Pentecostalism History tidbits

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

D

Dave L

Another tidbit; "Maria Beulah Woodworth-Etter, one of the most influential early Pentecostal female preachers, was dubbed the “voodoo priestess” because she often went into trances during a service, standing like a statue for an hour or more with her hands raised while the service continued” (The Dictionary of Pentecostal and Charismatic Movements, p. 901)." Recent Pentecostal Scandals

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
You are reading into scripture typical Pentecostal bias. Drop that and you'll see clearly.

Dito
It takes one to know one Dave...you are quoting me!! :D
Take off your dark glasses and enjoying the vision of His Kingdom.

Reactions: Nancy and amadeus
D

Dave L

Dito
It takes one to know one Dave...you are quoting me!! :D
Take off your dark glasses and enjoying the vision of His Kingdom.
I used to teach what you believe. But had too many questions develop along the way to simply look the other way. One question was why God would restore the gifts to a group of seedy characters and not the Church in general. And why tongues were always spontaneous and came unexpectedly in the first century. With no mention of the coach and the practicing "tongues speakers" endure today. And the instability I've seen in Pentecostal churches that you don't see in the mainline Churches. That's the beginning of my studies and things only got worse in my views from there.

Reactions: bbyrd009

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
But he was nothing like what you see today.
Are you seeing what Michal saw rather than what God saw?

"Then David returned to bless his household. And Michal the daughter of Saul came out to meet David, and said, How glorious was the king of Israel to day, who uncovered himself to day in the eyes of the handmaids of his servants, as one of the vain fellows shamelessly uncovereth himself!" II Sam 6:20

Reactions: Helen
D

Dave L

Are you seeing what Michal saw rather than what God saw?

"Then David returned to bless his household. And Michal the daughter of Saul came out to meet David, and said, How glorious was the king of Israel to day, who uncovered himself to day in the eyes of the handmaids of his servants, as one of the vain fellows shamelessly uncovereth himself!" II Sam 6:20
Stick to scripture and see for yourself.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Scripture is uniform in its presentation. One reason you do not speak in tongues is because they only came through an Apostle's hands besides the two outpourings. You add to scripture claiming otherwise.
And you add to scripture to so limit God.

Reactions: Nancy and Helen

marksman

My eldest granddaughter showing the result of her
Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Again. it's time for me to stop responding to you unless you post something with substance. I'm reading your posts hoping you will come up with something we can address with scripture.

Actually, you will do us all a favour if you departed these forums.

Reactions: Helen

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Actually, you will do us all a favour if you departed these forums.

He'll never do that.
He is here on a mission as an anti -Pentecostal.

He just posts the same old thing over and over. Saying nothing.