Preaching to the unconverted and the false converts

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Born_Again

Nov 5, 2014
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This is a good video of illustrations used by an open air preacher. Do you think they are effective?

Reactions: VictoryinJesus

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Because of their confrontational and fanatically negative deliveries, most probably do more damage than they do good. "Wretched" is usually a pretty disgusting program, but this one was refreshingly interesting.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nancy and bbyrd009

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Liked the caterpillar one. It is true; it is a matter of perspective. He gives a new one.

Um....how can you sell your most important and intimate relationship from the sidewalk? I couldn’t do it......what if you were guilted into convincing strangers of the vitality and intimacy of the relationship between you and your spouse? It would be considered glib and obscene.

I really think this approach is icky.

There is youtube of a guy who has discovered that if he tells a taco bell worker that his name is ‘Jesus is Lord’ than he forces the worker to say it when his order is ready.....the guy is totally arrogant about his request. He is also abusing the worker. Clever?...indeed.....effective? Maybe for people who are already tribal Christians, but for the general public? No. It is obscene and showboaty. The comments below the youtube are telling.

Sometimes I think Christians, even well-meaning Christians, are pimping their most intimate relationship and it is cringeworthy.

Last edited:

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
are pimping their most intimate relationship and it is cringeworthy.

I couldn’t do the side walk thing either. I’m not that bold but I don’t know the guy. What little I saw of him, he spoke of relationship. Who am I to say he is wrong? I also don’t believe screaming and spitting hell-fire-and brimstone is effect but it has been done that way for decades. Again, who am I to say God hasn’t used it to draw people to Him.

Philippians 1:15-18
[15] Some indeed preach Christ even of envy and strife; and some also of good will: [16] The one preach Christ of contention, not sincerely, supposing to add affliction to my bonds: [17] But the other of love, knowing that I am set for the defence of the gospel. [18] What then? notwithstanding, every way, whether in pretence, or in truth, Christ is preached; and I therein do rejoice, yea, and will rejoice.

You said: “pimping their most intimate relationship and it is cringeworthy.” I would ask if there is an intimate relationship there to share, if so, then we most definitely want to give Him to others. Or better said: 2 Corinthians 11:2
[2] For I am jealous over you with godly jealousy: for I have espoused you to one husband, that I may present you as a chaste virgin to Christ.

I wouldn’t say we are to “pimp” out our most intimate relationship, since to pimp is to control and there is no love in control.

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I couldn’t do the side walk thing either. I’m not that bold but I don’t know the guy. What little I saw of him, he spoke of relationship. Who am I to say he is wrong? I also don’t believe screaming and spitting hell-fire-and brimstone is effect but it has been done that way for decades. Again, who am I to say God hasn’t used it to draw people to Him.

Philippians 1:15-18
[15] Some indeed preach Christ even of envy and strife; and some also of good will: [16] The one preach Christ of contention, not sincerely, supposing to add affliction to my bonds: [17] But the other of love, knowing that I am set for the defence of the gospel. [18] What then? notwithstanding, every way, whether in pretence, or in truth, Christ is preached; and I therein do rejoice, yea, and will rejoice.

You said: “pimping their most intimate relationship and it is cringeworthy.” I would ask if there is an intimate relationship there to share, if so, then we most definitely want to give Him to others. Or better said: 2 Corinthians 11:2
[2] For I am jealous over you with godly jealousy: for I have espoused you to one husband, that I may present you as a chaste virgin to Christ.

I wouldn’t say we are to “pimp” out our most intimate relationship, since to pimp is to control and there is no love in control.

Boldness? Common Victory.....

Your genuine love for Christ and awe of our Creator stops you from this.....your care for scripture is loud and clear - there is nothing cheap about your faith. That is why you will not shout platitudes from street corners and fastfood restaurants. Jesus promoted His relationship with his Abba through intergrated practice....by loving His neighbor. I see this in every one of your posts.

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Boldness? Common Victory.....

Your genuine love for Christ and awe of our Creator stops you from this.....your care for scripture is loud and clear - there is nothing cheap about your faith. That is why you will not shout platitudes from street corners and fastfood restaurants. Jesus promoted His relationship with his Abba through intergrated practice....by loving His neighbor. I see this in every one of your posts.

Give God the glory. Four years ago I was consumed by hatred and it made me sick: physically and spiritually. I’m blessed and thankful God didn’t leave me there to rot in my own bitterness but led me out. He is the deliverer.

Two things I’ve realized: out of all the advice one can receive, God gives the only advice that can set a person free. He will show us a new way home. I still mess up and have to seek His advice on the way.

And the other: I read you talk about love often and (in another thread) you mention being nearly at the end of ...something. What I have seen of love is that the more we give it, the less we receive it. It is true. If we are waiting to receive it of others, we may keep waiting. We love imperfectly. What I have seen is God’s love and it surpasses all else and is completely different than anything I have ever seen or experienced. God loves perfectly. Aspen, it is His love that makes it to where a person can love their enemies. It is His love that makes a person able to love a neighbor that is completely different. It is His love that made Stephen stand sure and confident in love when being stoned. Stephen wasn’t being hugged or accepted with affection, yet Stephen knew love. I share this with you, because I pray you have seen and experienced this love that only God can give.

2 Timothy 4:16-18
[16] At my first answer no man stood with me, but all men forsook me: I pray God that it may not be laid to their charge. [17] Notwithstanding the Lord stood with me, and strengthened me; that by me the preaching might be fully known, and that all the Gentiles might hear: and I was delivered out of the mouth of the lion. [18] And the Lord shall deliver me from every evil work, and will preserve me unto his heavenly kingdom: to whom be glory for ever and ever. Amen.