Peter Was Never The Rock

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

eldios

May 20, 2017
California
Faith
Country
United States
All the words in scripture can have only one meaning? I suppose Jesus didn't change Simon bar Jonah to ROCK, He called him Harry or Fred.
********BREAKING NEWS!!!********* Catholics know "rock" is a metaphor for God!!!! Does that take away Jesus' authority to change Simon bar Jonah's name to ROCK that stuck with him throughout the Bible? Is Jesus calling him God or is He calling Peter a foundation?

The "rock" is the invisible Word of God where all created men were born.

John 1
1: In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.
2: He was in the beginning with God;
3: all things were made through him, and without him was not anything made that was made.
4: In him was life, and the life was the light of men.

John 6
63: It is the spirit that gives life, the flesh is of no avail; the words that I have spoken to you are spirit and life.

The "rock" that Jesus and all us other servants speak for is our created existence called God. This is why all of us servants can say the same exact thing as Jesus did;

John 10
25: Jesus answered them, "I told you, and you do not believe. The works that I do in my Father's name, they bear witness to me;
26: but you do not believe, because you do not belong to my sheep.
27: My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me;
28: and I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish, and no one shall snatch them out of my hand.
29: My Father, who has given them to me, is greater than all, and no one is able to snatch them out of the Father's hand.
30: I and the Father are one."

Mungo

May 23, 2012
England
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Genesis 6
12: And God saw the earth, and behold, it was corrupt; for all flesh had corrupted their way upon the earth.
13: And God said to Noah, "I have determined to make an end of all flesh; for the earth is filled with violence through them; behold, I will destroy them with the earth.

17: For behold, I will bring a flood of waters upon the earth, to destroy all flesh in which is the breath of life from under heaven; everything that is on the earth shall die.

2 Peter 3
1 This is now the second letter that I have written to you, beloved, and in both of them I have aroused your sincere mind by way of reminder;
2 that you should remember the predictions of the holy prophets and the commandment of the Lord and Savior through your apostles.
3 First of all you must understand this, that scoffers will come in the last days with scoffing, following their own passions
4 and saying, "Where is the promise of his coming? For ever since the fathers fell asleep, all things have continued as they were from the beginning of creation."
5 They deliberately ignore this fact, that by the word of God heavens existed long ago, and an earth formed out of water and by means of water,
6 through which the world that then existed was deluged with water and perished.
7 But by the same word the heavens and earth that now exist have been stored up for fire, being kept until the day of judgment and destruction of ungodly men.
8 But do not ignore this one fact, beloved, that with the Lord one day is as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day.
9 The Lord is not slow about his promise as some count slowness, but is forbearing toward you, not wishing that any should perish, but that all should reach repentance.
10 But the day of the Lord will come like a thief, and then the heavens will pass away with a loud noise, and the elements will be dissolved with fire, and the earth and the works that are upon it will be burned up.

The ungodly men ( proud of the earth ) are only formed illusions in the created minds of men that perish during this first temporary generation. All created men will remain in the image of God as they experience the death of their flesh.

Psalm 22:
25: From thee comes my praise in the great congregation; my vows I will pay before those who fear him.
26: The afflicted shall eat and be satisfied; those who seek him shall praise the LORD! May your hearts live for ever!
27: All the ends of the earth shall remember and turn to the LORD; and all the families of the nations shall worship before him.
28: For dominion belongs to the LORD, and he rules over the nations.
29: Yea, to him shall all the proud of the earth bow down; before him shall bow all who go down to the dust, and he who cannot keep himself alive.
30: Posterity shall serve him; men shall tell of the Lord to the coming generation,
31: and proclaim his deliverance to a people yet unborn, that he has wrought it.

I Timothy 4:10
10: For to this end we toil and strive, because we have our hope set on the living God, who is the Savior of all men, especially of those who believe.

Titus 2:11
11: For the grace of God has appeared for the salvation of all men,

Yes, yes, anyone can string a lot of scripture quotions together but how do these justify your statement The visible flesh of man was born of Satan so all flesh will perish during this temporary generation and especially on the day of the Lord when everything on earth is destroyed.

For example where is the justification for claiming "The visible flesh of man was born of Satan"

eldios

May 20, 2017
California
Faith
Country
United States
Yes, yes, anyone can string a lot of scripture quotions together but how do these justify your statement The visible flesh of man was born of Satan so all flesh will perish during this temporary generation and especially on the day of the Lord when everything on earth is destroyed.

For example where is the justification for claiming "The visible flesh of man was born of Satan"

You were either chosen to believe these words from the mind of Christ or not believe them.

Romans 11:
3: "Lord, they have killed thy prophets, they have demolished thy altars, and I alone am left, and they seek my life."
4: But what is God's reply to him? "I have kept for myself seven thousand men who have not bowed the knee to Ba'al."
5: So too at the present time there is a remnant, chosen by grace.
6: But if it is by grace, it is no longer on the basis of works; otherwise grace would no longer be grace.
7: What then? Israel failed to obtain what it sought. The elect obtained it, but the rest were hardened,
8: as it is written, "God gave them a spirit of stupor, eyes that should not see and ears that should not hear, down to this very day."

Mungo

May 23, 2012
England
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
You were either chosen to believe these words from the mind of Christ or not believe them.

Romans 11:
3: "Lord, they have killed thy prophets, they have demolished thy altars, and I alone am left, and they seek my life."
4: But what is God's reply to him? "I have kept for myself seven thousand men who have not bowed the knee to Ba'al."
6: But if it is by grace, it is no longer on the basis of works; otherwise grace would no longer be grace.
7: What then? Israel failed to obtain what it sought. The elect obtained it, but the rest were hardened,
8: as it is written, "God gave them a spirit of stupor, eyes that should not see and ears that should not hear, down to this very day."

OK, so your quotes say nothing to backup your claims.

I didn't think you had any.

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You're right. This verse has nothing to do with the keys in Isaiah 22:22, or Matthew 16:19, which is what I am talking about.
Revelation 1:18; Revelation 3:7; Revelation 9:1; Revelation 20:1 - Jesus' "keys" undeniably represent authority. It's the same Jesus talking about the same keys, but because you see the word "keys" in a verse taken out of context, you have to equate Peter's keys with the hypocrisy of the scribes and Pharisees (Luke 11:51-54). That's Bible twisting at it's worst.

Matthew 16:19 I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven, and whatever you bind on earth shall be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven."

Whatever Peter binds or looses on earth is bound or loosed in heaven / when the Prime Minister to the King opens, no one shuts. This "binding and loosing" authority allows the keeper of the keys to establish "halakah," or rules of conduct for the members of the kingdom he serves.
"binds or looses on earth is bound or loosed in heaven" Earth comes before heaven, NOT THE OTHER WAY AROUND.
Lastly, can heaven bind an error?
Well, I can see that there is no reasoning with you. You continue to view the words as words only, and not spirit, believing that even though "the head of every man is Christ", that Peter is somehow an exception, while there are no exceptions. The very words that you use in part to make your case, you defy in the whole...wanting to believe a lie. Clearly Peter was not the subject of Jesus' referring to the building of His church, but rather His Father's spirit. So, I will leave you to it.

As for the twisting of the Bible...it is rather God himself who has twisted the word (at the tower of Babel), leaving the scriptures only discernible in spirit. But you play a lawyer's hand, and therefore receive a lawyer's wages. If you would be willing to look again at the actual subject of Jesus' words to Peter...perhaps we can continue. Otherwise there is no point in jousting.

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Pope does not speak in place of Christ, but on behalf of Christ, the same as an ambassador speaks on behalf of their country. There a few good sources that publicize the full context of his speeches, homilies, and general audiences.(they are not infallible) All secular media sources have an agenda and rarely print the truth. See what the Pope really says and decide for yourself if your view is in serious need of adjustment.
ZENIT – English – The World Seen From Rome
Papal Encyclicals Online
That does not make Peter or the Pope unique. That same would-be authority has been given to ALL who are born again of the spirit of God. The only distinction therefore, that was given to Peter, was that of "leadership"...which is not authority, but service.​

eldios

May 20, 2017
California
Faith
Country
United States

You're one of those who cannot understand the information called Christ.

epostle1

Sep 24, 2012
Essex
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Well, I can see that there is no reasoning with you. You continue to view the words as words only, and not spirit, believing that even though "the head of every man is Christ", that Peter is somehow an exception, while there are no exceptions. The very words that you use in part to make your case, you defy in the whole...wanting to believe a lie. Clearly Peter was not the subject of Jesus' referring to the building of His church, but rather His Father's spirit. So, I will leave you to it.

As for the twisting of the Bible...it is rather God himself who has twisted the word (at the tower of Babel), leaving the scriptures only discernible in spirit. But you play a lawyer's hand, and therefore receive a lawyer's wages. If you would be willing to look again at the actual subject of Jesus' words to Peter...perhaps we can continue. Otherwise there is no point in jousting.
I gave a long list of Protestant scholars that disagree with you. Jesus did not give the Keys of the Kingdom to His Fathers' Spirit, nor did He give the authority to bind and loose to His Father's Spirit. He gave them to Peter. It's plainly written in your Bible. You are being absurd.

You guys have this childish mindset that authority = dominating dictatorship. The theme of "service" is not forgotten because the priesthood was instituted with the Washing of the Feet, including and especially priests who rise to the papacy. But anti-Catholics can't think in those terms, they go by what they see on TV or those stupid you tube videos.

Last edited by a moderator:

epostle1

Sep 24, 2012
Essex
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
That does not make Peter or the Pope unique.
I never said it did. It makes their office unique.
That same would-be authority has been given to ALL who are born again of the spirit of God.
That's a recipe for chaos. Not all are prophets, bishops, teachers etc. as Paul lists an ecclesiastical hierarchy. The Church is modeled after the Davidic Kingdom, not Microsoft or AT&T as you may think. Your system is more like communism than a kingdom.
The only distinction therefore, that was given to Peter, was that of "leadership"...which is not authority, but service.
Agreed. One of the titles for the Pope is Servant of the Servants. You really don't get it.​

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I gave a long list of Protestant scholars that disagree with you. Jesus did not give the Keys of the Kingdom to His Fathers' Spirit, nor did He give the authority to bind and loose to His Father's Spirit. He gave them to Peter. It's plainly written in your Bible. You are being absurd.

You guys have this childish mindset that authority = dominating dictatorship. The theme of "service" is not forgotten because the priesthood was instituted with the Washing of the Feet, including and especially priests who rise to the papacy. But anti-Catholics can't think in those terms, they go by what they see on TV or those stupid you tube videos.
Your emotional outburst tells all. I did not say things as you have just describe it. The subject of Jesus' conversation with Peter was indeed a blessing for Peter, but it was not an election to an office. The subject was the means by which Christ would build His church, which he stated as being by the same mean that Peter received the knowledge of who Jesus was. But if this is just about the miss use of language...then, Yes, my Bible clearly shows the true subject (just as I have stated it).

Reactions: mjrhealth

Dcopymope

May 22, 2016
Motor City
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Romans 11:

Need I point out the obvious Gnostic leanings in this guys posts?

eldios

May 20, 2017
California
Faith
Country
United States
Need I point out the obvious Gnostic leanings in this guys posts?

The religious Catholics and the Vatican that rules over them called the writings of God's servants, "evil gnostic writings" to deter their followers from reading them. Writings like the gospel of Thomas could not be understood by religious heathens so they made sure they didn't get added to their New Testament.

epostle1

Sep 24, 2012
Essex
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Jesus doesn't "elect", He appoints.
The religious Catholics and the Vatican that rules over them called the writings of God's servants, "evil gnostic writings" to deter their followers from reading them. Writings like the gospel of Thomas could not be understood by religious heathens so they made sure they didn't get added to their New Testament.
This is the perpetual childish paranoid version of authority that anti-Catholics have about the Vatican. There is no "ruling over" except on matters of faith and morals and the clergy are not policemen. Protestant pastors have more control over the private lives of their congregation than any priest.
Anyone can access the gnostic writings on line, there is no censure-ship. They simply are deemed uninspired, not "evil writings". What's censured among anti-Catholic Bible cults is the Early Church Fathers writings. They give them no weight whatsoever even though they put the Bible together in the first place.
The Gospel of Thomas, the Epistle of Barnabus and a list of others were not put in to the NT canon because they failed numerous tests of inspiration, not because the "dominating dictator" didn't want them read.

JesusIsFaithful

Feb 24, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
A classic case of Protestant twisting what Catholics say and making false claims.

Did kepha claim that everything that Catholics teach was in Peter's epistles? NO he didn't.

Did kepha claim that everything that Catholics teach was from Peter's teaching? NO he didn't

So why do make such false claims?

Now you claim that not everything that Peter taught is in Catholic teaching.
So what did Peter teach that in not in Catholic teaching?

Because not everything RCC teaches is what Peter had taught.

To imply that Catholic teachings are "based" on what Peter had taught is what is false since Catholic teaching had gone beyond what Peter had taught.

To emphasize the important of all the catholic teachings that goes beyond what Peter has taught testifies to how poorly Peter was in being the "Rock" the Church was built upon as the RCC has supposedly claimed.

If Peter was really the Rock, God would have him written more than Paul had ever done, but He did not have Peter do that.

Paul nor the apostle John nor Luke, the writer of Acts, ever testified to Peter being the head nor the rock of the Church for all to follow by.

So it is the RCC making false claims here; Catholics that refuse the truths in His word love the RCC more than they do Jesus Christ. For all the things that the RCC teaches for coming to instead of the Son for life, for forgiveness, for help; the RCC, Mary, addressing the Holy Ghost to come when He is already in them as promised by faith in Jesus Christ, and all the things that comes inbetween Jesus and the believers are the antichrists.

Like it or not, the Pentecostal/Charismatics are the daughters of mystery Babylon spoken of in the Book of Revelation which is the Vatican that sits on seven hills if I recall place of description correctly.

In any event, the RCC cannot lay claim to Peter being the Rock when they have gone beyond what Peter had taught. The lack of Peter's instructions to the churches did not at any time la claim to himself being the rock nor the head of the church nor addressing how salvation can only be obtained by being of the church of Peter at Rome or emphasized any RCC teaching for obtaining salvation by for that shows great neglect to all believers during the early church of the Book of Acts and the rest of the N.T. where none of the writers ever emphasized such a thing.

Indeed, the apostle John in the Book of Revelation NEVER testified to a One True Church nor adhering to the teachings of Peter for salvation or the words of Peter as the final say on any matter.

Like a lobster in a slowly boiling pot, the christians had never noticed when they had become Catholics, dancing through created RCC doctrines slowly over time that was never taught to any of the N.T. churches, let alone in the Book of Acts nor at the day of Pentecost as "important" & "vital" & "necessary" for the obtaining of their salvation.

What a rip off of their joy of salvation and their faith in Jesus Christ. Fortunately, the Lord Jesus Christ has saved all Catholics for believing in the Lord Jesus Christ & that God raised Him from the dead even if the Catholic catechism plainly states they are not saved yet, but must persevere in charity or they are not saved.

"Even though incorporated into the Church, one who does not however persevere in charity is not saved." ~ Catholic Catechism PG 222 #837

How much plainer does it say that Catholics are not saved yet? Catholics that believe they are saved should dump the RCC and return to their first love, the Lord Jesus Christ and defend their faith in Him that Jesus Christ really is the Saviour for they are saved by believing in Him.

epostle1

Sep 24, 2012
Essex
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Your emotional outburst tells all. I did not say things as you have just describe it. The subject of Jesus' conversation with Peter was indeed a blessing for Peter, but it was not an election to an office. The subject was the means by which Christ would build His church, which he stated as being by the same mean that Peter received the knowledge of who Jesus was. But if this is just about the miss use of language...then, Yes, my Bible clearly shows the true subject (just as I have stated it).
For the Protestant Reformers to rationalize breaking away from what was universally acknowledged in their culture as the Christian Church, it was necessary for them to deny the Catholic Church’s authority. To maintain their positions, they were forced to portray it as a kind of "anti-Church" that was unjustly claiming the prerogatives of Christ’s true (but invisible) Church.

Their chief target was, of course, the pope. To justify breaking away from the successor of Peter, they had to undercut the Petrine office itself. They were forced to deny the plain reading of Matthew 16:18—that Jesus made Peter the rock on which he would build his Church.

More recent Protestants have been able to back away from the position that early Protestants felt forced to make and have been able to admit that Peter is, indeed, the rock. It remains to be seen whether they will start drawing the necessary inferences from this fact.

W.F. Albright (Protestant) and C.S. Mann
“[Peter] is not a name, but an appellation and a play on words. There is no evidence of Peter or Kephas as a name before Christian times….Peter as Rock will be the foundation of the future community. Jesus, not quoting the Old Testament, here uses Aramaic, not Hebrew, and so uses the only Aramaic word that would serve his purpose. In view of the background of v. 19…one must dismiss as confessional interpretation any attempt to see this rock as meaning the faith, or the messianic confession, of Peter. To deny the pre-eminent position of Peter among the disciples or in the early Christian community is a denial of the evidence…The interest in Peter’s failures and vacillations does not detract from this pre-eminence; rather, it emphasizes it. Had Peter been a lesser figure his behavior would have been of far less consequence.”
(The Anchor Bible; Matthew [Garden City, N.Y.: Doubleday & Co., 1971], 195)

Albert Barnes (Nineteenth-Century Presbyterian)
"The meaning of this phrase may be thus expressed: ‘Thou, in saying that I am the Son of God, hast called me by a name expressive of my true character. I, also, have given to thee a name expressive of your character. I have called you Peter, a rock. . . . I see that you are worthy of the name and will be a distinguished support of my religion"
[Barnes’ Notes on the New Testament, 170].

John Broadus (Nineteenth-Century Calvinistic Baptist)
"As Peter means rock, the natural interpretation is that ‘upon this rock’ means upon thee. . . . It is an even more far-fetched and harsh play upon words if we understand the rock to be Christ and a very feeble and almost unmeaning play upon words if the rock is Peter’s confession"
[Commentary on the Gospel of Matthew, 356].

Craig L. Blomberg (Baptist)
"The expression ‘this rock’ almost certainly refers to Peter, following immediately after his name, just as the words following ‘the Christ’ in verse 16 applied to Jesus. The play on words in the Greek between Peter’s name (Petros) and the word ‘rock’ (petra) makes sense only if Peter is the Rock and if Jesus is about to explain the significance of this identification"
[New American Commentary: Matthew, 22:252].

Donald A. Carson (Baptist)
“On the basis of the distinction between 'petros' . . . and 'petra' . . . , many have attempted to avoid identifying Peter as the rock on which Jesus builds his church. Peter is a mere 'stone,' it is alleged; but Jesus himself is the 'rock' . . . Others adopt some other distinction . . . Yet if it were not for Protestant reactions against extremes of Catholic interpretation, it is doubtful whether many would have taken 'rock' to be anything or anyone other than Peter . . . The Greek makes the distinction between 'petros' and 'petra' simply because it is trying to preserve the pun, and in Greek the feminine 'petra' could not very well serve as a masculine name . . . Had Matthew wanted to say no more than that Peter was a stone in contrast with Jesus the Rock, the more common word would have been 'lithos' ('stone' of almost any size). Then there would have been no pun - and that is just the point! . . . In this passage Jesus is the builder of the church and it would be a strange mixture of metaphors that also sees him within the same clauses as its foundation . . .” (Expositor's Bible Commentary,
[Grand Rapids, MI: Zondervan, 1984], vol. 8: Matthew, Mark, Luke (Matthew: D.A. Carson), 368)

J. Knox Chamblin (Contemporary Presbyterian)
"By the words ‘this rock’ Jesus means not himself, nor his teaching, nor God the Father, nor Peter’s confession, but Peter himself. The phrase is immediately preceded by a direct and emphatic reference to Peter. As Jesus identifies himself as the builder, the rock on which he builds is most naturally understood as someone (or something) other than Jesus himself"
["Matthew" in Evangelical Commentary on the Bible, 742].

R.T. France (Anglican)
“Jesus now sums up Peter's significance in a name, Peter . . . It describes not so much Peter's character (he did not prove to be 'rock-like' in terms of stability or reliability), but his function, as the foundation-stone of Jesus' church. The feminine word for 'rock', 'petra', is necessarily changed to the masculine 'petros' (stone) to give a man's name, but the word-play is unmistakable (and in Aramaic would be even more so, as the same form 'kepha' would occur in both places). It is only Protestant overreaction to the Catholic claim . . . that what is here said of Peter applies also to the later bishops of Rome, that has led some to claim that the 'rock' here is not Peter at all but the faith which he has just confessed. "The word-play, and the whole structure of the passage, demands that this verse is every bit as much Jesus’ declaration about Peter as verse 16 was Peter’s declaration about Jesus. Of course it is on the basis of Peter’s confession that Jesus declares his role as the Church’s foundation, but it is to Peter, not his confession, that the rock metaphor is applied. . . Peter is to be the foundation-stone of Jesus' new community . . . which will last forever.”
(Tyndale New Testament Commentaries, [Grand Rapids, MI: Eerdmans, 1985], vol. 1: Matthew, 254, 256)

William Hendriksen (Reformed Christian Church, Professor of New Testament Literature at Calvin Seminary)
“The meaning is, “You are Peter, that is Rock, and upon this rock, that is, on you, Peter I will build my church.” Our Lord, speaking Aramaic, probably said, “And I say to you, you are Kepha, and on this kepha I will build my church.” Jesus, then, is promising Peter that he is going to build his church on him! I accept this view.”
(New Testament Commentary: Exposition of the Gospel According to Matthew [Grand Rapids, MI: Baker, 1973], page 647JPK page 14]

Donald Hagner (Contemporary Evangelical)
"The frequent attempts that have been made, largely in the past, to deny [that Peter is the rock] in favor of the view that the confession itself is the rock . . . seem to be largely motivated by Protestant prejudice against a passage that is used by the Catholics to justify the papacy" (Word Biblical Commentary 33b:470).

David Hill (Presbyterian)
“It is on Peter himself, the confessor of his Messiahship, that Jesus will build the Church…Attempts to interpret the ‘rock’ as something other than Peter in person (e.g., his faith, the truth revealed to him) are due to Protestant bias, and introduce to the statement a degree of subtlety which is highly unlikely.” (The Gospel of Matthew, New Century Bible Commentary [Grand Rapids, MI: Eerdmans, 1972], 261)

Herman Ridderbos (Contemporary Dutch Reformed)
"It is well known that the Greek word petra translated ‘rock’ here is different from the proper name Peter. The slight difference between them has no special importance, however. The most likely explanation for the change from petros (‘Peter’) to petra is that petra was the normal word for ‘rock.’ . . . There is no good reason to think that Jesus switched from petros to petra to show that he was not speaking of the man Peter but of his confession as the foundation of the Church. The words ‘on this rock [petra]’ indeed refer to Peter"
[Bible Student’s Commentary: Matthew, 303].

I suppose all these Protestant scholars are having emotional outbursts as well.

epostle1

Sep 24, 2012
Essex
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Because not everything RCC teaches is what Peter had taught.

To imply that Catholic teachings are "based" on what Peter had taught is what is false since Catholic teaching had gone beyond what Peter had taught.

To emphasize the important of all the catholic teachings that goes beyond what Peter has taught testifies to how poorly Peter was in being the "Rock" the Church was built upon as the RCC has supposedly claimed.

If Peter was really the Rock, God would have him written more than Paul had ever done, but He did not have Peter do that.

Paul nor the apostle John nor Luke, the writer of Acts, ever testified to Peter being the head nor the rock of the Church for all to follow by.

So it is the RCC making false claims here; Catholics that refuse the truths in His word love the RCC more than they do Jesus Christ. For all the things that the RCC teaches for coming to instead of the Son for life, for forgiveness, for help; the RCC, Mary, addressing the Holy Ghost to come when He is already in them as promised by faith in Jesus Christ, and all the things that comes inbetween Jesus and the believers are the antichrists.

Like it or not, the Pentecostal/Charismatics are the daughters of mystery Babylon spoken of in the Book of Revelation which is the Vatican that sits on seven hills if I recall place of description correctly.

In any event, the RCC cannot lay claim to Peter being the Rock when they have gone beyond what Peter had taught. The lack of Peter's instructions to the churches did not at any time la claim to himself being the rock nor the head of the church nor addressing how salvation can only be obtained by being of the church of Peter at Rome or emphasized any RCC teaching for obtaining salvation by for that shows great neglect to all believers during the early church of the Book of Acts and the rest of the N.T. where none of the writers ever emphasized such a thing.

Indeed, the apostle John in the Book of Revelation NEVER testified to a One True Church nor adhering to the teachings of Peter for salvation or the words of Peter as the final say on any matter.

Like a lobster in a slowly boiling pot, the christians had never noticed when they had become Catholics, dancing through created RCC doctrines slowly over time that was never taught to any of the N.T. churches, let alone in the Book of Acts nor at the day of Pentecost as "important" & "vital" & "necessary" for the obtaining of their salvation.

What a rip off of their joy of salvation and their faith in Jesus Christ. Fortunately, the Lord Jesus Christ has saved all Catholics for believing in the Lord Jesus Christ & that God raised Him from the dead even if the Catholic catechism plainly states they are not saved yet, but must persevere in charity or they are not saved.

"Even though incorporated into the Church, one who does not however persevere in charity is not saved." ~ Catholic Catechism PG 222 #837

How much plainer does it say that Catholics are not saved yet? Catholics that believe they are saved should dump the RCC and return to their first love, the Lord Jesus Christ and defend their faith in Him that Jesus Christ really is the Saviour for they are saved by believing in Him.
This is nothing more than a temper tantrum.

epostle1

Sep 24, 2012
Essex
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Peter is the Rock on which the Church is Built

Mark 3:16; John 1:42 – Jesus renames Simon "Kepha" in Aramaic which literally means "rock." This was an extraordinary thing for Jesus to do, because "rock" was not even a name in Jesus' time. Jesus did this, not to give Simon a strange name, but to identify his new status among the apostles. When God changes a person's name, He changes their status.

Gen. 17:5; 32:28; 2 Kings 23:34; Acts 9:4; 13:9 - for example, in these verses, we see that God changes the following people's names and, as a result, they become special agents of God: Abram to Abraham; Jacob to Israel, Eliakim to Jehoiakim, Saul to Paul.

2 Sam. 22:2-3, 32, 47; 23:3; Psalm 18:2,31,46; 19:4; 28:1; 42:9; 62:2,6,7; 89:26; 94:22; 144:1-2 - in these verses, God is also called "rock." Hence, from these verses, non-Catholics often argue that God, and not Peter, is the rock that Jesus is referring to in Matt. 16:18. This argument not only ignores the plain meaning of the applicable texts, but also assumes words used in Scripture can only have one meaning. This, of course, is not true. For example:

1 Cor. 3:11 - Jesus is called the only foundation of the Church, and yet in Eph. 2:20, the apostles are called the foundation of the Church. Similarly, in 1 Peter 2:25, Jesus is called the Shepherd of the flock, but in Acts 20:28, the apostles are called the shepherds of the flock. These verses show that there are multiple metaphors for the Church, and that words used by the inspired writers of Scripture can have various meanings. Catholics agree that God is the rock of the Church, but this does not mean He cannot confer this distinction upon Peter as well, to facilitate the unity He desires for the Church.

Matt. 16:18 - Jesus said in Aramaic, you are "Kepha" and on this "Kepha" I will build my Church. In Aramaic, "kepha" means a massive stone, and "evna" means little pebble. Some non-Catholics argue that, because the Greek word for rock is "petra", that "Petros" actually means "a small rock", and therefore Jesus was attempting to diminish Peter right after blessing him by calling him a small rock. Not only is this nonsensical in the context of Jesus' blessing of Peter, Jesus was speaking Aramaic and used "Kepha," not "evna." Using Petros to translate Kepha was done simply to reflect the masculine noun of Peter. (Aramaic has no gender, Greek does, because “petra” would mean “Rockette”, a feminine noun, so “petros” is used.

Moreover, if the translator wanted to identify Peter as the "small rock," he would have used "lithos" which means a little pebble in Greek. Also, Petros and petra were synonyms at the time the Gospel was written, so any attempt to distinguish the two words is inconsequential. Thus, Jesus called Peter the massive rock, not the little pebble, on which He would build the Church. (You don’t even need Matt. 16:18 to prove Peter is the rock because Jesus renamed Simon “rock” in Mark 3:16 and John 1:42!).

Matt. 16:17 - to further demonstrate that Jesus was speaking Aramaic, Jesus says Simon "Bar-Jona." The use of "Bar-Jona" proves that Jesus was speaking Aramaic. In Aramaic, "Bar" means son, and "Jonah" means John or dove (Holy Spirit). See Matt. 27:46 and Mark 15:34 which give another example of Jesus speaking Aramaic as He utters in rabbinical fashion the first verse of Psalm 22 declaring that He is the Christ, the Messiah. This shows that Jesus was indeed speaking Aramaic, as the Jewish people did at that time.

Matt. 16:18 - also, in quoting "on this rock," the Scriptures use the Greek construction "tautee tee" which means on "this" rock; on "this same" rock; or on "this very" rock. "Tautee tee" is a demonstrative construction in Greek, pointing to Peter, the subject of the sentence (and not his confession of faith as some non-Catholics argue) as the very rock on which Jesus builds His Church. The demonstrative (“tautee”) generally refers to its closest antecedent (“Petros”). Also, there is no place in Scripture where “faith” is equated with “rock.”

Matt. 16:18-19 - in addition, to argue that Jesus first blesses Peter for having received divine revelation from the Father, then diminishes him by calling him a small pebble, and then builds him up again by giving him the keys to the kingdom of heaven is entirely illogical, and a gross manipulation of the text to avoid the truth of Peter's leadership in the Church. This is a three-fold blessing of Peter - you are blessed, you are the rock on which I will build my Church, and you will receive the keys to the kingdom of heaven (not you are blessed for receiving Revelation, but you are still an insignificant little pebble, and yet I am going to give you the keys to the kingdom).

Matt. 16:18-19 – to further rebut the Protestant argument that Jesus was speaking about Peter’s confession of faith (not Peter himself) based on the revelation he received, the verses are clear that Jesus, after acknowledging Peter’s receipt of divine revelation, turns the whole discourse to the person of Peter: Blessed are “you” Simon, for flesh and blood has not revealed this to “you,” and I tell “you,” “you” are Peter, and on this rock I will build my Church. I will give “you” the keys to the kingdom, and whatever “you” bind and loose on earth will be bound and loosed in heaven. Jesus’ whole discourse relates to the person of Peter, not his confession of faith.

Matt. 16:13 - also, from a geographical perspective, Jesus renames Simon to rock in Caesarea Philippi near a massive rock formation on which Herod built a temple to Caesar. Jesus chose this setting to further emphasize that Peter was indeed the rock on which the Church would be built.

Matt. 7:24 - Jesus, like the wise man, builds His house on the rock (Peter), not on grain of sand (Simon) so the house will not fall.

Luke 6:48 - the house (the Church) built upon the rock (Peter) cannot be shaken by floods (which represent the heresies, schisms, and scandals that the Church has faced over the last 2,000 years). Floods have occurred, but the Church still remains on its solid rock foundation.

Matt. 16:21 - it is also important to note that it was only after Jesus established Peter as leader of the Church that He began to speak of His death and departure. This is because Jesus had now appointed His representative on earth.

John 21:15 - Jesus asks Peter if he loves Jesus "more than these," referring to the other apostles. Jesus singles Peter out as the leader of the apostolic college.

John 21:15-17 - Jesus selects Peter to be the chief shepherd of the apostles when He says to Peter, "feed my lambs," "tend my sheep," "feed my sheep." Peter will shepherd the Church as Jesus’ representative.

Luke 22:31-32 - Jesus also prays that Peter's faith may not fail and charges Peter to be the one to strengthen the other apostles - "Simon, satan demanded to have you (plural, referring to all the apostles) to sift you (plural) like wheat, but I prayed for you (singular) that your (singular) faith may not fail, and when you (singular) have turned again, strengthen your brethren. (did the Father ignore Jesus' prayer???)

Acts 1,2,3,4,5,8,15 - no one questions Peter's authority to speak for the Church, declare anathemas, and resolve doctrinal debates.

JesusIsFaithful

Feb 24, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Peter is the Rock on which the Church is Built

Acts 1,2,3,4,5,8,15 - no one questions Peter's authority to speak for the Church, declare anathemas, and resolve doctrinal debates.

Paul did confront Peter for separating himself with the Jewish christian believers from the Gentile christian believers in Galatians 2nd chapter.

His authority was challenged whether you like it or not for Peter had to be reminded of the gospel.

Acts 10:43 To him give all the prophets witness, that through his name whosoever believeth in him shall receive remission of sins. 44 While Peter yet spake these words, the Holy Ghost fell on all them which heard the word.

That is the gospel that Peter had preached in the Book of Acts. Where is that gospel as preached in the Catholic Catechism? Nowhere in sight.

So the RCC needed to be reminded of the simplicity of the gospel in how you are saved just as Peter needed that reminder of what he had preached.

So Peter was never the rock that Jesus was talking about, but what Peter had said about Who Jesus Christ is ...is the rock the Church is built on.

Last edited:

eldios

May 20, 2017
California
Faith
Country
United States
Jesus doesn't "elect", He appoints.

This is the perpetual childish paranoid version of authority that anti-Catholics have about the Vatican. There is no "ruling over" except on matters of faith and morals and the clergy are not policemen. Protestant pastors have more control over the private lives of their congregation than any priest.
Anyone can access the gnostic writings on line, there is no censure-ship. They simply are deemed uninspired, not "evil writings". What's censured among anti-Catholic Bible cults is the Early Church Fathers writings. They give them no weight whatsoever even though they put the Bible together in the first place.
The Gospel of Thomas, the Epistle of Barnabus and a list of others were not put in to the NT canon because they failed numerous tests of inspiration, not because the "dominating dictator" didn't want them read.

You don't know the history of the religious heathens who rejected the true gospel of God that us servants preach to God's chosen believers. You will listen to their lies and believe them to be true but reject anything that us servants of God speak or write to you.