Proof: You were only forgiven of your past sins!

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Zachary

Sep 24, 2015
B.C., Canada
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Since all sin was paid for on the cross, what sin can you commit that Jesus hasn't already paid for and would have to be put back on the cross for?
We wish that you would comment on the verses in the OP.
They say your previous sins were forgiven.

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If Jesus was not 100% God and 100% man, the human part most surely was tempted by Satan in the desert. If He was fully and only God, there would be no temptation.

Disagree.

Temptation is one of those funky words, that is used to describe something that can apply, to two persons.

The Tempter is the one who initiates the temptation. Which is basically presenting another with an Idea, in hopes the other person will go along with their Idea.

The "Tempted" is the other person "hearing" the Temptors Idea.

It does not mean the other person Went along with the Idea.

To be Tempted, means several things.
1) to be approached by a Tempter.
2) to hear the Tempters Idea.
3) to consider the Tempters Idea.
4) to act on the Tempters Idea.
5) to outright reject the Tempters Idea.
6) to outright not act on the Tempers Idea.

Thus a person Tempted, does not concretely mean the other person DID or DID NOT "act" on the Tempters Temptation.

Nothing in Scripture reveals Jesus, Considered or Acted on Satan's Temptations.

Bottom line: Jesus was not accountable for The Tempter's (Satan's) Ideas/Temptations.

Jesus Having a Tempter TRY to get Jesus to consider or act on the Tempter's Idea....
Was simply a Lesson for mankind in HOW TO handle a Tempter WHOSE intent is sway a man Away from Gods teaching.

Men think up in their own mind enough stupid things they have to contend with....
WARNING....there are plenty of others around with stupid ideas, Against God, that lurk around trying to Get men to fall for their stupid ideas.

In the OT, men "tempted" thee Lord God on more than one occasion.

Paraphrasing; God told them to knock it off, it was a failed attempt, that they could not get Him to fall for their deceptions...(ie Temptation)

Thus God simply said, thou shalt not Tempt thy Lord thy God.

(In short, dudes, you are waiting your time.)

It was an important lesson that Jesus taught, BY He being the example, with a Tempter being a power, greater than Men.
(OT revealed God being tempted by men. NT revealed Christ Being tempted by a fallen spirit).
Both were lessons for HOW to overcome being in such situations.

Scriptural Temptations, are all designed for a Tempter to appeal to a mans "weakness", by presenting an Idea that appears to give the man "something natural men are GREEDY to have"; AT the expense of going Against Gods teachings and precepts.

SOLUTION;
Buzz Off, you are waiting your time. :)

Hebrews 4:15 King James Version (KJV)
15 For we have not an high priest which cannot be touched with the feeling of our infirmities; but was in all points tempted like as we are, yet without sin.

Yes. Yet He did not consider the temptation or act upon the temptation.

In short, we are not responsible for what another Says or Does.

We are accountable for what we consider and do.

God Bless,
Taken

D

Dave L

I read the Bible. We are asked to assemble. Not to sit and be taught all our days. God has, not called everyone to the same thing. Some things all have in common. But each has his own gifts and calling as says the word. Some after one manner some after another but it the same God that distributes all.

We can listen but agree or disagree. I spent hours and hours each day in the Bible when first saved and it is yet my teacher. I refuse to listen to teachers that put down God's word and deny what is written. Simple as that.
But you cannot judge the creeds guilty of your charges unless you know what they say. To steer others away from them by unfounded bias is not in anyone's best interest.

Do you know it took four church councils beginning in 325 and ending in 451 to clearly state what the bible says about Christ's divinity and manhood? And they have not been proven wrong yet. It took nearly ten years of prayer and fasting along with debate to produce the Westminster Confession. I've found errors in some of it, but most of it is spot on.

Armadillo

Aug 11, 2017
Ontario
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
We wish that you would comment on the verses in the OP.
They say your previous sins were forgiven.

God was reconciled to man at the cross, yes? If God was reconciled to man only for the sins that had already happened then God would have to abandon you at the moment you sin.

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Since all sin was paid for on the cross, what sin can you commit that Jesus hasn't already paid for and would have to be put back on the cross for?

"What sin" ?

An interesting question, that I have yet to have Anyone who says ("they are born again and continue to sin") answer.

Because the Fact is: The only "sins" they would be able to Reveal, would be "sins" committed Against 'men', ACCORDING TO Mosiac Laws.....

Then they would have to explain their Oxymoron Position....
"Not under Mosiac Law, but yet teaching they Are subject to Mosiac Law".

In Part, IMO, Preachers routinely Preach, of those committing sin; The Congregation is SUPPOSED to know, what applies to them and what doesn't, but I don't think that is always the case.

God Bless,
Taken

Reactions: Armadillo

Frank Lee

Feb 23, 2017
Ouachita Mountains
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
But you cannot judge the creeds guilty of your charges unless you know what they say. To steer others away from them by unfounded bias is not in anyone's best interest.

Do you know it took four church councils beginning in 325 and ending in 451 to clearly state what the bible says about Christ's divinity and manhood? And they have not been proven wrong yet. It took nearly ten years of prayer and fasting along with debate to produce the Westminster Confession. I've found errors in some of it, but most of it is spot on.

God told me that if I know the truth His word, that I would recognize the lies when they came.

Once I bought many books on cults to study what they said. The Holy Spirit said "burn them! If you'll spend your time in my word then you'll see and discern every false thing that confronts you." I burned them and immersed myself in the word.

As a tool maker, then as a designer and industrial consultant God gave me things, and designs that worked. Truths.

As a Christian the Bible, the manufacturer's handbook if you will, tells me what I need to know. I DON'T want to know the encyclopedic volumes of errors and untruths, only the unadulterated, uncommented word of God the Bible. I will not own a commented Bible. The Holy Spirit is my commentor.

I'll choose him over men every time. What saith the word? Not what saith the Doctor of divinity.

2 Timothy 2:15 KJVS
Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

This admonition was regarding the word of God.

Ecclesiastes 12:12 KJVS
And further, by these, my son, be admonished: of making many books there is no end; and much study is a weariness of the flesh.

This admonition is regarding the words of men.

Last edited:
D

Dave L

God told me that if I know the truth His word, that I would recognize the lies when they came.

Once I bought many books on cults to study what they said. The Holy Spirit said "burn them! If you'll spend your time in my word then you'll see and discern every false thing that confronts you." I burned them and immersed myself in the word.

As a tool maker, then as a designer and industrial consultant God gave me things, and designs that worked. Truths.

As a Christian the Bible, the manufacturer's handbook if you will, tells me what I need to know. I DON'T want to know the encyclopedic volumes of errors and untruths, only the unadulterated, uncommented word of God the Bible. I will not own a commented Bible. The Holy Spirit is my commentor.

I'll choose him over men every time. What saith the word? Not what saith the Doctor of divinity.
Have you ever read any of the historic creeds?

Frank Lee

Feb 23, 2017
Ouachita Mountains
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I spend my time in the Bible. I have no desire to fill my head with unneeded words. Before salvation I read widely. Philosophy, classics, adventure, engineering, art, politics, histories. After I was saved and filled with the Holy Spirit I found everything I need Ed in the Bible.

Christians, would be far better served and taught if they did not water down their faith by meditating on what other men have to say about the Bible.

Last edited:
Reactions: Taken

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Have you ever read any of the Ecumenical Creeds?
Thoroughly studied the documents themselves, historical background/context, and the implications/impacts they have each had.

Now, would you care to directly answer my question: And if someone reads a post-Biblical document and after study/prayer, determines that they are written by man and do not 100% reflect God's Truth? What then in your thought process?

And please don't go off on the "well if you don't accept the Creeds you'll turn into a JW" tangent.

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
“And he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers; For the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ:” (Ephesians 4:11–12)
Note: you are aruguing for a view point that is not Sola Scriptura here. and with your arguments about the Creeds. I'm not saying that it's a bad thing at all, rather just pointing out that you are arguing for sources other than just the Bible to be considered authoritative.

D

Dave L

Thoroughly studied the documents themselves, historical background/context, and the implications/impacts they have each had.

Now, would you care to directly answer my question: And if someone reads a post-Biblical document and after study/prayer, determines that they are written by man and do not 100% reflect God's Truth? What then in your thought process?

And please don't go off on the "well if you don't accept the Creeds you'll turn into a JW" tangent.
All of the creeds are written by human beings. So are all books. But to reject creeds and accept books is not evidence of clear thinking.

Frank Lee

Feb 23, 2017
Ouachita Mountains
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I won't comment on hypothetical circumstances. We are all always learning. It's the nature of the creature. We constantly are rejecting or accepting things we hear or experience. With the firm foundation of the Bible I have, we have a gold standard against which to compare new information.

Many errors were taught by sects, creeds, denominations in the past and today. Back to the Bible is a good saying. We desperately need revival, true Holy Spirit driven revival in America today. This will never come outside of intercessory prayer and steeping ourselves in the word of God.

Men moved by the Holy Spirit can preach and teach with the power, dunamis of the HolySpirit and these are God's teachers. Ea h one of them will demand adhering to God's undiluted word.

Reactions: justbyfaith
D

Dave L

Note: you are aruguing for a view point that is not Sola Scriptura here. and with your arguments about the Creeds. I'm not saying that it's a bad thing at all, rather just pointing out that you are arguing for sources other than just the Bible to be considered authoritative.
sola scriptura is a creedal statement. If it teaches what the bible says, it is scripture alone.

D

Dave L

I won't comment on hypothetical circumstances. We are all always learning. It's the nature of the creature. We constantly are rejecting or accepting things we hear or experience. With the firm foundation of the Bible I have, we have a gold standard against which to compare new information.

Many errors were taught by sects, creeds, denominations in the past and today. Back to the Bible is a good saying. We desperately need revival, true Holy Spirit driven re I al in America today. This will never come outside of intercessory prayer and steeping ourselves in the word of God.
We still have a problem with your not knowing what a book says, never having read it, but still rejecting it and calling it false. All based on assumption.

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
All of the creeds are written by human beings. So are all books. .
Pointing out: scripture is God-breathed and inspired by God Himself.
Do you hold the same to be true of the Westminster Creed? (Just for one example).
But to reject creeds and accept books is not evidence of clear thinking.
And by what logic do you conclude that statement?

D

Dave L

Pointing out: scripture is God-breathed and inspired by God Himself.
Do you hold the same to be true of the Westminster Creed? (Just for one example).

And by what logic do you conclude that statement?
Creeds are books.

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Creeds are books.
Not an answer to any of my questions. Let's try again.

Pointing out: scripture is God-breathed and inspired by God Himself. Do you hold the same to be true of the Westminster Creed? (Just for one example).

And by what logic do you conclude the statement "But to reject creeds and accept books is not evidence of clear thinking"?