Priest denies communion to lesbian at mother's funeral

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Comm.Arnold

Apr 7, 2011
-- The woman's mother just died. It was her funeral.
It is quite a leap to think that a heartbroken woman would feel this is an ideal time to cause and issue.

-- You have nothing to indicate that this case had anything to do with homophobia.
While I have a real issue with the lack of compassion with which how this priest went about everything, if you are a Catholic then you must recognize that he had every right/reason not to give this person Communion.

And if she was a practicing Catholic, she herself should have understood that part, as well. That reaction by the priest for the rest of the goings on is where I think she has a right to be upset.

Oh please these bleeding hearts people pull this kind of stuff all the time, It is sad that her mother died and I was not aware of that. It actually makes the thing even more confusing shouldn't she check ahead of time. Good for the priest to stand up against this I mean this is the type of thing that passes into the church and before you know it child molestors eveywhere. She is not just a human she has a spirit maybe multiple spirits he probably caught her in the act of making a deception and of course she is freaking out.

Edit: Ive seen more it is like they are trying to make me specifically look like a heartless oaf. Apparently he found about her lifestyle at the morning of the funeral not before. hmmmm ..... thats a beardstroker why did that happen to play out that way watch the answer appear in todays paper.

prism

Blood-Soaked
Jan 24, 2011
So. Cal
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And what's my objection?

"I don't see why the Eucharist is out of palce at a funeral."

You answerered it by...

"The danger with celebrating communion when unbelievers and agnostics are present is that they just seem to expect to be able to recieve communion not really knowing what it is andwhy they shouldn't."

Templar81

Apr 14, 2010
UK
I didn't answer myself at all. You just didn't read it right.

The Eucharist on a funeral is not out of place and yes there is a danger, there is a dnager inherent in practicly anything. You see Catholics have to have Mass, for a Catholic funeral to not have Mass there would be something seriously wrong. In the Church of England however, where the Eucharist ahs become more and more central over the alst 50 eyars it is not as rigidly celecrated as in the Catholic church and many churches will deliberately not celebrate the eucharist when they are expecting a large number of none church goers to run up like on Mothering Sunday, Rememberance Sunday, Baptisms, Weddings or Funerals for example( this is done at the discretion of a PCC- Parocial Church COuncil).

Just becaue there is a risk of communicating someone who should not be doesn't mean that a Eucharist is out of palce on in a funeral. The only thing out of palce is such people wanting to recieve something they don't udnerstand, they're not used to recieving and they aren't suitably prepared for either by catechesis or they have not sincerely gone through the neccessary self examination.

prism

Blood-Soaked
Jan 24, 2011
So. Cal
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Gotcha. We're on two different wave lengths.

WL1=Church Tradition
WL2=Bible.

Templar81

Apr 14, 2010
UK
Church tradition is important to me but not as important as scripture even though HCurch tradition is based on scripture.

If you took the trouble to actually read my posts you would see that I based my argument on 1 Corinthians 11, but you didn't notice did you.

Jul 6, 2011
This is the problem. Communion I understand, eucharist, the body and blood of Christ, which Christ said this is my body and blood for the forgiveness of sins.
Lesbian? Whats that? Nothing in the Bible for that.
Sorry but this woman is not only ignorant of God, she is like the men at Sodom, get out of our way or we will treat you worse.

This is the problem with gay stuff,
"You brought your politics, not your God into that Church yesterday, and you will pay dearly on the day of judgment for judging me.”
Its is not only anti-God, it impersonates God. Many will come in His name. The spirit like Satan masquerades as light, but it is darkness.

Lets pray for the priest that he is upheld in his correct stand, and pray for the woman that she comes to know the truth.

Jul 6, 2011
Thank you Templar81.

This is the problem..
Homophobia is a problem within the church. It antagonizes a lot of ppl, even those who want to be Christians.
If they want to be Christians they had better start believing the truth is God not gay. The Kingdom of heaven is near to anyone who knocks at the door and seeks it. God so loves people who experience same sex desires they are no different.

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
The Lords supper reminds us of his body which was broken and his blood that was shed on our behalf. I think that anyone who participates without this knowledge is bringing judgment upon themselves as the bible clearly states:

1 Corinthians 11
[sup]23[/sup] For I received from the Lord what I also passed on to you: The Lord Jesus, on the night he was betrayed, took bread, [sup]24[/sup] and when he had given thanks, he broke it and said, “This is my body, which is for you; do this in remembrance of me.” [sup]25[/sup] In the same way, after supper he took the cup, saying, “This cup is the new covenant in my blood; do this, whenever you drink it, in remembrance of me.” [sup]26[/sup] For whenever you eat this bread and drink this cup, you proclaim the Lord’s death until he comes.
[sup]27[/sup] Therefore, whoever eats the bread or drinks the cup of the Lord in an unworthy manner will be guilty of sinning against the body and blood of the Lord. [sup]28[/sup] A man ought to examine himself before he eats of the bread and drinks of the cup. [sup]29[/sup] For anyone who eats and drinks without recognizing the body of the Lord eats and drinks judgment on himself. [sup]30[/sup] That is why many among you are weak and sick, and a number of you have fallen asleep. [sup]31[/sup] But if we judged ourselves, we would not come under judgment. [sup]32[/sup] When we are judged by the Lord, we are being disciplined so that we will not be condemned with the world.

I think that the Priest was saving her from her own demise! :huh:

Blessings!!!

Reactions: Marta and Angelina

prism

Blood-Soaked
Jan 24, 2011
So. Cal
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Church tradition is important to me but not as important as scripture even though HCurch tradition is based on scripture.

If you took the trouble to actually read my posts you would see that I based my argument on 1 Corinthians 11, but you didn't notice did you.

No I don't notice everything (after all I am only human), but I did notice what Paul clearly states in 1Cor 11 and a wedding funeral still seems inappropriate without inviting trouble from unbelievers and those who do not discern the Lord's Body.

Jul 6, 2011
Very good post from Angelina.
When my father in law died I accidentally drove down a bus lane only street with my wife on the way to register the death. We were stopped and fined by two policemen. I didn't sue the police for it being inappropriate. Sadly we are dealing with people who have their own ideas and others must conform or they are bigots and hateful. They don't know who God is and they think they do.

Reactions: Angelina

Templar81

Apr 14, 2010
UK
No-one deserves to recieve the Lord's body. The difference is that an unbeliever will see people recieving communion and think they are somehow entitled to it. We come because Christ bid us to come, knowing we are not worthy.

We do not presume
to come to this your table, merciful Lord,
trusting in our own righteousness,
but in your manifold and great mercies.
We are not worthy
so much as to gather up the crumbs under your table.
But you are the same Lord
whose nature is always to have mercy.
Grant us therefore, gracious Lord,
so to eat the flesh of your dear Son Jesus Christ
and to drink his blood,
that our sinful bodies may be made clean by his body
and our souls washed through his most precious blood,
and that we may evermore dwell in him, and he in us.
Amen.

(Common worship Order 1, said by the congregation before the distribution of communion)

elysian

Oct 9, 2011
Thank you Templar81.

This is the problem..
If they want to be Christians they had better start believing the truth is God not gay. The Kingdom of heaven is near to anyone who knocks at the door and seeks it. God so loves people who experience same sex desires they are no different.

There is no biblical evidence that homosexuality is a sin. Not long ago, people justified racism by twisting the bible. That changed. This too will change.

Jul 6, 2011
There is no biblical evidence that homosexuality is a sin. Not long ago, people justified racism by twisting the bible. That changed. This too will change.
The scriptural evidence from God's word, the Bible has been given that describes homosexuality is a sin. So your remark is a lie is it not? A wicked suppression of the truth. But the threat to the church is noted.

Let me give the evidence again.
Jesus affirms (Matt 19, Mark 10, Eph 5) God's creation purpose in creating male and female to be in union (Gen 2)
Abstinence is the only alternative given (Matt 19, 1 Cor 7) and because of so much sexual immorality each man should have his own wife. (1 Cor 7)
Same sex relations are pagan and detestable to God (Leviticus 18 & 20), wicked (Genesis 19), a wicked suppression of the truth (Romans 1) and a barrier to the Kingdom (1 Cor 6)

Men who lie with men instead of women, is homosexual isnt it? Men who abandon the natural use of women and commit indecent acts with other men is homosexual isnt it? It isnt heterosexual is it!

Templar81

Apr 14, 2010
UK
[sup]You are right Brightmorningstar but bear in mind that our friend Elysian is new to Christianity and may never have read Leviticus. In fact he unlike us does not ahve direct access to scripture.[/sup]

elysian

Oct 9, 2011
God is not a racist nor is he a homosexual...these two truths will never change even over time...

Shalom!!!

Neither is god a homophobe.

[sup]You are right Brightmorningstar but bear in mind that our friend Elysian is new to Christianity and may never have read Leviticus. In fact he unlike us does not ahve direct access to scripture.[/sup]

Leviticus is OT, it doesn't apply to us. And Paul's warnings are against pederasty, not homosexuality per se.

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
No he isn't...he hates sin but loves sinners. That is why he sent his Son. To die for sinners..." like me" ^_^

Romans 5:6
You see, at just the right time, when we were still powerless, Christ died for the ungodly.

Bless you!!!

Reactions: Marta