Poll: Does the mainstreaming of tattoos open up increasing opportunities for faith ink witness?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Does the mainstreaming of tattoos open up increasing opportunities for faith ink witness?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I told you....almost every young girl I know has some sort of tatoo.
Even those very conservative types.
@GodsGrace
Well, yes, exactly. It's what they do. You're right.

It's something that conservative and traditional people can do with confidence; it's what many of them them do. So I'm sure it doesn't surprise you any more when you see them with it, right?

And I guess this is why this thread's OP quote rings true:

juliannenw said:
I am a nurse in a cardiac ICU. I am also pretty heavily tattooed. I am a well educated, well rounded nurse, and was raised with strong morals and manners. .. I am an extremely traditional person. I've always worn long sleeves .. I love having a professional persona as well as a unique one while I'm not working
allnurses dot com

And so to a lot of Christians now it's self-evident that the fact it's so mainstream now, including - like you say - for very conservative ppl, does increase potential and opportunities for faith based tattoo designs.

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
@GodsGrace
Well, yes, exactly. It's what they do. You're right.

It's something that conservative and traditional people can do with confidence; it's what many of them them do. So I'm sure it doesn't surprise you any more when you see them with it, right?

And I guess this is why this thread's OP quote rings true:

allnurses dot com

And so to a lot of Christians now it's self-evident that the fact it's so mainstream now, including - like you say - for very conservative ppl, does increase potential and opportunities for faith based tattoo designs.
But I don't see faith based tatoos.
I could think of one of the face of Jesus on the arm of a man.

Wonder if others agree.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
But I don't see faith based tatoos.

@GodsGrace Oh I was responding to the bit where you said:
GodsGrace said:
....almost every young girl I know has some sort of tatoo.
Even those very conservative types.

Maybe I wasn't so clear. What I meant was, when you see "almost every young girl I know has some sort of tatoo. Even those very conservative types", it doesn't surprise you any more, does it?

It really is what they do now.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
@GodsGrace Peviously you said:
GodsGrace said:
I think so too.
I was at the beach area the other day, and girls are full of tattoos.
I never noticed so many before, and I would have noticed.

I think it's just clear that it's what they do now; and in some areas - especially North America - many young Christians, instead of fighting it, instead embrace the ink medium and try to get God glorifying, witness friendly inkings.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
@Mayflower After your recent, happy event, I expect you'll still wait a bit before going to receive the extra ink that you said you are planning in commemoration of your new addition...

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
---
I was at Conference ( Christian ) ..some time ago.
- One of sessions was on 'Tatoos'.
- I learned a bit.. very interesting.

Blessings,
@Pathfinder7 PS: You can see at any rate it's a very topical subject. I saw a quote which showed just how widespread it has become in the Bible Belt.

My wife and I talked to a young lady with the whole of John 3.16 tattooed on her wrist area; it was her favorite Bible verse and mine also, and I'm sure other conversations have arisen as a result of her willingness to endure the ink injectings.

Reactions: Pathfinder7

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I was at Conference ( Christian ) ..some time ago.
- One of sessions was on 'Tatoos'.
- I learned a bit.. very interesting.

Blessings,
@Pathfinder7 PS: So at the Conference were some speakers sympathetic towards the use of tattoos as a medium for Scripture, etc.? or was is more of an analytical discussion, maybe?

Pathfinder7

Mar 8, 2020
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Pathfinder7 PS: So at the Conference were some speakers sympathetic towards the use of tattoos as a medium for Scripture, etc.? or was is more of an analytical discussion, maybe?

It was short session..on tattoos.
People at the Conference were surprised..
- There was a session on tattoos!
---
The Conference was about 'spiritual maturuty,
gifts & ministry calling'.
---
My guess is ..tattoos session was added.
- Because it might be helpful for those involved in ministry..to know about tattoos.
---
The session was balanced..not too much negative.
- Instructor had experience..outreach ministry to
people with tattoos.

Last edited:
Reactions: farouk

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
It was short session..on tattoos.
People at the Conference were surprised..
- There was a session on tattoos!
---
The Conference was about 'spiritual maturuty,
gifts & ministry calling'.
---
My guess is ..tattoos session was added.
- Because it might be helpful for those involved in ministry..to know about tattoos.
---
The session was balanced..not too much negative.
- Instructor had experience..outreach ministry to
people with tattoos.
@Pathfinder7 Sounds like they were trying to be reasonable.

Sometimes, in some circumstances, getting (further) tattooed can seem like an eminently sensible and positive thing to do. For example, if a soundly converted Christian woman has a tattoo of the name of a non-Christian ex-bf (e.g., 'Bill'), and very reasonably does not want to live with the visible reminder for the rest of her life, then going to the parlor to have 'Bill' changed to something reflecting her aspirations for time and eternity - e.g., 'Bible' instead of 'Bill' - could indeed seem a rather positive and sensible option instead.

Only a fanatical legalist, on the dubious grounds that she supposedly must not get further tattooed, would try to compel or guilt-manipulate a tattooed Christian woman in such circumstances to be condemned permanently to wear the possible fornicating memory of her ex-bf.

(However, there are indeed some guilt-manipulating fanatical legalists who might indeed try do exactly that.)