Poll: Tattoo artist: if a Christian daughter/son of yours worked as one, would you be supportive?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Poll: Tattoo artist: if a daughter/son of yours worked as a tattoo artist, would you be supportive?

• I would only really know what I think if I found myself in the situation described

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

JohnPaul

Soldier of Jehovah and Christ
Jun 10, 2019
New Jersey
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Christian liberty is one thing....some things are neutral, but I don't think pagan practices like tattooing are in that category. It's not a sin to either eat meat or avoid it. God may be longsuffering and merciful to those who are young in the faith and may be ignorant of His word and ways, and neither would I condemn them, but shouldn't we preach/teach and abide by His word so that they learn and grow?

Even without the word, let's just say one can discern a certain "uncleanness" with tattoos. I find it strange that a lot of Christians are ok with it. They are only drawn to it because the world is doing it. The world isn't what we should be following. As I said, the church isn't in a good place spiritually these days.
I am not okay with it, and I have two Tattoos, I got when I was younger, which I truly regret now and have for years, I advise against Christians getting them.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
You know the tattoos I have, I've told you many times over already.
Sorry; I had forgotten.

Another perspective:

As regards practicalities, a soundly converted woman with the tattoo of an unbelieving ex-bf's name (e.g., 'Bill') might have very strong reasons as a Christian woman to have the 'Bill' on her wrist changed to something such as 'Bible', instead; a good tattoo artist can often work wonders in such a way. I know that there are some ppl out there that are so legalistic as to try to force / guilt-manipulate a Christian young woman with the tattoo of an ex-bf's name not to have it changed to something that is faith based - thus condemning her to certain perpetual memories - but then the believer also has Romans 14 Christian liberty to act with personal discretion.

Lizbeth

Jul 22, 2022
Ontario, Canada
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Yeah, Farouk is obsessed with tattoos, it's getting tiresome already.
FYI...............

cc @lightlysalted
"Christian" tattoo parlour...hmmmm. Need to go learn what it means not to mix the holy with the profane.

Also in scripture, when the sanctified touch what is unclean, it doesn't sanctify what is unclean, but it makes unclean what was sanctified.

2Co 6:17
Wherefore come out from among them, and be ye separate, saith the Lord, and touch not the unclean thing; and I will receive you,

There are ways that seemeth right to man but lead to death.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
"Christian" tattoo parlour...hmmmm. Need to go learn what it means not to mix the holy with the profane.

Also in scripture, when the sanctified touch what is unclean, it doesn't sanctify what is unclean, but it makes unclean what was sanctified.

2Co 6:17
Wherefore come out from among them, and be ye separate, saith the Lord, and touch not the unclean thing; and I will receive you,

There are ways that seemeth right to man but lead to death.
Did you watch the short video and listen to its commentary?

It does go some way towards answering some of the issues which you raised in your post, # 96, above. I assumed you had raised these points in good faith.

In a spirit of Romans 14, it is perhaps likely that people will indeed think through these issues.

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Does the argument presented to justify tattooing remind you of the situation that when a lie is repeated enough times then it must be true?

Is getting a tattoo the display of the person's character or even a requirement for a disciple of Christ? What else will be considered acceptable to "win" souls for Christ?

The requirement of being faithful even unto death speaks much louder than conforming to the world in which we live. We are told that God, when He redeems the Israelites in our near future, that He will plant them in the Fertile Field of Christ. Does this Fertile Field of Christ include the writing of God's word on the skin or does God intend to write His Word upon their hearts?

Me thinks that God will write His words upon their hearts. That is the place where we need our relationship with God/Christ displayed.

Shalom

Lizbeth

Jul 22, 2022
Ontario, Canada
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
@Lizbeth Good, general reference to the principle of Matthew 7.14.

@Mantis also has a valid point:

It's also an especially strong expectation among certain demographics, such as nurses (who use them as ice breakers with patients and their families), military wives (who often express faith, family or patriotic themes in ink), etc.:

@Heart2Soul said:

BluegrassRN said:
allnurses dot com

GillDouglas said:
christianforums dot com

Goodness gracious so it's an "expectation" now is it? You know, the spirit of the world is always trying to get people to conform...ie, bow down, to it. But we as believers have not received the spirit of the world. Well, stick to your guns, people of God! As things become darker in this world, our lights will shine brighter.

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This thread grieves me, it just makes me feel so sad. Why do we want so badly to do as the world does? Do we honestly think it's the HOLY Spirit that is compelling people to get tattoos? Why have tattoos become so popular in a time when the church hast lost so much ground here in the west and judgment is hanging over our heads? Coincidence? I seriously don't think so. Please church, get some discernment, if the Spirit of God is within you. If anyone has discernment, what kind of vibes do you get walking past a tattoo parlour....not good ones, a feeling of evil and darkness....it's not of God.

AMEN, Sister.

I know it's not always good to speak one's mind, but when a subject is brought up, I often feel compelled to respond.

I've probably said the same thing before in different words, but:

The image of Tattoo Parlors is definitely not a good one.

There might very well be some artists that are upstanding citizens and fine people but:

Look at the origin of the industry. Most of the work was done overseas in times past in nations that had not fully recovered from heathenism.

And in America, they tended to be either dingy shops on the outskirts of polite society (manned by questionable characters), or prisons.

Not a very good look for origins.

My tattoo was done (much to my later regret) by a great artist in Europe whose work was featured in many of the top magazines and, at the time was a fairly close friend of mine but, frankly, we were both two parts of a "Three Musketeer"-type band of quite genuine hooligans.

Doubtless, all of this will be seen as an attack on the character of persons who, usually with the best of intentions, have disregarded the command of Scripture to refrain from getting their bodies marked and cut—a practice plainly stated as being of heathen origin, if I remember correctly.

All manner of abominations to God can be justified by carnal desires mixed with misapplication of Scripture and this is, indeed, happening more and more frequently and enthusiastically as time comes to a close. Jesus, Himself said this would be the state of things just before He returns to gather His people.

A call to repentance will never be popular with those who have made up their minds to disobey God. It is disheartening, to be sure, but it is clear from Scripture that at this time when so many hearts are being hardened against God's word, we shall have to gather warmth from the very coldness of others.

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You know the tattoos I have, I've told you many times over already.
Rest assured, if you had something good to say about tattoos, your words would be remembered by those who have made up their minds to disobey God.

Reactions: JohnPaul

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It's also an especially strong expectation among certain demographics, such as nurses (who use them as ice breakers with patients and their families), military wives (who often express faith, family or patriotic themes in ink), etc.:

This is absolute nonsense. My family is full of nursing workers and I come from a rich military background. These people are under no pressure to disobey God in cutting and marking their bodies. How utterly ridiculous.

@Mantis also has a valid point:

It might as well be said that if you were a thief before your conversion, you should feel free to keep everything you'd stolen.

Mantis

Nov 2, 2020
The wilderness
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

What people "think" is of no consequence. God is not interested in what we think. His word that goes forth from His mouth shall return unto Him void.
Well sure. But as I understand it, what he is saying is to not mark/tattoo yourself for the dead. That is a specific kind of tattoo. The dead are dead.

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well sure. But as I understand it, what he is saying is to not mark/tattoo yourself for the dead. That is a specific kind of tattoo. The dead are dead.

So your takeaway is that anything that seems harmless and not related to death is acceptable subject matter with which to defile the temple of the Holy Spirit?

Generally speaking, this is the kind of reasoning all too often exercised from a "How much can I get away with and still deceive myself that I'm obeying God?" mentality.

Reactions: Brakelite

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Tattoo artists can exercise some discretion; and also the nature of the establishment can be significant; FYI, short video:

Where does the Bible suggest that "the nature of the establishment" where the defilement of the temple of the Holy Spirit is committed is "significant?"

Mantis

Nov 2, 2020
The wilderness
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

So your takeaway is that anything that seems harmless and not related to death is acceptable subject matter with which to defile the temple of the Holy Spirit?

Generally speaking, this is the kind of reasoning all too often exercised from a "How much can I get away with and still deceive myself that I'm obeying God?" mentality.

There is freedom in Christ. If you feel convicted about tattoos, then don’t get them. People are too worried about what other people do.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America

Where does the Bible suggest that "the nature of the establishment" where the defilement of the temple of the Holy Spirit is committed is "significant?"
The post you refer to was in specific response to an earlier post by Lizbeth.

I think you are alluding to 1 Corinthians 3: defilement of the temple likely refers more to something such as fornication rather than to the idea of a young believer with a John 3.16 tattoo used in witness.