Paul's Thorn In The Flesh=Not a Sickness but a Messenger of Satan to buffet me.

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Could it be that entertainment is desired rather than truth or perhaps truth that challenges is not sufficiently entertaining and therefore dismissed/sidestepped/criticised or lampooned?

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Could it be that entertainment is desired rather than truth or perhaps truth that challenges is not sufficiently entertaining and therefore dismissed/sidestepped/criticised or lampooned?

I dunno. I can't speak for others, but I largely agree with Triumph and Amadeus, and I think it stems largely from the spirit under which posts are written. I wouldn't blame them for not even reading the stuff I write half the time when I have to defend myself. There's no edification in reading contentious material, and the Spirit within you will immediately signal you to this. Same goes for marathon posts. The Spirit will simply not lead you there because there's no anointing on it; just a lot of headache.

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I dunno. I can't speak for others, but I largely agree with Triumph and Amadeus, and I think it stems largely from the spirit under which posts are written. I wouldn't blame them for not even reading the stuff I write half the time when I have to defend myself. There's no edification in reading contentious material, and the Spirit within you will immediately signal you to this. Same goes for marathon posts. The Spirit will simply not lead you there because there's no anointing on it; just a lot of headache.

If one thinks it all needs digesting in a quick read as per entertainment then sure its a headache. It becomes a headache because new information and or challenge requires application/work and if one is trained for quick fixes and instant gratification it's problematic.
Directives from Jesus is to seek/knock/ask in order for delivery to be realised. Sitting back and settling for the prechewed opinions of others will mostly deliver resistance when challenged.

If I really want to know I need to apply myself and be as objective as I know how. Expecting to understand by being a casual observer won't cut it.

Reactions: Nancy

Triumph1300

Jan 11, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Could it be that entertainment is desired

Well, no, but if I want to read a book I grab one out of my book case.
I hate reading long posts on my screen.
I do have a large screen hooked up to my laptop, but reading sooooo much is a pain on my eyes as well.
I like it if posts are short and to the point.

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada

Or on the other side of the coin. Could it be that some desire to push to extreme what they believe, and enjoy the entertainment of their own voices and beliefs and therefore they become their own worst enemies, because if they didn't care so much about "being heard" but they actually learned how to communicate so that they 'could' be heard.

Yet when this is asked for, the answer is " Suggestion rejected"

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If one thinks it all needs digesting in a quick read as per entertainment then sure its a headache

Not quite what I meant. In context, what I was saying is that long texts become a headache when the Spirit of God is not in it, and not witnessing to the believer that that's Who he is hearing from.
It becomes a headache because new information and or challenge requires application/work and if one is trained for quick fixes and instant gratification it's problematic.

Now certainly this can be the case, but I know it is not in mine. I own a library of scholarship that is wall-to-wall and fills this entire room where my computer is. My desks that surround me are piled high with open reference material at all times. I've studied the Biblical texts in detail for decades, and still do so today. So while there may be some for whom this would qualify, I'm not one of them. It's simply that the spirit behind what is written will turn me off when it is not written by the Spirit of God. I get no witness from it. On the other hand, good scholarship has a witness.
Directives from Jesus is to seek/knock/ask in order for delivery to be realised. Sitting back and settling for the prechewed opinions of others will mostly deliver resistance when challenged.

I agree.
If I really want to know I need to apply myself and be as objective as I know how. Expecting to understand by being a casual observer won't cut it.

I agree with this also.

Reactions: amadeus and Nancy

Triumph1300

Jan 11, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I own a library of scholarship that is wall-to-wall and fills this entire room where my computer is. My desks that surround me are piled high with open reference material at all times. I've studied the Biblical texts in detail for decades, and still do so today.

I'm impressed.
You will surely be saved, no doubt about it. ;-)

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm impressed.
You will surely be saved, no doubt about it. ;-)

LoL. Coming from you, I do believe that was pulling my leg a little, but I appreciate the humor. I just needed to communicate to him that I do have an interest in scholarship, just not everything that passes for it...

Character, LoL. *Laughing*

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What is entertaining to Jesus? If we are entertained by something that He would avoid, should we not do likewise?

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
What is entertaining to Jesus? If we are entertained by something that He would avoid, should we not do likewise?
The question is now, what do we imagine he would avoid?
Would he avoid God's Law?

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
He WAS the Law, in all it's glory.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The question is now, what do we imagine he would avoid?
Would he avoid God's Law?
I would hope that I would not be led by what I imagine but rather by the Holy Ghost. Any time that I am not I am likely to head down the wrong pathway. Do we not hear His voice? If we are His sheep we most certainly do. If we are not hearing His voice than we should ask of God why we are not.