Prayer for feeling a sense of generalized anxiety disorder

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

thelord's_pearl

May 1, 2021
O`nowhere you have to know
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Hi everyone, I've been reducing a benzodiazepine, only a bit at a time, every 3 months and now I'm on a very low dose and I've been feeling a sense of generalized anxiety disorder these days, particularly today moreso than yesterday. There's something natural and safe that I can try but my sister has to be less busy and less tired to research for it, a good one that she approves of so I don't know how long I would have to wait. I ask for Christians to pray that God will intervene on my behalf and come to my aid. This anxiety is quite scary. Thank you lots.

Last edited:

Debp

Jul 5, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Praying for you now.

Can your doctor recommend something natural? I recall certain foods making people slightly drowsy so they can sleep better. Maybe those would help anxiety?

Also, I used to hear of a natural pill called Calms....sold at health food stores. It helps people to sleep more easily. Maybe that could help? Just some suggestions, best to ask your doctor.

But also, have you tried meditating on some comforting Bible verses? I have some favorites that I often think on upon waking. The first few verses of Psalm 23, Lord's Prayer and some others help a lot.

Rita

Staff member
Dec 20, 2020
South
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Anxiety is horrible but it has many sources, sorry to ask as you may have shared it elsewhere. Why are you coming off meds. My son suffers with anxieties and he needs meds as it’s a chemical imbalance. I suffer with anxieties, but mine are from triggers, so I am trying to work through the triggers with counsellors , including The Holy Spirit, so I don’t consider that I need meds.
I see calms has been recommended, not sure they are strong enough if it’s a chemical imbalance - think they are mainly for anxieties that arise from events , stress ect
Anyway I will add you to my prayer diary xxxxxxx

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I used to suffer from panic attacks. But then God brought me thru my fears, That and my brain just snapped one day and it turned into schizophrenia hallucinations instead. Now I'm on meds for schizophrenia and will remain on the meds. The meds also help with some slight anxiety so I am comfortable without much side effects.

So let me pray that you are given God's will regarding the meds and that you get wisdom to that effect. And may God heal you from this.

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Benzodiazepines are used to treat anxiety disorders, so feeling anxious coming off the stuff is probably something to be expected. What did your doctor say?

Anyway, I hope knowing the anxiety is expected, that what you're feeling is "normal" for now while you're coming off the benzo, will help you cope with it for a while until it goes away.

I hope it also helps to know your brothers and sisters in Christ are praying for you. Okay?

Last edited:

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
One natural way of dealing with anxiety is exercise. (Which I realize might be difficult if you're in a low energy, low motivation state.)

When I was going through a general anxiety thing and mild panic attacks a few years back, I talked to my doctor about it. My physician offered a pharmaceutical solution. I looked up the side effects and it said that class of drug could, uh, impact my marital relationship with my wife, so I passed on that one. To deal with the anxiety, I found just riding my bike around for 30-45 minutes a day helped. I told my doctor, and he confirmed that the endorphins the body produces while exercising naturally counteract anxiety.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
One natural way of dealing with anxiety is exercise. (Which I realize might be difficult if you're in a low energy, low motivation state.)

When I was going through a general anxiety thing and mild panic attacks a few years back, I talked to my doctor about it. My physician offered a pharmaceutical solution. I looked up the side effects and it said that class of drug could, uh, impact my marital relationship with my wife, so I passed on that one. To deal with the anxiety, I found just riding my bike around for 30-45 minutes a day helped. I told my doctor, and he confirmed that the endorphins the body produces while exercising naturally counteract anxiety.
The interesting thing about anxiety is that it could be clinical (low brain chemistry) or situational (too much stress). The brain normally reacts to frustrations by getting angry. Anger turned inward which happens with passive people can cause depression and anxiety. I good way to deal with physical frustration is exercise as you've said. If it is situational.

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi everyone, I've been reducing a benzodiazepine, only a bit at a time, every 3 months and now I'm on a very low dose and I've been feeling a sense of generalized anxiety disorder these days, particularly today moreso than yesterday. There's something healthy, natural and safe that I can try relating to neurotransmitters for mental health but my sister has to be less busy and less tired to research for it, a good one that she approves of so I don't know how long I would have to wait. I ask for Christians to pray that God will intervene on my behalf and come to my aid. This anxiety is quite scary. Thank you lots.

Praying for you. :praying:

Patients at the Nedley Depression/Anxiety Recovery residential (inpatient) program in Weimar, California are given the option to quit benzos cold turkey (NOT RECOMMENDED UNDER UNSUPERVISED CONDITIONS) and are given Catnip tea to soothe nerves and sleep through the night (otherwise virtually impossible while withdrawing from benzos). A good, reasonably priced brand that I use is Celebration Herbals available online with overnight shipping.

Here is a good video lecture on the Bible and natural remedies:

Reactions: thelord's_pearl

thelord's_pearl

May 1, 2021
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Thanks a lot for all the caring replies. I feel better today so I think it was frustration that was bothering me plus I didn't get to exercise enough, go on my long walk yesterday but I still would like prayers. Thanks. To the question about why I am getting off medication is because I was advised to get off the benzo and the anti-psychotic medication I'm still on that I want to get off of is because it used to be an emergency when I used to be extraordinarily concerned about things (situational) but it didn't seem to ever help. It was when I took a natural supplement of vitamins and minerals that stopped the worrying I had and because my psychiatrist believed in anti-psychotic medication she was angry and said I could get off the anti-psychotic medication whenever I feel like it when I asked so when I was on my last step, I took that dose for only one day and then stopped it and then had a big reaction. I panicked and raised the dose again and then still tried to reduce it on a more quick schedule but now I'm on 1mg of the anti-psychotic medication and will be reducing it on a long/longer schedule: a quarter off, every 2 months, when I get to it. Every month might be a little on edge.

thelord's_pearl

May 1, 2021
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Good news. My psychiatrist and I have been working together to get off of the benzodiazipine I've been taking and now I'm on a quarter of a tablet, a quarter of a 0.5mg which is 0.125mg now! Yay! I reduced from 2mg every 3 months and I have 2 more months to go and then I will be off it! I will update at that time. I am also reducing my anti-psychotic medication half a tablet every 2 months as a usual. I am on 2.5mg right now and I will be off of that next yr in January after the new year.

BlessedPeace

Aug 22, 2023
Bend
akiane.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi everyone, I've been reducing a benzodiazepine, only a bit at a time, every 3 months and now I'm on a very low dose and I've been feeling a sense of generalized anxiety disorder these days, particularly today moreso than yesterday. There's something natural and safe that I can try but my sister has to be less busy and less tired to research for it, a good one that she approves of so I don't know how long I would have to wait. I ask for Christians to pray that God will intervene on my behalf and come to my aid. This anxiety is quite scary. Thank you lots.
Hugs

:pray:

These resources may help.

Reactions: Nancy

thelord's_pearl

May 1, 2021
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Hugs

:pray:

These resources may help.

Hi BlessedPeace, I do not need any prayer or help anymore. I do not remember what I was experiencing that time I wrote the op and I really don't know what I meant by being on a "very low dose". I've never been on as very low as I am now, on my last step close to stopping it without feeling anything from it. Thanks though for caring and just for the info.

Last edited: