Priest denies communion to lesbian at mother's funeral

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Foreigner

Apr 14, 2010
The title is misleading. The priests actions actually go deeper than that.

I do not condone what the priest did as far as the rest of the funeral (sounds like he went overboard), but my understanding is that if a priest knows a person is living in sin, he can deny the eucharist to them.

Any way you look at it, it is just sad.

Lesbian Wants Priest Removed After She Was Denied Communion at Her Mother’s Funeral

priest.png

Rev. Marcel Guarnizo
Barbara Johnson and her family are calling for Rev. Marcel Guarnizo of St. John Neumann Catholic Church in Gaithersburg, Maryland, to be removed from his ministry. The family is making bold proclamations after Guarnizo reportedly denied Johnson, 51, communion at her mother’s funeral on Saturday.

Johnson, a lesbian, was joined at the church by her partner to celebrate her mother’s life. Just before the service, Guarnizo apparently learned about her sexuality and relationship. Then, during the service, when Johnson stood up to receive communion, the priest openly denied her.

“He put his hand over the body of Christ and looked at me and said, ‘I can’t give you Communion because you live with a woman, and in the eyes of the church, that is a sin,’” she explained following the incident.

When he refused her, Johnson said she was shocked and stood in front of him, thinking that he’d change his mind.
“I just stood there, in shock. I was grieving, crying,” she explained. “My mother’s body was behind me, and all I wanted to do was provide for her, and the final thing was to make a beautiful funeral, and here I was letting her down because there was a scene.”

But Johnson, 51, and her family claim that Guarnizo’s offending actions went above and beyond the communion he purportedly refused to offer her. They claim that the priest left the altar when Johnson gave her eulogy and that he didn’t show up at the burial and declined to find a priest to replace him.

In a letter she penned to the priest, Johnson made her disgust and frustration known. She wrote, in part:

“You brought your politics, not your God into that Church yesterday, and you will pay dearly on the day of judgment for judging me.”

“I will pray for your soul, but first I will do everything in my power to see that you are removed from parish life so that you will not be permitted to harm any more families.”​
barbara-johnson.png

Barbara Johnson (Image Credit: WUSA9)
The Washington, D.C. Archdiocese claims that the priest’s actions go against “policy.” Although the church has not officially commented to media, this statement was made in a brief note that was released on the matter. The Archdiocese plans to investigate the incident.

“Any issues regarding the suitability of an individual to receive communion should be addressed by the priest with that person in a private, pastoral setting,” the statement also read.

Johnson’s family, though, says they aren’t looking to use the incident to criticize the Catholic Church as a whole.
“We agreed this is not a discussion about gay rights or about the teachings of the Catholic Church,” her brother, Larry Johnson, said. “We’re not in this to Catholic-bash. That’s the farthest thing from our minds.”

Lively Stone

Jan 15, 2012
Ontario, Canada
No one has the right or authority to deny the service of the communion elements to anyone. We are warned in scripture about taking the elements unworthily, which means the warning is to those who would choose to partake---there is no teaching that spiritual leaders must withhold.

I believe that in any church service where communion is celebrated, there are any number of people choosing to partake who are unworthy of doing so. We are not called to make judgments about others--only ourselves.

Reactions: Marta

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Are we to partake of communion with the world?

Is this a Christian issue or just a religious ritual issue?

justaname

Disciple of Jesus Christ
Mar 14, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If you are non Catholic, you can be refused communion. This is a long standing practice of the Catholic church. It is stated that it is up to the priest, but even those who are in catechism are required to abstain until they complete the course. As a protestant in a Catholic school I was not allowed to partake.

Foreigner

Apr 14, 2010
No one has the right or authority to deny the service of the communion elements to anyone.

-- That is incorrect. Non-Catholics are told at Catholic weddings all the time that the sacrament during the Mass is for Catholics alone.
Been to several and have seen it myself.

Their denomination, their rules.

As far as denying communion to Catholics within the Catholic church, they can do it for "those obstinately persevering in manifest grave sin," otherwise known as 'mortal sin.'

Definition of 'mortal' sin:
  • a sin of grave matter
    • sin committed with full knowledge of the sinner
      • committed with deliberate consent of the sinner
      The Pope just recently called homosexual marraige a sin that will likely lead to the destruction of humanity, so one would think that - with his seal of approval - lesbianism would be considered a 'mortal' sin.

Still, the Catholic church is selective in its enforcement of their own rules in this area.

Catholics such as Nancy Pelosi, the late Ted Kennedy and several other Catholics in Congress not only vote to keep abortion legal, but support late-term abortions and - for juveniles - abortion without parental knowledge or consent.

To me that would fall into the 'mortal sin' category, but whenever Pelosi and the like go to church, they are still given communion.

Go figure.

Hollyrock

Nov 17, 2011
USA
I think the Priests' decision not to give the lesbian communion is far less important than what the Word has to say about homosexuality. And no offense, but I thought that the Church is called the Body of Christ and that Jesus is our High Priest.

Lively Stone

Jan 15, 2012
Ontario, Canada
-- That is incorrect. Non-Catholics are told at Catholic weddings all the time that the sacrament during the Mass is for Catholics alone.
Been to several and have seen it myself.

It doesn't matter. They have no right to declare that.

Their denomination, their rules.

As far as denying communion to Catholics within the Catholic church, they can do it for "those obstinately persevering in manifest grave sin," otherwise known as 'mortal sin.'

Definition of 'mortal' sin:
  • a sin of grave matter
    • sin committed with full knowledge of the sinner
      • committed with deliberate consent of the sinner
      The Pope just recently called homosexual marraige a sin that will likely lead to the destruction of humanity, so one would think that - with his seal of approval - lesbianism would be considered a 'mortal' sin.

Still, the Catholic church is selective in its enforcement of their own rules in this area.

Catholics such as Nancy Pelosi, the late Ted Kennedy and several other Catholics in Congress not only vote to keep abortion legal, but support late-term abortions and - for juveniles - abortion without parental knowledge or consent.

To me that would fall into the 'mortal sin' category, but whenever Pelosi and the like go to church, they are still given communion.

Go figure.

But we are not talking about Catholicism, really. In my opinion, we are talking about the right to deny someone communion. That is between a person and God alone. Our pastors and leaders are only to give us fair warning about taking communion unworthily, and to make sure we have nothing between ourselves and the Lord that would be an impediment. That is the only rule.

People who continue in sin against fair warning by the leadership are to be cast out of the fellowship according to the word, so that they may reach a point of repentance.

There is no such thing as a mortal sin. All sin that is unrepented of is mortal to God. What possible difference does it make for the active homosexual to partake in communion? It is just one more thing that is done without understanding and in the sinful state. It is just one more thing to repent of once a person reckons him/herself with Jesus Christ. In other words, it is between the person and God.

Foreigner

Apr 14, 2010
It doesn't matter. They have no right to declare that.

-- Actually, they have every right to delcare that.
Their denomination, their rules. People are there by choice.
Don't like it, don't go there, but it is their right.

But we are not talking about Catholicism, really. In my opinion, we are talking about the right to deny someone communion. That is between a person and God alone.

Catholic Priest...Catholic Mass...Catholic version of communion called The Sacrament of Holy Communion
Sure sounds like we are talking about Catholicism....

There is no such thing as a mortal sin. All sin that is unrepented of is mortal to God. What possible difference does it make for the active homosexual to partake in communion? It is just one more thing that is done without understanding and in the sinful state. It is just one more thing to repent of once a person reckons him/herself with Jesus Christ. In other words, it is between the person and God.

-- Take it up with the Catholic church. Their beliefs. Their doctrine.
I am not a Catholic. Don't like what they say? Don't become one.

Lively Stone

Jan 15, 2012
Ontario, Canada
-- Actually, they have every right to delcare that.
Their denomination, their rules. People are there by choice.
Don't like it, don't go there, but it is their right.

A religion may make demands on people, but they have no right. It isn't biblical. People are born into Catholicism and their children grow up believing they are Christians because they were baptized as infants, and communion is the same thing---they think of it as something that Christians DO, and they give all authority to their clergy rather than developing a personal, intimate relationship with God and relying on what He tells them to do, which is at times to avoid communion due to undealt with sin or attitudes.

God is our authority concerning these things. No one has the right to take what is His.

Catholic Priest...Catholic Mass...Catholic version of communion called The Sacrament of Holy Communion
Sure sounds like we are talking about Catholicism....

What is happening is that we see a woman being trampled on because of her sin. Taking communion while living in sin is something God warns us about along with sinning. Why should this woman not take communion? Would she be defiled? She is already defiled!

Communion is a memorial of Jesus' sacrifice for us. If a sinner wants to partake, it is their choice, and something they will be able to reckon with God, when they finally come to know Jesus Christ.

-- Take it up with the Catholic church. Their beliefs. Their doctrine.
I am not a Catholic. Don't like what they say? Don't become one.

Neither am I a Catholic. This is not about Catholicism and their misappropriation of communion.

Templar81

Apr 14, 2010
UK
I'm genuinely suprised that the woman did not know that she would be denied the sacrament. If she was a lapsed Cath9lic which it stands to reason she must be then she should have just gone for a blessing isntead.

I ahve visited Roman Catholic Masses as well as an Orthodox Divine Liturgy and I respected the rules after all "when in Rome do as the Catholics say. (not as the Romans do." Out of respect for the RCC and the congregation and its Priest I would never tkae communion in a roman Catholic church unless I A. converted or B. because I was far from home and ther was no Anglican/Episcopalian church to recieve it in.

The priest did act correctly because if he did not he would have not given the woman the body of Christ but damnation as Paul tells us in 1 Corinthians !!. *hose who sin against the body and blood of Christ eat and drink damnation unto themselves."

To take Communion in such a state of sin is indeed a dangerouse thing to do since it invites God's judgement on the recipient. If the Priest gave the sacrament to the woman knowing she was a lesbian then he too would have sinned quite possibly held accountable by his Bishop.

It is sad though and it does seem mean spirited but the priest did the right thing.

Comm.Arnold

Apr 7, 2011
To create a scene is probably exactly why she went there. It is too bad we have to be so aware of mans laws as christians now a days. Oh yeah thats right they still abuse our bible in the courts.

Rach1370

Apr 17, 2010
Australia
On a side note....she's angry that the refusal was an insult to her mother...but I can't help but feel that in making such a fuss about it, she's not being at all respectful either...in fact she's made it all about herself, rather than saying goodbye to her mother quietly and with dignity. It has more to do with her hurt feelings and embarrassment of being 'denied' in front of others, then anything else. Any other 'non Catholic' or non practising Catholic, on being refused, would have chalked it up to just those...they weren't Catholic. But she's using 'discrimination' and her homosexuality, to raise a very undignified fuss.
Perhaps the priest didn't handle it in the best way a Christian (if he was one) should have...but seriously? Homosexuality is a sin, the Church thinks it, God thinks it...if you don't want to hear that and be 'embarrassed' then don't go into church. In effect she's demanding that while she's there, we need to conform to her standards, not keep our own. As a people of God our only concern and our standards need to be God's, not human and certainly not politically correct. The Priest could have...should have shown more love...indeed, it was the woman he was burying he was there for...but in no way should he have compromised his Lords expectations for someone wanting a bit of bread that meant nothing to her.

Lively Stone

Jan 15, 2012
Ontario, Canada
The priest did act correctly because if he did not he would have not given the woman the body of Christ but damnation as Paul tells us in 1 Corinthians !!. *hose who sin against the body and blood of Christ eat and drink damnation unto themselves."

To take Communion in such a state of sin is indeed a dangerouse thing to do since it invites God's judgement on the recipient. If the Priest gave the sacrament to the woman knowing she was a lesbian then he too would have sinned quite possibly held accountable by his Bishop.

No one has the right to deny anyone the elements of communion, as there is nothing in scripture that instructs us as leaders to do that. We are to examine ourselves only! The invitation to the Lord's Table is to Christians only. the decision to partake is ours, based on that self examination. No pastor or leader has the right to deny anyone.

Unbelievers are not invited to the Lord's Table, but should they in their ignorance partake, it does nothing more damning to them than the position they hold before God already as condemnable.

It is sad though and it does seem mean spirited but the priest did the right thing.

If he had given the warning that the Lord's Table is for those who have received Jesus Christ as Saviour and Lord beforehand, perhaps she would not have gone forward for communion. I don't believe that the Catholic Church emphasizes every time that the communion is only for born again believers. That is the problem when Catholics think they are saved because they were baptized as babies or confirmed a kids.

We are only responsible for those who are part of the Body of Christ to make strong judgments for their own sake, but to those who are unsaved, such as that homosexual woman, we cannot judge:

1 Corinthians 5:12-13
[sup]12[/sup] It isn’t my responsibility to judge outsiders, but it certainly is your responsibility to judge those inside the church who are sinning. [sup]13[/sup] God will judge those on the outside; but as the Scriptures say, “You must remove the evil person from among you.”

prism

Blood-Soaked
Jan 24, 2011
So. Cal
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
A funeral is not the setting for a communion service...period.

elysian

Oct 9, 2011
Homophobia is a problem within the church. It antagonizes a lot of ppl, even those who want to be Christians.

Templar81

Apr 14, 2010
UK
I don't see why the Eucharist is out of palce at a funeral. Mass is a staple part Catholic worship and should be celebrated as often as possible. Ideally people should recieve the sacrament every day though only once a day.

The danger with celebrating communion when unbelievers and agnostics are present is that they just seem to expect to be able to recieve communion not really knowing what it is andwhy they shouldn't.

A good example is the Church of England which doesn't just cater for those who are regualr wosrhippers so for example when a non-believing couple want their child baptised (they just want the ceremony basically) the Church will be filled with people who hog all the hymnals and don't have a clue what they are doing. It's for this reason that we rarely have communion on services like Baptisms, Weddings and funerals because there is always people there who will either recieve it improperly or be outraged that they have been exclude from it. So a in a standrad Anglcian funeral there would be no communion there for the woman to be refused unless the family had expressely wished to to have a Eucharistic service.

I've seen many people given Communion who really shouldn't have taken it. One wa a teenaage girl who was really excited to go up for communion because she was thirsty and wanted some wine. When she got to the altar rail she asked the ;ay Eucharistic minister who was adminstering the chalice, "how much is the wine, do I have a choice between white or red." You see the problem is that we don't want to exclude people so we get round it by not celebrating the Eucharist when we know there will be a lot of visitors there. Roman Catholics however do not have that option, they ahve to have Mass because it's the bread and butter fo their worship.

Lively Stone

Jan 15, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Homophobia is a problem within the church. It antagonizes a lot of ppl, even those who want to be Christians.

That is not the truth. Actually, homosexuals, unrepentant, and who think they can remain in their sin and still have a place among the people of God can be a problem.

We love everyone and accept everyone through our church doors. In fact, God sends the unsaved to our particular church knowing they will be loved and shown the way to Him. However, after some time, when a sinner consistently rejects the truth of Jesus Christ, he or she will leave, generally on his/her own accord, due to the truth of the message that hits home in them and they do not like it. If they continually choose sin and remain unrepentant, yet still desire to join with us, they will have to be approached as to whether or not they can remain. The church body cannot be allowed to be diluted or polluted by sin.

Foreigner

Apr 14, 2010
To create a scene is probably exactly why she went there. It is too bad we have to be so aware of mans laws as christians now a days. Oh yeah thats right they still abuse our bible in the courts.

-- The woman's mother just died. It was her funeral.
It is quite a leap to think that a heartbroken woman would feel this is an ideal time to cause and issue.

-- You have nothing to indicate that this case had anything to do with homophobia.
While I have a real issue with the lack of compassion with which how this priest went about everything, if you are a Catholic then you must recognize that he had every right/reason not to give this person Communion.

And if she was a practicing Catholic, she herself should have understood that part, as well. That reaction by the priest for the rest of the goings on is where I think she has a right to be upset.

Templar81

Apr 14, 2010
UK
i don't think she mean't to cause a scene I jsut think that she was more pre-occupied with the fact that her mother ahd just died and she was attending her funeral, so probably the celebration of Communion was the last thing on her mind. Therefore the thought never occoured to her that she should not be recieving it,]

The Priest on the other hand would have known prior to the fuenral that she was a lesbian because they would ahve had to meet to make the funeral arrangements and he could easily have been made aware at that stage. In which case he perhaps should have mentioned that COmmunion would be celebrated but it would have been hard to tell a grieving woman at that point, "oh by the way there will be communion and you can't recieve it." He was probably hoping that she wouldn't go up for it, that she would get a blessing isntead.

Reactions: Marta

prism

Blood-Soaked
Jan 24, 2011
So. Cal
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don't see why the Eucharist is out of palce at a funeral. Mass is a staple part Catholic worship and should be celebrated as often as possible. Ideally people should recieve the sacrament every day though only once a day.

The danger with celebrating communion when unbelievers and agnostics are present is that they just seem to expect to be able to recieve communion not really knowing what it is andwhy they shouldn't.

Thank you for answering your own objection.