Peter identifies Jesus as our God and Savior

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

DNB

Dec 8, 2019
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
REMEMBER, Don't argue with 101G, argue with the scriptures, God Holy Word.
If the above is your signature, then you need to make the word 'God' possessive. ...even if it's not your signature, seriously!

DNB

Dec 8, 2019
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Then you are clear in your writing. I just wanted to make sure as most Christians believe Jesus is God. Do you belong to a particular denomination or group that believes as you do, or have you come to this conclusion on your own?
I have come to it on my very own. And, just to be clear, I vehemently denounce any deification of Jesus, or any other being than God the Father. To the point that I believe that doing so, is blasphemy. I'm not trying to be offensive, I just want you to appreciate who you are talking to, so that you don't waste your time making assumptions, or argue from an irrelevant position (isolated, and eisegeted verses).
Thanks!

Last edited:

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Lets see for the 1000th time.

Christianity in Monotheistic just like Islam and Judaism are Monotheistic( 1 God ).

The Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit are the ONE God.

hope this helps !!!
Always remember and take this to the grave , ISLAM is of satan . The abrahamic faith , IS THOSE whose entire faith is in JESUS ALONE .
ALWAYS remember that . No jew or anyone else , are of the Kingdom of GOD .
FOR GOD is ONE and SENT THE SON and jews or anyone else who denies that , DENIES GOD .
I have come in the glorious name of JESUS , to destroy all lies , well at least to expose those lies .
Not even a jew is saved , IF THEY confess not JESUS as the ONLY savoir . PEROID . let us always remember that .

ChristisGod

Aug 15, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I shouldn't have to explain this, for the two, or more, different senses should be obviously clear? How can the Word be with God, and be God, in the same sense?
Ok, like I said, if I were to take the expression '...our God and Saviour Jesus Christ...' on its own, and not taking context or tota-scriptura into account, then yes, we have a text that, in one sense*, appears to be affirming the deity of Jesus Christ. There is not a reasonable person in the world who can deny this. *again, many non-deities were called theos in the Bible.

That's it then, nothing else that I said has any merit? We should not consider other factors when performing Biblical exegesis? Christ said '...eat my flesh, and drink my blood'. Is that it, is the doctrine of transubstantiation irrefutably true then? Jesus also said '...if thine eye offends thee, cut it out...'. There you have it, self-flagellation and ascetism must be incumbent upon all believers?

My point is, this type of expression, calling Jesus God, is so rare, and when juxtaposed against all those where Jesus either explicitly or implicitly states that the Father is greater than himself and he derives all power and authority from Him, that it cannot override the majority text, not to mention the incomprehensibility of the conclusion. Plus, Jesus is our god, for he is seated at the right-hand (right-hand man = 2nd in command) side of the supreme and almighty God, and has been bestowed all authority and power to rule and govern the universe.

Your hermeneutics is way too isolated and lacks a comprehensive approach.
This is a good start and I'm happy to see that you admit there is a case for Jesus Deity in 2 Peter 1:1.

Of course we should consider the rest of Scripture to form any doctrine we believe. I was just focusing on Peter in this epistle for our discussion of our great God and Savior, Christ Jesus

Now I can make the same case with Paul in Titus 2:13 as the construction is almost identical to Peters in 2 Peter 1:1.

Titus 2:13
looking for the blessed hope and the appearing of the glory, of our great God and Savior, Christ Jesus

So now we can build upon the Apostles since we now have 2 of them saying the EXACT same thing about Jesus calling Him our God and Savior. Paul just adds the word Great when referring to Jesus as our God and Savior.

And from there we can bring many other passages where Jesus is referred to as God such as John 1:1, John 20:28, Hebrews 1:8 and 1:10 , 1 John 5:20 just to name a few.

hope this helps !!!

ChristisGod

Aug 15, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Always remember and take this to the grave , ISLAM is of satan . The abrahamic faith , IS THOSE whose entire faith is in JESUS ALONE .
ALWAYS remember that . No jew or anyone else , are of the Kingdom of GOD .
FOR GOD is ONE and SENT THE SON and jews or anyone else who denies that , DENIES GOD .
I have come in the glorious name of JESUS , to destroy all lies , well at least to expose those lies .
Not even a jew is saved , IF THEY confess not JESUS as the ONLY savoir . PEROID . let us always remember that .
Agreed but my point is they are considered a monotheistic religion even though they worship a false god and prophet.

Reactions: amigo de christo

DNB

Dec 8, 2019
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
This is a good start and I'm happy to see that you admit there is a case for Jesus Deity in 2 Peter 1:1.

Of course we should consider the rest of Scripture to form any doctrine we believe. I was just focusing on Peter in this epistle for our discussion of our great God and Savior, Christ Jesus

Now I can make the same case with Paul in Titus 2:13 as the construction is almost identical to Peters in 2 Peter 1:1.

Titus 2:13
looking for the blessed hope and the appearing of the glory, of our great God and Savior, Christ Jesus

So now we can build upon the Apostles since we now have 2 of them saying the EXACT same thing about Jesus calling Him our God and Savior. Paul just adds the word Great when referring to Jesus as our God and Savior.

And from there we can bring many other passages where Jesus is referred to as God such as John 1:1, John 20:28, Hebrews 1:8 and 1:10 , 1 John 5:20 just to name a few.

hope this helps !!!
Ok, I guess the problem that we are having is, yes, I know from where the trinitarians derive their conclusions from. I don't believe that you are doing the same. You will not reply to me unless I concede your point, despite you not acknowledging the contrarian verses, and astutely trying to harmonize them. My contention has always been that the verses that unequivocally assert Jesus' reliance on the Father for everything, in both text amount and rationale, outweigh all the passages that appear to define his deity.
Even within the books, and chapter in one case, that you quoted (2 Peter 1:1, Titus 2:13), we have verses that are adverse to your conclusion. You are clearly not taking all of scripture into account.

Titus 1:4
1:4. To Titus, my true child in a common faith: Grace and peace from God the Father and Christ Jesus our Savior.
2 Peter 1:2
1:2. Grace and peace be multiplied to you in the knowledge of God and of Jesus our Lord;

ChristisGod

Aug 15, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ok, I guess the problem that we are having is, yes, I know from where the trinitarians derive their conclusions from. I don't believe that you are doing the same. You will not reply to me unless I concede your point, despite you not acknowledging the contrarian verses, and astutely trying to harmonize them. My contention has always been that the verses that unequivocally assert Jesus' reliance on the Father for everything, in both text amount and rationale, outweigh all the passages that appear to define his deity.
Even within the books, and chapter in one case, that you quoted (2 Peter 1:1, Titus 2:13), we have verses that are adverse to your conclusion. You are clearly not taking all of scripture into account.

Titus 1:4
1:4. To Titus, my true child in a common faith: Grace and peace from God the Father and Christ Jesus our Savior.
2 Peter 1:2
1:2. Grace and peace be multiplied to you in the knowledge of God and of Jesus our Lord;
I will admit for sure that Jesus relied upon the Father during His earthly ministry that is a given since Jesus is a man and had to experience what it was like to be a man with dependence upon the Father, temptation, growing in wisdom and knowledge as a man etc........ We have no differences when it comes to Jesus being a man as far a I'm aware of DNB.

Our differences are on His Deity in scripture. And as a trinitarian I believe Jesus is both fully man(a human, a human nature) and fully God( having the nature of God-a Divine nature). Hence there are 2 natures in Christ. I have a thread on that topic from Colossians 2:9.

hope this helps !!!

Reactions: amigo de christo

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have a question...

Do either one of you recognize the expertise of the theologians who determined early ideas like the Doctrine of the Trinity?

Often it seems like people who post here, with such conviction, have zero regard for theologians, historians and scholars in antiquity. In contrast, my opinion about them is, they were not only Godly, but extremely educated. After reading Athanasius ideas about the Trinity in response to the Arian heresy, his brilliance becomes obvious fairly quickly.

Armchair quarterbacking these ideas, 1800 years later is worse than first year psychology students dismissing Freud or Jung without considering the role they played in the history of the discipline.

Finally, the history of Christianity is filled with people who have dismissed established doctrine like the Trinity for the sole purpose of starting their own movement. Therefore, it appears crucial IMO to question the motives of these men and women, before going outside Christian doctrine by dismantling and rejecting traditional ideas.

Reactions: ChristisGod

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have come to it on my very own. And, just to be clear, I vehemently denounce any deification of Jesus, or any other being than God the Father. To the point that I believe that doing so, is blasphemy. I'm not trying to be offensive, I just want you to appreciate who you are talking to, so that you don't waste your time making assumptions, or argue from an irrelevant position (isolated, and eisegeted verses).
Thanks!

Did it sound to you like I was making assumptions, or first going to the horses mouth?

kcnalp

Apr 5, 2020
Indianapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Father, Son and Holy Spirit all make up the ONE true God of the Bible. Call the doctrine whatever you like. Why do people try to "figure out" our infinite God of the Bible.

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
and @Christophany

I don't know if someone cannot be saved if they believe Jesus is the Son of God, and not a created being, but just don't think of Him the same as the Father God. I remember the day, long after I was born again, discovering in the Word that Jesus is God! I even wrote it in my Bible by the verse. It was an epiphany for sure, but I don't believe I couldn't be saved for not being a scholar before that.

A powerful testimony...
Men of Flesh, "saw, heard, spoke, touched" Jesus, KNEW Him as a Flesh Man.

It was "understanding"....not what they could or did "see, hear, speak, touch" but what they could NOT "see, hear, speak, touch"... IS Spirit, they discovered, and Knew IS Christ.

Individuals coming to terms of what they KNOW... BY their mindful logic...IS completely Different what they KNOW in their heart....and which (within themselves) mind or heart are they going to trust.

2 Cor 5:
[16] ... yea, though we have known Christ after the flesh, yet now henceforth know we him no more.

Just a thought,
Taken

DNB

Dec 8, 2019
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada

Matt 28 baptizing them in the NAME (singular) of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit.
Change the batteries in your calculator, very soon, it's making you look inept!!!

DNB

Dec 8, 2019
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I will admit for sure that Jesus relied upon the Father during His earthly ministry that is a given since Jesus is a man and had to experience what it was like to be a man with dependence upon the Father, temptation, growing in wisdom and knowledge as a man etc........ We have no differences when it comes to Jesus being a man as far a I'm aware of DNB.

Our differences are on His Deity in scripture. And as a trinitarian I believe Jesus is both fully man(a human, a human nature) and fully God( having the nature of God-a Divine nature). Hence there are 2 natures in Christ. I have a thread on that topic from Colossians 2:9.

hope this helps !!!
Yes, we agree on the humanity of Christ, and I imagine, but maybe not, the full necessity of that - the Resurrection and Atonement are only effectuated in a viable manner if he were so - and, falls apart if he's something other than 200% man.

And yes, our differences lay in the matter of Jesus being God. Without going into a long thesis, or repeating myself from other threads, I think that your 2nd paragraph sums up the nature of the controversy - the trinitarian conclusion is so incomprehensible, implausible and even contradictory, that we cannot regard or esteem God or Jesus in this manner, nor the revelation of this in His Word.

DNB

Dec 8, 2019
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Did it sound to you like I was making assumptions, or first going to the horses mouth?
No, that wasn't an accusation at all. It was an attempt to further clarify my position so that if you chose to engage any further, you don't conclude, for example, that I feel that one can be saved as a trinitarian (that kind of assumption).
I've made many assumptions about people being trinitarian, for example, because they said that Jesus was God, when it turned out that they were modalist - I wasted quite a few posts addressing the issue from a wrong angle.

That's all that I was trying to say. Sorry for confusion. Thanks!

DNB

Dec 8, 2019
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I have a question...

Do either one of you recognize the expertise of the theologians who determined early ideas like the Doctrine of the Trinity?

Often it seems like people who post here, with such conviction, have zero regard for theologians, historians and scholars in antiquity. In contrast, my opinion about them is, they were not only Godly, but extremely educated. After reading Athanasius ideas about the Trinity in response to the Arian heresy, his brilliance becomes obvious fairly quickly.

Armchair quarterbacking these ideas, 1800 years later is worse than first year psychology students dismissing Freud or Jung without considering the role they played in the history of the discipline.

Finally, the history of Christianity is filled with people who have dismissed established doctrine like the Trinity for the sole purpose of starting their own movement. Therefore, it appears crucial IMO to question the motives of these men and women, before going outside Christian doctrine by dismantling and rejecting traditional ideas.
Well, if it means anything to you aspen, from an absolutely objective standpoint, I find that the doctrine of the trinity is the most irrational, absurd and deranged doctrine in all of Christendom. To the point, that I can barely take a trinitarian serious. For, I have often said that I have never seen a doctrine that can turn men with a rather high acumen, into a bunch of confused, conflicted and incompetent novices, like this one.
I have not seen such shallowness and lack of wisdom in their exegesis, and such recklessness and abandonment in their inferred conclusion.

I have never witnessed a trinitarian glorify God in any of their tenets, but invariably always end up with their foot in their mouth whenever they speak, or capitulate with an appeal to mystery - euphemism for subversive nonsense.

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well, if it means anything to you aspen, from an absolutely objective standpoint, I find that the doctrine of the trinity is the most irrational, absurd and deranged doctrine in all of Christendom. To the point, that I can barely take a trinitarian serious. For, I have often said that I have never seen a doctrine that can turn men with a rather high acumen, into a bunch of confused, conflicted and incompetent novices, like this one.
I have not seen such shallowness and lack of wisdom in their exegesis, and such recklessness and abandonment in their inferred conclusion.

I have never witnessed a trinitarian glorify God in any of their tenets, but invariably always end up with their foot in their mouth whenever they speak, or capitulate with an appeal to mystery - euphemism for subversive nonsense.

so your on the fence...

that was a joke....

have you bothered to study any of the theologians who wrote about the doctrine?

how do you explain the Divinity of Christ, the Holy Spirit and Father, while holding to the idea that God is one?