Principles For Observing Long Fasts

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Blessings in Christ to all who read this. The following are some helpful tips I've learned to going on a long fast, and I not only wanted to get them down for my own sake but for anyone who attempts to do it in the future.

For starters, don't attempt one simply to impress yourself, or God, or anyone else with how religious or "spiritual" you are. You won't last three days, LoL. I say that mostly to get it away, but also because I have learned some things that, although they fly in the face of my original notion of needing to eat absolutely nothing, are in my opinion vital to completing a really long fast especially.

But setting aside precautions, here are the following principles I learned and will be applying from here on out every time I do a long fast:

1. Prayer in advance of it.

Without considerable prayer for weeks and months leading up to a long fast, you will likely not have the empowerment of the Holy Spirit to complete what you set out to do. Plain and simple.

2. Begin when the Spirit leads you to.

I had originally planned on starting in September. At the time I was even wondering if I could pull off a 40 day fast because I had never gone so long before. But then one day in early July (July 4th, after celebrating and having a good meal with friends), I suddenly felt God calling me that it was time to start. I did and the empowerment was there from the start. Even my wife, who usually gets no witness about me trying to fast even for five days, suddenly had total peace about it as well.

3. Drink a lot of water.

You need to stay hydrated, plus it keeps something in your stomach to take up space and help curb the feelings of becoming empty.

4. Switch to lemon water when the taste in your mouth becomes unbearable.

This is possibly the toughest obstacle for me. I can't stand the awful taste that comes with fasting. But squeezing a half a lemon into a tall glass of water with ice has a way of changing things a great deal. Lemon is also a natural body cleanser, so it is healthier than drinking plain water. Plus, after a while (25th day or so), you start to detest the taste of plain water anyway, no matter where it comes from. Wash your mouth with plain water sometimes to avoid too much acidity on your teeth.

5. Rinse with salt water.

This is the other lifesaver where bad taste in your mouth is concerned. Rinse with salt water when drinking lemon water doesn't seem to completely do it.

6. Take Vitamin C Packets!

One of the biggest keys for me. Belching became a terrible problem for me by Day #7 or so. Every hour or so I'd go on the belching barrage to clear my stomach. I was living on 4-5 Tums per day to keep the heartburn at bay, but it wasn't good. Plus, eventually the Tums made my tongue taste even worse. But around Day #25, my wife gave me a Vitamin C packet to try, one with 1,200 mg of C, plus electrolytes and B12 and a lot of other things included. This did WONDERS! Both the heartburn and belching went away and stayed away for 3 1/2 days. Then I found out why. The Vitamin B12 acts as a strong preventative against acid indigestion. She then went and bought a box of Emergen-C 1,000 mg Vitamin C powders for me, and I've been talking one every three days since. No more belching. No more heartburn. This particular brand is less sweet, but still tastes good to put down in two gulps.

I'll update this thread with post fasting/ going back to eating principles when I've had time to gain some experience with it.

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thanks, my friend...5 days was as long as I ever went and many 3 day fasts.
The 5 day one was the bomb...life changer, oh man!
My tip: keep God in the very forefront of your mind.....:) Talking to him all the time. ;)

Thanks for the nice response, Miss Hepburn. 5 day fasts were what I practiced too. Eventually I went on two different 2 week fasts, while eating maybe 150 calories a day to keep me going. It's something you grow more and more into. It's like training the body, only in a way that's different than an athlete does. And yes, this one has already changed my life profoundly, and I mean my whole life. Long story. But I'll probably get around to posting something that puts the whole package together later.

Blessings In Christ!

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have to say I don't understand anything about physical fasting, but that's because He has just never led me to it. He has put me on fasts in spirit though, and often. If it was left to me to decide, I would decide against it every time. Its not pleasant to my flesh to do without His caresses and to have to feel like I am in a thick cloud of fog but I know it's my trust being exercised for endurance. When you know it's for your great good, you come to a place where you actually thank Him for it, even though it doesn't feel good.

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I have to say I don't understand anything about physical fasting, but that's because He has just never led me to it. He has put me on fasts in spirit though, and often. If it was left to me to decide, I would decide against it every time. Its not pleasant to my flesh to do without His caresses and to have to feel like I am in a thick cloud of fog but I know it's my trust being exercised for endurance. When you know it's for your great good, you come to a place where you actually thank Him for it, even though it doesn't feel good.

Amen.
~ . ~Thumb.gif

Reactions: stunnedbygrace

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Just thought I'd give an update, two weeks in from coming off my first long fast:

1. Prepare for a few potential "accidents" in the first few days or so after going back to eating. I managed to keep from having a tragedy, but they come on you almost without warning, LoL. If there were days to take off, I would say make it the first few days after you end a long fast, not during it. If not near a restroom at all times, you may be in trouble, LoL.

2. Not sure why, but sweets will leave this terrible aftertaste in your mouth, and I'm the type who loves sweets. But it's strange. It's now more bearable than it was at first, but still there. Hard to describe, but like you've been eating some sort of bad artificial sweetener, even when what you ate contained 100% real sugar. Salty foods, on the other hand, are what you crave.

3. Expect it to take 9-10 days for you to get back to full strength physically.

4. Once your constitution starts to shore up, expect to eat for a good 4-5 days before your plumbing actually needs to start working. You empty out so thoroughly that it takes that long for your stomach and intestines to fill up with material that the body isn't actually using.

I suppose there were other things, but those were the highlights. Oh, also expect to put back about 20 lbs. in a hurry. But since you drop over 50, I'm you're still 30 to the good. But I need to get to work on an exercise program soon, LoL, or everything I lost is going to slowly get put back over time.

Feeling good again, however, and looking much better (for now). :)

Reactions: Willie T

Truth

May 31, 2017
AZ, Quartzsite
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Blessings in Christ to all who read this. The following are some helpful tips I've learned to going on a long fast, and I not only wanted to get them down for my own sake but for anyone who attempts to do it in the future.

For starters, don't attempt one simply to impress yourself, or God, or anyone else with how religious or "spiritual" you are. You won't last three days, LoL. I say that mostly to get it away, but also because I have learned some things that, although they fly in the face of my original notion of needing to eat absolutely nothing, are in my opinion vital to completing a really long fast especially.

But setting aside precautions, here are the following principles I learned and will be applying from here on out every time I do a long fast:

Without considerable prayer for weeks and months leading up to a long fast, you will likely not have the empowerment of the Holy Spirit to complete what you set out to do. Plain and simple.

I had originally planned on starting in September. At the time I was even wondering if I could pull off a 40 day fast because I had never gone so long before. But then one day in early July (July 4th, after celebrating and having a good meal with friends), I suddenly felt God calling me that it was time to start. I did and the empowerment was there from the start. Even my wife, who usually gets no witness about me trying to fast even for five days, suddenly had total peace about it as well.

3. Drink a lot of water.

You need to stay hydrated, plus it keeps something in your stomach to take up space and help curb the feelings of becoming empty.

This is possibly the toughest obstacle for me. I can't stand the awful taste that comes with fasting. But squeezing a half a lemon into a tall glass of water with ice has a way of changing things a great deal. Lemon is also a natural body cleanser, so it is healthier than drinking plain water. Plus, after a while (25th day or so), you start to detest the taste of plain water anyway, no matter where it comes from. Wash your mouth with plain water sometimes to avoid too much acidity on your teeth.

This is the other lifesaver where bad taste in your mouth is concerned. Rinse with salt water when drinking lemon water doesn't seem to completely do it.

One of the biggest keys for me. Belching became a terrible problem for me by Day #7 or so. Every hour or so I'd go on the belching barrage to clear my stomach. I was living on 4-5 Tums per day to keep the heartburn at bay, but it wasn't good. Plus, eventually the Tums made my tongue taste even worse. But around Day #25, my wife gave me a Vitamin C packet to try, one with 1,200 mg of C, plus electrolytes and B12 and a lot of other things included. This did WONDERS! Both the heartburn and belching went away and stayed away for 3 1/2 days. Then I found out why. The Vitamin B12 acts as a strong preventative against acid indigestion. She then went and bought a box of Emergen-C 1,000 mg Vitamin C powders for me, and I've been talking one every three days since. No more belching. No more heartburn. This particular brand is less sweet, but still tastes good to put down in two gulps.

I'll update this thread with post fasting/ going back to eating principles when I've had time to gain some experience with it.

I just completed a 4 day fast, I was invited to join in with countless other's, for prayer for the nation! I have not fasted in year's, this was not as hard to do until the last day, but I accomplished what was asked for, even though I found out that the Fast was for ten day's, I had not heard about it until after they started! Today I feel like I haven't felt in a long time, I feel great physically. I ended the fast with boiled carrot's and bread with tomato, and a little chicken broth.
I have decided to make fasting a part of my walk, from now on!

Reactions: lforrest

Truth

May 31, 2017
AZ, Quartzsite
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Just thought I'd give an update, two weeks in from coming off my first long fast:

1. Prepare for a few potential "accidents" in the first few days or so after going back to eating. I managed to keep from having a tragedy, but they come on you almost without warning, LoL. If there were days to take off, I would say make it the first few days after you end a long fast, not during it. If not near a restroom at all times, you may be in trouble, LoL.

2. Not sure why, but sweets will leave this terrible aftertaste in your mouth, and I'm the type who loves sweets. But it's strange. It's now more bearable than it was at first, but still there. Hard to describe, but like you've been eating some sort of bad artificial sweetener, even when what you ate contained 100% real sugar. Salty foods, on the other hand, are what you crave.

3. Expect it to take 9-10 days for you to get back to full strength physically.

4. Once your constitution starts to shore up, expect to eat for a good 4-5 days before your plumbing actually needs to start working. You empty out so thoroughly that it takes that long for your stomach and intestines to fill up with material that the body isn't actually using.

I suppose there were other things, but those were the highlights. Oh, also expect to put back about 20 lbs. in a hurry. But since you drop over 50, I'm you're still 30 to the good. But I need to get to work on an exercise program soon, LoL, or everything I lost is going to slowly get put back over time.

Feeling good again, however, and looking much better (for now). :)

Water is definitely a must, I also put a little cider vinegar in my water which I believe helped with mussel cramps and hunger!

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I just completed a 4 day fast, I was invited to join in with countless other's, for prayer for the nation! I have not fasted in year's, this was not as hard to do until the last day, but I accomplished what was asked for, even though I found out that the Fast was for ten day's, I had not heard about it until after they started! Today I feel like I haven't felt in a long time, I feel great physically. I ended the fast with boiled carrot's and bread with tomato, and a little chicken broth.
I have decided to make fasting a part of my walk, from now on!
Water is definitely a must, I also put a little cider vinegar in my water which I believe helped with mussel cramps and hunger!

Praise the Lord! People don't realize it, but you really do end up feeling a lot better. I'm currently trying to get on a program of fasting twice a week (Tuesdays and Thursdays). It's what the Eastern Orthodox do, and what the Jews used to observe back in NT times, only I haven't quite got the hang of it just yet, LoL. Praying that it sticks this coming week.

About cider vinegar, it's really whatever works for you, brother. Thanks for the reply. Nice to see someone posting on this thread. :)

Truth

May 31, 2017
AZ, Quartzsite
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Praise the Lord! People don't realize it, but you really do end up feeling a lot better. I'm currently trying to get on a program of fasting twice a week (Tuesdays and Thursdays). It's what the Eastern Orthodox do, and what the Jews used to observe back in NT times, only I haven't quite got the hang of it just yet, LoL. Praying that it sticks this coming week.

About cider vinegar, it's really whatever works for you, brother. Thanks for the reply. Nice to see someone posting on this thread. :)

As I said I am going to make fasting an standard to my walk, I also have considered fasting throughout the week, but not on our Sabbath, for the Sabbath is to be a Delight. I found that food taste's better after a fast, like the boiled carrot's, they were so sweet, we have also eliminated a lot of packaged food from our diet. trying to stay away from all the additives in processed food's. I do believe in being lead of the Spirit, but fasting I believe is something that we should do as the need present's itself, as with your Long fast, It might be wise to be drawn by the Spirit, to put forth such a difficult task for a special reason, that Our Savior only understand's and that you might be chosen with or without other's for the need!
Be Blessed in Yeshua [Jesus] name,AMN

Reactions: amadeus

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
not on our Sabbath, for the Sabbath is to be a Delight.

Me either. Actually, that's one of the reasons I want to fast Tuesday and Thursday: It would make eating on Saturday that much more enjoyable, LoL (not observing the Sabbath yet, but still have it in mind to).
we have also eliminated a lot of packaged food from our diet. trying to stay away from all the additives in processed food's.

Sounds smart.
I do believe in being lead of the Spirit, but fasting I believe is something that we should do as the need present's itself, as with your Long fast, It might be wise to be drawn by the Spirit

Absolutely. I find even short fasts are impossible for me unless empowered by the Spirit of God, so the grace needs to be there. I don't think I could ever do things mechanically, or in my own strength.
Be Blessed in Yeshua [Jesus] name,AMN

Same to you!

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

3. Drink a lot of water.

Wow, we must go to the same church...all about fasting right now!

But since you brought it up...

Jesus made it clear that fasting was what one does only when they are not with the Bridegroom. So...that means before He came physically, but also before He came or comes spiritually (in the glory of the Father). What we read about fasting was from the old testament, and from the time between Christ leaving and His return.

But the mistake that is commonly made, is not to consider that Him coming in spirit (when He knocks and you answer), and when He is in you and you in Him - mean that He is with you. In other words, if He is with you in spirit (the glory of the Father) - He is with you, and then the following applies:

Mark 2:18-19
18 "The disciples of John and of the Pharisees were fasting. Then they came and said to Him, “Why do the disciples of John and of the Pharisees fast, but Your disciples do not fast?”And Jesus said to them, “Can the friends of the bridegroom fast while the bridegroom is with them? As long as they have the bridegroom with them they cannot fast."

PS, Please forward this to the Pastor...I don't think anyone really understands this, not even the leaders.

Last edited:

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
But since you brought it up...

Jesus made it clear that fasting was what one does only when they are not with the Bridegroom. So...that means before He came physically, but also before He came or comes spiritually (in the glory of the Father). What we read about fasting was from the old testament, and from the time between Christ leaving and His return.

But the mistake that is commonly made, is not to consider that Him coming in spirit (when He knocks and you answer), and when He is in you and you in Him - does not mean that He is with you. In other words, if He is with you in spirit (the glory of the Father) - He is with you, and then the following applies:

Mark 2:18-19
18 "The disciples of John and of the Pharisees were fasting. Then they came and said to Him, “Why do the disciples of John and of the Pharisees fast, but Your disciples do not fast?”And Jesus said to them, “Can the friends of the bridegroom fast while the bridegroom is with them? As long as they have the bridegroom with them they cannot fast."

Greetings, Scott. I understand your argument, but it doesn't mesh with scripture. Why were the prophets and teachers in Antioch fasting before Paul's commission? (Acts 13:2). Why did Paul encourage married couples to give themselves to fasting? (1 Corinthians 7:5). Why did Paul ordain elders in every church in Lystra, Iconium and Antioch only after prayer and fasting? (Acts 14:23)... It sort of undermines your argument. Did the prophets and teachers at Antioch not have the Spirit yet? Did the Corinthians? Did Paul?
PS, Please forward this to the Pastor...I don't think anyone really understands this, not even the leaders.

What pastor? If you were referring to "my" pastor, I currently do not have a church, and my teachings are largely my own.

Blessings in Christ,
Hidden

Reactions: bbyrd009

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Greetings, Scott. I understand your argument, but it doesn't mesh with scripture. Why were the prophets and teachers in Antioch fasting before Paul's commission? (Acts 13:2). Why did Paul encourage married couples to give themselves to fasting? (1 Corinthians 7:5). Why did Paul ordain elders in every church in Lystra, Iconium and Antioch only after prayer and fasting? (Acts 14:23)... It sort of undermines your argument. Did the prophets and teachers at Antioch not have the Spirit yet? Did the Corinthians? Did Paul?
I too understand your position as it is most common. But you have come back with nothing of substance. Paul's ministry occurred during the infancy of the church where many were indeed without the Bridegroom. Therefore He preached fasting to them who were without that waited upon His coming. Which I would also do even now to those who have not answered Christ knocking at the door to let Him in. But whoever has answered and let Him in, they are not without the Bridegroom, and these things no longer apply, and this according to Christ's own word, as I have quoted.

Thus the answer is just as Jesus stated it, to those who do not have the Bridegroom, let them fast. But to them who have the Bridegroom, they "cannot."

What pastor? If you were referring to "my" pastor, I currently do not have a church, and my teachings are largely my own.
Any pastor will do, for I have not heard of any who understand. But I only said so, because the Holy Spirit has timed your thread perfectly with what is now being preached in my church, where the Pastor has the entire church studying Nehemiah...and fasting.

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I too understand your position as it is most common. But you have come back with nothing of substance. Paul's ministry occurred during the infancy of the church where many were indeed without the Bridegroom. Therefore He preached fasting to them who were without that waited upon His coming. Which I would also do even now to those who have not answered Christ knocking at the door to let Him in. But whoever has answered and let Him in, they are not without the Bridegroom, and these things no longer apply, and this according to Christ's own word, as I have quoted.

Thus the answer is just as Jesus stated it, to those who do not have the Bridegroom, let them fast. But to them who have the Bridegroom, they "cannot."

Scott! :) Your answer insinuates that both Paul and the entire Corinthian church had not yet "let Christ in"! :)

If that's your theology, you're welcome to it, but we'll have to agree to disagree.

Reactions: bbyrd009

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Scott! :) Your answer insinuates that both Paul and the entire Corinthian church had not yet "let Christ in"! :)

If that's your theology, you're welcome to it, but we'll have to agree to disagree.
You are shocked, and you should be. But you are not being reasonable.

Did not Paul write the Corinthians because of their many issues unbecoming of Christ? Did he not say that he had become all things to all people that he might save some? Why then are you surprised that He would lead by example to those who had not yet known Christ in spirit? And now reading the account...are you just as they were, who told Paul “We have not so much as heard whether there is a Holy Spirit?

If so, then by all means preach these things to those who have not the knowledge. But to those who have Christ with them - they have no such need.

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There's no cause for argument here. We shouldn't argue with each other over what we eat or don't eat. Some fast from food and some fast in spirit if God decides they should, yet have never physically fasted. The two men may not understand each other, but they do what they do and stand or fall before the same Lord. So you shouldn't argue with a man if he eats or doesn't eat. For a man who is fasting in spirit, I have the opinion that for him to fast physically IF he is doing so to try to force God to end his fast in spirit, would be unseemly. He is on the unchosen fast in spirit (and it's always unchosen because a man will not choose to feel so miserable) because God wills it.