Paul was a wolf in sheeps clothing

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

heretoeternity

Oct 11, 2014
Asia/Pacific
Who is Stan J to teach anyone? Of all the people on any Christian boards he is the most childish, arrogant, pompous one yet..so he is good at this calling...however..as self appointed, "expert" on the Bible and Christian matters he not only fails on the technical aspects of the Bible, but also on the practical application, as evidenced by his rude, arrogant attitude...time to pray about it Stan, and realize you are one of many, and not some glorified expert...1st Corinthians 1.29...
Stan J should just stick the the Bible, quotes,and references and get rid of his attitude of attacking personalities when he cannot come up with a credible Bible response to the issues. He professes to be a "lifelong student of God's word"..well so is satan..he knows the Bible very well also stan, and like you, can twist and distort it to his malicious purposes to meet his diabolical agenda of deceiving the entire human race, even Stan j..

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Heretoeternity,

Yea, Stan does that. Problem is you just sunk to his level and below it. Hate to say it, but you ought to look at mat 7:5.

Barrd

His Humble Servant
Jul 27, 2015
...following a Jewish carpenter...
:rolleyes: Okay, kids. Let's all (yes, including this old hack writer from Alabama) remember what it is that goeth before destruction...

I believe it is a haughty spirit that goes before a fall.

Let's work on being humble...but don't be too proud of your humility, either...that's a trap!

Barrd

His Humble Servant
Jul 27, 2015
FHII said:
There are things I simply don't think we are going to agree on, Barrd.

1. Jesus did not focus in the 10 commandments or any other part of the law of moses. He mentioned them, but it wasn't his focus point.

2. Jesus, Paul, Peter nor John taught that the new covenent was rehashing the old one.

3. When God said,"this is the covenant I will make with them, I will put my laws in their hearts and ib their mind will I write them." He was speaking of the law of grace. You looked in Jeremiah and hebrews 8. Was there something in hebrews 10 you didn't like?

Its either grace or the law., Barrd. Not both.
Hebrews 10? Do you think I missed something important there?

Let's see...
Heb 10:9 Then said he, Lo, I come to do thy will, O God. He taketh away the first, that he may establish the second.
Heb 10:10 By the which will we are sanctified through the offering of the body of Jesus Christ once for all.
Heb 10:11 And every priest standeth daily ministering and offering oftentimes the same sacrifices, which can never take away sins:

Okay...He takes away the first Covenant, and establishes the second. Check.
We are sanctified through the offering of the body of Christ. Check.
Sacrifices can never take away sins. Check.

What are sins? Could someone please tell me?

Heb 10:16 This is the covenant that I will make with them after those days, saith the Lord, I will put my laws into their hearts, and in their minds will I write them;
Heb 10:17 And their sins and iniquities will I remember no more.
Heb 10:18 Now where remission of these is, there is no more offering for sin.

God promises to put His law in our hearts and minds. Got it.
Will not remember our sins and iniquities. Check.
Because He has made this promise, we have remission of those sins, and we no longer need to make any offering for our sins, because Jesus is our sin offering. Check.

Heb 10:26 For if we sin wilfully after that we have received the knowledge of the truth, there remaineth no more sacrifice for sins,
Heb 10:27 But a certain fearful looking for of judgment and fiery indignation, which shall devour the adversaries.

Ouch. If we sin willfully, we're in the deep stuff. That doesn't sound good...since we know we all sin!

Heb 10:31 It is a fearful thing to fall into the hands of the living God.

I can't argue with that! :eek:

It looks a whole lot as if avoiding this thing called "sin" would be an incredibly good idea!
But what is sin?

Well, according to John, the Beloved Disciple:

1Jn 3:4 Whosoever committeth sin transgresseth also the law: for sin is the transgression of the law.

Now, these things were written after the resurrection. Sin, after the resurrection, is the transgression of the law. So, evidently, there exists, after the resurrection, a law that we are not to transgress.

If we are not to transgress this law, and since the consequences for willfully doing so are so grim, it would be a very good idea, methinks, to be quite sure just what this law is...

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You have a real nasty habit of skipping verses, Barrd.

Barrd

His Humble Servant
Jul 27, 2015
Since the only law I know of in the Bible that God (Jesus Christ) actually wrote Himself, with His Own hand, are the Ten Commandments, that has to be the first place I look. Perhaps you guys know of some other law that God wrote Himself. If you do, please tell me of it so that I can read it also. It is a fearful thing to fall into the hands of the living God...

Till then:
Exo 20:3 Thou shalt have no other gods before me.
Exo 20:4 Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth:
Exo 20:5 Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them: for I the LORD thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate me;
Exo 20:6 And shewing mercy unto thousands of them that love me, and keep my commandments.
Exo 20:7 Thou shalt not take the name of the LORD thy God in vain; for the LORD will not hold him guiltless that taketh his name in vain.

Obviously, these first three commandments are still in force. Jesus pretty well summed these up when He said:
Mat 22:37 Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.

Exo 20:8 Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy.
Exo 20:9 Six days shalt thou labour, and do all thy work:
Exo 20:10 But the seventh day is the sabbath of the LORD thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates:
Exo 20:11 For in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the LORD blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it.
Exo 20:12 Honour thy father and thy mother: that thy days may be long upon the land which the LORD thy God giveth thee.

For some reason, this one is hotly debated...darned if I can figure out why. It's a day of rest, fevvinsakes. Yes, the Law of Moses added a bunch of restrictions to it, but here is the commandment in it's pure form, as written by God, Himself.
I would argue that honoring the Lord's sanctified day of rest would also be included in Jesus' statement, quoted above.

Exo 20:13 Thou shalt not kill.
Exo 20:14 Thou shalt not commit adultery.
Exo 20:15 Thou shalt not steal.
Exo 20:16 Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbour.
Exo 20:17 Thou shalt not covet thy neighbour's house, thou shalt not covet thy neighbour's wife, nor his manservant, nor his maidservant, nor his ox, nor his ass, nor any thing that is thy neighbour's.

Come on, gang...these are too obvious. Who would dare to say that these have been "done away"? I am not quite that bold!
These are neatly covered under Jesus' statement:
Mat 22:39 And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

I'm sure you guys are aware that Jesus remarked on all ten of these commandments, and expanded on them, in all four of the gospels. In case you are not, I can provide the verses...again.

If I have missed something, would one of you please enlighten me?
Thanks.

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Barrd said:
I thought I had covered the important verses, FHII. Did I miss something?
Yes, you did: the important verses that you don't think are important! The verses that tell you that faith is what God wrote in their minds. Also, the verse that identifies what sinning willfully is. In other words, you skipped every verse that proves you wrong and deemed it as unimportant!

Please read by far the most important verse in the bible about understanding the bible: Mat 4:4!

By the way... yes, god gave the 10 commandments, but what did he do after that? He gave Moses a whole bunch more! The 10 commandments are part of the law, and they aren't part of the new covenant.

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Barrd said:
Mat 4:4 But he answered and said, It is written, Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God.

One of my favorite verses, FHII.
Well good! Now please explain to me how you determined which verses were important and which weren't! Especially when the verses you skipped are pertinent to the topic and show that the law of faith is what god put in their hearts.

Its not the first time you've done this, barrd. I hate to talk about you and not what is being discussed. But it happens often.

Barrd

His Humble Servant
Jul 27, 2015
FHII said:
Yes, you did: the important verses that you don't think are important! The verses that tell you that faith is what God wrote in their minds. Also, the verse that identifies what sinning willfully is. In other words, you skipped every verse that proves you wrong and deemed it as unimportant!

Please read by far the most important verse in the bible about understanding the bible: Mat 4:4!

By the way... yes, god gave the 10 commandments, but what did he do after that? He gave Moses a whole bunch more! The 10 commandments are part of the law, and they aren't part of the new covenant.
Heb 10:1 For the law having a shadow of good things to come, and not the very image of the things, can never with those sacrifices which they offered year by year continually make the comers thereunto perfect.
Heb 10:2 For then would they not have ceased to be offered? because that the worshippers once purged should have had no more conscience of sins.
Heb 10:3 But in those sacrifices there is a remembrance again made of sins every year.
Heb 10:4 For it is not possible that the blood of bulls and of goats should take away sins.
Heb 10:5 Wherefore when he cometh into the world, he saith, Sacrifice and offering thou wouldest not, but a body hast thou prepared me:
Heb 10:6 In burnt offerings and sacrifices for sin thou hast had no pleasure.
Heb 10:7 Then said I, Lo, I come (in the volume of the book it is written of me,) to do thy will, O God.
Heb 10:8 Above when he said, Sacrifice and offering and burnt offerings and offering for sin thou wouldest not, neither hadst pleasure therein; which are offered by the law;

Here are the first eight verses. I would have thought that it is fairly obvious that, under the old system, the sacrifices offered were temporary...isn't that what these verses are about?

Heb 10:12 But this man, after he had offered one sacrifice for sins for ever, sat down on the right hand of God;
Heb 10:13 From henceforth expecting till his enemies be made his footstool.
Heb 10:14 For by one offering he hath perfected for ever them that are sanctified.
Heb 10:15 Whereof the Holy Ghost also is a witness to us: for after that he had said before,

Unlike the sacrifices of bulls, goats, lambs, doves, etc, which were temporary, and needed to be repeated over and over again, Jesus' sacrifice is permanent. By this once-for-all offering, He has "perfected for ever them that are sanctified"...i.e., those who believe in Him, and who have trusted Him.

Heb 10:19 Having therefore, brethren, boldness to enter into the holiest by the blood of Jesus,
Heb 10:20 By a new and living way, which he hath consecrated for us, through the veil, that is to say, his flesh;

Because He has given Himself for us, we may boldly come to the Throne of God, Who will hear our prayers.

Heb 10:21 And having an high priest over the house of God;
Heb 10:22 Let us draw near with a true heart in full assurance of faith, having our hearts sprinkled from an evil conscience, and our bodies washed with pure water.

Our hearts must be sprinkled from an evil conscience, and our bodies washed with pure water...why do you think these are required, FHII, if it is not because of sin? And, as we have seen, sin is transgression of the law. There cannot be sin unless there is a law to transgress.

Heb 10:23 Let us hold fast the profession of our faith without wavering; (for he is faithful that promised;)
Heb 10:24 And let us consider one another to provoke unto love and to good works:
Heb 10:25 Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another: and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching.

As we are also to hold fast to our faith, without wavering. We need to be sure of what it is we believe, and hold tight to it, believing in His promise.
We are to provoke one another to love and to good works. Good works? Yes, that is what it says...good works. How 'bout that. But we know that faith without works is dead...
We are to assemble ourselves together, and exhort one another. There is strength in numbers, and we are going to need that strength as the Last Days approach. (I'm not someone who thinks she knows exactly when that's going to be...but I suspect it won't be long now.)

Heb 10:28 He that despised Moses' law died without mercy under two or three witnesses:

Yeah. There are a few differences between the Ten Commandments and Moses' law. For one thing, the big Ten were written by God, Himself. Moses wrote the rest. Under God's inspiration, of course, but it doesn't look as if God actually dictated to Moses. For another, the Ten were written on stone, which indicates permanence, while the rest was written on paper...papyrus, or whatever they were using to write on back then. The Ten were placed within the Ark of the Covenant...inside of it...along with Aaron's rod and the golden pot of manna, showing that they were sacred. Moses' law was placed beside the Ark, as a witness against the people.
Surely, you guys, who are scholars, know these things. If you do not, they are written for you in your Bible.

Heb 10:29 Of how much sorer punishment, suppose ye, shall he be thought worthy, who hath trodden under foot the Son of God, and hath counted the blood of the covenant, wherewith he was sanctified, an unholy thing, and hath done despite unto the Spirit of grace?
Heb 10:30 For we know him that hath said, Vengeance belongeth unto me, I will recompense, saith the Lord. And again, The Lord shall judge his people.

Vengeance? Recompense? Trodding the Son of God underfoot? Counting His precious blood as an "unholy thing"?

Not good! This doesn't sound an awful lot like "faith alone" type verses to me...

Heb 10:32 But call to remembrance the former days, in which, after ye were illuminated, ye endured a great fight of afflictions;
Heb 10:33 Partly, whilst ye were made a gazingstock both by reproaches and afflictions; and partly, whilst ye became companions of them that were so used.
Heb 10:34 For ye had compassion of me in my bonds, and took joyfully the spoiling of your goods, knowing in yourselves that ye have in heaven a better and an enduring substance.
Heb 10:35 Cast not away therefore your confidence, which hath great recompence of reward.
Heb 10:36 For ye have need of patience, that, after ye have done the will of God, ye might receive the promise.
Heb 10:37 For yet a little while, and he that shall come will come, and will not tarry.
Heb 10:38 Now the just shall live by faith: but if any man draw back, my soul shall have no pleasure in him.
Heb 10:39 But we are not of them who draw back unto perdition; but of them that believe to the saving of the soul.

Here we have some personal words from the writer of Hebrews, which may or may not be Paul. He speaks of the afflictions suffered by the early Christians.
He is pleased that they took compassion on him in his bonds, and were not concerned with worldly things, but gave freely.
They are to continue in their confidence, they will need to be patient...
And they are to continue to do the will of God.
What do you think the will of God is, FHII, if it is not to obey Him? Are we not to abstain from sin? I can't seem to repeat it often enough...sin is transgression of the law. There cannot be a transgression of the law unless there is a law to transgress.
Out on the country roads, I may drive as fast as safety allows, because there is no speed limit.
However, in town, I must slow down to 30 mph, otherwise I will transgress the law...and I will have to pay a fine.
The just shall live by faith. Yes, but as James tells us, faith without works is dead. And dead faith cannot save anyone.
We are not to draw back unto perdition...

KJV Dictionary Definition: perdition

perdition
PERDI'TION, n. L. perditio, from perdo, to lose, to ruin.
1. Entire loss or ruin; utter destruction; as the perdition of the Turkish fleet.
In this sense, the word is now nearly or wholly obsolete.
2. The utter loss of the soul or of final happiness in a future state; future misery or eternal death. The impenitent sinner is condemned to final perdition.
If we reject the truth, we seal our own perdition.
3. Loss. Not used.

A question for you FHII, since you know so much more about these things than I do. How does one lose his or her soul, or their final happiness? How do they wind up in misery, or eternal death? It says the impenitent sinner is condemned to final perdition. Do you agree with that statement?
And what is a sinner? Isn't it someone who has transgressed the law?
I know you're probably getting tired of me asking you this question...but how can one sin...if there is no law to transgress?

And there you have it. The entire chapter, FHII.
I'm scratching my head here...

Barrd

His Humble Servant
Jul 27, 2015
FHII said:
To answer your last charge, let me repeat myself here:

There are a few differences between the Ten Commandments and Moses' law. For one thing, the big Ten were written by God, Himself. Moses wrote the rest. For another, the Ten were written on stone, which indicates permanence, while the rest was written on paper...papyrus, or whatever they were using to write on back then. The Ten were placed within the Ark of the Covenant...inside of it...along with Aaron's rod and the golden pot of manna, showing that they were sacred. Moses' law was placed beside the Ark, as a witness against the people.
Surely, you guys, who are scholars, know these things. If you do not, they are written for you in your Bible.

Barrd

His Humble Servant
Jul 27, 2015
I have often thought that we have taken rather a light view toward sin in our time. We seem to have forgotten that our sin is the reason Christ was crucified. It was our filthy sin that put the Lord...pure as sunshine and as innocent as a daisy...up on that nasty cross.
And yet, we have forgotten to be ashamed...

heretoeternity

Oct 11, 2014
Asia/Pacific
Heretoeternity,

Yea, Stan does that. Problem is you just sunk to his level and below it. Hate to say it, but you ought to look at mat 7:5.

1st John 4...it is always a good idea to test the spirit you are actually following, to make sure it is from God, and not satan.
matthew 7 ...by their fruits they will be known...

StanJ

Lifelong student of God's Word.
May 13, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
The Barrd said:
I'm not going to try to post the entire Bible, FHII.
I have to agree with him on this one Barrd. That is a bad habit I've noticed from the get go. Can't make up my mind if it's deliberate or just indoctrinal?

Barrd

His Humble Servant
Jul 27, 2015
StanJ said:
I have to agree with him on this one Barrd. That is a bad habit I've noticed from the get go. Can't make up my mind if it's deliberate or just indoctrinal?
Once again....I'm not going to post the entire Bible.
No one wants to read a huge wall of text. I know I'm not going to bother to read an entire chapter of scripture in a post on a forum. Show me the pertinent verses...I can look them up in my own Bible, and check the context for myself.
As it turns out, the rest of Hebrews 8...those verses that I did not post...do not change the meaning of the verses that I did post. I posted them as well, just to make FHII happy.
Scroll up to my post #91.

Oh, and, I'll be watching to see how often you post an entire chapter at a time, Stan...not something you do on a regular basis.

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Barrd said:
Once again....I'm not going to post the entire Bible.
No one wants to read a huge wall of text. I know I'm not going to bother to read an entire chapter of scripture in a post on a forum. Show me the pertinent verses...I can look them up in my own Bible, and check the context for myself.
As it turns out, the rest of Hebrews 8...those verses that I did not post...do not change the meaning of the verses that I did post. I posted them as well, just to make FHII happy.
Scroll up to my post #91.

Oh, and, I'll be watching to see how often you post an entire chapter at a time, Stan...not something you do on a regular basis.
Barrd,

You're missing the point. No one is saying you have to post an entire chapter. In fact, you can effectively make a point without quoting any scripture by eluding to it and staying within context.

What I don't wamt to see is anyone posting parts of a chapter and excluding major portions of that chapter that define the topic.

Now, in this case you are trying to prove that because law of moses is still relevant (in that you believe thr 10 Commandments are different, but they are not) because God wrote his law in their hearts. Yet, you skipped over the verses that identify those laes and the process as being "faith".

Hebrews 8 is even more brutal.... it ends with the old covenant decaying and vanishing away, so it isn't what God is putting in their heart.

Barrd, on a very related note, I read in another thread you saying you weren't going to go through the book of Galatians to find the verse that makes your point. Well, tgat absolutely the WRONG way to read the Bible! You should not read a book to find A verse that supports your doctrine; you should read the entire book and let it dictate and form your doctrine. In other words, don't try to make God's Word fit you beliefs, but instead make God's beliefs yours.

I love ya barrd, but if you continue to search and isolate verses, you are always going to have someone saying, "wait a minute! That's not what the author is saying!"

Barrd

His Humble Servant
Jul 27, 2015
FHII said:
Barrd,

You're missing the point. No one is saying you have to post an entire chapter. In fact, you can effectively make a point without quoting any scripture by eluding to it and staying within context.

What I don't wamt to see is anyone posting parts of a chapter and excluding major portions of that chapter that define the topic.

Now, in this case you are trying to prove that because law of moses is still relevant (in that you believe thr 10 Commandments are different, but they are not) because God wrote his law in their hearts. Yet, you skipped over the verses that identify those laes and the process as being "faith".

Hebrews 8 is even more brutal.... it ends with the old covenant decaying and vanishing away, so it isn't what God is putting in their heart.

Barrd, on a very related note, I read in another thread you saying you weren't going to go through the book of Galatians to find the verse that makes your point. Well, tgat absolutely the WRONG way to read the Bible! You should not read a book to find A verse that supports your doctrine; you should read the entire book and let it dictate and form your doctrine. In other words, don't try to make God's Word fit you beliefs, but instead make God's beliefs yours.

I love ya barrd, but if you continue to search and isolate verses, you are always going to have someone saying, "wait a minute! That's not what the author is saying!"
No, FHII, I think it is you that is missing the point.
I guess you were assuming that I had not read the Book of Hebrews. I assure you, I have read it. Several times, actually.
I just do not agree with you that the Ten Commandments have been, or ever could be, done away. I would have to say, "Wait a minute! That's not what the author is saying!"
I've also read the Book of Galatians, and I don't see the Law being abolished, there, either.
In fact, I have read the entire Bible, cover to cover, many, many times, beginning when I was twelve years old. Before that, I had read from my parents' Bibles, and I had a children's Bible of my own.
I'm not exactly unfamiliar with it, FHII.

There are a couple of very important truths that the lawless camp...which seems to include most of Christianity...seem to gloss over.

One of those is "sin". If you have read the entire Bible, and you didn't come away with the understanding that "sin" is a very bad thing, there is little more to say. Sin is what separates us from God. Sin causes all kinds of misery. We have all sinned and fallen short of the glory of God. Sin condemns us to an eternity without God. We are in a hopeless mess. Condemned and damned...and helpless to do anything about it.
What, exactly, is "sin"? If you have read the Bible, and you still do not know what "sin" is, you are not going to understand why it is that you stand condemned before God, and why you need a Savior.

Which brings me to the second important truth that the lawless camp seems not to understand.
It is "sin"...my "sin", your "sin"...it is "SIN" that put Our Lord on the cross.

FHII, have you ever really thought what crucifixion really means? It's been 2000 years. It seems to me as if the church has forgotten just how horrendous crucifixion actually was. I want you to think about the horror of it, FHII. Being stretched out on a rough wooden cross, helpless, as large soldiers drive cruel spikes through your wrists and feet. One soldier holds the spike over your tender flesh while another slams a hammer down, driving that spike deeply into you, tearing through flesh, severing tendons, shredding veins, shattering bone...WHAM! You scream! WHAM! Your body shudders, as you continue to scream, the pain too great to be born. A couple more blows, and you ain't moving that arm ever again. Then on to the other arm. WHAM! New tremors shoot through you. WHAM! Blood spurts from the wound, hitting the soldier holding the spike in the face. He grins, but he never flinches. He's done this before. WHAM. Again, the spike tears into you, and you feel your bones crunch. The blows continue until this arm is also fixed to the wood. And on to your feet, where the spike goes through both heels. This may take awhile...
And then, in unimaginable agony, the cross is pulled upright. You are now hanging from those cruel spikes, as you are dropped into a hole. And there you hang...naked and defenseless, as passers by mock you and carrion eating birds begin to get a little bolder...the pressure on your lungs increases, causing you to squirm as you fight for air...
I want you to really feel the horror of it. Smell the blood, FHII. Get the reality of it. Crucifixion is not just a pretty church word. It is a very ugly reality.
And it shows the brutality that human beings are capable of.

FHII, I don't think you or I could handle even being tied to such a cross for very long, much less nailed to one.
And don't forget, Jesus had been badly abused, beaten and whipped, before He was crucified.
And this was the punishment He endured for our sin.

I think we can safely say that sin is very serious.
Once again, SIN is TRANSGRESSION OF THE LAW.
Seriously, FHII, I would like you to actually tell me...how can you transgress a law that has been abolished? Can you really give me an answer to that question, please?

I find it very sad that most "Christians" can quote from Paul without ever cracking their Bibles open.
And yet, I've met many Christians who have no idea what Jesus taught in the Sermon on the Mount. They have no idea what The Great Commission is. They never heard of Barabbas.
They have no idea Who Jesus actually is.
But they know Paul intimately...or at least, they think that they do.
They have verse after verse that seem to indicate that they are no longer "under the law", thinking that this means that they can toss the rule book away.
And what is the result?
Take a good, long look around you. Divorce. Single parent families. Pre-marital sex. Abortion. Pornography. Child abuse. Prostitution. Deadbeat Dads. Abortion. Homosexuality. Filthy gossip. All under the fond gaze of the Church, which teaches that there is no more law. After all, Jesus paid for your sin...so you may as well get His money's worth...

Barrd

His Humble Servant
Jul 27, 2015
Hebrews 8.

Heb 8:1 Now of the things which we have spoken this is the sum: We have such an high priest, who is set on the right hand of the throne of the Majesty in the heavens;
Heb 8:2 A minister of the sanctuary, and of the true tabernacle, which the Lord pitched, and not man.

Our High Priest is eternal, and the true tabernacle is in Heaven.

Heb 8:3 For every high priest is ordained to offer gifts and sacrifices: wherefore it is of necessity that this man have somewhat also to offer.

And we know that what He offers is His Own Blood.

Heb 8:4 For if he were on earth, he should not be a priest, seeing that there are priests that offer gifts according to the law:
Heb 8:5 Who serve unto the example and shadow of heavenly things, as Moses was admonished of God when he was about to make the tabernacle: for, See, saith he, that thou make all things according to the pattern shewed to thee in the mount.

What we have here on earth is an example of heavenly things.

Heb 8:6 But now hath he obtained a more excellent ministry, by how much also he is the mediator of a better covenant, which was established upon better promises.
Heb 8:7 For if that first covenant had been faultless, then should no place have been sought for the second.

The first Covenant was not without fault. The New Covenant is a better Covenant, established upon better promises.

Heb 8:8 For finding fault with them, he saith, Behold, the days come, saith the Lord, when I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and with the house of Judah:

The New Covenant, like the old, is to be established with the House of Israel and the House of Judah. That is important.

Heb 8:9 Not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day when I took them by the hand to lead them out of the land of Egypt; because they continued not in my covenant, and I regarded them not, saith the Lord.

There are going to be some changes made in this New Covenant.

Heb 8:10 For this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, saith the Lord; I will put my laws into their mind, and write them in their hearts: and I will be to them a God, and they shall be to me a people:

The New Covenant will not be a lawless covenant. God will put His Laws into our minds, and write them on our hearts. What laws is He talking about?

Heb 8:11 And they shall not teach every man his neighbour, and every man his brother, saying, Know the Lord: for all shall know me, from the least to the greatest.

We won't need a priesthood to explain Who God is for us. We will each of us know Him personally.

Heb 8:12 For I will be merciful to their unrighteousness, and their sins and their iniquities will I remember no more.

He will be merciful to our unrighteousnesss. What unrighteousness?
And He will not remember our sins and iniquities. What sins? What iniquities?

Heb 8:13 In that he saith, A new covenant, he hath made the first old. Now that which decayeth and waxeth old is ready to vanish away.

Obviously, we no longer need the Old Covenant.

Were you under the impression that this means that the Ten Commandments also "decayeth and waxeth old"?
Where, exactly, does it say that?

I will not have it be said that I skipped over any verses here. I have posted the entire chapter.

Now, once again...sin is transgression of the law. If there is no law to transgress, how can there be any sin?