Problems with hearing the Lord

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Karl Peters

May 18, 2021
Fontana
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think every Christian that I have talked to have problems hearing the Lord at times. I know I do.

Once I told the Lord, "Jesus Christ, sometimes it's really hard to hear from You. "

I instantly heard a response from Him saying, "Karl, It's not hard to hear from Me. It's easy to hear from Me, but sometimes it's hard to believe that!"

That was true. It is easy to hear from Him, but is in fact often hard to believe that I can hear from Him. There are of course many other reasons we often don't hear from Him like we should, but just believing that we can hear from Him has got to be the biggest reason.

So hearing with faith means seeking our Lord Jesus Christ and believing He is there all the time to be heard from! Which is the same thing as saying, "Who so ever believes is Him..." (Jn 3:16)

Now I have found out that it is easier to believe that I can hear from Him for somethings, and it is hard to believe that i can hear from Him for other things. So I often start seeking Him and what He has to say by asking Him something I can easily believe. I might ask something like, "Is there anyone I need to forgive?", or "How do you feel about me, Lord?", or "Are you there with me, Lord?"

Then once I start hearing from Him it get easier to believe for the next answer, and the next, and the next. The more I get to hearing from Him the more faith I get that He is there. The more you keep hearing from Him the louder that small voice seems to be.

I do come across other problems though:

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sinning can be an obstacle in hearing from him. Also not serving God by attending church is another obstacle.

Reactions: Karl Peters

Karl Peters

May 18, 2021
Fontana
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Probably the most common reason I don't hear from the Lord is that I get busy. It's not really a question of hearing from Him, but rather a question of actually seeking Him and what He has to say. Basically, I just go back to leaning on my own understanding when I get busy.

Usually, I hear from Him about a dozen different times during the day. So, most of the day I am running around leaning on my own understanding! I know it actually doesn't have to be that way. There are times when I am able to keep Him close to me by having a conversation with Him for longer periods of time. Still, even the longer times are not that long. If I can keep up a conversation with the Lord for 20 or 30 minutes I am doing great. It is just so easy to get sidetracked.

One thing that I find incredible, is that I often get sidetracked by thinking about what He said, as opposed to what He is saying! Thinking about what He said is not the same thing as actually listening to Him.

It is especially easy to wonder away from Him by starting to think about what He said as opposed to what He is saying, because He says such interesting things. I am pretty sure He knows this really well. It's kind of like His words are something you eat and need time to digest what He says. So, I wind up snacking on what He has to say a number of times each day, as opposed to keeping Him close to me all day.

Of course, there is also my business and other things I have to work on that easily get me distracted. Yet they shouldn't. He actually loves talking to me about me business. If I stay close to Him during the day He will help me with pricing, with pulling stock, with purchases I need to make, and every other little aspect of my business. He also sometimes sends angels to also help, so I get to know the Kingdom of God better it I keep seeking the King and His kingdom.

Still - I am easily side tracked.

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think I’m going to like this thread Karl!

I used to get mad when people would say, if it’s in the Bible already, He’s not going to answer you! I would think, well maybe it IS in the Bible but I just haven’t understood it!

You proved them wrong right there, hah! Because trust (faith) is littered all THROUGH the Bible - ye of little trust, why is your trust so little, the hall of fame of trusters, don’t you remember I said if you trust and believe Me I would, etc, etc. And even though trust Me, believe Me, believe My words to you, is all over the place, He still answered you with it!

Karl Peters

May 18, 2021
Fontana
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sinning can be an obstacle in hearing from him. Also not serving God by attending church is another obstacle.

Yes, sinning seems to make it harder to hear from Him.

But that said; all unrighteousness is sin!

And really on He knows the right thing to do at all times. Whether we realize it or not, any time that we are not actually hearing from Him and doing what He asks, but instead are leaning on our own understanding, we are sinning. That is why Jesus, like He said, does and says only what the Father tells Him, and so also why He is the Word of God.

Therefore, not serving God means we are not listening to Him!

It is written that all things are held together with His hands. So, what about my business? It is held together by my buying, selling, pricing, accounting, and so on. So, is it just the church that is held together, meaning people attend the church, that is held together by Him???

The main reason I come here on the Christian forum and write about hearing Him, is that I hear Him asking me to do this. His people, Christians, too often just tend to think of Him as someone you meet by going to church on Sunday, or perhaps Saturday. It was never meant to be that way!!!

He has me do things at church, but not always. There have also been times when He has not had me attending church. He has also had me go to this church, then that church. Especially when He had me open up a Christian bookstore for Him. What He asks makes sense, but His thoughts are not our thoughts!!!!

We often get this idea of what He wants without actually seeking Him and listening to Him. And don't think pastors of church are always different. When He did have me open up that Christian bookstore, He had me hocking up with a lot of pastors around town. One pastor told me that he had only heard that small voice of the Lord's twice in His life. Another, who had really helped me a lot, told me that he used to hear the Lord quite a bit but probably hadn't heard the Lord's voice for almost ten years! They both had Christian churches. So they not only attended but they ran Christian churches, even though they didn't seek the voice of the Lord on the day called "Today"!

If anyone wants to really claim to be serving the Lord, they need to be listening to Him "Today"!

Heb 3:7 Therefore, just as the Holy Spirit says,
“TODAY IF YOU HEAR HIS VOICE,

Heb 3:15 while it is said,
DO NOT HARDEN YOUR HEARTS, AS WHEN THEY PROVOKED ME.”

Heb 3:13 But encourage one another day after day, as long as it is still called “Today,” so that none of you will be hardened by the deceitfulness of sin.

So don't be like the person, even pastor, who attends church regularly but doesn't hear the Lord voice "Today". I encourage you, don't be that way!

Reactions: dev553344

Karl Peters

May 18, 2021
Fontana
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think I’m going to like this thread Karl!

I used to get mad when people would say, if it’s in the Bible already, He’s not going to answer you! I would think, well maybe it IS in the Bible but I just haven’t understood it!

You proved them wrong right there, hah! Because trust (faith) is littered all THROUGH the Bible - ye of little trust, why is your trust so little, the hall of fame of trusters, don’t you remember I said if you trust and believe Me I would, etc, etc. And even though trust Me, believe Me, believe My words to you, is all over the place, He still answered you with it!

Nice post!!!

The Lord loves us, and so He decided to always be with us and never leave us. That is explained clearly in the Bible!! So why would someone ever think that He is not going to answer us? And especially about the Bible. Jesus Christ is called the Teacher, and He has given us a book (The Bible) and yet people have often thought to read the and still not seek the Teacher and what He has to say. It doesn't make sense now and it didn't then either. Which is why the Jesus told the Jews:

Jn 5:39 “You search the Scriptures because you think that in them you have eternal life; it is these that testify about Me; and you are unwilling to come to Me so that you may have life.

We need to talk to the Teacher about the textbook (the Bible) and stop leaning on our own understanding. Still, it is not just the textbook that he gave us. He give us life, so we need to talk to Him "Today" about our life today! Try going shopping with Him. It can be really interesting. And this is a good time of the year to talk to Him while shopping, isn't it?

I often, and always should, go shopping with Him this time of year, and I have so many incredible stories about getting the perfect gift. Still, He is strange.

I remember the Christmas when He was asking me to get my mom a folding card table. I told the Lord that she had one. I had seen it at her house!! His response was something like, 'Well, you asked Me and I am saying get her a card table." So I got the card table and put it in my car. On Christmas eve I drove over to my brother's house where we were all getting together, but I decided to leave the card table in the car. I was emabarrassed, because I knew she already had one. When I got a chance, I told my mom that her present was still in my car. So I took her outside and started to apologize before I even showed it to her. I explain that I thought the Lord had told me to get this present, then I opened the truck and showed her the card table. She stated laughing. It turned out that the Lord had just told her to give her card table to my brother, because he often entertained at his house and needed a folding card table when he entertained.

So the very day the Lord had asked her to give away her old card table He had me get her a new one to replace it.

People - we Christians have the correct message and the message is Jesus Christ - that we can hear from Him!!!

Reactions: amadeus

Karl Peters

May 18, 2021
Fontana
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Bible is a great way to read, see, and hear the Lord Jesus Christ, and God.

Be blessed,

Matthew G.

Jn 5:39 “You search the Scriptures because you think that in them you have eternal life; it is these that testify about Me; and you are unwilling to come to Me so that you may have life.

The Jews thought the Scriptures were a great way to read, see, and hear the Lord, but He told them they were unwilling to come to Him!!

There is nothing new under the sun, is there?

If you have read the Bible did you not read:

Gal 3:22 But the Scripture has shut up everyone under sin, so that the promise by faith in Jesus Christ might be given to those who believe.

So reading the Scriptures (your Bible) is not the promise by faith in Jesus Christ!

And He told those people who studied the Scriptures:

Jn 8:43 “Why do you not understand what I am saying? It is because you cannot hear My word.

They didn't understand that it is not the Bible but the Holy Spirit who brings His words to you!

Jn 6:63 “It is the Spirit who gives life; the flesh profits nothing; the words that I have spoken to you are spirit and are life.

So what has He told me about the Bible? So many things He has told me about the Bible! The first words I ever heard from Him were, "Read Your Bible", thereby proving that He was not the Bible but the One who asked me to read it. Reading it not hearing! What you read in the Scriptures is a record of what He told others, not you! That record, the Bible, was made so that you might listen to Him like they did!!

So what other things had He told me about the Bible? Well, hear a few other things that seem to apply at this moment:

WE DON’T HAVE UNDERSTANDING BECAUSE WE DON’T READ THE BIBLE WITH UNDERSTANDING, BUT OUR UNDERSTANDING…. UNDERSTAND???

THE SCRIPTURES ARE RIGHT, BUT THEY ARE NOT RIGHTEOUS. THEY HAVE NO ABILITY TO ACT. THEY ARE NOT ALIVE, BUT THE WORD OF GOD IS ALIVE AND ACTIVE.

WE DON’T USE THE LORD TO PREACH THE SCRIPTURES; WE USE THE SCRIPTURES TO PREACH THE LORD!!

WHAT TEACHER DOESN’T PUT A BOOK IN FRONT OF HIS STUDENTS TODAY; YET NOT JUST A BOOK BUT OVERHEAD TRANSPARENCIES, VISUALS, AND OTHER MATERIAL? FOR I TELL YOU TRULY, IF THEY ARE NOT LISTENING TO ME THEY ARE NOT MY PUPIL, THEY ARE NOT MY STUDENT; I TELL YOU TRULY, THEY ARE NOT MY DISCIPLE UNLESS THEY ARE HEARING FROM ME. SO DON’T TELL THEM TO READ THE BOOK, THEM TO TAKE THE CLASS!”

Now if anyone does not want to listen to the Lord Jesus Christ, they don't have to. It they do listen to Him, I am pretty sure that He will have them reading the Bible, but that so that He will teach them from it like a Teacher uses a textbook the Lord will use the Bible! Yet there were and still are those searching the Bible thinking it is going to give them eternal life, as opposed to actually seeking to hear the Lord by faith. The Word of God we are preaching is not the Bible! The Word of God we are preaching is near you (even when you left you Bible at home) - it isfound in your heart, and sometime in your mouth, because His Holy Spirit bring His words to your spirit and so you find His words to your spirit in your heart and mouth, and that is the Word of God we are preaching!!

Rom 10:6-8 But the righteousness based on faith speaks as follows: “DO NOT SAY IN YOUR HEART, ‘WHO WILL ASCEND INTO HEAVEN?’ (that is, to bring Christ down), or ‘WHO WILL DESCEND INTO THE ABYSS?’ (that is, to bring Christ up from the dead).” But what does it say? “THE WORD IS NEAR YOU, IN YOUR MOUTH AND IN YOUR HEART”—that is, the word of faith which we are preaching,

If you don't understand that means you can have a personal relationship with Jesus Christ, as in talking back and forth with Him, then you have not been reading the Bible with Understanding (The Teacher) but with your understanding - understand?

I would recommend you start seeking Jesus Christ and what He has to say to you.

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Never once heard any audible voice. Particular scripture verses come to mind at times out of no where, that pertain to the issue at the time I am praying to Him. Or, the time one of my sisters was driving me crazy on the phone (well, she always does, lol) LOVE her dearly, just cannot listen to her go on and on about this YouTube preacher or that YouTube self proclaimed prophet, etc.
So, one day I was just a listening away rolling my eyes on my side and praying God get me off the phone somehow (as usual) anyhow, I heard "in my mind" the words "just love her". And, of course I believed that to be God. Then two other times, once during this past summer actually, I was stressin, as usual, reading all sorts of stuff on line as I don't watch tv.
Convinced myself that I was not saved and never would be cause God did not choose me (Btw- I am NOT a Calvinist). So, through yet more tears, I reached out to Him in such confusion and heard (not audibly)
"He who began a good work in you, is faithful to complete it until the day of The Lords return"

The most profound "hearing" from Him was a good 7 or 8 years back...On the floor, prone before Him, begging Him to take away something from me as it was something I will call a "thorn in the side" and this so goes with the verse I heard that day:
"My grace is sufficient for you"
So, would that not also be considered "hearing from the Lord"?
Great topic Karl.

Cassandra

Sep 24, 2021
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Karl, I agree with you that the Lord teaches us through the Bible, and He prompts us to do things for Him.

I see pastors on TV say that God talks to them, and one stopped his sermon, and said "Yes, Lord", and god was supposed to be talking with him. These guys have had failed prophecies, fakey healings, so , who ever is speaking to you, it is OK to check against the Word.

Isa 8:20 "To the law and to the testimony: if they speak not according to this word, it is because there is no light in them."

I Cor 11:13-15
13 For such men are false apostles, deceitful workers, masquerading as apostles of Christ. 14And no wonder, for Satan himself masquerades as an angel of light. 15 It is not surprising, then, if his servants masquerade as servants of righteousness. Their end will correspond to their actions.

Karl Peters

May 18, 2021
Fontana
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Never once heard any audible voice. Particular scripture verses come to mind at times out of no where, that pertain to the issue at the time I am praying to Him. Or, the time one of my sisters was driving me crazy on the phone (well, she always does, lol) LOVE her dearly, just cannot listen to her go on and on about this YouTube preacher or that YouTube self proclaimed prophet, etc.
So, one day I was just a listening away rolling my eyes on my side and praying God get me off the phone somehow (as usual) anyhow, I heard "in my mind" the words "just love her". And, of course I believed that to be God. Then two other times, once during this past summer actually, I was stressin, as usual, reading all sorts of stuff on line as I don't watch tv.
Convinced myself that I was not saved and never would be cause God did not choose me (Btw- I am NOT a Calvinist). So, through yet more tears, I reached out to Him in such confusion and heard (not audibly)
"He who began a good work in you, is faithful to complete it until the day of The Lords return"

The most profound "hearing" from Him was a good 7 or 8 years back...On the floor, prone before Him, begging Him to take away something from me as it was something I will call a "thorn in the side" and this so goes with the verse I heard that day:
"My grace is sufficient for you"
So, would that not also be considered "hearing from the Lord"?
Great topic Karl.

God is spirit, so the Holy we are talking about it not sound waves!! It never was!!

One of the problems we have with hearing the words of the Lord is a result of living in the flesh!!

Because we live in the flesh we always tend to think in fleshy terms. Thus, we think God is going to be heard via sound waves coming to our physical ears! The Word of God we preach is not found in our physical ears! It is found in our spiritual ears with means we find the Word of God in our hearts, and sometime even in our mouth!

We find this covered over and over in the Scriptures. Moses told the people His voice was near them, in their hears and mouths. Paul told the people His Word was found in their hearts and mouths. Jesus explain that the words He spoke to them were from the Holy Spirit and were spirit! We say we read the Bible, but somehow missed all this.

There was a reason that the people Moses took to the mountain of God heard thunder where as Moses heard actual words that God spoke. The reason was that God spoke via His Holy Spirit to their spirits, and the people just picked it up as thunder because they didn't want to hear from God. Doing that was scarry to them! The people said, "Let not God speak to us", even thought He was calling them to be His people. Moses on the other hand wanted to hear from God and what He had to say to Him, so Moses did hear from God and in words!

The same was seen with Saul on the road to Damascus. Saul/Paul heard words from the Lord yet those with him picked up something in their sprit) but not the words.

Jesus explained He stands at the door and knocks and if anyone hears His voice and opens up to Him, He will come into them and eat with them. He words to us are food to our spirit - and anyone can hear from Him. Indeed, He is just standing there trying to speak to them. So the question is more of; are we going to seek what He has to say to us or are we going to say in our hearts, "Let not God speak to us", like the people He called to the mountain of God.

My friends, Christians are being called to the mountain of God to listen to Him!! But don't keep thinking in fleshy/physical terms!! God is spirit! His Kingdom, including the mountain of God, is in your midst!! So you hear from Him in words that come to you from the Holy Spirit and are found in your heart! You might also hear them coming out of your mouth, then they might be audible to you, otherwise He does not use sound waves, He uses His Holy Spirit to talk to you!!

Reactions: Nancy and Cassandra

Karl Peters

May 18, 2021
Fontana
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Karl, I agree with you that the Lord teaches us through the Bible, and He prompts us to do things for Him.

I see pastors on TV say that God talks to them, and one stopped his sermon, and said "Yes, Lord", and god was supposed to be talking with him. These guys have had failed prophecies, fakey healings, so , who ever is speaking to you, it is OK to check against the Word.

Isa 8:20 "To the law and to the testimony: if they speak not according to this word, it is because there is no light in them."

I Cor 11:13-15
13 For such men are false apostles, deceitful workers, masquerading as apostles of Christ. 14And no wonder, for Satan himself masquerades as an angel of light. 15 It is not surprising, then, if his servants masquerade as servants of righteousness. Their end will correspond to their actions.

Yes, this is so right - but we are also trying to save the religious person who are pretending and not actually seeking the Lord!!

There are indeed many very good pastors in a number of places who are hearing the Lord. I mentioned two that really were not seeking Him as they should, but they had both heard Him at some point, just not "Today". The pastor over the church the Lord currently has me going to regularly goes walking and talking with the Lord in the nearby mountains, where he happens to live. There are plenty just like my pastor.

Still, we are all just people and we have our problems. And hearing the Lord like we should is our biggest problem. It's mine also. I do hear from the Lord about a dozen times a day, but that is very poor!! Think about it! Our Lord and God, Jesus Christ, is with us all day long so, how often should we really be hearing from Him?

Paul said he took all thoughts captive to Him, which is a whole lot better than me. Still, I hear from Him on those days called "Today" - And I hope to be better at it.

Reactions: Nancy and Cassandra

Karl Peters

May 18, 2021
Fontana
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Prayer and the Scriptures daily are indeed vital.

Prayer is or should be a conversation with our Lord Jesus Christ!!!

That is absolutely vital!!

Yet if a conversation and if in fact He is your Lord - then listening to what He actually says to you is what you are to do!!!

There is a very good change that He is going to tell you to read something in the Bible so He can go over it with you - but He might also have other plans based on what is the right thing to do that day!!

How does someone not understand this?? Is it because they don't actually seek Him, but have made prayer about sending a request off to some far off placed called heaven - like a person might have their child write to Santa Claus in the North Pole?

Romans 10: 6-11 But the righteousness based on faith speaks as follows: “DO NOT SAY IN YOUR HEART, ‘WHO WILL ASCEND INTO HEAVEN?’ (that is, to bring Christ down), or ‘WHO WILL DESCEND INTO THE ABYSS?’ (that is, to bring Christ up from the dead).” But what does it say? “THE WORD IS NEAR YOU, IN YOUR MOUTH AND IN YOUR HEART”—that is, the word of faith which we are preaching, that if you confess with your mouth Jesus as Lord, and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved; for with the heart a person believes, resulting in righteousness, and with the mouth he confesses, resulting in salvation. For the Scripture says, “WHOEVER BELIEVES IN HIM WILL NOT BE DISAPPOINTED.”

We are believing in HIM, Jesus Christ!! And we are believing is raised from the dead, alive, and so His words to us are near us!! We are believing that He is there with us to tells us what we need to do "Today" And with that belief we find that He is there with us and does talk to us, and does give us instructions, as our Lord! He is not dead! He is not in some far off placed called Heaven, so that we have to send off our prayers to Him hoping that at some point He will get them - like a letter sent off to a far-off fictional character.

So it is that His sheep hear His voice, and the day to do it is "Today", since He is with us!

Heb 3:7 Therefore, just as the Holy Spirit says,

Of course, we hear His voice "Today", because the word is near us, in our hearts and mouths.

Yet some write prayer books, instead of just talking with Him. Some may prayer and reading the Scriptures a religious rule as opposed to actually talking to Him and listen to His words with are near you! Some search the Scriptures thinking that will give them eternal life as opposed to actually seeking Him and what He - the Great I Am - as to say to them.

Moses went over this with a people who said, "Let not God speak to us" - Paul went over this with a people who Jesus said did not hear His voice. Isaiah started off by writing:

Is 1:2 Listen, O heavens, and hear, O earth; For the LORD speaks,
“Sons I have reared and brought up, But they have revolted against Me.
“An ox knows its owner, And a donkey its master’s manger,
But Israel does not know, My people do not understand.”

An the Pharisees, like Saul, studied the writings faithfully, prayed, and kept to the traditions, but when the Lord spoke Saul had no idea who He was.

Acts 9: 4-5 and he fell to the ground and heard a voice saying to him, “Saul, Saul, why are you persecuting Me?” And he said, “Who are You, Lord?” And He said, “I am Jesus whom you are persecuting,

Now the first words I heard the Lord tell me were, "Read Your Bible", and so I did. I learned a lot from reading it, and the most important thing I learned since then was that He is always with me - so I can talk to Him. He normally likes to have me spend some time in the morning with me. So I sit in my favorite chair, I tend to pray the Lord's prayer with some extras and proceed to ask Him what He wants to go over. He wants me to have my Bible present at that time - but not always does it go that way!! He usually starts talking to me when I get up, and sometimes He wants that we should take a walk and talk, as opposed to talking to me while I sit in that chair. I don't carry my Bible with me on the walks, but we talk as we walk. There have been times when He has had me skip all that for different reasons - like perhaps I have a lot of things like my business or sometimes He wants a post made on this forum. Not every day is the same but everyday called "Today" I listen to Him!

People - it is not about knowing your Bible, it is about knowing Him, Jesus Christ, the Lord of lords and King of kings!!!

You will almost certainly get to know much about what is written in the Bible, if you do actually get to know Him. But if you think it is about the Bible, why then to you not believe what is written in it? It explains that you must seek Him and listen to Him!! It explains that His sheep hear His voice, and that He leads them out with His voice. And Jesus told those people in front of Him while He was in the flesh:

Jn 54:46,47 “For if you believed Moses, you would believe Me, for he wrote about Me. “But if you do not believe his writings, how will you believe My words?”

If they had believed Moses, they would have known Him before He took on flesh and came down out of heaven, because they would have been hearing from Him then. Anna knew Him. Simeon knew Him even though He just appear as a small child to them - because they had been listening to the word of God, as opposed to leaning on their own understanding! Yet those religious people who depended on their pious prayers, their leaning their study of the Scriptures, and all the other religious routines they had did not know Him. The routines might be helpful, but if helpful they help you to remember to actually seek Him and what he has to say to you!

Is 29:12 Then the book will be given to the one who is illiterate, saying, “Please read this.” And he will say, “I cannot read.”

Is 29:13 Then the Lord said,
“Because this people draw near with their words
And honor Me with their lip service,
But they remove their hearts far from Me,
And their reverence for Me consists of tradition learned by rote,

Can we not read the Bible and understand it tells us to listen to the Lord?

It is the conversations back and forth with Him by faith that saves us, because faith comes from hearing a word from Him, not from saying a prayer by routine or from reading your Bible!

Is 1:15“So when you spread out your hands in prayer, I will hide My eyes from you;
Yes, even though you multiply prayers, I will not listen.

So it is not the prayer of the reading but the reasoning back and forth with Him, which requires you listen to Him!

Is 1:18 “Come now, and let us reason together,” Says the LORD,
“Though your sins are as scarlet, They will be as white as snow;
Though they are red like crimson, They will be like wool.

So your prayers mean nothing if not accompanied with the faith that He is there to answer you with His voice! And your routine of reading your Bible daily means nothing if you don't seek Him for teaching! His words are spirit, not ink on pages, and His words your personally hear from His Holy Spirit mean life to you!

Jn 6:63 “It is the Spirit who gives life; the flesh profits nothing; the words that I have spoken to you are spirit and are life.

Still the religious person thinks their religious routines will save them. They might say Jesus Christ is Lord, but they don't confess Him as their Lord because they don't actually get instructions from Him! If they did they would know you can actually say that you have to read the Bible every day, because He makes that decision not them, if He is actually their Lord!

Reactions: Pathfinder7

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think every Christian that I have talked to have problems hearing the Lord at times. I know I do.

Once I told the Lord, "Jesus Christ, sometimes it's really hard to hear from You. "

I instantly heard a response from Him saying, "Karl, It's not hard to hear from Me. It's easy to hear from Me, but sometimes it's hard to believe that!"

That was true. It is easy to hear from Him, but is in fact often hard to believe that I can hear from Him. There are of course many other reasons we often don't hear from Him like we should, but just believing that we can hear from Him has got to be the biggest reason.

So hearing with faith means seeking our Lord Jesus Christ and believing He is there all the time to be heard from! Which is the same thing as saying, "Who so ever believes is Him..." (Jn 3:16)

Now I have found out that it is easier to believe that I can hear from Him for somethings, and it is hard to believe that i can hear from Him for other things. So I often start seeking Him and what He has to say by asking Him something I can easily believe. I might ask something like, "Is there anyone I need to forgive?", or "How do you feel about me, Lord?", or "Are you there with me, Lord?"

Then once I start hearing from Him it get easier to believe for the next answer, and the next, and the next. The more I get to hearing from Him the more faith I get that He is there. The more you keep hearing from Him the louder that small voice seems to be.

I do come across other problems though:
I suspect we spend our entire lives learning how to hear the Lord. Maybe part of the problem is that we don't want to believe everything he tells us.

Reactions: Karl Peters

Karl Peters

May 18, 2021
Fontana
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I suspect we spend our entire lives learning how to hear the Lord. Maybe part of the problem is that we don't want to believe everything he tells us.

I like the post, but perhaps it is better to say that we spend our entire lives learning that we need to hear the Lord more.

Of course, the more we hear from the Lord the better we get at hearing Him and understanding Him. Yet, it seems to me that our problem has more to do with our thinking that we are smart enough to not need to hear from Him - "pride" in a word - is our problem!

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I like the post, but perhaps it is better to say that we spend our entire lives learning that we need to hear the Lord more.

Of course, the more we hear from the Lord the better we get at hearing Him and understanding Him. Yet, it seems to me that our problem has more to do with our thinking that we are smart enough to not need to hear from Him - "pride" in a word - is our problem!
And then each of us is different.