Planning on getting a new Bible today. Is the KJV necessary?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
For many years I leaped and danced and shouted for the glory of God as David did. This old physical body is unable to do much of the physical any more but the Spirit in me remains willing because it is the Spirit of God which never grows weary or feeble.

This was a pretty snappy version. :) If you wanna see a spicy Latino version, this was my favorite right here. I saw these guys Live at a big Youth Convention about 15 years ago, and talk about a performance. Salvador was really good live. They could do this sort of thing all night.

Reactions: amadeus

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This was a pretty snappy version. :) If you wanna see a spicy Latino version, this was my favorite right here. I saw these guys Live at a big Youth Convention about 15 years ago, and talk about a performance. Salvador was really good live. They could do this sort of thing all night.

Now I'm in the mood, LoL.

Probably gonna have to post this stuff in the Hispanic Worship thread eventually, but no time like the present.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Actually I favor a more Jewish sound than either of our posted versions. I learned the song in a church setting back in the 1970's from a visiting Messianic Jew. I know it is available on the Internet but for this thread I did a quick search and did not find anything else.

When we sang that song back then I was surely in my 'dancing before the Lord' times, when this old flesh was not so old. I have a copy of the music to it which I used to play on the piano and sing... in the Hebrew. My I wish there were places around where I live where anyone did anything similar today. There may be but I don't know one.

Thank God for David and the example he provided to us!

DPMartin

Jan 30, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm planning on getting a new Bible today and normally I would get the NIV because it is easier for me to read.

To me the NIV is translated as clear as the KJV, besides a few omitted pieces. And if I want to explain something to someone I want that direction to be clear and make sense to other people. I do cross-reference with an app.

But...
"The way of a fool is right in his own eyes,
But a wise man is he who listens to counsel."

So I'm open to other insight before I go out.

KJV is the standard in the English translation and has stood over 400 years of public scrutiny. its a tried and true translation. most other translations are based on it. the kings English is different but worth getting used to. also the English language is the language of the British not Americans that use it. find access to an exhaustive OED dictionary that gives you meaning of the words in use during the time of the translation and you will have a consistent and reliable understanding of the text that won't change.

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Probably run you $80 to $100 though.

Oh my goodness
Lol my budget is like $2-5, used, and at Goodwill.

If that is your budget, obsolete KJV is all your likely to find.

I’m so glad I waited to get the CEV. It came out in 1995 and is a thought translation targeted for 8th grade reading level. Of course, it is too new to be discounted.

Reactions: DuckieLady

GracePeace

May 4, 2021
Southwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm planning on getting a new Bible today and normally I would get the NIV because it is easier for me to read.

To me the NIV is translated as clear as the KJV, besides a few omitted pieces. And if I want to explain something to someone I want that direction to be clear and make sense to other people. I do cross-reference with an app.

But...
"The way of a fool is right in his own eyes,
But a wise man is he who listens to counsel."

So I'm open to other insight before I go out.
I'd listen to a debate/presentation on the subject to inform myself.

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2018
Bluffton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If that is your budget, obsolete KJV is all your likely to find.

I’m so glad I waited to get the CEV. It came out in 1995 and is a thought translation targeted for 8th grade reading level. Of course, it is too new to be discounted.

I understand your dislike of KJV, but please do not call any translation of God's Word obsolete. I came to Christ in a KJV only church.

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2018
Bluffton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
2:1 Soþlice on þam dagum wæs geworden gebod fram þam casere augusto. þæt eall ymbehwyrft wære tomearcod; Forsoþe it is don, in þo daȝis a maundement wente out fro cesar august, þat al þe world shulde ben discriued, And it came to passe in those dayes, that there went out a decree from Caesar Augustus, that all the world should be taxed.
2:2 þeos tomearcodnes wæs æryst geworden fram þam deman syrige cirino. þis firste discriuyng was maad of ciryne iustise of cirie (And this taxing was first made when Cyrenius was gouernor of Syria)
2:3 and ealle hig eodon. and syndrie ferdon on hyra ceastre; & alle wenten þat þei shulden make professioun, eche bi hymself in to his cyte And all went to bee taxed, euery one into his owne citie.
2:4 þa ferde iosep fram galilea of þære ceastre nazareþ: on iudeisce ceastre dauides. seo is genemned beþleem soþli & Joseph steȝede vp fro galilee of þe cite of naȝareþ, in to Jude, in to a cite of dauid þat ys clepid beþlem, And Ioseph also went vp from Galilee, out of the citie of Nazareth, into Iudaea, vnto the citie of Dauid, which is called Bethlehem
2:5 forþam þe he wæs of dauides huse. and hirede þæt he ferde mid marian þe him beweddod wæs. and wæs geeacnod; for þat he was of þe hous and meyne of dauid, þat he shulde knoulechen wiþ marie spousid to hym wyf, wiþ childe (because he was of the house and linage of Dauid,) To be taxed with Mary his espoused wife, being great with child.
2:6 Soðlice wæs geworden þa hi þar wæron. hire dagas wæron gefyllede þæt heo cende. soþli it is do whan þei weren þere, þe daȝes ben fulfild þat she shulde bern child And so it was, that while they were there, the dayes were accomplished that she should be deliuered.
2:7 and heo cende hyre frumcennedan sunu. and hine mid cildclaþum bewand. and hine on binne alede. forþam þe hig næfdon rum on cumena huse; & she childide hir first goten sone, & wlappede hym in cloþis & putte hym in a cracche, for þer was not place to hym in þe comun stable And she brought foorth her first borne son, and wrapped him in swaddling clothes, and laid him in a manger, because there was no roome for them in the Inne.
2:8 and hyrdas wæron on þam ylcan rice waciende: and nihtwæccan healdende of er heora heorda & shepherdis weren in þe same kuntre wakende & kepende þe wacchis of þe niȝt on her floc And there were in the same countrey shepheards abiding in the field, keeping watch ouer their flocke by night.
2:9 þa stod drihtnes engel wiþ hig and godes beorhtnes him ymbelscean: and hi him mycelum ege adredon. & lo þe aungil of þe lord stod biside hem, & clernesse of god shoen abouten hem, and þei dredden wiþ gret dreed And loe, the Angel of the Lord came vpon them, and the glory of the Lord shone round about them, and they were sore afraid.
2:10 and se engel him to cwæð; Nelle ge eow adrædan. soþlice nu ic eow bodie mycelne gefean. se bið eallum folce. & þe aungil seide to hem, nyle ȝee dreeden, lo soþli I euangelise to ȝou a gret ioȝe þat shall be to alle puple- And the Angel said vnto them, Feare not: For behold, I bring you good tidings of great ioy, which shall be to all people.
2:11 forþam todæg eow ys hælend acenned. se is drihten crist on dauides ceastre; for a saueour is born to day to vs, þat is crist a lord in þe cite of dauid For vnto you is borne this day, in the citie of Dauid, a Sauiour, which is Christ the Lord.
2:12 And þis tacen eow byð; Ge gemetað an cild hreglum bewunden. and on binne aled; & þis a tocne to ȝou, ȝee shul finden a ȝung childd wlappid wiþ cloþis, & put in a cracche And this shall be a signe vnto you; yee shall find the babe wrapped in swaddling clothes lying in a manger.
2:13 And þa wæs færinga geworden mid þam engle mycelnes heofonlices werydes god heriendra. and þus cweþendra; & sodeinli þer is mad wiþ þe aungil, a multitude of heueneli kniȝþed, heriende god & seyinge- And suddenly there was with the Angel a multitude of the heauenly hoste praising God, and saying,
2:14 Gode sy wuldor on heahnesse and on eorðan sybb mannum godes willan; glorie in þe heȝest þingis to god, & in erþe pes to men of good wil Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace, good wil towards men.
2:15 and hit wæs geworden þa ða englas to heofene ferdon. þa hyrdas him betwynan spræcon and cwædon; Utun faran to beþleem. and geseon þæt word þe geworden is. þæt drihten us ætywde; & it is don þat whan aungelis paseden awey fro hem in to heuene, þe shepherdis speeken toqidere seiende, go wee ouer to beþlem & see wee þis wrd þat is maad, þe whiche þe lord made, & shewede to vs And it came to passe, as the Angels were gone away from them into heauen, the shepheards said one to another, Let vs now goe euen vnto Bethlehem, and see this thing which is come to passe, which the Lord hath made knowen vnto vs.
2:16 and hig efstende comon: and gemetton marian and iosep and þæt cild on binne aled; and þei heȝende camen, & founden marie & Joseph, & a ȝung child put in a cracche And they came with haste, and found Mary and Ioseph, and the babe lying in a manger.
2:17 þa hi þæt gesawon þa oncneowon hig be þam worde þe him gesæd wæs be þam cilde; soþli þey seende knewen of þe wrd, þat was seid to þem of þis child And when they had seene it, they made knowen abroad the saying, which was told them, concerning this child.
2:18 And ealle þa ðe gehyrdon wundredon be þam þe him þa hyrdas sædon; & alle men þat hadden herdd, wondreden, & of þese þingis þat weren seid to hem of þe shepherdis And all they that heard it, wondered at those things, which were tolde them by the shepheards.
2:19 Maria geheold ealle þas word on hyre heortan smeagende; forsoþe marie kepte alle þese wrdis, berende togidere in hir herte But Mary kept all these things, and pondered them in her heart.
The Old and Middle English texts above are taken from The Gothic and Anglo-Saxon Gospels in Parallel Columns with the Versions of Wycliffe and Tyndale; Arranged, with preface and notes, b

Amigo be all talking in tongues over here. Who the interpreter? :p (NM I see it)

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Amigo be all talking in tongues over here. Who the interpreter? :p (NM I see it)

Hey, you should have seen the way he posted even in English a few years ago. It was like reading chicken scratch. :eek:

He's cleaned it up considerably since then, but you can still see vestiges of the old "Friend of the Lord" who you once needed an interpreter for just to read his everyday posts, LoL.

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2018
Bluffton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hey, you should have seen the way he posted even in English a few years ago. It was like reading chicken scratch. :eek:

He's cleaned it up considerably since then, but you can still see vestiges of the old "Friend of the Lord" who you once needed an interpreter for just to read his everyday posts, LoL.

I have been on here awhile, but don't remember. :D

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I understand your dislike of KJV,

I don't think you do.

but please do not call any translation of God's Word obsolete. I came to Christ in a KJV only church.

Do you think you would have come to Christ if that church used another translation or did you come to Christ only because of the KJV translation?

To say I dislike the KJV is missing the mark a bit. I simply do not speak Middle English and do not and will not read any Middle English books. Yet, somehow I've managed to survive in the 21st century. So, it is the KJVism KJV-only folks that I dislike for they have made an idol of a translation of God's Word. Their stubborn stand on KJVism, KJV only kept me from reading the Bible for decades. So repulsed was I and remain.

I had a good friend who was like this. Enthralled at the obsolete language, blind to the obstacle it presented to folks like me. It is literally unreadable to me (not in total but parts). Why burden modern language users to translate from Middle English? Whithersoever thou goest?!

And then many KJVism folks make the ridiculous claim that modern texts are based on it.
They have obviously never even read the translation process explained in the introduction of modern translation's. There is an arrogance to suppose that after half a millennia, we cannot improve our understanding of ancient sources, acquire better original manuscripts, etc. Most important of all, is not the FROM of the translation but the TO of the translation. People today do not speak the way the sentences are written in KJV. It is not merely the words but the sentence structure itself. I feel like I am reading the writing of Yoda, "Right, I hope you are" or "need that, you do not."

The KJV is obsolete. It is a matter of fact. The only reason to refer to obsolete material is for some sentimental reason, as you shared. I have sentiments too about IDOLATRY such as this. 'Don't come to Christ. Come to KJVism!' No Thanks! I don't think you understand my dislike of KJV at all.

Have not I commanded thee? Be strong and of a good courage; be not afraid, neither be thou dismayed: for the LORD thy God is with thee whithersoever thou goest.
Joshua 1:9 (KJV)

I’ve commanded you to be strong and brave. Don’t ever be afraid or discouraged! I am the LORD your God, and I will be there to help you wherever you go.
Joshua 1:9 (CEV)

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Actually I favor a more Jewish sound than either of our posted versions. I learned the song in a church setting back in the 1970's from a visiting Messianic Jew. I know it is available on the Internet but for this thread I did a quick search and did not find anything else.

When we sang that song back then I was surely in my 'dancing before the Lord' times, when this old flesh was not so old. I have a copy of the music to it which I used to play on the piano and sing... in the Hebrew. My I wish there were places around where I live where anyone did anything similar today. There may be but I don't know one.

Thank God for David and the example he provided to us!
I like the 'Jewish' version too John, getting faster and faster. And I also like the 'Jewish' version Psalm 23 and also Jubilate everybody.

Reactions: amadeus

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Do you think you would have come to Christ if that church used another translation or did you come to Christ only because of the KJV translation?

To say I dislike the KJV is missing the mark a bit. I simply do not speak Middle English and do not and will not read any Middle English books. Yet, somehow I've managed to survive in the 21st century. So, it is the KJVism KJV-only folks that I dislike for they have made an idol of a translation of God's Word. Their stubborn stand on KJVism, KJV only kept me from reading the Bible for decades. So repulsed was I and remain.
I'm with you there. My first bible as a child was KJV but I never read it as I couldn't understand it. My first church as a Christian used the GNT so that's what I started with but now prefer NIV or NLT but I would never cast aspersions on anybody's choice.

Reactions: Mayflower

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm with you there. My first bible as a child was KJV but I never read it as I couldn't understand it. My first church as a Christian used the GNT so that's what I started with but now prefer NIV or NLT

I also like the NLT. The VOICE translation came out in 2012 and is written in manuscript format, making it explicit who is talking. The Ephesians 4:29 VOICE translation convicts me more than any other verse in the entire Bible. You'll see me post this translation the most. These, along with CEV, are my favorite translations.

When I began my research into Bible translations, the NIV was the odds on favorite. As I did more research, I found errors, vagueness and I liked it less and less compared to the other options.

but I would never cast aspersions on anybody's choice.

LOL I have no problem with people choosing to read any translation. KJVism is not merely about someone's choice; they condemn any other choice. I've literally read on this forum saints suppose any other English translation is the work of the devil! Talk about casting aspersions?! What's that about? IDOLATRY.

Reactions: Pearl

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I like the 'Jewish' version too John, getting faster and faster. And I also like the 'Jewish' version Psalm 23 and also Jubilate everybody.

Indeed with regard to music for God, many of the adjustments to old songs and versions may not be wrong, but they are not for me. God could change me on this of course, but on this point I would be very surprised if He did...

Give God the glory!

Reactions: Pearl and Mayflower