Pentecostalism History tidbits

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I used to teach what you believe. But had too many questions develop along the way to simply look the other way. One question was why God would restore the gifts to a group of seedy characters and not the Church in general. And why tongues were always spontaneous and came unexpectedly in the first century. With no mention of the coach and the practicing "tongues speakers" endure today. And the instability I've seen in Pentecostal churches that you don't see in the mainline Churches. That's the beginning of my studies and things only got worse in my views from there.

Why would Jesus call fishermen, a tax collector, a zealot, these guys? Why not the priests and scribes?

New wine skins?

Last edited:
Reactions: Butterfly

marksman

My eldest granddaughter showing the result of her
Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
your right you dont think

I think what you mean is you don't think. I come unstuck sometimes because I think too much. I am however not like the philosopher Descartes who said: "I think therefore I am."

marksman

Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
He'll never do that.
He is here on a mission as an anti -Pentecostal.

He just posts the same old thing over and over. Saying nothing.

Yes, I can't fathom that out. If it was me saying the silly things that he says, I would have resigned a long time ago.

Reactions: Helen

marksman

Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Another tidbit; "Maria Beulah Woodworth-Etter, one of the most influential early Pentecostal female preachers, was dubbed the “voodoo priestess” because she often went into trances during a service, standing like a statue for an hour or more with her hands raised while the service continued” (The Dictionary of Pentecostal and Charismatic Movements, p. 901)." Recent Pentecostal Scandals

It also says that conversions and trances became popular. Conversions...in other words many people were saved as a result of her ministry.

Some amazing accounts of healing and conversions were frequently reported in newspapers. Well, I never. That which has passed away was reported by secular newspapers. I wonder why?

She prophesied an earthquake in 1890 in San Francisco. In 1890 San Francisco had an earthquake.

It only proves what I have said before you only see what you want to see.

Ezra

Dec 27, 2018
Missouri
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think what you mean is you don't think. I come unstuck sometimes because I think too much. I am however not like the philosopher Descartes who said: "I think therefore I am."
who cares and get a life..no time for your gibberish

marksman

Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
who cares and get a life..no time for your gibberish

I am so overwhelmed by your gracious and thoughtful responses. They definitely help me to improve my theology.

By the way, which Bible College did you go to? It wouldn't by any chance be the College of Rude Remarks?

Reactions: marks and Helen

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Yes, I can't fathom that out. If it was me saying the silly things that he says, I would have resigned a long time ago.

Did you notice that ' Dave L' HAS indeed 'called it quits' and gone??

Maybe he was here to change our minds and "save us" but when it didn't work , he upped-sticks and left. He has deleted his account.
Scroll back, and all his avatars are blank and now say "Guest".
Which which is what happens when a person deletes their account.

Maybe he has moved on to new and greener challenges ...

Reactions: Nancy

marksman

Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

Maybe he was here to change our minds and "save us" but when it didn't work , he upped-sticks and left. He has deleted his account.

Thank you. I had noticed the change but did not know what was actually happening. Probably he has gone back into his foxhole to recuperate and develop another approach to saving us heathens!!

Reactions: Nancy

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I notice there are several others I do not see on here today as well but then, some I do have on ignore :(

marksman

Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
your right you dont think
No, no, that is not right. I always think when I think that I need to think to ensure that I think what I think is maybe unthinkable until I realize that what I think is what others think so I can safely think that it is OK to think what I think so I feel quite safe in thinking what I think is the right thing to think.

Reactions: marks and Helen

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No, no, that is not right. I always think when I think that I need to think to ensure that I think what I think is maybe unthinkable until I realize that what I think is what others think so I can safely think that it is OK to think what I think so I feel quite safe in thinking what I think is the right thing to think.

Well. Why don't you just say what you think?! :D

Reactions: Helen

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Really?? :confused: Woe is me for I am undone!!

Ahaha...j/k. It is getting to that point with me, as He answers prayer after prayer, I feel like it should just be an expected thing that He will do what He say's He will! I do find it exciting to see how He will work, it used to be I was impatient wondering where is GOd, where is He!!!?! Not anymore ♥

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada

Very well put.

Did you by any means used to watch Nigel Hawthorne in the British TV show.."Yes Minister". :D

He was so good at it!!

Reactions: Butterfly and Nancy

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I am so overwhelmed by your gracious and thoughtful responses. They definitely help me to improve my theology.

By the way, which Bible College did you go to? It wouldn't by any chance be the College of Rude Remarks?

LaughingSmiley.gif