Planning on getting a new Bible today. Is the KJV necessary?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thanks @Hidden In Him stay safe out there and will pray tire gets fixed.

I got new reading glasses last night so I can read small things again, but with the thick glasses, brassy hair, when the bangs are down, I look like Thelma from Scooby Doo.

Jinkies.

LoL.

1545dcccc58708ca8684dfbbfbca584f.jpg

DuckieLady

Jan 8, 2021
Midwest-ish
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thanks guys for the advice - there wasn't much of a selection there but I got a KJV.

Air-Brush-20210512194536.jpg

Air-Brush-20210512194421.jpg

And it came with presents in the middle! They can stay. Card is a verse: proverbs 3:5-6

i got to witness a testimony!

This is a cool one.

Older gentleman near me. He said, "Want to know how our Holy Father works?"

I was like ??

He said he was thinking about getting this book on prayer for his adult children. Came to the store and found four copies of that same book sitting stacked up at the top shelf in Goodwill. He didnt plan it but he went on rejoicing in the father right there in the aisle. Rejoiced with him.

So awesome- the Lord blessed him and I got to see it!

DuckieLady

Jan 8, 2021
Midwest-ish
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I want to get a children's bible so I can overcome not reading the bible from lack of motivation
Are you artsy? They have the illustrated drawing ones too! I have read the childrens ones to my kids and if you prefer less wordy versions those are good.

I think @Mayflower has also mentioned the MSG Bible which is easier for some people, too. Sort of relaxing reading.

Reactions: Mayflower

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have 5 Bibles!....Chronological, Hebrew/Greek, KJV with cross references, KJV Study with Strong's Concordance AND The Woman"s Study Bible....they all come in handy.

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2018
Bluffton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I want to get a children's bible so I can overcome not reading the bible from lack of motivation. I want to get a bible that shines so my eyes will want to read it, lol

I love all kinds of the children's Bibles. I read them to my kids quite often.

Reactions: DuckieLady

thelord's_pearl

May 1, 2021
O`nowhere you have to know
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Are you artsy? They have the illustrated drawing ones too! I have read the childrens ones to my kids and if you prefer less wordy versions those are good.

I think @Mayflower has also mentioned the MSG Bible which is easier for some people, too. Sort of relaxing reading.
I don't mind drawings but it's mostly when the pages are sort of shining I'd like to read it more, lol
or when they break it down so I can understand it better

Amazed@grace

Apr 1, 2021
futurum, ubi non sunt atheus troglodytae
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thanks guys for the advice - there wasn't much of a selection there but I got a KJV.

Air-Brush-20210512194536.jpg

Air-Brush-20210512194421.jpg

And it came with presents in the middle! They can stay. Card is a verse: proverbs 3:5-6

i got to witness a testimony!

This is a cool one.

Older gentleman near me. He said, "Want to know how our Holy Father works?"

I was like ??

He said he was thinking about getting this book on prayer for his adult children. Came to the store and found four copies of that same book sitting stacked up at the top shelf in Goodwill. He didnt plan it but he went on rejoicing in the father right there in the aisle. Rejoiced with him.

So awesome- the Lord blessed him and I got to see it!
You were blessed, as was he. :)
I like KJV. especially red letter edition.
One's with picture plates are great too.

I'm glad you found a Bible.
For others who may be bible shopping .
The 5 Most Accurate Bible Translations | Faith Founded on Fact

Berserk

Apr 13, 2019
Colville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If you don't know Greek and Hebrew, get 2 Bibles, one that is the best paraphrase (the New Living Translation) and the other that is faithful to the original languages (the NIV, 2011 edition). The New Living Translation is a revised version of the older Living Bible that is more faithful to nuances of the original languages. More importantly, avoid the KJV and NKJV like the plague! The Hebrew and Greek manuscripts on which they are based are the latest and most corrupted by errors! The Message is very readable but a very inaccurate paraphrase. My first Bible was a Thompson Chain reference. I bought it as a young boy from paper route money and promptly read it through. Great cross-references, but unfortunately KJV.

When I led Bible studies, I encouraged members to bring a variety of translations. Then I would have them read their own translations a verse at a time and we would vote on which was the most appealing. The New Living Translation would win hands down! Then I would give a very literal and nuanced translation from the original languages and ask them which translation seemed to best capture these nuances. Then we would discuss practical aopplication and practical relevance.

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm planning on getting a new Bible today and normally I would get the NIV because it is easier for me to read.

To me the NIV is translated as clear as the KJV, besides a few omitted pieces. And if I want to explain something to someone I want that direction to be clear and make sense to other people. I do cross-reference with an app.

But...
"The way of a fool is right in his own eyes,
But a wise man is he who listens to counsel."

So I'm open to other insight before I go out.

A more modern english version is definitely easier to understand maam, the only thing I dislike about the NIV is their removing God's name, which if that was the only source one had would make it impossible to obey Rom 10:13. Of course Jehovah's name is quite well known today as verse 14 and 15 are being fulfilled as well.

Truth can be found in the KJV, just more difficult to understand. Who the heck knows what Jacob sod pottage means without researching it, that is the advantage of the NIV

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@FluffyYellowDuck

OH! Matthew brings up an excellent point! The KJVs and NKJVs often have great topical referencing, where you can see cross-references in the side columns that will show you other scriptures on the same subject at a glance. VERY important if you plan on studying. That's why I use my KJV so much. I don't know if it is a Thompson Chain reference, but it has a ton of cross-referencing, and it's invaluable!
The Thompson Chain Reference has chains on topics which run throughout the Bible on literally hundreds of subjects. There are few major subjects it does not cover.

It also contains an more extensive concordance within the same book than most Bibles.

It has an extensive dictionary to help with word meanings as used in the KJV.

It has a comprehensive index to locate subjects within the scriptures themselves as well as in the other resources in the book.

It has analyses of each book of the Bible.

It has outline studies of most important characters in the Bible.

It has an extensive archaeological discoveries section.

It has many pictorial maps in addition the usual regional maps contained in many Bibles.

I no longer use mine for regularly reading but it is great resource on many subjects. My wife bought mine for me in 1990. I had one earlier than that which I gave to someone else.

Reactions: Hidden In Him

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Thompson Chain Reference has chains on topics which run throughout the Bible on literally hundreds of subjects. There are few major subjects it does not cover.

It also contains an more extensive concordance within the same book than most Bibles.

It has an extensive dictionary to help with word meanings as used in the KJV.

It has a comprehensive index to locate subjects within the scriptures themselves as well as in the other resources in the book.

It has analyses of each book of the Bible.

It has outline studies of most important characters in the Bible.

It has an extensive archaeological discoveries section.

It has many pictorial maps in addition the usual regional maps contained in many Bibles.

I no longer use mine for regularly reading but it is great resource on many subjects. My wife bought mine for me in 1990. I had one earlier than that which I gave to someone else.

The one I use to this day - the one with the torn page that needs tape now - is a Crusade KJV Topical Reference Edition. It was given to me by a Pastor at the Baptist Student Union where I stayed for a time in college, and it still has his name engraved on the bottom, "Stewart Thibault."

I will see him again in Heaven some day I believe, and let him know that the Bible he gave me 35 years ago is something I have used my entire life, and received many blessings from, thanks to his generosity. :)

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I never heard of the Thompson one but I am heading over to Goodwill. I'll peek around and I'll let you know if I see one there! If I see a Geneva, I'm getting it.

Thank you :)
My NIV was from a charily shop. Brand new in its box, leather type cover, gold edging and red letter. For £2 instead of £20 new. Nicest bible I ever bought. I hope you find one. I also like the NLT New Living Translation but go with a modern translation as it is easier to understand.

Reactions: Mayflower

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Seems to be a popular one! I haven't really read much but I am picking one up for a friend! If they have it.

Oh my goodness
Lol my budget is like $2-5, used, and at Goodwill..LOL I'm not a millionaire :p:p
I got one for £2. God knows you need one so be sure to ask him before you go looking. :)

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I want to get a children's bible so I can overcome not reading the bible from lack of motivation. I want to get a bible that shines so my eyes will want to read it, lol
What about a Good news Translation. That was my first ever bible when I got saved. It is easy to understand and mine had pictures.

Reactions: thelord's_pearl