Predestination or "Free Will?"

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Axehead

May 9, 2012
HiddenManna said:
If it be Gods Will, as we see in that Paul did not live by his own "free-will" but according to the Will of God, he suffered many things and was above all others in that he died daily to "free-will"
Paul, chose to bring his will into harmony with God's will. We are to come into agreement with God's will as it is progressively revealed to us. God does not obliterate our will, just as He does not remove our mind and emotions.

The Spirit of God by His Word stabilizes our emotions, renews our mind and actually strengthens our will so that we are in complete control of it and that it is not easily swayed by man or devil anymore. We then offer up our body as a living sacrifice to God, employing our members (mind, will, emotions, body) as members of righteousness now. We choose to yield our members to God (Romans 6) to carry out His desires (His will) in our life and others.

We always have a choice and we choose to glorify God with our mind, body, will and emotions. In short, we love Him with all of our heart, soul, mind and strength.

Purity

May 20, 2013
Melbourne
Axehead said:
Paul, chose to bring his will into harmony with God's will. We are to come into agreement with God's will as it is progressively revealed to us. God does not obliterate our will, just as He does not remove our mind and emotions.

The Spirit of God by His Word stabilizes our emotions, renews our mind and actually strengthens our will so that we are in complete control of it and that it is not easily swayed by man or devil anymore. We then offer up our body as a living sacrifice to God, employing our members (mind, will, emotions, body) as members of righteousness now. We choose to yield our members to God (Romans 6) to carry out His desires (His will) in our life and others.

We always have a choice and we choose to glorify God with our mind, body, will and emotions. In short, we love Him with all of our heart, soul, mind and strength.
Rom 7:21NET

The fact for Paul (even with the HS) was that his lusts of the flesh which he contended against were proven to be stronger than his human will. "For the sinful nature desires what is contrary to the Spirit, and the Spirit what is contrary to the sinful nature. They are in conflict with each other, so that you do not do what you want" (Gal 5:17NET).

Its long been the human condition.

O I omitted to comment on the "law" which is a principle of operation or a rule of a habitually repeated fact in our lives; not caused by a supernatural monster but ourselves. Rom 3:27; Rom 8:2

Purity

Wormwood

Chaps
Apr 9, 2013
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
JB_ said:
Thank you. Behold, how good and how pleasant it is for brethren to dwell together in unity! Psalm 133.1

SHALOM :)

# I believe we can all conclude that the will is not free if the mind(soul/will/desires) is morally bent to corruption(sin). Until Christ vivified us on the day he spoke to us we were all in darkness and prisoners to sin. A man shackled is not a free man so a soul bound in darkness is not free. It's not until Christ sets us free are we indeed free. Praise ye the LORD! :)
Yes. I would agree with this. Man, by his very nature, is a slave to sin and does not have the means nor desire to do what is pleasing to God apart from the grace of God in Jesus Christ. This is why it is so important to preach the Good News. It alone can free people. The reason the Son of Man came was to (lit.) "render powerless" the works of the devil (1 John 3:8b).

PeterAV

Jun 11, 2013
You start off building on a false premise, so it is easy to see why you would draw the wrong conclusion: You said: “Adam as we know was created a perfect being”.

The Bible says: Adam was “very good” which may mean as good as can be made, but was Adam “perfect” like Christ is perfect? [quote/]*******
Good point there Bling!
I remember when I read Calvin's Institutes, that He explained it this way. God gave Adam a mediocre will.
An interesting topic, this of predestination and free will etc.
Myself? I think the Bible shows it to be both.
PeterAV
Every word of God is pure:

JB_Reformed Baptist

Many are called but few are chosen.
Feb 23, 2013
AUSTRALIA
Wormwood said:
Yes. I would agree with this. Man, by his very nature, is a slave to sin and does not have the means nor desire to do what is pleasing to God apart from the grace of God in Jesus Christ. This is why it is so important to preach the Good News. It alone can free people. The reason the Son of Man came was to (lit.) "render powerless" the works of the devil (1 John 3:8b).
AMEN! :)

KingJ

Mar 18, 2011
South Africa
How people get this simple subject confused is beyond me :p.

I believe 100% in 100% predestination and 100% in 100% free will.

God is good = free will / impartiality. God is bad = no free will / partiality.
God is good = all predestined. God is bad = a few predestined.

If there is no free will then God is partial and evil....duh? He would be guilty of making cute innocent babies for hell?

God is creator + impartial + good + sovereign = 100 % free will and 100% predestination for all in Christ.
God is creator + sovereign = Calvinism = assumption of few predestined = failure to read all definitions of God = half truth.

My God is impartial and good, yours? (Psalms 136:1, Acts 10:34)

C'mon guys use logic, who would judge God as good if He was partial??????????? :wacko: :blink:
Lets all face the reality that 5pt Calvinism = God that is partial. Or please try prove me otherwise using simple logic.

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
KingJ said:

If there is no free will then God is partial and evil....duh? He would be guilty of making cute innocent babies for hell?

God is creator + impartial + good + sovereign = 100 % free will and 100% predestination for all in Christ.
God is creator + sovereign = Calvinism = assumption of few predestined = failure to read all definitions of God = half truth.

C'mon guys use logic, who would judge God as good if He was partial??????????? :wacko: :blink:
Lets all face the reality that 5pt Calvinism = God that is partial. Or please try prove me otherwise using simple logic.

Well, my God is good and no respector of persons.... That is true. In context, being no respector of persons means that it no longer matters if you are Jew or Gentile. God is partial though... He only accepts those that fear him and work righteousness.

In Romans 9 we find a pretty interesting discourse from Paul that claims that God will have mercy on whom he will have mercy, compassion on whom he will have compassion and will harden whom he will harden. He uses the example of Jacob and Esau as an example (he loved Jacob and hated Esau) and he states that was so before they were even born. He then further drives the point home by pointing out that he raised up Pharoah JUST so he could show his power.

As for cute innocent babies going to hell? Well, I don't know if they do or don't, but a lot of "cute, innocent babies" drowned at the flood, didn't they? It was the FIRSTBORN (some of them had to be cute innocent babies) of the children of Egypt that died during the passover. God told Israel to kill everyone -- man, woman, child, infant and beast -- they go up against including "cute, innocent babies" several times and got mad at them if they didn't. (1 Sam 15, for example).

"C'mon guys use logic, who would judge God as good if He was partial??????????"

Well, I'm not going to judge him at all! Paul didn't seem to like the idea either as he stated in Romans 9:19-20.

JB_Reformed Baptist

Feb 23, 2013
AUSTRALIA
KingJ said:

Impressive and entertaining equations you are trying to use. But I fear they're not balanced. Consider JOB in your equation on fairness when it comes to suffering. See if you can look beyond man's experience and see the mind of GOD.

Is God able to do what he wills with that which he owns? Or does this not factor in your equation of fairness and equity etc. Romans 9:19

Surely the ONLY balanced and proper view -as a false balance is an abomination unto GOD- is GOD can and does what he wills from the heavens. Who is to bring GOD into judgement and say what is fair and what's not, surely Job struggled with this but upon hearing the conclusion of the matter, shut his mouth.

We need God's grace so that our presuppositions and offensive thinking would be brought to the cross and bow to his will. This can ONLY be so if we bring EVERY thought captive to the obedience of Christ. 2 Cor 10:5

May the LORD grant us a proper view of his majesty and may we bow down in heart to the LORD of LORDS and KING of KINGS.

In Christ

May 19, 2013
bling said:
[SIZE=medium]You start off building on a false premise, so it is easy to see why you would draw the wrong conclusion: You said: “Adam as we know was created a perfect being”. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]The Bible says: Adam was “very good” which may mean as good as can be made, but was Adam “perfect” like Christ is perfect? [/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]You can take how the Bible uses the word “perfect” where in other places it means: complete, whole, one, together, mature, etc., but not “perfect” like Christ is perfect (God cannot just clone another Christ). Christ is not a created being, but man is. So are there some things God just cannot make from the outset? [/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]Can man become “perfect”, in that man becomes like Christ and if so in what way? [/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]“Free will” is either necessary or not needed dependent on the objectives:[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]Why did God make man in the first place?[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]What is man’s objective?[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]What is God’s objective as it relates to man?[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]We can say: “to bring Glory to God”, but a rock brings glory to God by being a rock, so what does that mean?[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]Can a person not bring glory to God?[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]What brings God glory and what does not bring God glory? [/SIZE]
Bling

You said I started on a false premise because I said Adam was created perfect. You have a right to your own opinion specially for one who has no understanding of Scripture.

You are correct to say the Bible said, Adam was “very good.” Did you also know the Bible declared:

And Jesus said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God.
Mark 10:18

That they all may be one; as thou, Father, art in me, and I in thee, that they also may be one in us:
that the world may believe that thou hast sent me. And the glory which thou gavest me I have
given them; that they may be one, even as we are one: John 17:21-22

Jesus in these verses is equating the believers as one with the Father and Himself. Since God is good, and from your own lips admitted Adam was “very good,” and since God is perfect, so then is Adam also perfect, and in this sense, was he created in the image of God, was good and perfect.

Someplace else in the Bible, we are told that when we see Jesus we shall be like Him. I don't know how all these will play out, but I do know that we should not accuse others of building false premises when they, themselves do not have any knowledge of Scripture. Found the scripture text.

Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know
that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is.
I John 3:2
Angelina said:
Here also "In Christ", was my reply to your post from "Can You Prove This?....
Hello Angelina

THERE IT IS, THE WHOLE GOSPEL SUMMED UP IN EPHESIANS CHAPTER ONE!

Ephesians Chapter One is the central theme or teaching of the Bible, but you lost me in the two questions you asked. Obviously, the answer to the first question are those of National/physical Israel, although technically, the early patriarchs were Gentiles, like Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, and Moses...etc., until God changed the name of Jacob to Israel. The group being referred to in question two are to the Ephesians and specifically to the Gentiles, to which I am included also.

My concerns are not about Ephesians One rather, it is your belief that God's elect/chosen are the people of Israel and the free will believers and you cite Romans Chapter Eleven, as proof texts? Nowhere in Romans Eleven or in Scripture does God speak of free will believers. Where do you read that? We can't arbitrarily just say things without the backing of Scripture.

Many Scholars and Bible teachers have somehow missed the gist of Romans 11:7; 25-26.

Scripture says God was married to physical Israel but time and time again Israel provoked and sinned against God by worshiping other gods, by marrying gentile women (not to be unequally yoked with unbelievers) and many other hosts of fornication, until one day He divorced them.

And I saw, when for all the causes whereby backsliding Israel committed adultery
I had put her away, and given her a bill of divorce;... Jeremiah 3:8.

This divorce took place at the time Jesus hung on the cross when He demonstrated how He paid for the sins of those He elected to salvation before the foundation of the world, when the veil of the temple was rent in two from top to bottom Mark 15:38.

Since that time, National Israel was not favored by God any longer as His people, except for a remnant chosen by grace which is also true for every nations of the world.

Please, read Romans Eleven very carefully, not as others that read it casually like its an ordinary book.

Note how God brought home the point of the condition of physical Israel in verses 7 and 25 as being blind, but a remnant chosen by grace and the rest were blinded.

Verse 25 gives a warning we all should adhere and not be ignorant of this mystery, unless we are boasting in our own conceits that blindness in part is happened to Israel, until the fulness of the Gentiles be come in, and so all Israel shall be saved...verse 26.

BTW, did you know Scripture speaks of two Israels? Yes, in fact verses 25 and 26 proves it! One is the Physical Israel, which consists of all of the Jews, and the other is the Spiritual Israel, which consists of all believers whom God elected to salvation, both Jews and Gentiles, and sometimes also called the Bride of Christ!

Going back to verses 25 and 26, the meaning here is: until the last of the Gentiles that is to be saved had become saved (fulness of the Gentiles come in), the condition of physical Israel remain as “blindness in part” (see,verses 5-10; specially verse 8).

Verse 26, “And so all Israel (Spiritual Israel) shall be saved! Not Physical Israel as their condition of blindness will remain until the end of the world.

After today, I don't believe you would want to have explained, verse by verse of Romans Chapter Eleven, for your spiritual eyes will see the truth. If not, more prayer to the Holy Spirit is needed.
Wormwood said:
In Christ, I have selected some of your quotes and numbered them to respond to them in order. There is a great deal in your statements that I disagree with strongly.

1. The "elect" are chosen by God's foreknowledge. They are not predetermined by God's arbitrary will, but are the elect who are predestined for glory based on God's foreknowledge of their response to His grace in Jesus. Although I know you will disagree with me here, the term "elect" does not necessitate arbitrary selection by God. There are other ways to view this that you are either unaware of or are failing to mention.

2. Most proponents of free will do not discount total depravity. Total depravity is not proof that free will does not exist. Grace elicits free will, it does not destroy it.

3. Actually this is no where close to the "best illustration in the Bible of free will." This looks like a straw man argument to me. In fact, I have never even heard of Lazarus' resurrection being referred to as proof for free will. Where did you get this? The resurrection of the dead in the ministry of Jesus has absolutely nothing to do with whether or not people have the freedom to respond to God's gift of life in Jesus.

4. No one I have ever read has claimed it did teach free will. Again, this is a false representation of free will proponents. Arminians believe in total depravity. They believe people are dead in their sins. However, they do not believe that God's Spirit and grace act in ways that are irresistible. Clearly the Spirit is resisted in Scripture and people act in ways contrary to the will of God which indicates free will. Of course, this is impossible for those who believe that all acts are sovereign decrees.

5. This is another terrible error in my opinion. The bible NEVER refers to repentance, faith, prayer for cleansing or baptism as a "work." Works in the NT are acts of law people do to establish their own righteousness in addition to or in contrast to the righteousness of Christ. Baptism, repentance, confessing Christ, etc. are God's select acts of faith he calls believers to when they want to embrace the righteousness of Christ. Show me one Biblical text where baptism, repentance, or praying for cleansing are viewed as works contrary to Christ's righteousness. They are means of embracing Christ's righteousness, not means of opposing his righteousness!

6. Where did you get this? Testament is not transliterated as parable. A testament is a will, covenant or agreement established between God and man or a disposition of goods as a result of death. A parable means to "cast alongside." Para -alongside (where we get parallel), and balo- I throw. Parables are stories that are cast alongside a teaching to bring further understanding. One is not a transliteration of the other.
Hi Wormwood

I'm sure there are a great deal of my statements that you strongly disagree with. Such is the nature of man. Here then are my answers based on your comments that you have laid out previously in numerical order.

If God looked down on the corridor of life (if there is such a thing), He would see dirty rotten people sold to sin. Allow me to demonstrate with an example . Here is a kingdom and for some reason all the people rebelled against the king and all were thrown in the dungeon. The king heard their cry for mercy and being he loved and had mercy for his subjects, he went down to the dungeon and began picking this one and that one...that one and this one...etc., and those he selected he set free and the rest were beheaded. How did the king see his subjects? Did the king had the right to choose who lives and who dies?? Did the king foreknow that those he set free would not rebel again or did he choose them arbitrarily because he loved and had mercy on them? When God sets someone free he becomes free indeed.

2. Total depravity is proof that free will does not exist. Total depravity is well taught in Scripture while free will is man's figment of his imagination and is not taught anywhere in Scripture. Consider these scripture texts: Jeremiah 17: 9; Ephesians 2: 1-5; Romans 3: 9-12; and many others like it.

3. I did not say the illustration I gave of the raising of Lazarus was referred to as proof for free will rather, I said, “The best illustration the Bible has offered concerning (not for) free will.” This is a travesty and a classic example of how people read, specially when they read Scripture...very, very casually. The Bible is full of types and figures, and portraits as we also read about the healing Jesus performed on the blind, the lame, and the sick ...etc. These healings were portraits of man in their spiritually dead condition as spiritually dead as also illustrated in the raising of Lazarus.

4. The problem is with those who take their authority and conclusions from man's work, like, Calvin
Arminius, and Wesley which BTW, even their best works are still tainted by sin, rather, than the Bible.
The Bible alone and in its entirety which is the written word of God is the ultimate authority. Every letter, every word, and every sentence in the original manuscripts were dictated by God to men and they were written in a book, which became the Bible.

5. Maybe I am wrong, but I have yet to see you offer any biblical texts to support your beliefs. You are making me wonder if you really ever read the Bible, as evidenced by not knowing faith is works. Since you asked for just one biblical reference, Well, here it is:

Remembering without ceasing your work of faith, and labour of love, and patience of
hope in our Lord Jesus Christ, in the sight of God and our Father I Thessalonians 1:3.

6. I apologize for this one. What I meant to write was the word “translate” in the sense, that the Old
and New Testaments are filled with historical events that contains figures and types and were
parabolic in nature. Hence, an earthly story with a spiritual meaning. It is really difficult at times for me to convey and put my thoughts into words on paper as you probably can tell. I read and understand much better than I write. I am not excusing myself for lack of education.

The problems I see with this type of debate are those who take their authority and conclusions on the works of man rather than on Scripture. The Bible is the only source book of truth.

I've read in one of your posts addressed to HiddenManna that you do not believe in double predestination where God arbitrarily chooses people to be saved and condemned. God does not condemn or tempt anyone to fall under His wrath James I: 13-15. If Jesus had not intervened in our
lives and paid for our sins we will surely die unsaved.

Unless we understand we are spiritually dead and incapable to choose for God, WE ARE SUBJECT TO GO TO HELL..

For as in Adam all (each and every individual) die, even so in Christ shall all (each and every
individual elected/chosen to be saved) be made alive I Corinthians 15:22.

If the second word “all” also have the same meaning as the first, then there should be no one in hell, but the Bible have specifically declared that hell will heavily be populated.

We should all be like the publican of Luke 18: 13:

And the publican, standing afar off, would not lift up so much as his eyes unto heaven, but
smote upon his breast, saying, God be merciful to me a sinner.

KingJ

Mar 18, 2011
South Africa
FHII said:
1. Well, my God is good and no respector of persons.... That is true. In context, being no respector of persons means that it no longer matters if you are Jew or Gentile. God is partial though... He only accepts those that fear him and work righteousness.

2. In Romans 9 we find a pretty interesting discourse from Paul that claims that God will have mercy on whom he will have mercy, compassion on whom he will have compassion and will harden whom he will harden. He uses the example of Jacob and Esau as an example (he loved Jacob and hated Esau) and he states that was so before they were even born. He then further drives the point home by pointing out that he raised up Pharoah JUST so he could show his power.

3. As for cute innocent babies going to hell? Well, I don't know if they do or don't, but a lot of "cute, innocent babies" drowned at the flood, didn't they? It was the FIRSTBORN (some of them had to be cute innocent babies) of the children of Egypt that died during the passover. God told Israel to kill everyone -- man, woman, child, infant and beast -- they go up against including "cute, innocent babies" several times and got mad at them if they didn't. (1 Sam 15, for example).

"C'mon guys use logic, who would judge God as good if He was partial??????????"

4. Well, I'm not going to judge him at all! Paul didn't seem to like the idea either as he stated in Romans 9:19-20.
Hi FHII

1. You are not defining partiality properly there. Partiality = favouritism not 'showing favor'. Look at how we treat our kids, no desert if they don't eat their veggies. Giving one desert and another none is not favouritism, rather showing favor to the obedient one, as both have the same law.

2. Paul is making the point that God is God and can do whatever He wants. What we have to realize is that God tells us what pleases Him. God tells us what He wants. God tells us whom He will have compassion on!! Rom 8:1 There is therefore now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus. and we know how to be 'in Christ', Mark 8:34 Then he called the crowd to him along with his disciples and said: Whoever wants to be my disciple must deny themselves and take up their cross and follow me.

3. We can know that babies don't go to hell. They have not sinned in anyway. If they go to hell, not only would God be bad, but more dumb and evil. As we know with certainty (with our God given minds) that killing or being cruel in any way to a baby / kid is sick to the core. There is no issue in God asking babies of a wicked and evil society to be killed as they go straight to heaven.

4. We know how God made us. God made us all from the same lump of clay. We choose to be vessels of dishonour or vessels of honour unto God. He did not make some from a lump of dishonour and others from a lump of honour. That would be clear favouritism / evil / most babies doomed for hell.

JB_ said:
1. Impressive and entertaining equations you are trying to use. But I fear they're not balanced. Consider JOB in your equation on fairness when it comes to suffering. See if you can look beyond man's experience and see the mind of GOD.

2. Is God able to do what he wills with that which he owns? Or does this not factor in your equation of fairness and equity etc. Romans 9:19

3. Surely the ONLY balanced and proper view -as a false balance is an abomination unto GOD- is GOD can and does what he wills from the heavens. Who is to bring GOD into judgement and say what is fair and what's not, surely Job struggled with this but upon hearing the conclusion of the matter, shut his mouth.

4. We need God's grace so that our presuppositions and offensive thinking would be brought to the cross and bow to his will. This can ONLY be so if we bring EVERY thought captive to the obedience of Christ. 2 Cor 10:5

May the LORD grant us a proper view of his majesty and may we bow down in heart to the LORD of LORDS and KING of KINGS.

Hi JB

1. Suffering is a separate issue surely? John 9:31. Hence, if the righteous / God worshippers suffer, it is God's will. Since we know that God is good, we can know that in whatever suffering we endure for Him, He will not break us but seeks to only strengthen our relationship / trust in Him and in time reward us. Surely if Job was failing, God would have stopped? 1 Cor 10:13.

2. :) Of course! God can do whatever He wants. God does what pleases Him Psalms 135:6. Fortunately for us, God does not hide His will from us, we know what pleases Him. It pleases God to be impartial. Psalms 51:17 pleases God.

3. Job loved God. God tested that, just like He does with all of us. We can judge God (nervously :) ). The prophets of old determined that God was good. Jonah judged Him as a God who is gracious and compassionate, slow to anger and abounding in love, a God who relents from sending calamity Jonah 4:2. I would not serve God if He was evil. We approve of Jesus and His ways. We don't serve out of fear but rather choose to fear as we love Him and don't want to lose Him. We fear a life away from Him just like we fear a divorce.

4. Amen!

jiggyfly

Nov 27, 2009
North Carolina
KingJ said:
Hi FHII

1. You are not defining partiality properly there. Partiality = favouritism not 'showing favor'. Look at how we treat our kids, no desert if they don't eat their veggies. Giving one desert and another none is not favouritism, rather showing favor to the obedient one, as both have the same law.

2. Paul is making the point that God is God and can do whatever He wants. What we have to realize is that God tells us what pleases Him. God tells us what He wants. God tells us whom He will have compassion on!! Rom 8:1 There is therefore now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus. and we know how to be 'in Christ', Mark 8:34 Then he called the crowd to him along with his disciples and said: Whoever wants to be my disciple must deny themselves and take up their cross and follow me.

3. We can know that babies don't go to hell. They have not sinned in anyway. If they go to hell, not only would God be bad, but more dumb and evil. As we know with certainty (with our God given minds) that killing or being cruel in any way to a baby / kid is sick to the core. There is no issue in God asking babies of a wicked and evil society to be killed as they go straight to heaven.

4. We know how God made us. God made us all from the same lump of clay. We choose to be vessels of dishonour or vessels of honour unto God. He did not make some from a lump of dishonour and others from a lump of honour. That would be clear favouritism / evil / most babies doomed for hell.
But do you have scriptures to support your belief? Your last statement here is actually contrary to what the scriptures say.

10 This son was our ancestor Isaac. When he married Rebekah, she gave birth to twins. 11 But before they were born, before they had done anything good or bad, she received a message from God. (This message shows that God chooses people according to his own purposes;12 he calls people, but not according to their good or bad works.) She was told, “Your older son will serve your younger son.” 13 In the words of the Scriptures, “I loved Jacob, but I rejected Esau.” 14 Are we saying, then, that God was unfair? Of course not!15 For God said to Moses,
“I will show mercy to anyone I choose, and I will show compassion to anyone I choose.”
16 So it is God who decides to show mercy. We can neither choose it nor work for it.17 For the Scriptures say that God told Pharaoh, “I have appointed you for the very purpose of displaying my power in you and to spread my fame throughout the earth.” 18 So you see, God chooses to show mercy to some, and he chooses to harden the hearts of others so they refuse to listen.19 Well then, you might say, “Why does God blame people for not responding? Haven’t they simply done what he makes them do?”20 No, don’t say that. Who are you, a mere human being, to argue with God? Should the thing that was created say to the one who created it, “Why have you made me like this?”21 When a potter makes jars out of clay, doesn’t he have a right to use the same lump of clay to make one jar for decoration and another to throw garbage into?22 In the same way, even though God has the right to show his anger and his power, he is very patient with those on whom his anger falls, who were made for destruction.23 He does this to make the riches of his glory shine even brighter on those to whom he shows mercy, who were prepared in advance for glory.
Romans 9:10-23 (NLT)

HiddenManna

Jun 1, 2013
Tennessee
Wormwood said:
It seems the only one presenting ideas here is me and you are presenting accusations. If you have some scripture or arguments to present, please do. They would be a welcome change from broad sweeping condemnations and baseless claims that people who believe in free will are undermining the righteousness of Christ.
Again I make no charge against any person, but I contend with a doctrine that denies the condition of mans flesh, and the need to crucify that flesh to the Cross. The natural man, "man of flesh" can no more please God by "free-will" any more than the pharisee could. Now the "free-will" religion is just the religion of the pharisee, packaged in New Testament words and terms.

Php 2:12

Wherefore, my beloved, as ye have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling.
Php 2:13

For it is God which worketh in you both to will and to do of his good pleasure.

"Fear and trembling" is a rejection of mans ability, it is a rejection of mans "free-will" and a submission to the Will of God that works from the Spirit.

"Fear" means we submit our mind, "trembling" is that we submit our body, unto the "will" of God. THIS IS NOT "FREE WILL"

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
KingJ said:
Hi FHII

1. Being partial is not showing favoritism??? Well God said there were some people he delighted in and some he flat out hated. Whatever you'd like to call it, it is what is written in the Bible.

2. I don't see your point in Romans 8:1. You are however, skipping over many verses to connect it with Romans 9, however. Some of them flat out say there are some who are foreknown and predestinated.

As for mark 8:34.... Many people make the same mistake with this verse and verses like this in that they believe "whoever" means we have a choice. not so. This is an identifying marker and not a proof of free will. He is telling us what the chosen will do.

We cannot read verses like Mark 8:34 and use them to nullify verses like Romans 8:28-30 and the first chapter of Ephesians. Yes, on it's own you can look at Mark 8:34 and say it's either an invitiation or meant to identify someone, but when compared to the rest of the Bible, you cannot use it to claim there is no predestination or that God doesn't predestinate people.

3. I know of no verses that say babies automatically go to heaven. I agree with you on the flesh side of thinking.... I don't want babies going to hell and no I don't think they deserve to go to hell. However, man's thinking and ways are not God's ways. The arguement that they haven't done anything evil (as you are saying) doesn't really hold weight.... They never did anything good either.

What I do have is a verse in Romans 5 which states that by one man sin entered into the world, and death by sin, and death passed on all men because all have sinned (and if we are arguing whether babies who die go to heaven, well if they died then death came on them). There is also a verse in Romans 8 that says that they that are in the flesh cannot please God. Well, those innocent cute babies are in the flesh, aren't they?

As for whether or not God is bad, dumb and evil.... Again, I'm not going to pass judgement on God. Maybe all babies do go to Heaven, but I don't have a verse that says that and I do have verses that say because they are in the flesh, they are sinners. In any sense, God is in charge of that so I don't worry about it.

As for your fourth set of statements, I'll defer to what Jiggyfly said.... I agree with him and have nothing to add.

Wormwood

Chaps
Apr 9, 2013
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi Wormwood

I'm sure there are a great deal of my statements that you strongly disagree with. Such is the nature of man. Here then are my answers based on your comments that you have laid out previously in numerical order.

If God looked down on the corridor of life (if there is such a thing), He would see dirty rotten people sold to sin. Allow me to demonstrate with an example . Here is a kingdom and for some reason all the people rebelled against the king and all were thrown in the dungeon. The king heard their cry for mercy and being he loved and had mercy for his subjects, he went down to the dungeon and began picking this one and that one...that one and this one...etc., and those he selected he set free and the rest were beheaded. How did the king see his subjects? Did the king had the right to choose who lives and who dies?? Did the king foreknow that those he set free would not rebel again or did he choose them arbitrarily because he loved and had mercy on them? When God sets someone free he becomes free indeed.

2. Total depravity is proof that free will does not exist. Total depravity is well taught in Scripture while free will is man's figment of his imagination and is not taught anywhere in Scripture. Consider these scripture texts: Jeremiah 17: 9; Ephesians 2: 1-5; Romans 3: 9-12; and many others like it.

3. I did not say the illustration I gave of the raising of Lazarus was referred to as proof for free will rather, I said, “The best illustration the Bible has offered concerning (not for) free will.” This is a travesty and a classic example of how people read, specially when they read Scripture...very, very casually. The Bible is full of types and figures, and portraits as we also read about the healing Jesus performed on the blind, the lame, and the sick ...etc. These healings were portraits of man in their spiritually dead condition as spiritually dead as also illustrated in the raising of Lazarus.

4. The problem is with those who take their authority and conclusions from man's work, like, Calvin
Arminius, and Wesley which BTW, even their best works are still tainted by sin, rather, than the Bible.
The Bible alone and in its entirety which is the written word of God is the ultimate authority. Every letter, every word, and every sentence in the original manuscripts were dictated by God to men and they were written in a book, which became the Bible.

5. Maybe I am wrong, but I have yet to see you offer any biblical texts to support your beliefs. You are making me wonder if you really ever read the Bible, as evidenced by not knowing faith is works. Since you asked for just one biblical reference, Well, here it is:

Remembering without ceasing your work of faith, and labour of love, and patience of
hope in our Lord Jesus Christ, in the sight of God and our Father I Thessalonians 1:3.

6. I apologize for this one. What I meant to write was the word “translate” in the sense, that the Old
and New Testaments are filled with historical events that contains figures and types and were
parabolic in nature. Hence, an earthly story with a spiritual meaning. It is really difficult at times for me to convey and put my thoughts into words on paper as you probably can tell. I read and understand much better than I write. I am not excusing myself for lack of education.

The problems I see with this type of debate are those who take their authority and conclusions on the works of man rather than on Scripture. The Bible is the only source book of truth.

I've read in one of your posts addressed to HiddenManna that you do not believe in double predestination where God arbitrarily chooses people to be saved and condemned. God does not condemn or tempt anyone to fall under His wrath James I: 13-15. If Jesus had not intervened in our
lives and paid for our sins we will surely die unsaved.

Unless we understand we are spiritually dead and incapable to choose for God, WE ARE SUBJECT TO GO TO HELL..

For as in Adam all (each and every individual) die, even so in Christ shall all (each and every
individual elected/chosen to be saved) be made alive I Corinthians 15:22.

If the second word “all” also have the same meaning as the first, then there should be no one in hell, but the Bible have specifically declared that hell will heavily be populated.

We should all be like the publican of Luke 18: 13:

And the publican, standing afar off, would not lift up so much as his eyes unto heaven, but
smote upon his breast, saying, God be merciful to me a sinner.
In Christ,

I wish the tone of your responses was not so demeaning. We can have a loving discussion and disagree without claiming that someone is using man's arguments, following man or does not know how to study their Bible. Anyway, here's my response:

1. First, these hypotheticals are based on a person's understanding of how God sees through time and is not the best way to form doctrine, in my opinion. Also, there are a number of problems with this illustration in my mind. A) If total depravity is true (and I believe it is) then the prisoners could not cry out for mercy under the Calvinist system. They do not want mercy for they are dead in their sins. They only cry out after they have been freed because they would never cry out to God in their lost state. So in Calvinism, it is not God's compassion on man's cry that brings release, but God's arbitrary will. B) I never said that Calvinism wasn't possible. Certainly God can do as he pleases. But the question is, does this picture match what we see in Scripture? My view is that there is absolutely no hint of limited atonement or that God does not desire all to be saved. I think Scripture clearly states the opposite.

2. Again, I believe in Total Depravity. I don't see how those verses you cite would refute my views. You will have to give further explanation as I cannot read your mind on this. It is only by God's grace that man can turn to him. The question is whether or not God's Spirit can be resisted or man ever acts contrary to God's will. I think the Scripture says clearly that this is so. In fact, there are so many verses it would take me a month to post them all. How could God ever be grieved or angry in Scripture if all actions are dictated by him? This seems nonsensical.

3. Are you really going to turn this into a semantics debate? Clearly you were implying that the Lazarus story was the primary text free will proponents use to back their views. You said it was the "best" text concerning (which means "about, on the subject of, or in connection with") free will. You said "[SIZE=12pt]So we see in the illustration of the raising of Lazarus that Scripture does not teach “free will.” There are only apparent scripture texts that are suggested and even then, they must be read in light of the whole Bible. [/SIZE]My point was very simple. No one I have ever heard of who believes in free will would argue that this is the "best" text on the subject. This is not about a "casual" reading. This is about whether or not this text is ever used in support of free will as you claim. Now if you want to talk about the meaning behind the miracle in the ministry of Jesus and how you feel it supports Calvinism, fine. That's another discussion and I would be happy to engage in that with you. However, show me one theologian or scholar who uses the Lazarus story to "teach free will" since that is what you are claiming.

4. The problem with those who despise teachers and make it sound like they need neither teachers or the great saints of the past is that they cut themselves off from the body and neglect the clear teaching of Scripture that the Holy Spirit works and gifts the rest of the body in ways He has not gifted them. Were you born a believer and did no one ever teach you how to study your Bible? Are you completely self sufficient and are in no need of the other members of the body? We are all impacted by our pastors, teachers, and certainly the men and women of faith in the past. Wise people study and learn from them and sift things based on an understanding of God's Word. To act like their sacrifices and contributions are contrary to the Spirit's work and show a reliance on man rather than God is just silly.

5. In my mind, the Bible is so absolutely full of passages that teach God wants all to be saved, God grieves over our actions, the Spirit is resisted, and God pleading and encouraging people to change their behaviors that I really don't know where to begin. Here's a few to chew on:
Genesis 6:5-6
Isaiah 1:13-14
Isaiah 1:18-20
Jeremiah 3:7
Jeremiah 7:31 *
Hosea 11:5
Malachi 3:7
Matt. 23:37
Acts 7:51
1 Tim. 2:4

6. No need to apologize. I understand.

I am not taking my authority from the works of man. I am classifying your interpretation of Bible texts (and mine) by names in history they are associated with. This does not mean I follow Wesley or anyone else. It means that my interpretation of Biblical texts is similar to Wesley and there are things Wesley says that I think he is completely right about (just as you agree with some of Calvin's doctrines and interpretations). Believe me, I study the Bible and have for many years.

Finally, I agree that God is completely just in condemning any and every human being on the planet for their sin. However, what Calvin taught was that God chose his elect from before the foundation of the world. Thus God created some men and women to display his wrath and he created some for glory. This was not based on their free will responses to him, but by his sovereign decree. Thus, God created every person with a plan and a purpose. Some he created for destruction and some he created for glory. No one is saying we are not all sinners. The question is whether or not God created people for the purpose of condemning them (when he could save them if he gave them his irresistible grace) and other he created for salvation by an act of complete sovereignty with no basis in human acceptance or rejection of his grace. I take it you believe this to be true. This is double predestination. Am I wrong?

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'd like to take a minute to get slightly off topic for a moment. It is related, but it doesn't apply to any one post. I do not like the terms Calvinism/Calvinist, OSAS or TULIP (or any terms within the acronym).

Here's the simple reason: Calvin would be rolling over in his grave if he knew what was going on! Has anyone read John Calvin's work? I actually have because I was tired and insulted by being a Calvinist when I had never read his work. I would imagine Calvin would also be insulted at such too. So, I did. All my beliefs about predestination came from the Bible and the Pastor who teaches me, and not from Calvin.

So here is a brief synopsis on what I learned about John Calvin from my readings. (Before I begin, I'd like to state that I have not read all his works, but I have read pertinenent sections regarding this topic as well as others) First and foremost, he wrote between 50 and 60 books and tens of thousands of pages on almost all topics in the Bible. From what I found only 1 chapter (although I recall there were up to three chapters or sections) dealt directly with predestination and foreknowledge. That's probably less than one percent. If anyone spent some time reading him, trust me, there are more interesting and pressing things he'd rather discuss if you could bring him back to life for a lecture series today.

Second, Calvin never once uttered the acronyms OSAS or TULIP. These are doctrines of his students that were brought up some time after his death. That is not surprising to me. Martin Luther also had the same problem as did John the Baptist. Paul also stated that even now grevious wolves were taking over, so he had the same problem too. Now, what DID happen (as far as I can see) is that his students took his writing and developed the doctrines we now call "Calvinism" from it.

With that being said, the things that Calvin wrote overall are often contrary to what is now known as "Calvinism". I'll give a brief and very strong example. Many who object to "Calvinism" claim that such doctrine gives one a "liscense to sin". Yet, I have an almost direct quote from Calvin that man does not have a liscence to sin. That's just one example.

So.... I would like everyone to stop using the term "Calvinism". Well, I know that's not going to happen. I just hope that some of you at least consider what I've said. Go ahead and use the term if you must, but at least know that it is pretty misrepresenting of the theologian.

That's all.... Thanks

Wormwood

Chaps
Apr 9, 2013
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
FHII said:
I'd like to take a minute to get slightly off topic for a moment. It is related, but it doesn't apply to any one post. I do not like the terms Calvinism/Calvinist, OSAS or TULIP (or any terms within the acronym).

Here's the simple reason: Calvin would be rolling over in his grave if he knew what was going on! Has anyone read John Calvin's work? I actually have because I was tired and insulted by being a Calvinist when I had never read his work. I would imagine Calvin would also be insulted at such too. So, I did. All my beliefs about predestination came from the Bible and the Pastor who teaches me, and not from Calvin.

So here is a brief synopsis on what I learned about John Calvin from my readings. (Before I begin, I'd like to state that I have not read all his works, but I have read pertinenent sections regarding this topic as well as others) First and foremost, he wrote between 50 and 60 books and tens of thousands of pages on almost all topics in the Bible. From what I found only 1 chapter (although I recall there were up to three chapters or sections) dealt directly with predestination and foreknowledge. That's probably less than one percent. If anyone spent some time reading him, trust me, there are more interesting and pressing things he'd rather discuss if you could bring him back to life for a lecture series today.

Second, Calvin never once uttered the acronyms OSAS or TULIP. These are doctrines of his students that were brought up some time after his death. That is not surprising to me. Martin Luther also had the same problem as did John the Baptist. Paul also stated that even now grevious wolves were taking over, so he had the same problem too. Now, what DID happen (as far as I can see) is that his students took his writing and developed the doctrines we now call "Calvinism" from it.

With that being said, the things that Calvin wrote overall are often contrary to what is now known as "Calvinism". I'll give a brief and very strong example. Many who object to "Calvinism" claim that such doctrine gives one a "liscense to sin". Yet, I have an almost direct quote from Calvin that man does not have a liscence to sin. That's just one example.

So.... I would like everyone to stop using the term "Calvinism". Well, I know that's not going to happen. I just hope that some of you at least consider what I've said. Go ahead and use the term if you must, but at least know that it is pretty misrepresenting of the theologian.

That's all.... Thanks
FHII,

I agree with you that often the students of a teacher will simplify their teachers views to make it more palatable and easier to spread. Sometimes this does damage to the actual teachings of the person themselves. This is true of pretty much every significant figure in church history. However, the point here is that we are debating concepts and those concepts are coined as "Calvinism" or "Arminianism." Even Pelagius was likely misrepresented in his views but we dont have much of his writings to know what he actually taught. However, I dont think the "grevious wolves" Paul was referring to is the same thing. I think Paul was talking about false teachers, not overly simplistic views of his teaching. I dont think Calvin would view his students as grevious wolves, but he would likely be very unhappy with the unsophisticated and unthorough manner in which people discuss his views. Moreover, many of these concepts are derived more from the later years of Augustine, not Calvin. Calvin was very systematic though which is why its easier to peg him with a more systematic view of these ideas.

Anyway, that being said, Calvin isnt here and we all know what each other are talking about. So I dont think we need to develop an entirely new vocabulary for this discussion for fear of hurting Calvin's feelings.

JB_Reformed Baptist

Feb 23, 2013
AUSTRALIA
FHII said:

That's all.... Thanks
Agree. :)

KingJ

Mar 18, 2011
South Africa
jiggyfly said:
But do you have scriptures to support your belief? Your last statement here is actually contrary to what the scriptures say.
I gave scriptures...If you are referring to pt 4. :wacko: You need scripture proving that God did not make some from a lump of honour and some from a lump of dishonour....

How about ''God made Adam''. Adam is singular. God did not make Adam the evil and Adam the good.

If you meditate on the baby example it will come to you too. If you got possession of Hitler's babies, would you throw them into a fire or bring them up to be good kids? ^_^

All scripture must be read in the light of God's definitions of Himself. We cannot read scripture and then form an opinion about the character of God. Example. God is impartial. Ie God does not make anyone for hell or heaven, we choose it. Now you go and read about Jacob and Esau and conclude that God is partial...when scripture says He is impartial. Why don't you try reason further?

If we read in the light of an impartial God we will see that the first couple verses..... (10 This son was our ancestor Isaac. When he married Rebekah, she gave birth to twins. 11 But before they were born, before they had done anything good or bad, she received a message from God. (This message shows that God chooses people according to his own purposes;12 he calls people, but not according to their good or bad works.) She was told, “Your older son will serve your younger son.” 13 In the words of the Scriptures, “I loved Jacob, but I rejected Esau.” 14 Are we saying, then, that God was unfair? Of course not!15 ) speaks of God's power to place us where He wants us. Some are born into a rich family, some aren't. Some are born as a servant, some aren't. God's brain is much bigger then ours, He made us, He knows and has a purpose for everyone's life. This has NOTHING to do with being created for hell / God being partial!.

Now the second section seems to get everyone confused :) I explained it above, but will do it again...''I will show mercy to anyone I choose and I will show compassion to anyone I choose'' ''So it is God who decides to show mercy'' Yes, amen, He can do as He pleases, He is God and I am so glad it is Him who decides because I know that He defines Himself as a good and righteous judge! Hence He will not send me to hell unless I deserve it. . and then....thankfully for us...lest we be terribly confused on His daily moods....He tells us whom He has mercy and compassion on, Mark 8:34. Psalms 51:17 (There are many more of course that I am sure you know of).

I am not sure if you are one of the them but a few Calvinists like to create a blur around the definition of partial in 'God is partial' by associating it with showing favor. Just in case and for the reader, Partial = favouritism. God shows favor not favouritism. Obedience gets His favor, disobedience not. NOT one exempt harmless baby gets His favor and Hitlers baby not :D.

FHII said:
1. Being partial is not showing favoritism??? Well God said there were some people he delighted in and some he flat out hated. Whatever you'd like to call it, it is what is written in the Bible.

2. I don't see your point in Romans 8:1. You are however, skipping over many verses to connect it with Romans 9, however. Some of them flat out say there are some who are foreknown and predestinated.

As for mark 8:34.... Many people make the same mistake with this verse and verses like this in that they believe "whoever" means we have a choice. not so. This is an identifying marker and not a proof of free will. He is telling us what the chosen will do.

We cannot read verses like Mark 8:34 and use them to nullify verses like Romans 8:28-30 and the first chapter of Ephesians. Yes, on it's own you can look at Mark 8:34 and say it's either an invitiation or meant to identify someone, but when compared to the rest of the Bible, you cannot use it to claim there is no predestination or that God doesn't predestinate people.

3. I know of no verses that say babies automatically go to heaven. I agree with you on the flesh side of thinking.... I don't want babies going to hell and no I don't think they deserve to go to hell. However, man's thinking and ways are not God's ways. The arguement that they haven't done anything evil (as you are saying) doesn't really hold weight.... They never did anything good either.

What I do have is a verse in Romans 5 which states that by one man sin entered into the world, and death by sin, and death passed on all men because all have sinned (and if we are arguing whether babies who die go to heaven, well if they died then death came on them). There is also a verse in Romans 8 that says that they that are in the flesh cannot please God. Well, those innocent cute babies are in the flesh, aren't they?

As for whether or not God is bad, dumb and evil.... Again, I'm not going to pass judgement on God. Maybe all babies do go to Heaven, but I don't have a verse that says that and I do have verses that say because they are in the flesh, they are sinners. In any sense, God is in charge of that so I don't worry about it.

As for your fourth set of statements, I'll defer to what Jiggyfly said.... I agree with him and have nothing to add.
1. If you look closer you will see He hates those who disobey Him. He did not hate Cain until Cain mocked Him by disobeying Him with his sacrifice. It is no more a case of giving a cookie to a good child and a hiding to the naughty one. Favouritism is keeping some children in a room for 10 years like Ariel Castro whilst you spoil others. A partial God is evil!

2. As I explained to Jiggy, we cannot read scripture and form our opinion about the definitions of God's character. God defines Himself as ''He is''. We then work backwards to grasp all scripture in this light! Scripture says He IS good. He IS impartial. Now if we read about predestination and being foreknown, we can conclude that, yes He knew whom He would make and all be destined to be in Christ. Jesus died for everyone. Can you imagine Jesus saying to the other guy on the cross 'dude even if you did repent like the guy next to me' I am not dying for you....lol...that guy rejected Jesus, the other guy accepted Jesus, Jesus died for both. For those that accept Jesus, it is destined that they THEN be in - Christ.

3. You need to use more lateral thought. Scripture says that we must make righteous judgements...now would you ever send a baby to prison? Scripture says God is a righteous judge...how silly are we to think He would send a baby to prison, we conclude that God is evil and dumb...and base our whole belief system on that possibility....we just need to use logic and trust that scripture is true when it says God IS good and righteous. God cannot and will not be evil. So despite how evil God may appear in the passage of scripture you read, don't form an opinion that goes against God's definitions from prophets. Otherwise the entire bible is joke!!

As for sin entering the whole world, yes, it did enter when Adam sinned. But use some lateral thought. If Adam was guilty for our sin and ''sin'' he would surely be the only one to suffer for sin? The fact that we all stand before God on a judgement day before we go go to suffer in hell for sin is proof that we chose to sin just like he did. Why can't you reason further and conclude that God created the perfect setting for His purpose to be achieved. He put evil incarnate in the form of the devil with Adam. He knew what He was doing. The devil should be to blame....but then God put the devil here...God should be to blame....But then God made a way out and we can understand a perfect / good God will not sin, hence He just created the perfect setting...using the rebellion of His original creation to affect all and speed up their choices to accept or reject Him.

If God knows who will go to heaven and who to hell, WHY not just create us like angels in heaven first time around? God does what pleases Him and it pleases Him to be impartial. God IS soveriegn AND God IS impartial.

I found your post #115 interesting. Thanks for sharing that.

In Christ

May 19, 2013
Wormwood said:
In Christ,

I wish the tone of your responses was not so demeaning. We can have a loving discussion and disagree without claiming that someone is using man's arguments, following man or does not know how to study their Bible. Anyway, here's my response:

1. First, these hypotheticals are based on a person's understanding of how God sees through time and is not the best way to form doctrine, in my opinion. Also, there are a number of problems with this illustration in my mind. A) If total depravity is true (and I believe it is) then the prisoners could not cry out for mercy under the Calvinist system. They do not want mercy for they are dead in their sins. They only cry out after they have been freed because they would never cry out to God in their lost state. So in Calvinism, it is not God's compassion on man's cry that brings release, but God's arbitrary will. B) I never said that Calvinism wasn't possible. Certainly God can do as he pleases. But the question is, does this picture match what we see in Scripture? My view is that there is absolutely no hint of limited atonement or that God does not desire all to be saved. I think Scripture clearly states the opposite.

2. Again, I believe in Total Depravity. I don't see how those verses you cite would refute my views. You will have to give further explanation as I cannot read your mind on this. It is only by God's grace that man can turn to him. The question is whether or not God's Spirit can be resisted or man ever acts contrary to God's will. I think the Scripture says clearly that this is so. In fact, there are so many verses it would take me a month to post them all. How could God ever be grieved or angry in Scripture if all actions are dictated by him? This seems nonsensical.

3. Are you really going to turn this into a semantics debate? Clearly you were implying that the Lazarus story was the primary text free will proponents use to back their views. You said it was the "best" text concerning (which means "about, on the subject of, or in connection with") free will. You said "[SIZE=12pt]So we see in the illustration of the raising of Lazarus that Scripture does not teach “free will.” There are only apparent scripture texts that are suggested and even then, they must be read in light of the whole Bible. [/SIZE]My point was very simple. No one I have ever heard of who believes in free will would argue that this is the "best" text on the subject. This is not about a "casual" reading. This is about whether or not this text is ever used in support of free will as you claim. Now if you want to talk about the meaning behind the miracle in the ministry of Jesus and how you feel it supports Calvinism, fine. That's another discussion and I would be happy to engage in that with you. However, show me one theologian or scholar who uses the Lazarus story to "teach free will" since that is what you are claiming.

4. The problem with those who despise teachers and make it sound like they need neither teachers or the great saints of the past is that they cut themselves off from the body and neglect the clear teaching of Scripture that the Holy Spirit works and gifts the rest of the body in ways He has not gifted them. Were you born a believer and did no one ever teach you how to study your Bible? Are you completely self sufficient and are in no need of the other members of the body? We are all impacted by our pastors, teachers, and certainly the men and women of faith in the past. Wise people study and learn from them and sift things based on an understanding of God's Word. To act like their sacrifices and contributions are contrary to the Spirit's work and show a reliance on man rather than God is just silly.

5. In my mind, the Bible is so absolutely full of passages that teach God wants all to be saved, God grieves over our actions, the Spirit is resisted, and God pleading and encouraging people to change their behaviors that I really don't know where to begin. Here's a few to chew on:
Genesis 6:5-6
Isaiah 1:13-14
Isaiah 1:18-20
Jeremiah 3:7
Jeremiah 7:31 *
Hosea 11:5
Malachi 3:7
Matt. 23:37
Acts 7:51
1 Tim. 2:4

6. No need to apologize. I understand.

I am not taking my authority from the works of man. I am classifying your interpretation of Bible texts (and mine) by names in history they are associated with. This does not mean I follow Wesley or anyone else. It means that my interpretation of Biblical texts is similar to Wesley and there are things Wesley says that I think he is completely right about (just as you agree with some of Calvin's doctrines and interpretations). Believe me, I study the Bible and have for many years.

Finally, I agree that God is completely just in condemning any and every human being on the planet for their sin. However, what Calvin taught was that God chose his elect from before the foundation of the world. Thus God created some men and women to display his wrath and he created some for glory. This was not based on their free will responses to him, but by his sovereign decree. Thus, God created every person with a plan and a purpose. Some he created for destruction and some he created for glory. No one is saying we are not all sinners. The question is whether or not God created people for the purpose of condemning them (when he could save them if he gave them his irresistible grace) and other he created for salvation by an act of complete sovereignty with no basis in human acceptance or rejection of his grace. I take it you believe this to be true. This is double predestination. Am I wrong?
Wormwood,

If the tone of my responses is demeaning it is not my intention. It is true God gave us pastors and teachers Ephesians 4: 11, but we must make sure they are faithful to the word of God, just as the Bereans checked out Paul to see if his teachings were in accord with Scripture.

1. You who it was that first mentioned the names, Calvin, Arminius, and Wesley. You are correct that no one would cry out for mercy under an apostate condition. However, you forgot about the publican of Luke 18:13 who cried out: “God be merciful to me , a sinner.” Wasn't he a picture of a reprobate individual before crying out? Indeed he was. In fact, God drove home the point that he was a publican, which according to the Pharisees were down casts The call of salvation is to the world, but many are called and few chosen. This sounds like limited atonement, does it not?

2. It may seem nonsense to you that God can grieve, but He does only in the sense that He wish all to be saved, but man as a sinner does not want to be saved, and more importantly he has no power to choose to want to be saved. Jesus wept as He was entering Jerusalem: O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, thou that killest the prophets, and stonest them which are sent unto thee, how often would I have gathered thy children together, even as a hen gathereth her chickens under her wings, and ye would not! Matthew 23: 37

3. I beg to differ. You are twisting my words. I've never said or claimed the raising of Lazarus was a teaching tool for free will proponents. In fact it is the opposite. Go back and read my post again on how I used the raising of Lazarus against those who believe in the free will doctrine. I am against free will doctrine because Scripture declare God is sovereign and He has all the right to choose and elect those He wishes to save. If there was a word or two that suggested I was a proponent for free will then, I go on record today to say I don't believe man has a free will to choose for God as I've already illustrated in the raising of Lazarus! Again, you have twisted my words If Calvin and I happen to agree with some doctrines of the Bible, then we must be reading the same Scripture and coming up with the same conclusions. I don't believe we can discuss about the meaning behind the miracles in the ministry of Jesus because they are spiritually discerned as in the example of the raising of Lazarus which you have misunderstood.

But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned. I Corinthians 2: 14

4. You said, we are all impacted by our pastors and teachers...and I say, only if they are faithful to the word of God. Please read my opening remarks above. We ought to go to the Bible knowing nothing and let the Holy Spirit lead and guide us into all truths.

5. God would like all to be saved, it's only because He does not wish for anyone to perish. He loves His creation. God does not plead and encourage people to change their behaviors because He knows, man by nature, is a sinner and on his way to hell.

6. I thank you for understanding.

Again, I must emphasize that I am not a Calvinist. Please read my 3rd. set of statements above. I believe you study the Bible but along side other books like Calvin, Arminius, and Wesley. I too follow one teacher but I check the doctrines he teaches against Scripture.

You said, “This is double predestination. Am I wrong?” Indeed you are! Calvin taught that God chose His elect from before the foundation of the world because that is what Scripture teach. Jesus is the Lamb slain before the foundation of the world. Revelation 13:8; 17:8 Psalms 69:28; 9:5
People really do read the Bible casually same as reading printed statements written by others.. For example, I said in one of my posts here that the cross was only a “demonstration,” yet no one challenged me on this. The cross was only a demonstration because the reality of the Atonement was done before the foundation of the world. Jesus did not truly die back there in 33 A.D. because if He did then how did the old testament believers like Abraham, Izaak, Jacob and a hots of other believers become saved? Note, as He hung on the cross and before He died He said “It is finished.” What was finished? The Atonement, of course. Scripture teach that without the shedding of blood (death) there is no remission for sins. Jesus was not yet dead as He cried, “It is finished” unless He had died previously before God created the world. This is not a new doctrine for the Bible was finished almost 2,000 years ago and it has not changed. This is what Scripture teach and this is how Calvin was led by the Holy Spirit.

Again, I repeat, unless we understand we are spiritually dead and has no power to choose for God, we will surely end under the wrath of God!

(For the children being not yet born, neither having done any good or evil, that the purpose of God according to election might stand , not of works, but of him that calleth;), Romans 9:11

Believe it or not, free will to choose for God, is works, same as the word faith.

Ye have not chosen me, but I have chosen you, and ordained you, that ye should go and bring forth fruit, and that your fruit should remain: that whatsoever ye shall ask of the Father in my name, he may give it you, John 15:16

Predestination at its purest form.

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
Matthew 7
9 Or what man is there among you who, if his son asks for bread, will give him a stone? 10 Or if he asks for a fish, will he give him a serpent? 11 If you then, being evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father who is in heaven give good things to those who ask Him!

Totally depravity...I think not! :huh:

Shalom!