Son really died on a cross as opposed to an upright pole with no crossbar, or why is there an aversion to receiving the one who died on it as one's personal Master and Saviour, or ...?
If the latter I would say because, "men love darkness rather than light" (John 3:19).
This has nothing to do with my question. "The Son really died on a cross" is not an opposition to ""an upright pole with no crossbar, the brazen serpent in the book of Numbers." The latter is a foreshadow of the former. I'm sure you are biblically literate enough to understand foreshadow. A crucifix is preaching Christ crucified, a reminder of His great love for us. So again, why do some (good) Christians object to a crucifix?

The cross of Jesus Christ symbolizes the epitome of love and self sacrifice. Greater love has no man, than that he lay down his life for his friends (John 15:13). Jesus' death on the cross is the ultimate sacrifice of love that reconciles us to God. Crosses and crucifixes are powerful visual reminders of God’s love and serve as a witness of hope to the world. With crosses and crucifixes we are reminded to also bear our own crosses daily, and to help others bear their crosses, out of love for God. Catholic tradition places these sacred reminders in places of honor usually over a doorframe, above a bedpost, or in another prominent place. Wearing a blessed cross or crucifix around the neck is another wonderful reminder of Christ’s love.

The+Bronze+Serpent+Points+to+Christ%E2%80%99s+Rescue+From+Sin.jpg

gadar perets

Jan 16, 2018
Raleigh, NC
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
This has nothing to do with my question.
I was trying to understand your question.

"The Son really died on a cross" is not an opposition to ""an upright pole with no crossbar, the brazen serpent in the book of Numbers." The latter is a foreshadow of the former. I'm sure you are biblically literate enough to understand foreshadow. A crucifix is preaching Christ crucified, a reminder of His great love for us. So again, why do some (good) Christians object to a crucifix?

The cross of Jesus Christ symbolizes the epitome of love and self sacrifice. Greater love has no man, than that he lay down his life for his friends (John 15:13). Jesus' death on the cross is the ultimate sacrifice of love that reconciles us to God. Crosses and crucifixes are powerful visual reminders of God’s love and serve as a witness of hope to the world. With crosses and crucifixes we are reminded to also bear our own crosses daily, and to help others bear their crosses, out of love for God. Catholic tradition places these sacred reminders in places of honor usually over a doorframe, above a bedpost, or in another prominent place. Wearing a blessed cross or crucifix around the neck is another wonderful reminder of Christ’s love.
Some object on the grounds that the Greek word stauros means "an upright pole/post". They see that being different than a cross. JWs hold this view. Others believe we should not have such symbols because it may lead to the same idolatry that Israel fell into in 2 Kings 18:4.
They weren't worshiping the brazen serpent at first, but eventually started burning incense to it. How many Christians who use a crucifix overly venerate it to the point of idolatry? Others question why we would want to remember the very instrument used to put to death the Saviour of the world. If he was put to death by hanging by a rope, we would hang a hangman's noose around our neck? If he was killed by a bow and arrow, would we hang a bow and arrow around our neck? You would think that true worshipers would not be in need of such a reminder of his love for us.

I have no problem with this graphic except for calling the Son "Jesus".