Proof: You were only forgiven of your past sins!

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Sin is the power behind the carnal man exerting himself. How much opinion mongering is going on in these threads? How much judgmentalism?

The flesh..in the bible..(NT) is a term that signifies the power that a man will use to make his way in the world.

When that power is mixed with the truth...we get iniquity. Iniquity is promoting an aspect of the truth..but by the power of the flesh.

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
IMO, we have been given to help us ...
1) the Holy Spirit
2) the new creation
3) the word of God
IMO, no excuses to not be sanctified (made holy).

You haven't listed all the weapons arrayed against us.
1) False spirits
2) lies and half-truths
3) private bible interpretations
4) the power of the principalities in the world.
5) the weakness of the flesh
6) ignorance

Zachary

Sep 24, 2015
B.C., Canada
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Romans 8 - reading the whole chapter - expresses it well.
You stated ... John 3:16 is a great verse, full of the Gospel.

Spirit-filled believers have researched John's "believe".
John's "believe" must mean believe, have faith in, trust, and obey.
Remember that old song, "Trust and obey"?
There is NO English word that even comes close to encompassing all of this!
The translators just use "believe".
The rest of the NT explains really what John means by "believe"!

Some Greek words in the NT have somewhat different meanings than in the secular world.
Some Greek words can have up to 40 different meaning depending on the context.

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
The truth is like a wheel within a wheel. It works on 2 levels. The outer righteousness and the inner holiness.

So then the statement "all that is not of faith is sin" works on those 2 levels.

1. If we know something is wrong and do it anyway...we go against our own faith. This is a sin against righteousness.

2. I f we do something that is not of the faith OF Jesus and claim that it is good....then we sin against holiness.

Zachary

Sep 24, 2015
B.C., Canada
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
We overcome the flesh (power) by the Spirit (power). Romans 8 in a nutshell. :)
IMO, you are ignoring our part in it all.'
The indwelling Holy Spirit doesn't do everything.
We must co-operate with Him by the way we live.
We are not robots.

Reactions: Helen

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
IMO, you are ignoring our part in it all.'
The indwelling Holy Spirit doesn't do everything.
We must co-operate with Him by the way we live.
We are not robots.

I did say...we...which means we must still do it. Many are deceived into thinking I am preaching a salvation of works...rather than a salvation that works. :)

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I’m well aware of the conflict. I experience it too. But, careful, in saying a new creature created in Christ sins...meaning sin will carry on into the new creation. To imply all remains under Adam instead of under Christ rule. God says sin will be no more in the new creation; no more raging seas. Peace.

Ephesians 2:8-12
[8] For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: [9] Not of works, lest any man should boast. [10] For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them. [11] Wherefore remember, that ye being in time past Gentiles in the flesh, who are called Uncircumcision by that which is called the Circumcision in the flesh made by hands; [12] That at that time ye were without Christ, being aliens from the commonwealth of Israel, and strangers from the covenants of promise, having no hope, and without God in the world:

Philippians 3:17-21
[17] Brethren, be followers together of me, and mark them which walk so as ye have us for an ensample. [18] (For many walk, of whom I have told you often, and now tell you even weeping, that they are the enemies of the cross of Christ: [19] Whose end is destruction, whose God is their belly, and whose glory is in their shame, who mind earthly things.) [20] For our conversation is in heaven; from whence also we look for the Saviour, the Lord Jesus Christ: [21] Who shall change our vile body, that it may be fashioned like unto his glorious body, according to the working whereby he is able even to subdue all things unto himself.

Hebrews 11:15-16
[15] And truly, if they had been mindful of that country from whence they came out, they might have had opportunity to have returned.(to the old) [16] But now they desire a better country , that is, an heavenly: wherefore God is not ashamed to be called their God: for he hath prepared for them a city.

Philippians 2:4-5
[4] Look not every man on his own things, but every man also on the things of others. [5] Let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus:
—how can you look on the things of others while you mind what you came out of and left behind as if you desire to return to the old? If you are always minding the flesh instead of mindful of the power and Spirit of God.

Consider: your OP shows there is no forgiven sins (future) in a new creature...all has been made new in Christ. Don’t dirty it by calling what is created in Christ unclean.

...I am with you on that...it is often a lonely place to be...
But then again...many do not "see" the nature change...."we" in and of ourselves "miss the mark" sometimes...but the new man "in Christ" is just that..."in Christ"...who has overcome all things.

We have here both here, our condition in the old flesh and our Position in The New...Paul tells us to "Reckon ourselves dead indeed to sin...and alive unto God " ...so.....I do. :D

Reactions: VictoryinJesus

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Jesus is God in person. He has a fully divine nature and a fully human nature (without sin).

Not during the 33 years.
It was the man Adam who dropped the ball...it was the Last Adam who reversed the fall...as a man.
He HAD be be man when tested, or He could not have died in our place. He had laid all aside...

CoreIssue

Oct 15, 2018
USA
christiantalkzone.net
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Romans 7:18 New International Version (NIV)
18 For I know that good itself does not dwell in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out.

D

Dave L

Not during the 33 years.
It was the man Adam who dropped the ball...it was the Last Adam who reversed the fall...as a man.
He HAD be be man when tested, or He could not have died in our place. He had laid all aside...
If Jesus was fully man, he had two personalities. The Ecumenical Creeds say he is one divine person (God) with a fully human nature. And a fully divine nature.

D

Dave L

I like your post, Dave.
But, what do we do with the 20+ NT verses which do obviously
warn about losing eternal life, IF we choose to continually sin
(IMO, without sincere repentance).
Another 80+ NT verses hint at this w/o actually coming out
and threaten loss of salvation.
I treat the second group as simply confirming the first group.
I take the warning passages seriously and I realize if I violate them, I'm not one of God's elect. So we judge and confirm our salvation by our overcoming.

D

Dave L

I'm not talking about me but about Jesus and abiding in Him. It's about any who abide in Him. Anyone who abides in Christ doesn't sin. A holy person doesn't sin. But of course it is still possible to sin...if we are not fully weaned from this world.

The evidence of sinlessness in a person who abides in Christ is that they are without any kind of spot or wrinkle. They are as Jesus in this world.

1 John 4:17 Love has been perfected among us in this: that we may have boldness in the day of judgment; because as He is, so are we in this world.
But, how many of us curb luxury, sell all we have and give to the needy. Because we love them as we do ourselves?

Zachary

Sep 24, 2015
B.C., Canada
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I take the warning passages seriously and I realize if I violate them, I'm not one of God's elect. So we judge and confirm our salvation by our overcoming.
So, the BACs who are involved in habitual unrepentant sin are NOT God's elect.
Do they become God's elect, if they repent and walk the narrow path until death?
So, we don't know who the elect really are until the END, do we?

D

Dave L

So, the BACs who are involved in habitual unrepentant sin are NOT God's elect.
Do they become God's elect, if they repent and walk the narrow path until death?
So, we don't know who the elect really are until the END, do we?
The way I see it, you cannot become elect. It is God's choice. But the elect overcome sin. If we fall into sin, we have no faith because our heart condemns us. And no assurance we are saved. Holiness instead verifies our election.

CoreIssue

Oct 15, 2018
USA
christiantalkzone.net
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If Jesus was fully man, he had two personalities. The Ecumenical Creeds say he is one divine person (God) with a fully human nature. And a fully divine nature.
Fully man, fully God and both at the same time per the bible.

That creeds were written by Catholics.

John 1 states that clearly.