Planning on getting a new Bible today. Is the KJV necessary?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

DuckieLady

Jan 8, 2021
Midwest-ish
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm planning on getting a new Bible today and normally I would get the NIV because it is easier for me to read.

To me the NIV is translated as clear as the KJV, besides a few omitted pieces. And if I want to explain something to someone I want that direction to be clear and make sense to other people. I do cross-reference with an app.

But...
"The way of a fool is right in his own eyes,
But a wise man is he who listens to counsel."

So I'm open to other insight before I go out.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If a thrift store has a Thompson Chain Reference Bible (Zondervan Information including the creator of the Thompson Chain; and what the bible has with in the context - Thompson Chain-Reference Bible) that would be a valuable investment. Other thoughts on biblical texts: New Living Translation ( 6th Grade level ) - New King James Version - King James Version ~ Though it would be so much more of value to find a Thompson Chain one, at a thrift shop, than buying same old bible again. :) Be safe on you travels, and may you and everyone on this forum take care! May God bless you and your family, and may those who are sick, or heart broken may they find peace, and contentment in the Lord Jesus Christ and having a relationship with God.

Last edited:

DuckieLady

Jan 8, 2021
Midwest-ish
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If a thrift store has a Thompson Chain Reference Bible that would be a valuable investment. Other thoughts on biblical texts: New Living Translation ( 6th Grade level ) - New King James Version - King James Version ~ Though it would be so much more of value to find a Thompson Chain one, at a thrift shop, than buying same old bible again. :) Be safe on you travels, and may you and everyone on this forum take care! May God bless you and your family, and may those who are sick, or heart broken may they find peace, and contentment in the Lord Jesus Christ and having a relationship with God.
I never heard of the Thompson one but I am heading over to Goodwill. I'll peek around and I'll let you know if I see one there! If I see a Geneva, I'm getting it.

Thank you :)

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Linked a reference link from Zondervan; where you can purchase bibles; it also explains what the bible has with-in it, and information about the creator :
Dr. Frank Charles Thompson and how He started out ; and made them.

You have fun and take care, you are welcome.

Reactions: DuckieLady

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Hidden In Him Do you have a suggestion? Leaving in about an hour and a half... Not sure what I'm doing

If you get a KJV, get an NKJV (New King James Version). It takes out the "thees" and "thous" so it reads easier.

Both are decent Bibles (NIV and NKJV) in my opinion. Each has their weaknesses, but both are good as study tools. :) I use both.

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If a thrift store has a Thompson Chain Reference Bible (Zondervan Information including the creator of the Thompson Chain; and what the bible has with in the context - Thompson Chain-Reference Bible) that would be a valuable investment. Other thoughts on biblical texts: New Living Translation ( 6th Grade level ) - New King James Version - King James Version ~ Though it would be so much more of value to find a Thompson Chain one, at a thrift shop, than buying same old bible again. :) Be safe on you travels, and may you and everyone on this forum take care! May God bless you and your family, and may those who are sick, or heart broken may they find peace, and contentment in the Lord Jesus Christ and having a relationship with God.

@FluffyYellowDuck

OH! Matthew brings up an excellent point! The KJVs and NKJVs often have great topical referencing, where you can see cross-references in the side columns that will show you other scriptures on the same subject at a glance. VERY important if you plan on studying. That's why I use my KJV so much. I don't know if it is a Thompson Chain reference, but it has a ton of cross-referencing, and it's invaluable!

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It will look like this, on the side columns. This is an NIV, so the NIVs can have them too:

niv_example.gif

Reactions: DuckieLady

DuckieLady

Jan 8, 2021
Midwest-ish
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@FluffyYellowDuck

OH! Matthew brings up an excellent point! The KJVs and NKJVs often have great topical referencing, where you can see cross-references in the side columns that will show you other scriptures on the same subject at a glance. VERY important if you plan on studying. That's why I use my KJV so much. I don't know if it is a Thompson Chain reference, but it has a ton of cross-referencing, and it's invaluable!
Maybe I'll look around for a KJV... If a Geneva isn't present. (that's my ultimate goal) It might be high time I just get over it and learn to read the KJV. lol! I have an NIV, but a couple pages tore (I have kids and lack of space)

I was thinking the John McArthur reference Bible might be a good one, too, if it's there.

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Maybe I'll look around for a KJV... If a Geneva isn't present. (that's my ultimate goal) It might be high time I just get over it and learn to read the KJV. lol! I have an NIV, but a couple pages tore (I have kids and lack of space)

My KJV has one page that's torn almost in half now, LoL.

I need to find some tape, cut it's holding on for dear life. :)

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@FluffyYellowDuck

Yeah, any bible is good to use and read. Any bible you are going to use and read is great use it. Read, learn, question, and ponder about it right Hidden in Him. :)

The Thompson Chain Bible was only made known to me a few months back, and finally decided to buy one and it is a 1997 Edition bought off of Ebay.

It has 2407 pages. From Genesis to Revelation is - (Page 1 to 1619)

(Pages 1628 to - 2407)
Alphabetical Index
Numerical Index of Chain Topics (8,000 topics to look up and learn about using the bible)
Outline Studies of the Bible
Bible Character Studies
Bible Harmonies and Illustrated Studies
Archaeological Supplement
Hebrew Calendar
Bible Maps

DuckieLady

Jan 8, 2021
Midwest-ish
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
NASB1995 is my favorite.

Seems to be a popular one! I haven't really read much but I am picking one up for a friend! If they have it.

If you want my advice, try to find something that looks close to Post #10. That's a KJV, and it looks excellent.

Probably run you $80 to $100 though. :eek:
Oh my goodness
Lol my budget is like $2-5, used, and at Goodwill..LOL I'm not a millionaire :p:p

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Oh my goodness
Lol my budget is like $2-5, used, and at Goodwill..LOL I'm not a millionaire :p:p

Well pray then, LoL.

I'll pray for you too. :) I gotta head out the door to fix a flat for my wife's sister, cuz she's broke down half way across town. But I'll pray for you on the way there. Just ask the Lord. He will provide. :)