Planning on getting a new Bible today. Is the KJV necessary?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2018
Bluffton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don't think you do.

Do you think you would have come to Christ if that church used another translation or did you come to Christ only because of the KJV translation?

To say I dislike the KJV is missing the mark a bit. I simply do not speak Middle English and do not and will not read any Middle English books. Yet, somehow I've managed to survive in the 21st century. So, it is the KJVism KJV-only folks that I dislike for they have made an idol of a translation of God's Word. Their stubborn stand on KJVism, KJV only kept me from reading the Bible for decades. So repulsed was I and remain.

I had a good friend who was like this. Enthralled at the obsolete language, blind to the obstacle it presented to folks like me. It is literally unreadable to me (not in total but parts). Why burden modern language users to translate from Middle English? Whithersoever thou goest?!

And then many KJVism folks make the ridiculous claim that modern texts are based on it.
They have obviously never even read the translation process explained in the introduction of modern translation's. There is an arrogance to suppose that after half a millennia, we cannot improve our understanding of ancient sources, acquire better original manuscripts, etc. Most important of all, is not the FROM of the translation but the TO of the translation. People today do not speak the way the sentences are written in KJV. It is not merely the words but the sentence structure itself. I feel like I am reading the writing of Yoda, "Right, I hope you are" or "need that, you do not."

The KJV is obsolete. It is a matter of fact. The only reason to refer to obsolete material is for some sentimental reason, as you shared. I have sentiments too about IDOLATRY such as this. 'Don't come to Christ. Come to KJVism!' No Thanks! I don't think you understand my dislike of KJV at all.

Have not I commanded thee? Be strong and of a good courage; be not afraid, neither be thou dismayed: for the LORD thy God is with thee whithersoever thou goest.
Joshua 1:9 (KJV)

I’ve commanded you to be strong and brave. Don’t ever be afraid or discouraged! I am the LORD your God, and I will be there to help you wherever you go.
Joshua 1:9 (CEV)

Well I am saying the translation itself is not obsolete, because it is still the Word of God. That is what the wording sounded like to me. Yes, I could have been saved using another translation, but at fifteen, KJV was the only version I knew besides the children's Bible, and the Truth from God's Word set me free. Not the translation. I just best be careful naming anything made for God's kingdom obsolete. Without KJV, there may well have not even been other translations. Now definitely opening the heart up to exploring different translations is important I believe, but to say KJV is obsolete, I would have to disagree. How you explained it is different then how I took it.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
LOL I have no problem with people choosing to read any translation. KJVism is not merely about someone's choice; they condemn any other choice. I've literally read on this forum saints suppose any other English translation is the work of the devil! Talk about casting aspersions?! What's that about? IDOLATRY.
I got banned from a Christian forum because I disagreed with the owner that only the KJV was valid.

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2018
Bluffton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I got banned from a Christian forum because I disagreed with the owner that only the KJV was valid.

Wow. That is sad too. I think any translation of God's Word should be held in high regards. I don't care if it is Word for Word or Thought for Thought. As long as it isn't adding revelation or taking away from the message, it should be taken as God's Word. I do not speak Greek or Hebrew and we do the best we can with what we have. It is relationship that is important. Not religion. Devil knows the Bible better then we do. No relationship there.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Wow. That is sad too. I think any translation of God's Word should be held in high regards. I don't care if it is Word for Word or Thought for Thought. As long as it isn't adding revelation or taking away from the message, it should be taken as God's Word. I do not speak Greek or Hebrew and we do the best we can with what we have. It is relationship that is important. Not religion. Devil knows the Bible better then we do. No relationship there.
I agree, because not only is the bible translated into English, it's in Spanish and Portuguese and Italian, French German and hundreds of other languages none of which can be translated word for word exactly. But it's the Holy Spirit who brings the scriptures alive for us in whichever translation. If you find a translation you are comfortable with then stick with it.

The guy who banned me actually called me a heretic. :rolleyes:

Reactions: amadeus

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2018
Bluffton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
IDOLATRY is not made for God's kingdom.

Other translations are obsolete but you don't see people pushing them AS IF the parchment ought to be worshipped.

Everyone will have to account for his or her actions, thoughts, feelings one day. Getting in the Word is what is important.

Reactions: Pearl

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Getting in the Word is what is important.

Agreed. KJVism, KJV-only suppresses access to the Word in 2 ways:
1. Strongly condemns other translations (except maybe NKJV)
2. Makes it more difficult to understand in a non-native language. (Middle English is not native to any living person.)

DPMartin

Jan 30, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Myth. The KJV has its day in the sun. It’s time has come and gone. We don’t speak Middle English anymore.
well is seems the general consences is:
The Complete Jewish Bible (sometimes referred to as the CJB)[1] is a translation of the Bible into English by David H. Stern. It consists of both Stern's revised translation of the Old Testament (Tanakh) plus his original Jewish New Testament (B'rit Hadashah) translation in one volume. It was published in its entirety in 1998 by Jewish New Testament Publications, Inc.[2]

The Old Testament translation is a paraphrase of the public domain 1917 Jewish Publication Society Version, although scholar Bruce Metzger notes that where Stern disagreed with the JPS version, he translated from the Masoretic Text himself. The New Testament section is Stern's original translation from the ancient Greek.

there is a caution here "paraphrase" my friend, that means its of the so called translator's opinion what the text ought to say in the name of modern day clarity. not good, not good at all, you don't want that, you what an honest word for word translation as humanly posable like a JPS or Stones if you prefer translation by the Hebrew. stay away from paraphrase bibles.

all i can tell you is "THE KING OF THE JEWS", what was written on the cross of Jesus, in Greek, Latin, and Hebrew, of which all three were used for the KJV translation.

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
you don't want that, you what an honest word for word translation

Don't tell me what I want. I don't like word for word translations as they are far to choppy & wordy for today's 30-second ad way of communicating. For instance:
Jesus came in from the rain.
After he came in, he went down stairs.
After he went downstairs, he took off his raincoat and goulashes.

Thought for thought translates whole sentences and even paragraphs. Sometimes, they even reverse verses to flow better. An example, 'I give 2 to you, one to Charlie and 2 to Bob.' It may be literal but does not flow. I'm sure you can figure out how to communicate the idea in a less wordy way.

For the record, I have word for word translations, e.g., ESV, NSRV. No one translation always appeals most to me, depending on the verse. For instance, a verse that rocked my world in 2020 was the CEV translation of Psalms 82:1. It was the verse of the year for me. If you recall, Jesus relied on Psalm 82:5 to justify calling himself the Son of God. Very profound and I missed it from the literal translations.

The insistence on word for word translations lose all significance once one realizes that so much of the Bible is figurative.