Paul was a wolf in sheeps clothing

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Barrd

His Humble Servant
Jul 27, 2015
...following a Jewish carpenter...
This has got to be one of the silliest arguments people have. Did Jesus go around teaching people that it is okay to lie, or steal, or commit adultery, or break any of the commandments? Of course not.
When He was asked "which is the greatest commandment", did He say, "None of them. The commandments do not apply to you any more." Ridiculous.
In fact, Jesus reaffirmed every one of the Ten Commandments.

http://www.cogwriter.com/command.htm

Commandment 1 "You shall worship the LORD your God, and Him only you shall serve" (Mat 4:10). "You shall love the LORD your God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your mind. This is the first and the great commandment" (Mat 22:37). "And you shall love the LORD your God with all your heart, with all your soul, with all your mind, and with all your strength. This is the first commandment" (Mk 12:30). "You shall worship the LORD your God, and Him only you shall serve" (Luke 4:8).
Commandment 2 "You shall worship the LORD your God, and Him only you shall serve" (Mat 4:10). "You shall worship the LORD your God, and Him only you shall serve" (Luke 4:8). "God is spirit, and those who worship Him must worship in spirit and truth" (John 4:24). "But I have a few things against you, because you have there those who hold the doctrine of Balaam...to eat things sacrificed to idols" (Rev 2:14). "Nevertheless, I have a few things against you, because you allow...My servants to...eat things sacrificed to idols" (Rev 2:20).
Commandment 3 "Therefore I say to you, every sin and blasphemy will be forgiven men, but the blasphemy against the Spirit will not be forgiven men" (Mat 12:31). "For out of the heart proceed evil thoughts,...blasphemies. These are the things which defile a man" (Mat 15:19-20).
Commandment 4 "What man is there among you who has one sheep, and it falls into a pit on the Sabbath, will not lay hold of it and lift it out? Of how much more value then is a man than a sheep? Therefore, it is lawful to do good on the Sabbath" (Mat 12:11-12). "And pray that your flight may not be in winter or on the Sabbath" (Mat 24:20); there would be no reason to pray this if the Sabbath was not going to be in existence. "And He said to them, 'The Sabbath was made for man, and not man for the Sabbath. Therefore the Son of Man is also Lord of the Sabbath'" (Mk 2:27); this verse tells all who will see which day is the Lord's Day. "And when the Sabbath had come, He began to teach in the synagogue" (Mk 6:2). "And as His custom was, He went into the synagogue on the Sabbath day, and stood up to read" (Luke 4:16). "Then He went down to Capernaum, a city of Galilee, and was teaching them on the Sabbaths" (Luke 4:31). "The Son of Man is also Lord of the Sabbath...Is it lawful on the Sabbath to do good or to do evil, to save life or to destroy?" (Luke 6:5,9). "But the ruler of the synagogue answered with indignation, because Jesus had healed on the Sabbath...The Lord then answered him and said, 'Hypocrite...So ought not this woman...be loosed from this bond on the Sabbath?'" (Luke (13:14-16). "'Is it lawful to heal on the Sabbath?'...And they could not answer Him regarding these things" (Luke 14:3,6). "are you angry with Me because I made a man completely well on the Sabbath?" (John 7:23).
Commandment 5 "For God commanded saying, 'Honor your father and your mother' and 'He who curses father or mother, let him be put to death'" (Mat 15:4). "Honor your father and your mother" (Mat 19:19). "Honor your father and your mother" (Mk 7:10). "Honor your father and your mother" (Mk 10:19). "You know the commandments:...Honor your father and your mother" (Luke 18:20).
Commandment 6 "You have heard that it was said to those of old, 'You shall not murder', and whoever murders will be in danger of the judgment. But I say to you that whoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the judgment" (Mat 5:21-22). "For out of the heart proceed evil thoughts, murders...These are the things which defile a man" (Mat 15:19-20). "You shall not murder" (Mat 19:18). "...murders...All these evil things come from within and defile a man" (Mk 7:21,23). "Do not murder" (Mk 10:19). "You know the commandments:...Do not murder" (Luke 18:20).
Commandment 7 "You have heard that it was said to those of old, 'You shall not commit adultery'. But I say to you that whoever looks at a woman to lust for her has already committed adultery with her in his heart" (Mat 5:27-28). "But I say to you that whoever divorces his wife for any reason except sexual immorality causes her to commit adultery; and whoever marries a woman who is divorced commits adultery" (Mat 5:32). "For out of the heart proceed evil thoughts...adulteries, fornications...These are the things which defile a man" (Mat 15:19-20). "And I say to you, whoever divorces his wife, except for sexual immorality, and marries another, commits adultery, and whoever marries her who is divorced commits adultery" (Mat 19:9). "You shall not commit adultery" (Mat 19:18). "...adulteries, fornications...All these evil things come from within and defile a man" (Mk 7:21,23). "Whoever divorces his wife and marries another commits adultery against her. And if a woman divorces her husband and marries another, she commits adultery" (Mk 10:11-12). "Do not commit adultery" (Mk 10:19). "Whoever divorces his wife and marries another commits adultery; and whoever marries her who is divorced from her husband commits adultery" (Luke 16:18). "You know the commandments: Do not commit adultery" (Luke 18:20). "'Teacher, this woman was caught in adultery'...And Jesus said to her...'sin no more'" (John 8:4,11). "Indeed I will cast her into a sickbed, and those who commit adultery with her into great tribulation" (Rev 2:22).
Commandment 8 "For out of the heart proceed evil thoughts...thefts...These are the things which defile a man" (Mat 15:19-20). "You shall not steal" (Mat 19:18). "It is written, 'My house shall be called a house of prayer', but you have made it a den of thieves" (Mat 21:13). "...thefts...All these evil things come from within and defile a man" (Mk 7:22-23). "Do not steal" (Mk 10:19). "You know the commandments:... Do not steal" (Luke 18:20).
Commandment 9 "Again you have heard that it was said to those of old, 'You shall not swear falsely, but shall perform your oaths to the Lord. But I say to you, do not swear at all" (Mat 5:33-34). "For out of the heart proceed evil thoughts...false witness...These are the things which defile a man" (Mat 15:19-20). "You shall not bear false witness" (Mat 19:18). "Do not bear false witness" (Mk 10:19). "You know the commandments:...Do not bear false witness" (Luke 18:20). "And you have tested those who say they are apostles and are not, and have found them liars" (Rev 2:2).
Commandment 10 "Do not worry about your life, what you will eat or what you will drink, nor about your body, what you will put on" (Mat 6:25). "For out of the heart proceed evil thoughts...These are the things which defile a man" (Mat 15:19-20). "...covetousness...All these evil things come from within and defile a man" (Mk 7:22-23).
"I have kept My Father's commandments" (John 15:10).

I can't recall even one time when Jesus said that it would be okay to steal, or lie, or murder, or commit adultery...or break any of these commandments. Can you?

The idea that being under grace means that we may ignore the law would be completely foreign to Jesus, to His disciples, to the Apostles...and even to Paul. The law has not been "done away". All that has happened is that God has given us mercy to forgive our sins. But forgiveness is not the same thing as approval, and it certainly isn't permission to continue to sin.

Barrd

His Humble Servant
Jul 27, 2015
StanJ said:
Your conclusion is obviously wrong, so maybe you should look at it from a different perspective. Jesus did not waste his time, and did not teach His Apostles to obey the law.
Can you think of even one occasion when Jesus taught His Apostles to disregard even one of the Ten Commandments?

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Barrd, both you and heretoeternity missed what I said. I did not say anyone taught it was ok to break the law. Once again, jesus and paul taught forgiveness, truth, grace through faith and love. Can you find instances where the law and certain points of the law are mentioned? Absolutely! But it is not the focal point.

Barrd

His Humble Servant
Jul 27, 2015
FHII said:
Yea... umm, barrd. I still disagree. Jesus had a different curriculum. It was first and foremost about him. It was about truth, forgiveness and love. He forgave transgression of the law. In one private convesation he told the rich young man to obey the law, only for the purpose of making a bigger point.

No, Paul didn't teach others to obey tge law. He preached jesus, truth and grace through faith. Different curriculum than the teaching of t hth e law.

Did he preach abstain from certain meats? No. Did he preach keep the Sabbath? No. Did he preach circumision? No. He preached what James called the royal law, which was what Jesus preached.

Yea, he did preach the law of moses (which includes the 10 comnandments) is good. He also like Peter preached no one could keep it.

I say keep the law as much as you can. But unless you can keep it all, don't ever think you can hold it up ad evidence that you are righteous. Grace through faith us the only way.
There is none righteous, no not one.
And that is why we need grace.
But let's not get the foolish notion that grace is a license to sin, because it definitely is not.
Can a man keep the Ten Commandments?
Exo 20:1 And God spake all these words, saying,
Exo 20:2 I am the LORD thy God, which have brought thee out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of bondage.
Exo 20:3 Thou shalt have no other gods before me.
Exo 20:4 Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth:
Exo 20:5 Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them: for I the LORD thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate me;
Exo 20:6 And shewing mercy unto thousands of them that love me, and keep my commandments.
Exo 20:7 Thou shalt not take the name of the LORD thy God in vain; for the LORD will not hold him guiltless that taketh his name in vain.

I don't think most of us have a problem with these first three.

Exo 20:8 Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy.
Exo 20:9 Six days shalt thou labour, and do all thy work:
Exo 20:10 But the seventh day is the sabbath of the LORD thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates:
Exo 20:11 For in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the LORD blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it.

Mmm...no one seems to like this one, although I don't understand just why. It's a day of rest, fapeetsakes...
Exo 20:12 Honour thy father and thy mother: that thy days may be long upon the land which the LORD thy God giveth thee.

Dear old Mom and Dad...who will take care of them in their old age?

Exo 20:13 Thou shalt not kill.
Exo 20:14 Thou shalt not commit adultery.
Exo 20:15 Thou shalt not steal.
Exo 20:16 Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbour.

Well, these four, at least, ought to be obvious. None of these have been "done away"...
Exo 20:17 Thou shalt not covet thy neighbour's house, thou shalt not covet thy neighbour's wife, nor his manservant, nor his maidservant, nor his ox, nor his ass, nor any thing that is thy neighbour's.

Now, it would not surprise me to find that this is the one most people have trouble with. We all seem to want what we don't have.

Barrd

His Humble Servant
Jul 27, 2015
FHII said:
Barrd, both you and heretoeternity missed what I said. I did not say anyone taught it was ok to break the law. Once again, jesus and paul taught forgiveness, truth, grace through faith and love. Can you find instances where the law and certain points of the law are mentioned? Absolutely! But it is not the focal point.
Love is the focal point.
No one is arguing that.

But love does not equal lawlessness.

Joh 14:15 If ye love me, keep my commandments.

What I say is this.
I love Him. Therefore I will strive to keep His commandments.

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Barrd said:
Joh 14:15 If ye love me, keep my commandments.

What I say is this.
I love Him. Therefore I will strive to keep His commandments.

Yes, keep JESUS' commandments: the ones in Matthew, Mark, Luke and John. Not what was written in Exodus, Deuteronomy and Leviticus!

If you want to get tricky, sure... Jesus is God and God gave the law in the OT. Fine. Peter said be established in the present truth, not the old covenant.

So Jesus said Love the Lord with all thy heart, soul and mind; and love thy neighbor. He said, "come and learn of me." He said, "believe on him who he hath sent." He said follow me! He asked, will I come back will I find faith? He said, give in secret, pray in secret and fast in secret.

These are some of the commandments of Jesus. Yet why go back to the Law of Moses (which includes the 10 Commandments)?

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Barrd said:
There is none righteous, no not one.
And that is why we need grace.
But let's not get the foolish notion that grace is a license to sin, because it definitely is not.
Can a man keep the Ten Commandments?
No Barrd. No one can nor does. Not even the top 10. I don't want to explore anyone's life and make a list of sins. But remember if you are guilty of one sin, you are guilty of the whole law.

Now, lets take adultery. Who isn't guilty when Jesus said if you look on a woman to lust, you are guilty in your heart? Guilty of the whole law!

How about lying? Ever go to your closet and say, "I haven't a thing to wear!" Liar. "There's nothing to eat in the fridge!" Liar (when there's an apple, a salad and some bread!)

Stealing? Ever find a quarter on the sidewalk? Pick it up and put it in your pocket? Thief! You didn't earn it, it wasn't yours and you didn't even attempt to find the owner.

Nope.... None can keep the law.

Barrd

His Humble Servant
Jul 27, 2015
FHII said:
No Barrd. No one can nor does. Not even the top 10. I don't want to explore anyone's life and make a list of sins. But remember if you are guilty of one sin, you are guilty of the whole law.

Now, lets take adultery. Who isn't guilty when Jesus said if you look on a woman to lust, you are guilty in your heart? Guilty of the whole law!

How about lying? Ever go to your closet and say, "I haven't a thing to wear!" Liar. "There's nothing to eat in the fridge!" Liar (when there's an apple, a salad and some bread!)

Stealing? Ever find a quarter on the sidewalk? Pick it up and put it in your pocket? Thief! You didn't earn it, it wasn't yours and you didn't even attempt to find the owner.

Nope.... None can keep the law.
I always thought that looking on a woman to lust sort of belonged under the "thou shalt not covet" commandment...which is sort of all-inclusive.
But I digress...

The point, of course, is that sin begins in the heart...and the heart of man is desperately wicked.
As Paul put it, the law is spiritual, but we are carnal.
Yet, I'm going to go out on a limb here, and say that the Ten Commandments cannot be done away. They are the bedrock on which society as a whole are built. Without them, we are nothing more than animals.
I'm not talking about the Law of Moses. I'm talking about the Laws that were written by the finger of God, Himself, on tablets of stone. Stone, you realize of course, is permanent. Those tablets of stone were placed in the Ark of the Covenant, along with the pot of manna and Aaron's rod that budded. The rest of what we call "The Law of Moses" was placed alongside the Ark, as a witness against the people.
Deu 31:24 And it came to pass, when Moses had made an end of writing the words of this law in a book, until they were finished,
Deu 31:25 That Moses commanded the Levites, which bare the ark of the covenant of the LORD, saying,
Deu 31:26 Take this book of the law, and put it in the side of the ark of the covenant of the LORD your God, that it may be there for a witness against thee.

Of course, no one can keep the Ten Commandments perfectly. If we could, we would not have needed a Savior.

Do you think that the Commandments given by Jesus in the four Gospels are any different?
Let me ask you a question, then.
Do you think that you can love your enemy, never so much as thinking a "bad thought" about someone you might be having a problem with? Think about it now!
Can you truly love other people with the same kind of self-sacrificing love that Jesus modeled for us?

I won't ask you to answer that publicly. But I think the point has been made....

StanJ

Lifelong student of God's Word.
May 13, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
The Barrd said:
Can you think of even one occasion when Jesus taught His Apostles to disregard even one of the Ten Commandments?
Do you think they are the sole thing Jesus taught when He said keep MY commandments? You've structured your post to make it look like His commandment are the 10 commandments, when in fact that is NOT what He was referring to.
Maybe you should carefully read Matthew 12 or 15? This is just two examples of Jesus putting things in PROPER context.

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Barrd said:
I always thought that looking on a woman to lust sort of belonged under the "thou shalt not covet" commandment...which is sort of all-inclusive.
But I digress...

The point, of course, is that sin begins in the heart...and the heart of man is desperately wicked.
As Paul put it, the law is spiritual, but we are carnal.
Yet, I'm going to go out on a limb here, and say that the Ten Commandments cannot be done away. They are the bedrock on which society as a whole are built. Without them, we are nothing more than animals.
I'm not talking about the Law of Moses. I'm talking about the Laws that were written by the finger of God, Himself, on tablets of stone. Stone, you realize of course, is permanent. Those tablets of stone were placed in the Ark of the Covenant, along with the pot of manna and Aaron's rod that budded. The rest of what we call "The Law of Moses" was placed alongside the Ark, as a witness against the people.
Deu 31:24 And it came to pass, when Moses had made an end of writing the words of this law in a book, until they were finished,
Deu 31:25 That Moses commanded the Levites, which bare the ark of the covenant of the LORD, saying,
Deu 31:26 Take this book of the law, and put it in the side of the ark of the covenant of the LORD your God, that it may be there for a witness against thee.

Of course, no one can keep the Ten Commandments perfectly. If we could, we would not have needed a Savior.

Do you think that the Commandments given by Jesus in the four Gospels are any different?
Let me ask you a question, then.
Do you think that you can love your enemy, never so much as thinking a "bad thought" about someone you might be having a problem with? Think about it now!
Can you truly love other people with the same kind of self-sacrificing love that Jesus modeled for us?

I won't ask you to answer that publicly. But I think the point has been made....
If you look at Mat 5:28, you will see why looking at a woman to lust is adultery. Its actually an important point in that it shows God looks at the intent of the heart and not only the physical actions.

To say the 10 comnantments are the bedrock of society is ok. However, we are not of this world. We live in it, but now we are getting into living in this society vs salvation.

If salvation could be gained by the lawIit would have to mean keeping all the law. Not just the 10 commandments.

I absolutely do believe that the comnandments given by Jesus are different. As I said, it was a different curriculum altogether. It was also a NEW covenant.

I also have no problem answering your question. I'll ask you one: how did Jesus love his enemies? He called them vipers, children of the devil, said don't give that which is holy to dogs... he utterly mocked them at times.

The difference is Jesus was ready to accept them if they accepted him. Not without compromise though. Careful students of the bible will remember a couple of Pharisees who Jesus actually related well to (not talking about Paul in this case).

This is why the apostles were important. Jesus kaid the foundation and the apostles built on it by explaining how to apply Jesus's teachings. For example, paul saying pray for kings and obey magistrates so we can live in peace.

Matt 6. The prayer given to the disciples say to forgive trespasses. If we don't he won't forgive us. Qbosuletly. Its about living in peace and letting God sort out wrongdoings.

Barrd

His Humble Servant
Jul 27, 2015
FHII said:
If you look at Mat 5:28, you will see why looking at a woman to lust is adultery. Its actually an important point in that it shows God looks at the intent of the heart and not only the physical actions.
Yes, I think I said that, FHII.
Sin begins in the heart, of course.
The problem is that the heart of man is desperately wicked.

To say the 10 comnantments are the bedrock of society is ok. However, we are not of this world. We live in it, but now we are getting into living in this society vs salvation.
Aye, and as long as we live in this world, we need to observe the rules.
We live in this world, but we still need to worship our God in the way He has shown us.
And we need to get along with all the other people who live in this world.
The Ten Commandments are vital.

If salvation could be gained by the lawIit would have to mean keeping all the law. Not just the 10 commandments.
First of all, by this time I think we are all only too aware that we are not capable of keeping the law. If we were, we would be without sin. If we could be without sin, we would not need a Savior.

I absolutely do believe that the comnandments given by Jesus are different. As I said, it was a different curriculum altogether. It was also a NEW covenant.
First of all, when God first announced the coming of the New Covenant through the mouth of His prophet, Jeremiah, He was careful to tell us that His law would be a part of that covenant:

Jer 31:33 But this shall be the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel; After those days, saith the LORD, I will put my law in their inward parts, and write it in their hearts; and will be their God, and they shall be my people.

And just in case anyone got the idea that God might have changed His mind after the cross, He repeats Himself through the mouth of the writer of Hebrews:

Heb 8:10 For this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, saith the Lord; I will put my laws into their mind, and write them in their hearts: and I will be to them a God, and they shall be to me a people:

As for whether or not Jesus had a "new curriculum", let me refer you back to this website:

http://www.cogwriter.com/command.htm

There you will find what I am too lazy to look up and type out for you myself...if you bother to read, you will see where Jesus re-affirmed every single one of the Ten Commandments.

I also have no problem answering your question. I'll ask you one: how did Jesus love his enemies? He called them vipers, children of the devil, said don't give that which is holy to dogs... he utterly mocked them at times.
First of all, have you not read in the Sermon on the Mount:

Mat 5:44 But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you;
Mat 5:46 For if ye love them which love you, what reward have ye? do not even the publicans the same?

How did Jesus love His enemies, you ask me?
Why, FHII...while we were yet sinners, at enmity with God...He died for us.

The difference is Jesus was ready to accept them if they accepted him. Not without compromise though. Careful students of the bible will remember a couple of Pharisees who Jesus actually related well to (not talking about Paul in this case).
I think somebody missed the point.
What you say about Jesus being ready to accept them if they accepted Him...that goes for all of us, FHII.
Yes, Jesus offers to the world the precious gift of salvation. He offers the gift of eternal life.
Now it is up to us to accept His gift.

This is why the apostles were important. Jesus kaid the foundation and the apostles built on it by explaining how to apply Jesus's teachings. For example, paul saying pray for kings and obey magistrates so we can live in peace.
:rolleyes: We have spent 2000 years complicating what Christ died to make simple.
The Apostles followed Jesus for three and a half years. During that time, He not only kept the Ten Commandments, He taught His apostles also to keep them.
And when He deputized Paul, Paul also taught that the law is holy and just and good, and that he, himself, strove to keep it.

Matt 6. The prayer given to the disciples say to forgive trespasses. If we don't he won't forgive us. Qbosuletly. Its about living in peace and letting God sort out wrongdoings.
And that's the beauty of Christianity.
If we follow our Shepherd, He will give us peace.
Not as the world gives...but better.
He will give us peace that passes all understanding... <_<

michaelvpardo

Feb 26, 2011
East Stroudsburg, PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
8. But we know that the law is good if one uses it lawfully, 9. knowing this: that the law is not made for a righteous person, but for the lawless and insubordinate, for the ungodly and for sinners, for the unholy and profane, for murderers of fathers and murderers of mothers, for manslayers, 10. for fornicators, for sodomites, for kidnappers, for liars, for perjurers, and if there is any other thing that is contrary to sound doctrine, 11. according to the glorious gospel of the blessed God which was committed to my trust. 1 Timothy 1:8-11
I think that the law applies to Christians when they find themselves in these categories, but grace gives room for conviction and repentance where the law never did. It could be argued that such people aren't Christians in the first place, but I've yet to meet a Christian who doesn't sin.

Barrd

His Humble Servant
Jul 27, 2015
Michael V Pardo said:
8. But we know that the law is good if one uses it lawfully, 9. knowing this: that the law is not made for a righteous person, but for the lawless and insubordinate, for the ungodly and for sinners, for the unholy and profane, for murderers of fathers and murderers of mothers, for manslayers, 10. for fornicators, for sodomites, for kidnappers, for liars, for perjurers, and if there is any other thing that is contrary to sound doctrine, 11. according to the glorious gospel of the blessed God which was committed to my trust. 1 Timothy 1:8-11
I think that the law applies to Christians when they find themselves in these categories, but grace gives room for conviction and repentance where the law never did. It could be argued that such people aren't Christians in the first place, but I've yet to meet a Christian who doesn't sin.
My Bible says that we have all sinned and fallen short of the glory of God.

Rom 3:23 For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God;

My Bible says that the heart is deceitful and wicked:

Jer 17:9 The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked: who can know it?

Doesn't your Bible say these things?

michaelvpardo

Feb 26, 2011
East Stroudsburg, PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Barrd said:
My Bible says that we have all sinned and fallen short of the glory of God.

Rom 3:23 For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God;

My Bible says that the heart is deceitful and wicked:

Jer 17:9 The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked: who can know it?

Doesn't your Bible say these things?
All of my bibles do, so what's your point?

heretoeternity

Oct 11, 2014
Asia/Pacific
Paul said in Romans "do we make void the law through faith? God forbid. We establish the law'
When we ask God, through Jesus to forgive our sins, we are a lot like the woman caught in adultery John 8...Jesus said "your sins are forgiven, go and sin NO more.....
What is sin then? Read 1st John...Apostle John says sin is "transgression of the law"...
So Jesus says in effect, do not transgress the law....that sure sounds clear enough....

Barrd

His Humble Servant
Jul 27, 2015
Michael V Pardo said:
All of my bibles do, so what's your point?
Do your Bibles also contain these verses, where Jesus taught people to keep the Ten Commandments?

Commandment 1

Mat 4:10 Then saith Jesus unto him, Get thee hence, Satan: for it is written, Thou shalt worship the Lord thy God, and him only shalt thou serve.

Mat 22:37 Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.
Mat 22:38 This is the first and great commandment.

Luk 4:8 And Jesus answered and said unto him, Get thee behind me, Satan: for it is written, Thou shalt worship the Lord thy God, and him only shalt thou serve.

Commandment 2

Mat 4:10 Then saith Jesus unto him, Get thee hence, Satan: for it is written, Thou shalt worship the Lord thy God, and him only shalt thou serve.

Luk 4:8 And Jesus answered and said unto him, Get thee behind me, Satan: for it is written, Thou shalt worship the Lord thy God, and him only shalt thou serve.

Joh 4:24 God is a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth.

Rev 2:14 But I have a few things against thee, because thou hast there them that hold the doctrine of Balaam, who taught Balac to cast a stumblingblock before the children of Israel, to eat things sacrificed unto idols, and to commit fornication.

Rev 2:20 Notwithstanding I have a few things against thee, because thou sufferest….my servants to commit fornication, and to eat things sacrificed unto idols.

Commandment 3

Mat 12:31 Wherefore I say unto you, All manner of sin and blasphemy shall be forgiven unto men: but the blasphemy against the Holy Ghost shall not be forgiven unto men.

Mat 15:19 For out of the heart proceed….blasphemies:
Mat 15:20 These are the things which defile a man

Commandment 4

Mat 12:11 And he said unto them, What man shall there be among you, that shall have one sheep, and if it fall into a pit on the sabbath day, will he not lay hold on it, and lift it out?
Mat 12:12 How much then is a man better than a sheep? Wherefore it is lawful to do well on the sabbath days.

Mat 24:20 But pray ye that your flight be not in the winter, neither on the sabbath day:

Mar 2:27 And he said unto them, The sabbath was made for man, and not man for the sabbath:
Mar 2:28 Therefore the Son of man is Lord also of the sabbath.

Mar 6:2 And when the sabbath day was come, he began to teach in the synagogue:

Luk 4:16 And he came to Nazareth, where he had been brought up: and, as his custom was, he went into the synagogue on the sabbath day, and stood up for to read.

Luk 6:5 And he said unto them, That the Son of man is Lord also of the sabbath.

Luk 6:9 Then said Jesus unto them, I will ask you one thing; Is it lawful on the sabbath days to do good, or to do evil? to save life, or to destroy it?

Luk 13:14 And the ruler of the synagogue answered with indignation, because that Jesus had healed on the sabbath day, and said unto the people, There are six days in which men ought to work: in them therefore come and be healed, and not on the sabbath day.
Luk 13:15 The Lord then answered him, and said, Thou hypocrite, doth not each one of you on the sabbath loose his ox or his ass from the stall, and lead him away to watering?
Luk 13:16 And ought not this woman, being a daughter of Abraham, whom Satan hath bound, lo, these eighteen years, be loosed from this bond on the sabbath day?
Luk 13:17 And when he had said these things, all his adversaries were ashamed

Luk 14:3 And Jesus answering spake unto the lawyers and Pharisees, saying, Is it lawful to heal on the sabbath day?

Luk 14:6 And they could not answer him again to these things.

Joh 7:23 If a man on the sabbath day receive circumcision, that the law of Moses should not be broken; are ye angry at me, because I have made a man every whit whole on the sabbath day?

Commandment 5

Mar 10:19 Thou knowest the commandments….Honour thy father and mother.

Mat 15:4 For God commanded, saying, Honour thy father and mother: and, He that curseth father or mother, let him die the death.

Mat 19:19 Honour thy father and thy mother

Luk 18:20 Thou knowest the commandments….Honour thy father and thy mother.

Commandment 6

Mat 5:21 Ye have heard that it was said by them of old time, Thou shalt not kill; and whosoever shall kill shall be in danger of the judgment:
Mat 5:22 But I say unto you, That whosoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the judgment

Mat 15:19 For out of the heart proceed evil thoughts, murders….

Mar 10:19 Thou knowest the commandments…Do not kill

Luk 18:20 Thou knowest the commandments...Do not kill

Commandment 7

Mat 5:27 Ye have heard that it was said by them of old time, Thou shalt not commit adultery:
Mat 5:28 But I say unto you, That whosoever looketh on a woman to lust after her hath committed adultery with her already in his heart.

Mat 5:32 But I say unto you, That whosoever shall put away his wife, saving for the cause of fornication, causeth her to commit adultery: and whosoever shall marry her that is divorced committeth adultery.

Mat 15:19 For out of the heart proceed….adulteries
Mat 15:20 These are the things which defile a man.

Mat 19:9 And I say unto you, Whosoever shall put away his wife, except it be for fornication, and shall marry another, committeth adultery: and whoso marrieth her which is put away doth commit adultery.

Mat 15:19 For out of the heart proceed….adulteries, fornications...

Mat 19:18 He saith unto him, Which? Jesus said….Thou shalt not commit adultery….

Mar 7:21 For from within, out of the heart of men, proceed…adulteries, fornications….

Mar 10:11 And he saith unto them, Whosoever shall put away his wife, and marry another, committeth adultery against her.
Mar 10:12 And if a woman shall put away her husband, and be married to another, she committeth adultery.

Mar 10:19 Thou knowest the commandments, Do not commit adultery…

Luk 16:18 Whosoever putteth away his wife, and marrieth another, committeth adultery: and whosoever marrieth her that is put away from her husband committeth adultery.

Luk 18:20 Thou knowest the commandments, Do not commit adultery…

Joh 8:4 They say unto him, Master, this woman was taken in adultery, in the very act.
….
Joh 8:11 ….And Jesus said unto her….go, and sin no more.

Rev 2:22 Behold, I will cast her into a bed, and them that commit adultery with her into great tribulation, except they repent of their deeds.

Commandment 8

Mat 15:19 For out of the heart proceed….thefts….

Mat 19:18 He saith unto him, Which? Jesus said….Thou shalt not steal….

Mat 21:13 And said unto them, It is written, My house shall be called the house of prayer; but ye have made it a den of thieves.

Mar 7:22 Thefts….
Mar 7:23 All these evil things come from within, and defile the man.

Mar 10:19 Thou knowest the commandments….Do not steal, Defraud not….

Luk 18:20 Thou knowest the commandments….Do not steal….

Commandment 9

Mat 5:33 Again, ye have heard that it hath been said by them of old time, Thou shalt not forswear thyself, but shalt perform unto the Lord thine oaths:
Mat 5:34 But I say unto you, Swear not at all; neither by heaven; for it is God's throne:

Mat 15:19 For out of the heart proceed....thefts, false witness...

Mar 10:19 Thou knowest the commandments….Do not bear false witness, Defraud not….

Rev 2:2 I know thy works, and thy labour….and thou hast tried them which say they are apostles, and are not, and hast found them liars:

Commandment 10

Mat 6:25 Therefore I say unto you, Take no thought for your life, what ye shall eat, or what ye shall drink; nor yet for your body, what ye shall put on.

Mat 15:19 For out of the heart proceed evil thoughts….
Mat 15:20 These are the things which defile a man:

Mar 7:22 ….covetousness….
Mar 7:23 All these evil things come from within, and defile the man.

I think we can safely say that Jesus certainly did not abolish the Ten Commandments.

StanJ

May 13, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
The Barrd said:
I think we can safely say that Jesus certainly did not abolish the Ten Commandments.
That's right, He came to fulfill them, which He DID at the cross. The OLD covenant with it's WRITTEN Law as made obsolete by the NEW covenant and disappeared when the Temple was destroyed in 70AD. Now, ALL God's laws are written on our hearts.

Barrd

His Humble Servant
Jul 27, 2015
StanJ said:
That's right, He came to fulfill them, which He DID at the cross. The OLD covenant with it's WRITTEN Law as made obsolete by the NEW covenant and disappeared when the Temple was destroyed in 70AD. Now, ALL God's laws are written on our hearts.
I would have said that He fulfilled them by keeping them all of His life, and by teaching others who would follow Him to do the same.
What He fulfilled at the cross was our salvation.

The New Covenant also has WRITTEN Law, Stan....the difference is the media used.

Jer 31:31 Behold, the days come, saith the LORD, that I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel, and with the house of Judah:
Jer 31:32 Not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day that I took them by the hand to bring them out of the land of Egypt; which my covenant they brake, although I was an husband unto them, saith the LORD:
Jer 31:33 But this shall be the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel; After those days, saith the LORD, I will put my law in their inward parts, and write it in their hearts; and will be their God, and they shall be my people.
Jer 31:34 And they shall teach no more every man his neighbour, and every man his brother, saying, Know the LORD: for they shall all know me, from the least of them unto the greatest of them, saith the LORD: for I will forgive their iniquity, and I will remember their sin no more.

Let's take an in-depth look at that prophecy. I've heard an awful lot of people saying that the Ten Commandments were only for Israel. Now, it seems to me that those commandments are the bedrock of society, but it is true, those commandments were given to Israel.

But then, so is the New Covenant:
I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel, and with the house of Judah...

A New Covenant was necessary, because Israel broke the first Covenant:
which my covenant they brake, although I was an husband unto them, saith the LORD

This Covenant is also to be with the House of Israel:
But this shall be the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel

So, there will be no WRITTEN Law in the New Covenant? That's not what God says:
I will put my law in their inward parts, and write it in their hearts...
(As I said, different media.)

A couple of very significant changes I see:
And they shall teach no more every man his neighbour, and every man his brother, saying, Know the LORD: for they shall all know me, from the least of them unto the greatest of them
We don't need a priesthood any longer, to teach us about God...He has revealed Himself to even the least of us.

The most important change:
I will forgive their iniquity, and I will remember their sin no more.
Grace....

EDIT:
Hebrews has Jeremiah's prophecy, nearly word for word. Hebrews 8, I believe, somewhere around vs 7...

Barrd

His Humble Servant
Jul 27, 2015
You think that Jesus did away with the Ten Commandments? You think that He fulfilled them for you, so you need no longer worry yourself about keeping them? Yes, it is true that Jesus led a sinless life. But do you think that means that He wants us to continue in sin?
Tell me, if you can...if Jesus was "doing away" with the ten commandments, why would He have spent so much time teaching people to keep them?
He not only kept the commandments, He taught His apostles also to keep them.
And when He left, He gave them a specific command to teach all the nations all that He had taught them...which would include keeping the Commandments.
Mat 28:18 And Jesus came and spake unto them, saying, All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth.
Mat 28:19 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:
Mat 28:20 Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world. Amen.

Now why would He do all of that...and then go and deputize Paul, and send Him with a totally different message?
The answer, of course, is that He did no such thing.
Paul never taught that the law had been abolished...

StanJ

May 13, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
The Barrd said:
I would have said that He fulfilled them by keeping them all of His life, and by teaching others who would follow Him to do the same.
What He fulfilled at the cross was our salvation.

The New Covenant also has WRITTEN Law, Stan....the difference is the media used.

Jer 31:31 Behold, the days come, saith the LORD, that I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel, and with the house of Judah:
Jer 31:32 Not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day that I took them by the hand to bring them out of the land of Egypt; which my covenant they brake, although I was an husband unto them, saith the LORD:
Jer 31:34 And they shall teach no more every man his neighbour, and every man his brother, saying, Know the LORD: for they shall all know me, from the least of them unto the greatest of them, saith the LORD: for I will forgive their iniquity, and I will remember their sin no more.

Let's take an in-depth look at that prophecy. I've heard an awful lot of people saying that the Ten Commandments were only for Israel. Now, it seems to me that those commandments are the bedrock of society, but it is true, those commandments were given to Israel.

But then, so is the New Covenant:
I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel, and with the house of Judah...

A New Covenant was necessary, because Israel broke the first Covenant:
which my covenant they brake, although I was an husband unto them, saith the LORD

This Covenant is also to be with the House of Israel:
But this shall be the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel

So, there will be no WRITTEN Law in the New Covenant? That's not what God says:
I will put my law in their inward parts, and write it in their hearts...
(As I said, different media.)

A couple of very significant changes I see:
And they shall teach no more every man his neighbour, and every man his brother, saying, Know the LORD: for they shall all know me, from the least of them unto the greatest of them
We don't need a priesthood any longer, to teach us about God...He has revealed Himself to even the least of us.

The most important change:
I will forgive their iniquity, and I will remember their sin no more.
Grace....

EDIT:
Hebrews has Jeremiah's prophecy, nearly word for word. Hebrews 8, I believe, somewhere around vs 7...
You're just deflecting and equivocating more Barrd. I'm pretty sure you see the difference, and if not then I can't possibly say anything to make you see it. Regardless the NC laws are NOT the OC ones.