Please stay away from the pope!!!

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
xBluxTunicx82,

Do you believe the Gnostic gospel of Thomas is scripture? Do you really believe that a child Jesus killed his friend just to bring him back to life? Do you really reject the canon of the NT scripture as it was established during the Council of Nicaea?

Doesn't seem to mesh with the gospels I know to be true.

Rach1370

Apr 17, 2010
Australia
That is correct. Christ only built one Church, not many different churches. His Church is Apostolic because it was built by Christ through an Apostle. Christ said that the gates of Hell cannot destroy His Church; therefore, His Church still exist. The Roman Catholic Church is the oldest Christian Church that existed for 2000 years, and she can trace her lineage to an Apostle. Also, one can see the Jewish heritage in the Catholic Church because Christianity came from Judaism. Jesus, afterall, was a Jew.

So Selene, would you then say that the RCC is the 'only' Church? You would say that all Protestants are cults and not saved? Because that's what neo is saying.
I agree that there is only one Church, but it's not divided by denominations...that we are all Christ's who love Him and follow Him.

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
um...I believe Protestants who follow Christ and believe in the true nature of God are Christian, but I do not believe the Catholic Church is a denomination. Protestants broke away from the Catholic Church in an attempt to reform it - in the spirit of intellectual honesty, Protestants started the tradition of denominations. Not sure how you can include the mothership in the ranks of the file.

Not saying Catholicism is better - just recognizing the origin.

Rach1370

Apr 17, 2010
Australia
um...I believe Protestants who follow Christ and believe in the true nature of God are Christian, but I do not believe the Catholic Church is a denomination. Protestants broke away from the Catholic Church in an attempt to reform it - in the spirit of intellectual honesty, Protestants started the tradition of denominations. Not sure how you can include the mothership in the ranks of the file.

Not saying Catholicism is better - just recognizing the origin.

I do agree...it's not strictly a 'denomination'. But as it's a Christian religion, just as Protestant churches...I'm not sure what else to label it! We're all Christian, but clearly we do differ in ways. I dunno, do you have a better way to classify it, for the purpose of conversation??!

Reactions: aspen

Selene

Apr 12, 2010
In my house
So Selene, would you then say that the RCC is the 'only' Church? You would say that all Protestants are cults and not saved? Because that's what neo is saying.
I agree that there is only one Church, but it's not divided by denominations...that we are all Christ's who love Him and follow Him.

The Roman Catholic Church is the Church built by Christ through the Apostle Peter. The Eastern Orthodox Church are also Apostolic because they can also trace their lineage to an Apostle.

According to the Catechism of the Roman Catholic Church, salvation comes only from God and only God judges who goes to Heaven and who goes to Hell. According to our Catechism, Protestants are also Christians and therefore members of the Body of Christ despite that they are not Catholics. Protestants, Catholics, and Orthodox Christians are all members of the Body of Christ, but there is only ONE Church that Christ built. It is the Church founded by Christ through the Apostle Peter.

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I do agree...it's not strictly a 'denomination'. But as it's a Christian religion, just as Protestant churches...I'm not sure what else to label it! We're all Christian, but clearly we do differ in ways. I dunno, do you have a better way to classify it, for the purpose of conversation??!

yeah, I agree with you and Selene.

xBluxTunicx82

Apr 6, 2012
As usual simplicity is oft overlooked. There is but one church, period. And out of the 7 churches, Christ only found favor in two of them, all of the others were watered down and lukewarm. The Word is where the truth is, so if anyones teachers are taking away or adding to that Word, then it becomes the word of man. Let God say what He means without trying to base it off of mens interpretations. Thats talmudism...

neophyte

Apr 25, 2012
I also for the most part agree with what the three of you wrote, the thing that I have a problem with is that how do you consider the JWs and Mormons Christian, I'm not saying that their bad people only that they really don't believe in some of the basic tenets of our Christian Faith.
Also I can't understand that if each Protestant must admit that his/her interpretation is fallible , how can any Protestant in good conscience call anything heresy or bind another Christian to a particular belief? It's like who in Protestantism is to decide 'authoritively' if you all have a different 'take' on interpretation. Even if you Protestants say 'Well we agree on the important things' . But how can that be so, if using for an example 'Baptism ", we can see where Protestantism is divided into at least five different camps on this issue alone.
Protestants take the Holy Bible "alone" as their sole rule for salvation when back in the early years of Christianity the early Church evangelized and overthrew the Roman Empire , survived and prospered almost 400 years without knowing which books belonged in the canon of Scripture. A prime example was the apostle Thomas who evangelized in India without any form of a Bible [ using only Oral ApostolicTraditional Teachings ] and converted millions to Christianity.
"Authority" has always been a bone of contention among Christians since the Protestant Reformation, ask yourselfs who in Christianity had the authority to determine which books belonged in the NT canon and to make this decision binding on all Christians? If nobody has this authority, then can I remove or add to the canon on my own authority ?
These are only a few of the many questions that make me realize why Jesus left us His Teaching Authorative Church first and then that same Catholic/ Apostolic Church's bishops compiled the correct Canonical Books found in our completed bibles today. Jesus taught His apostles, they becoming the first Church 'teachers' [ substitutes ] until the" Real Teacher"comes back.

As usual simplicity is oft overlooked. There is but one church, period. And out of the 7 churches, Christ only found favor in two of them, all of the others were watered down and lukewarm. The Word is where the truth is, so if anyones teachers are taking away or adding to that Word, then it becomes the word of man. Let God say what He means without trying to base it off of mens interpretations. Thats talmudism...

xBlux Christianity/,Catholicism is the completion of the Jewish religion.
Those other seven Churches that you write about were teaching the very same doctrine and all were Apostolic. as found in Eph. 2:19 and Acts 2 : 42

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The dividing line between Christian and nonchristian religions is the belief in the true nature of God as a Trinity. All heresy mess with the true nature of God - Gnostics, Dualists, Mormons, JWs, Christian Science, etc.

True Protestant religions have preserved the Trinity in their doctrines and have therefore, remained within the Body of Christ.

neophyte

Apr 25, 2012
The dividing line between Christian and nonchristian religions is the belief in the true nature of God as a Trinity. All heresy mess with the true nature of God - Gnostics, Dualists, Mormons, JWs, Christian Science, etc.

True Protestant religions have preserved the Trinity in their doctrines and have therefore, remained within the Body of Christ.

aspen2, very good. I have always thought of them also as my brothers and sisters in Christ.

xBluxTunicx82

Apr 6, 2012
That is correct. Christ only built one Church, not many different churches. His Church is Apostolic because it was built by Christ through an Apostle. Christ said that the gates of Hell cannot destroy His Church; therefore, His Church still exist. The Roman Catholic Church is the oldest Christian Church that existed for 2000 years, and she can trace her lineage to an Apostle. Also, one can see the Jewish heritage in the Catholic Church because Christianity came from Judaism. Jesus, afterall, was a Jew.
You are correct in the fact that Christ established but one Church, but each faction within Christendom vies for supremacy over the next with an 'our doctrine is the truth' mindset. Many folks attend the same church for years upon years, and thus are only biased towards the teachings of that church. While not all Christians are this way, it is a sad reality that the majority is.

Christ's Church does indeed exist, but it has no name. We can be certain that over the past 2000 years the 'church' that we know today has been thoroughly corrupted by Satans influence. This is WHY there is so many different versions of 'truth'. We must trust that there is only ONE truth, and that Jesus is that truth. After all, He is the way, the truth, and the life.

Christ spoke out against mans own traditions time and time again. These traditions carry over today into our own society, just take a look around. How often are we pitted against one another in heated debate because our version of truth is different from that of anothers? There is no room for any private interpretation of scripture, and we must test the spirit of all things.

To clarify though, Jesus Christ was most certainly not a 'Jew'. He was an Israelite, of the tribe of Judah...the same House/Family that the line of David descends, thus keeping in line with the throne of David being everalasting on this earth. Jesus taught us that those that deny Him are antichrists and a den of vipers, dogs, tares,, and a plethora of more derogatory references to this group of people. Who today still denies Christ, many to the point of hatred of Christianity and all that it stands for.

During His lifetime, no persons were described as "Jews" anywhere. That fact is supported by theology, history and science. When Jesus was in Judea, it was not the "homeland" of the ancestors of those who today style themselves "Jews". Their ancestors never set a foot in Judea. They existed at that time in Asia, their "homeland", and were known as Khazars. In none of the manuscripts of the original Old or New Testament was Jesus described or referred to as a "Jew". The term originated in the late eighteenth century as an abbreviation of the term Judean and refers to a resident of Judea without regard to race or religion, just as the term "Texan" signifies a person living in Texas.

In spite of the powerful propaganda effort of the so-called "Jews", they have been unable to prove in recorded history that there is one record, prior to that period, of a race religion or nationality, referred to as "Jew". The religious sect in Judea, in the time of Jesus, to which self-styled "Jews" today refer to as "Jews", were known as "Pharisees". "Judaism" today and "Pharisaism" in the time of Jesus are the same.

Jesus abhorred and denounced "Pharisaism"; hence the words, "Woe unto you Scribes and Pharisees, Hypocrites, Ye Serpents, Ye Generation of Vipers

No one in the Old Testament was ever called a Jew, those in the tribe of Judah were Judahites, these same Israelites went to war against the jews as recorded in II Kings 16:6
The Jewish fable has permeated and corrupted the most beautiful aspects of Christianity, and to deny it and accept a lie even when the evidence is in the world around you is foolishness. Judaism is NOT the religion of the Old Testament, as Jesus was not a practitioner of Judaism. Christ Himself was the Word in the beginning that created this Earth and all that is on it, He told the Pharisees, the Jews, that 'before Abraham was, I AM' telling them TO THEIR FACES that He was the same God of Abraham that they professed to worship. Yet they knew Him not, and to this day still are Christ deniers.
Their lineage is that of Esau/ Edom, the twin brother of Jacob who commited adultery with the Canaanites. The same descendents of Cain that were spawned in Eden OUTSIDE of the union of Adam and Eve.

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus was most certainly a Jewish man.

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Provide proof of this found in scripture... its biblically unsound and just isn't truth

Don't like Jewish people, huh? I see

Too many verses to cite. Jesus taught in the Temple, was referred to as Rabbi, attended Jewish festivals, participated in passover, and on and on and on

xBluxTunicx82

Apr 6, 2012
Passover belonged to the Israelites, as it was ISRAELITES that were delivered from Egypt. NOT a jew. Read the bible and see how many times in the old testament the word jew is found. See if they are any relation to Jacob.

What is it that Christ says about jews? Revelation rings a bell, something about the 'synagogue of Satan'. The word 'rabbi' merely means teacher, and the translation of the KJV is skewed anyway. You must refer to the original languages to understand man. And for the record, if said 'jew' is an Edomite, Communist, anti Christian, Zionist-- then no, I dont like them

You still provide no scripture backing up the claim that Jesus was a Jew.

Rach1370

Apr 17, 2010
Australia
The Roman Catholic Church is the Church built by Christ through the Apostle Peter. The Eastern Orthodox Church are also Apostolic because they can also trace their lineage to an Apostle.

According to the Catechism of the Roman Catholic Church, salvation comes only from God and only God judges who goes to Heaven and who goes to Hell. According to our Catechism, Protestants are also Christians and therefore members of the Body of Christ despite that they are not Catholics. Protestants, Catholics, and Orthodox Christians are all members of the Body of Christ, but there is only ONE Church that Christ built. It is the Church founded by Christ through the Apostle Peter.

Okay...cool. I would perhaps just add two things that I disagree with. First...the bible should be our foundation...not 'catechisms'. And two...the Church was founded and headed by Christ. Peter was the head of the disciples...well, most of them. I'm not sure I would say he was Paul's boss though! Paul rebuked him without concern, and Peter humbly accepted it. All of them were under Christ, however, as the Church still is!

I also for the most part agree with what the three of you wrote, the thing that I have a problem with is that how do you consider the JWs and Mormons Christian, I'm not saying that their bad people only that they really don't believe in some of the basic tenets of our Christian Faith.

Actually, we don't call them Christian. We call them cults. And no, a lot of them are not bad people. But there are a lot of 'decent' people out in the world who claim no beliefs at all. Doesn't mean they are saved, however. Thus it is with the mormons, the JW's, etc.

Also I can't understand that if each Protestant must admit that his/her interpretation is fallible , how can any Protestant in good conscience call anything heresy or bind another Christian to a particular belief? It's like who in Protestantism is to decide 'authoritively' if you all have a different 'take' on interpretation. Even if you Protestants say 'Well we agree on the important things' . But how can that be so, if using for an example 'Baptism ", we can see where Protestantism is divided into at least five different camps on this issue alone.
Protestants take the Holy Bible "alone" as their sole rule for salvation when back in the early years of Christianity the early Church evangelized and overthrew the Roman Empire , survived and prospered almost 400 years without knowing which books belonged in the canon of Scripture. A prime example was the apostle Thomas who evangelized in India without any form of a Bible [ using only Oral ApostolicTraditional Teachings ] and converted millions to Christianity.
"Authority" has always been a bone of contention among Christians since the Protestant Reformation, ask yourselfs who in Christianity had the authority to determine which books belonged in the NT canon and to make this decision binding on all Christians? If nobody has this authority, then can I remove or add to the canon on my own authority ?
These are only a few of the many questions that make me realize why Jesus left us His Teaching Authorative Church first and then that same Catholic/ Apostolic Church's bishops compiled the correct Canonical Books found in our completed bibles today. Jesus taught His apostles, they becoming the first Church 'teachers' [ substitutes ] until the" Real Teacher"comes back.

These are all really good questions. Tough ones, but good. Answered mainly, I think, with what we term sanctification. When saved, we receive the Holy Spirit. He guides us, convicts us, speaks to our conscience. We receive a new heart, new desires...to follow God and to read His word. We find a good, bible teaching Church and place ourselves in community, for encouragement and accountability. We actively spend our time trying to read and learn about God, His truths and what brings Him glory and joy. As far as our acknowledgement of our own 'fallibility' goes, I don't think its as bad as it sounds. Most Protestants, if you ask them, would be very definite on the things we would term closed handed issues. Things like the Trinity, that Jesus came to earth, still fully God but also fully human. That he lived a perfect life and died on the cross for our sins. That he rose again on the third day and descended back into heaven. That salvation comes through Christ alone, through faith alone, through grace alone. That he will return, physically, at the end of the age, not a humble servant this time, but a triumphant, glorious king!
You will find on the 'open handed' issues, that most of us have a definite opinion as well...what we believe is the truth of what the bible teaches. But on these points, which are not essential to salvation, we tend to give liberty...to happily pave the way for biblical discussion and growth, and if need be, leave to walk away, disagreeing maybe, but still friends and brothers in Christ.
Hope that answers some of your questions!

You still provide no scripture backing up the claim that Jesus was a Jew.

:blink: I'm sorry, are you saying Jesus wasn't a Jew???
Okay. Um, how about this...if Jesus wasn't a Jew, how on earth was he allowed into the temples to teach??? Or, what about the genealogies given in the gospels? His linage was traced back (very deliberately, to prove Jesus was who the prophecies talked about) to David, to Abraham, to Adam. That's about as Jewish as you get! Remember the first Jew...Abraham. Remember how God gave Him a promise, that it would be through his people...the Jewish people, that salvation would come?

Verses, huh.
The Genealogy of Jesus: Matt 1:1-17, Luke 2:23-38
That the nations would be blessed through Abraham: Gen 18:18, Gen 22:16-18

Selene

Apr 12, 2010
In my house
Okay...cool. I would perhaps just add two things that I disagree with. First...the bible should be our foundation...not 'catechisms'. And two...the Church was founded and headed by Christ. Peter was the head of the disciples...well, most of them. I'm not sure I would say he was Paul's boss though! Paul rebuked him without concern, and Peter humbly accepted it. All of them were under Christ, however, as the Church still is!

Hello Rach,

According to the Bible, it is the Church that is the pillar and foundation of Truth (1 Timothy 3:15), not the Bible. Why the Church? Because Christ is the Head of the Church, and it was the Church who wrote and gave us the Holy Bible, especially the New Testament books. So, if we can trust the Church to give us the New Testament books, then we can also trust the Church's doctrines found in the Catechism.

Rach1370

Apr 17, 2010
Australia
Hello Rach,

According to the Bible, it is the Church that is the pillar and foundation of Truth (1 Timothy 3:15), not the Bible. Why the Church? Because Christ is the Head of the Church, and it was the Church who wrote and gave us the Holy Bible, especially the New Testament books. So, if we can trust the Church to give us the New Testament books, then we can also trust the Church's doctrines found in the Catechism.

Yeah, i'd disagree with this. Firstly, because the Bible is inerrant, and the Church, being full of sinful, fallen people, is not.
Secondly, "the Church" did not give us the Bible, the Holy Spirit did, inspiring it to be written through the apostles.

"All Scripture is inspired by God and is profitable for teaching, for rebuking, for correcting, for training in righteousness" -2 Tim 3:16

Selene

Apr 12, 2010
In my house
Yeah, i'd disagree with this. Firstly, because the Bible is inerrant, and the Church, being full of sinful, fallen people, is not.
Secondly, "the Church" did not give us the Bible, the Holy Spirit did, inspiring it to be written through the apostles.

"All Scripture is inspired by God and is profitable for teaching, for rebuking, for correcting, for training in righteousness" -2 Tim 3:16

Hi Rach,

I agree that the Holy Spirit gave us the Holy Bible, BUT it was THROUGH the Church that God chose to give it in that way. In other words, the Holy Bible did not fall from the sky. It came by way of the Church. The Holy Spirit inspired the Church to write the New Testament books. It was also under that same Holy Spirit that the Church canonized the New Testament books. While it is true that the Church consist of sinful members, this still does not negate the fact that the Church is also divine. Why is the Church divine? She is divine because she was not created by man, but by Christ, and Christ is her Head. So, while the Church members are sinful and full of errors, Christ (who is Head of the Church) is NOT. God promised to be with His Church and to guide her into all truths (See John 16:13). So, it is the Holy Spirit who guides the Church, not sinful man.

This is why the Holy Bible states that the Church is the pillar and foundation of Truth (See 1 Timothy 3:15). It is only in the Church where the Holy Spirit resides and whose Head is Christ. In fact, Scripture even says to turn to the Church if a brother trespasses against you and doesn't listen to you.

Matthew 18:15-17 Moreover if thy brother shall trespass against thee, go and tell him his fault between thee and him alone: if he shall hear thee, thou hast gained thy brother. But if he will not hear [thee, then] take with thee one or two more, that in the mouth of two or three witnesses every word may be established. And if he shall neglect to hear them, tell [it] unto the church: but if he neglect to hear the church, let him be unto thee as an heathen man and a publican.

As for 2 Tim. 3:16, which you quoted, it is the Church who uses Sacred Scripture to teach the Gospel and to correct the brothers of their errors. The Bible does not teach nor interpret itself. ONLY people can do that, which is why God sent the Holy Spirit to people. In this case, it is the Church.

Rach1370

Apr 17, 2010
Australia
Hi Rach,

I agree that the Holy Spirit gave us the Holy Bible, BUT it was THROUGH the Church that God chose to give it in that way. In other words, the Holy Bible did not fall from the sky. It came by way of the Church. The Holy Spirit inspired the Church to write the New Testament books. It was also under that same Holy Spirit that the Church canonized the New Testament books. While it is true that the Church consist of sinful members, this still does not negate the fact that the Church is also divine. Why is the Church divine? She is divine because she was not created by man, but by Christ, and Christ is her Head. So, while the Church members are sinful and full of errors, Christ (who is Head of the Church) is NOT. God promised to be with His Church and to guide her into all truths (See John 16:13). So, it is the Holy Spirit who guides the Church, not sinful man.

Yes, okay, I agree with this. The bible did not fall from the sky. :)
But if I may ask you something...given that there are fallen people within the Church, how do you proceed in following RCC doctrine blindly? I'm not attacking, just honestly curious. You tend to state the Catholic Catechisms more frequently than Bible verses. We know the bible to be fully inspired, but we don't know if the now, or then leaders, over the generations, were. Even if the Church is Christ's bride, if we place more faith in it, instead of Christ Himself, isn't that still a sin??

This is why the Holy Bible states that the Church is the pillar and foundation of Truth (See 1 Timothy 3:15). It is only in the Church where the Holy Spirit resides and whose Head is Christ. In fact, Scripture even says to turn to the Church if a brother trespasses against you and doesn't listen to you.

Matthew 18:15-17 Moreover if thy brother shall trespass against thee, go and tell him his fault between thee and him alone: if he shall hear thee, thou hast gained thy brother. But if he will not hear [thee, then] take with thee one or two more, that in the mouth of two or three witnesses every word may be established. And if he shall neglect to hear them, tell [it] unto the church: but if he neglect to hear the church, let him be unto thee as an heathen man and a publican.

As for 2 Tim. 3:16, which you quoted, it is the Church who uses Sacred Scripture to teach the Gospel and to correct the brothers of their errors. The Bible does not teach nor interpret itself. ONLY people can do that, which is why God sent the Holy Spirit to people. In this case, it is the Church.

Again, I agree! Although I would perhaps say that people are strictly not necessary for teaching....the word and the Holy Spirit will often do the job just fine!!