Poll: Tattoo artist: if a Christian daughter/son of yours worked as one, would you be supportive?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Poll: Tattoo artist: if a daughter/son of yours worked as a tattoo artist, would you be supportive?

• I would only really know what I think if I found myself in the situation described

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

atpollard

Jun 30, 2019
Port Richey, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I votes yes.

Which is ironic as I am not a particular fan of tattoos. I see NOTHING against them in the scripture (unless you are an Orthodox Jew), since even the OT prohibition is in the context of marking yourself for the dead. For Gentiles, the Jerusalem Council in the Book of Acts made it clear that we are not bound by the OT Law given to the nation of Israel.

My general objection is that it is a momentary decision with a permanent consequence. That seems generally unwise. On a personal level, I am a wimp and prefer to avoid pain rather than deliberately seek it out. However, I know other people that have deep, strong reasons to get a specific tattoo … often a tattoo and reason that is a form of personal worship … so who am I to speak against the gift of worship of another.

My daughter would likely share many of my values, so her tattoos would likely be her artistic expression and her gift to those she marked and her way of worshiping God with her talents. It would be hard for me to condemn that.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
My daughter would likely share many of my values, so her tattoos would likely be her artistic expression and her gift to those she marked and her way of worshiping God with her talents. It would be hard for me to condemn that.

@atpollard Thanks for your poll participation and comment.

So were you at all surprised when your daughter started getting tattoos? and are any other them specifically faith based in design?

Among the young ppl with Bible verses tattooed with whom I have spoken, all of them seem to have received them as witness tools.

atpollard

Jun 30, 2019
Port Richey, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@atpollard Thanks for your poll participation and comment.

So were you at all surprised when your daughter started getting tattoos? and are any other them specifically faith based in design?

Among the young ppl with Bible verses tattooed with whom I have spoken, all of them seem to have received them as witness tools.
My daughter doesn’t have a tattoo (I was presenting the “what if” of the OP). Of the tattooed people that I know, they fall into three groups:
  1. Faith based tattoos of deeply personal significance often used to witness.
  2. Tattoos obtained when they were young and unsaved that they now deeply regret having.
  3. Non-christian with tattoos to commemorate new age beliefs (like a butterfly to remember someone that died and their spirit is now free).
Obviously, of the three types, I would only favor the First Type under any circumstances at all, however I would never want to judge anyone because of the second type … my former sins are likely far worse than anything they might have done but I have no external marks for “church people” to see and judge. So we people who live in glass houses are the last who should be throwing stones at ANYBODY.

The third group are just stupid unsaved people acting like stupid unsaved people … which Ephesians 2:1-4 reminds us that we were once stupid unsaved people just like them. So they deserve a little slack more than Christians throwing shade for acting like a fool. They have bigger problems to deal with than a tattoo of a butterfly.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
My daughter doesn’t have a tattoo (I was presenting the “what if” of the OP).
@atpollard Oh okay! Thanks for your comment.... I kind of assumed that she had, by the way you replied earlier, but I see what you mean now.

Seems to me, anyhow, that tattoos have really become like double pierced ears were 40 years ago: maybe at the very first they were a teeny bit edgy, style-wise, but now women of all ages have it done confidently, don't they?

That being said, a lot of Christians seem to use ink (Bible verse, Christian fish sign <><, etc.) as expressions of faith and witness.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
BTW, she once again used her tats to start up a conversation yesterday with someone in the waiting room while her car was getting its oil changed.
@Lambano no They can provide for good opportunities for testimony, particularly if the faith based design is effective.

So has your wife mentioned any such recent, further opportunities?

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Just did….

Probably would just direct them to what their heart said and would leave it at that….

In Hm, Not me

@Not me

I think that inevitably there are likely to be a variety of views as regards how the tattoo artist profession is seen.

One poster claimed that tattoos are not lady-like.

Others have a quite different view; GodsGrace related how widespread it is in her area among the most conservative of ppl; Rita said how it made her feel good:

GodsGrace said:

almost every young girl I know has some sort of tatoo.
Even those very conservative types.

Rita said
I felt good about it. ..I was 50 when I had mine done, and two of my sons had various tattoos long before me..I had weighed everything up , talked to my pastor, reflected on scripture

Mr E

Aug 17, 2022
San Diego
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Mr E FYI......did you see /vote in the recent poll, above?

Fishing for comments?

Until you @ me, I had no particular interest and still don't. All my kids have tattoos, I have none. It's a generational/cultural phenomena that comes and goes with the times. If one of my kids wanted to work in a parlour I'd be nonplussed, but it's their choice- not mine to make. I raised my kids to be entrepreneurial and adventurous, unafraid and not dependent on my approval for a sense of worth.

Interestingly-- I dove into the Forum world as a result of the YouTube videos of a guy who called himself 'The Tattooed Theist' and tackled unorthodox questions online. He wanted to go fulltime into ministry and so he took a pause from YT and Instagram to attend seminary for pastoral training. He had tattoos on tattoos and he spoke from the heart on matters that people really struggled with. In the end it was the seminary that ruined him, not the tattoos.

Mr E

Aug 17, 2022
San Diego
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Mr E Thanks for the comments.

So would any of their tattoos be faith based?

No. My Navy son has an American flag with an eagle, and a Spartan/Gladiator thingy. My middle has a Canadian flag- from a Canadian National Team he represented, my youngest something with mountains he got to match with a girlfriend he no longer has-- (the girlfriend that is, the tattoo he still has lol) and my two daughters both have something significant of their children (little birdies and such).

Reactions: farouk