Proof: You were only forgiven of your past sins!

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
A reading of John's First Epistle, with its themes of assurance, walking in the light and the advocacy and cleansing work of the Lord Jesus, can soon obliterate any notion that we can supposedly be saved on Monday, then lost on Tuesday, then saved again on Wednesday, then lost again on Thursday, etc.

Reactions: Dave L

Zachary

Sep 24, 2015
B.C., Canada
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
The way I see it, you cannot become elect. It is God's choice. But the elect overcome sin. If we fall into sin, we have no faith because our heart condemns us. And no assurance we are saved. Holiness instead verifies our election.
My goodness, did I ever intimate that I get to choose that I am elect? WOW!

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
As the OP states: “Proof you are only forgiven for past sins.”

A new creature (created in Christ by God) does not sin. And never will. There is no sacrifice remaining for a new creature. “only forgiven of past sins”. A new creature does not belong to this world but is under God.

Ezekiel 11:19-21
(The new creature) [19] And I will give them one heart, and I will put a new spirit within you; and I will take the stony heart out of their flesh, and will give them an heart of flesh: [20] That they may walk in my statutes, and keep mine ordinances, and do them: and they shall be my people, and I will be their God. (the old) [21] But as for them whose heart walketh after the heart of their detestable things and their abominations, I will recompense their way upon their own heads, saith the Lord God .

God will recompense on their “own heads”, as for the new creature created in Christ: the recompense was on their head which is Christ. It is finished.

As the OP states “Proof you are only forgiven for past sins.” What is past has passed away, all is new. There is no sacrifice for the new creature created in Christ. Hebrews 6:4-6
[4] For it is impossible for those who were once enlightened, and have tasted of the heavenly gift, and were made partakers of the Holy Ghost, [5] And have tasted the good word of God, and the powers of the world to come, [6] If they shall fall away, to renew them again unto repentance; seeing they crucify to themselves the Son of God afresh, and put him to an open shame.

Ezekiel 36:27-28
[27] And I will put my spirit within you, and cause you to walk in my statutes, and ye shall keep my judgments, and do them . [28] And ye shall dwell in the land that I gave to your fathers; and ye shall be my people, and I will be your God.

If God said it then it will not fail. The new creature created in Christ does not sin.
Hebrews 9:14 How much more shall the blood of Christ, who through the eternal Spirit offered himself without spot to God, purge your conscience from dead works to serve the living God?
We do not receive our forgiveness in increments. Like you said, we are new creatures in Christ, if indeed we are of Him. I still will in my head, or out repent of like, an unkind thought about someone, a selfish thought and such. It is hard to get away from the "Oh please forgive me Lord's" over and over again...He died once for all and He ain't doin it again! lol...Just remember how many sins you committed before He died-NONE- for all of them from the beginning to the end. "God remembers our sins no more" "He removes them as far as the East is from the West..." So, a believer who has a true relationship with Jesus no longer WANT'S to sin so, our lives should reflect what we preach and, not saying we cannot ever fall into sin but, a true Christ follower will not LIVE IN sin. JMO :)

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
...I am with you on that...it is often a lonely place to be...
But then again...many do not "see" the nature change...."we" in and of ourselves "miss the mark" sometimes...but the new man "in Christ" is just that..."in Christ"...who has overcome all things.

We have here both here, our condition in the old flesh and our Position in The New...Paul tells us to "Reckon ourselves dead indeed to sin...and alive unto God " ...so.....I do. :D
You said
“we” in and of ourselves “miss the mark” sometimes...but the new man “in Christ” is just that...”in Christ” ...who has overcome all things. —amen! I still learn something new everyday, a correction to what I thought I already knew. returning to the OP which contained 2 Peter 1:10-11
[10] Wherefore the rather, brethren, give diligence to make your calling and election sure: for if ye do these things, ye shall never fall: [11] For so an entrance shall be ministered unto you abundantly into the everlasting kingdom of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ.

The “IF” is major (an opinion)...all the times we are urged to make “sure” our calling, to test the fruit, to be honest and make “sure”. It is definitely more than a one time prayer and then you go back to life as normal. But still at the end of the day the only way I can lay my head down peacefully at night without anxiety or fear or dread....is in the “if you do these things, you shall never fall.” ...”for an entrance shall be ministered unto you abundantly into the everlasting kingdom of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ.” ...an entrance and you will never fall. (In Christ).

Bless you And your family Bygrace.

Last edited:
Reactions: Helen

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You need to consider the historic creeds. You end up with a false Christ otherwise.
I don't know if everyone would agree with that statement. There are a number of folks who don't agree with the post-biblical Creeds, but do very much believe the Bible and have a great relationship with Christ.

D

Dave L

I don't know if everyone would agree with that statement. There are a number of folks who don't agree with the post-biblical Creeds, but do very much believe the Bible and have a great relationship with Christ.
The creeds were hammered out through intense debate by the most learned. And they encapsulate what the bible says about Christ and the trinity. We are fools to ignore them. And we can end up worshiping a false Christ without them.

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The creeds were hammered out through intense debate by the most learned. And they encapsulate what the bible says about Christ and the trinity. We are fools to ignore them. And we can end up worshiping a false Christ without them.
Again, there are a number of people who disagree with that, and do not believe salvation is dependent on accepting these statements written by men.

Reactions: Nancy

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
At the moment you were born-again …
you were only forgiven of the sins you had committed up to that point in time!

Disagree.

You are attempting to apply scripture that does not apply to a man Born Again IN Christ.

The OLD MAN, was born in sin and commits sin.

The NEW MAN, does not commit sin.

He who HAS become forgiven, washed, sanctified, restored, covered, born again;

IS made WHOLE;
HAS overcome;
HAS the indwelling Spirit of God;
IS a new creature;
Can not again Commit Sin.

God does NOT dwell IN SIN.

Glory To God,
Taken

Reactions: Helen

Zachary

Sep 24, 2015
B.C., Canada
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I have no faith in your so-called "learned".
IMO, it's all about being taught by the Holy Spirit.
The baptism with the Holy Spirit helps a lot.

Reactions: Jane_Doe22

CoreIssue

Oct 15, 2018
USA
christiantalkzone.net
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have no faith in your so-called "learned".
IMO, it's all about being taught by the Holy Spirit.
The baptism with the Holy Spirit helps a lot.
As well as being part of the process creating the catholic church, which wrote the theology of amillennialism, the pope, Mary, purgatory and a laundry list of other errors.

Zachary

Sep 24, 2015
B.C., Canada
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Taken,
How could you possibly be born-again
and think that believers cannot sin.
Please read 1 John 1 and 2.

CoreIssue

Oct 15, 2018
USA
christiantalkzone.net
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Taken,
How could you possibly be born-again
and think that believers cannot sin.
Please read 1 John 1 and 2.

“I am of the flesh, sold into slavery under sin. I do not understand my own actions. For I do not do what I want, but I do the very thing I hate.… I can will what is right, but I cannot do it. For I do not do the good I want, but the evil I do not want is what I do” (Rom 7:14–15, 19).

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
@VictoryinJesus

I wanted to do a bit more than just "give you a like" on your post #67 that you wrote to me...
So, I wrote an inbox message back to you...and at the end it says
" This Member does not allow messages." So it was all a waste of time. :D

Then I remembered that I had done that once before! Ha!

Bless you....Helen

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
If Jesus was fully man, he had two personalities. The Ecumenical Creeds say he is one divine person (God) with a fully human nature. And a fully divine nature.

If that be the case...then where is the Victory!
It was obviously already a slam dunk ...
...and why demand of something that He has help doing if He was God all the time anyway...

You can't have it both ways.

....36_20_21.gif

Reactions: Nancy
B

brakelite

The scripture says we are to walk "as He walked". How did Jesus walk? First, without sin. But how? Not because He was the Son of God, else He could not be our example. He walked by faith in the Father. As He said in His prayer to the Father in John 17...thou in Me and I in Thee...we are to be "in Christ" and He in us...that we may all be one. This is how we overcome. By walking in the Spirit...abiding in the Vine and bearing fruits of righteousness.
The question then is asked, how did Christ, being God, walk by faith and not in His own power? By laying aside those prerogatives of deity allowing Himself to be clothed with humanity. His divine nature was veiled so that in no way could we claim He had an advantage that we could not have. Peter tells us how we are to overcome. By partaking of the divine nature by faith...which is what Christ did. Trusting in the strength of the Father to overcome, just as we are to trust in the strength of Christ as He ministers as our High Priest in heaven mediating and praying to the Father on our behalf. The Just shall live by faith.
This never should be construed as intimating that we don't have a part to play in our overcoming. We must discipline ourselves to do all in our power to remain in Him. Prayer...reading and studying the Word...fellowshipping with like minded disciples...searching ourselves if there be anything that could potentially harm our relationship with Christ and the Father...allowing the Spirit of God to reveal all within that offends and mars the character, presenting ourselves as living sacrifices, allowing God to refine, to mould, to recreate us in the perfect image of His Son.
Our justification through the shed blood of Christ confirmed our right to eternal life. Our sanctification, which takes a lifetime, confirms our fitness for eternal life. It is in this life we must overcome, just as Jesus overcame and is now seated at the right hand of the Father.

Revelation 3:17-21 Because thou sayest, I am rich, and increased with goods, and have need of nothing; and knowest not that thou art wretched, and miserable, and poor, and blind, and naked: I counsel thee to buy of me gold tried in the fire, that thou mayest be rich; and white raiment, that thou mayest be clothed, and that the shame of thy nakedness do not appear; and anoint thine eyes with eyesalve, that thou mayest see. As many as I love, I rebuke and chasten: be zealous therefore, and repent. Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with me. To him that overcometh will I grant to sit with me in my throne, even as I also overcame, and am set down with my Father in his throne.

1John2:15-17 Love not the world, neither the things that are in the world. If any man love the world, the love of the Father is not in him. For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh, and the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life, is not of the Father, but is of the world. And the world passeth away, and the lust thereof: but he that doeth the will of God abideth for ever.

John 16:33 These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world.

1John3:1-11 ¶ Behold, what manner of love the Father hath bestowed upon us, that we should be called the sons of God: therefore the world knoweth us not, because it knew him not. Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is. And every man that hath this hope in him purifieth himself, even as he is pure. ¶ Whosoever committeth sin transgresseth also the law: for sin is the transgression of the law. And ye know that he was manifested to take away our sins; and in him is no sin. Whosoever abideth in him sinneth not: whosoever sinneth hath not seen him, neither known him. Little children, let no man deceive you: he that doeth righteousness is righteous, even as he is righteous. He that committeth sin is of the devil; for the devil sinneth from the beginning. For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that he might destroy the works of the devil. Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin; for his seed remaineth in him: and he cannot sin, because he is born of God.
In this the children of God are manifest, and the children of the devil: whosoever doeth not righteousness is not of God, neither he that loveth not his brother. ¶ For this is the message that ye heard from the beginning, that we should love one another.

2Peter1:1-11 ¶ Simon Peter, a servant and an apostle of Jesus Christ, to them that have obtained like precious faith with us through the righteousness of God and our Saviour Jesus Christ: Grace and peace be multiplied unto you through the knowledge of God, and of Jesus our Lord, According as his divine power hath given unto us all things that pertain unto life and godliness, through the knowledge of him that hath called us to glory and virtue: Whereby are given unto us exceeding great and precious promises: that by these ye might be partakers of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption that is in the world through lust. ¶ And beside this, giving all diligence, add to your faith virtue; and to virtue knowledge; And to knowledge temperance; and to temperance patience; and to patience godliness; And to godliness brotherly kindness; and to brotherly kindness charity. For if these things be in you, and abound, they make you that ye shall neither be barren nor unfruitful in the knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ. But he that lacketh these things is blind, and cannot see afar off, and hath forgotten that he was purged from his old sins. Wherefore the rather, brethren, give diligence to make your calling and election sure: for if ye do these things, ye shall never fall: For so an entrance shall be ministered unto you abundantly into the everlasting kingdom of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ.