Proselyting Techniques of Mormon Missionaries

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Learner

Aug 21, 2022
Brighton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

The Learner

Aug 21, 2022
Brighton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

start reading on page 97

L.A.M.B.

Mar 22, 2022
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

start reading on page 97
It showed the contents on pg. 97 but only went to pg.62.
So maybe @Jane_Doe22 will tell us about Joseph Smith's history of the Mormon affiliation.

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

start reading on page 97
This book is grossly inaccurate. Both because it’s terribly out of date, and deeply baised to be frankly incorrect.

I posted the actual current LDS Christian handbook above, freely available to all. If anyone has any questions I’m also totally game answering.

L.A.M.B.

Mar 22, 2022
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Not to disparage, just for information,Jane.
We all hold to certain things we have been told about FLDS ( whom seem to be extremist) and what we have seen recently in the news of ppl who attend this of the regular LDS.
I'm in the deep South but I do not know any Mormons, nor Jehovah Witnesses. We have those here I'm sure but we are mostly Baptist, Methodist, Church of Christ, and Pentecostals, with many Non- Denominalists !
If you don't mind sharing.

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It showed the contents on pg. 97 but only went to pg.62.
So maybe @Jane_Doe22 will tell us about Joseph Smith's history of the Mormon affiliation.
In short, Joseph Smith is regarded as a servant of God, a prophet. That doesn’t mean he was perfect- cause he was a sinner too.

I am an LDS Christian not because of Joseph Smith or Peter or Moses or any other man. But rather because of Christ, He is my King and I follow Him.

L.A.M.B.

Mar 22, 2022
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In short, Joseph Smith is regarded as a servant of God, a prophet. That doesn’t mean he was perfect- cause he was a sinner too.

I am an LDS Christian not because of Joseph Smith or Peter or Moses or any other man. But rather because of Christ, He is my King and I follow Him.
Ok.
I really do not know the difference of church structure.
I remember some things brought up during the trial of the murder of Travis Alexander, the Ruby Franke / Jodi Hildebrandt case ,the crazy Sister wives show ect.
If you'd rather not discuss these practices outside of your belief in Jesus as our Lord and Savior, that's ok too.
Thank you.

Reactions: The Learner

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Not to disparage, just for information,Jane.
We all hold to certain things we have been told about FLDS ( whom seem to be extremist) and what we have seen recently in the news of ppl who attend this of the regular LDS.
I'm in the deep South but I do not know any Mormons, nor Jehovah Witnesses. We have those here I'm sure but we are mostly Baptist, Methodist, Church of Christ, and Pentecostals, with many Non- Denominalists !
If you don't mind sharing.
I’m totally happy to share! I got lots of friends in other denominations too- hubby is a Baptist, my best friends are Calvery Chapel and Methodist, etc.

FLDS are a very different bunch than mainstream LDS Christians and I feel way closer to Methodists than FLDS. Differences included different books of scripture, major differences in beliefs, and practice. Example: I wear normal clothes, pic in a normal mainstream house. And theologically extremely anti polygamy and underage marriage.

Also have zero in common with JW.

Ok.
I really do not know the difference of church structure.
I remember some things brought up during the trial of the murder of Travis Alexander, the Ruby Franke / Jodi Hildebrandt case ,the crazy Sister wives show ect.
If you'd rather not discuss these practices outside of your belief in Jesus as our Lord and Savior, that's ok too.
Thank you.
Sister Wives aren’t LDS Christians (we are anti polygamy) and everything on reality tv is… well it’s not actually reality. Rest of the list are also major crazy and not behaving the way one should.

I’m totally game talking about any practice. What would you like me to talk about?

For routine religious practice, we have church Sunday morning. This week after main service we also hand Sunday School, currently going through Hebrews. I try to keep up with reading during the week on my own, but admittedly life gets busy it can be hit/miss. Kids have youth group activities during the week.

For a special thing this week, we’re doing a big clothing exchange on Saturday — bring a bunch of used stuff to the church to donate, and pick up anything you’d like for free (regardless of whether you donated or are a church member). It’s a great time to clean the closet out and perform some service. I’m going to spend a few hours later this week helping with the logistics.

L.A.M.B.

Mar 22, 2022
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I’m totally happy to share! I got lots of friends in other denominations too- hubby is a Baptist, my best friends are Calvery Chapel and Methodist, etc.

FLDS are a very different bunch than mainstream LDS Christians and I feel way closer to Methodists than FLDS. Differences included different books of scripture, major differences in beliefs, and practice. Example: I wear normal clothes, pic in a normal mainstream house. And theologically extremely anti polygamy and underage marriage.

Also have zero in common with JW.

Sister Wives aren’t LDS Christians (we are anti polygamy) and everything on reality tv is… well it’s not actually reality. Rest of the list are also major crazy and not behaving the way one should.

I’m totally game talking about any practice. What would you like me to talk about?

For routine religious practice, we have church Sunday morning. This week after main service we also hand Sunday School, currently going through Hebrews. I try to keep up with reading during the week on my own, but admittedly life gets busy it can be hit/miss. Kids have youth group activities during the week.

For a special thing this week, we’re doing a big clothing exchange on Saturday — bring a bunch of used stuff to the church to donate, and pick up anything you’d like for free (regardless of whether you donated or are a church member). It’s a great time to clean the closet out and perform some service. I’m going to spend a few hours later this week helping with the logistics.
That is an awesome practice.

Please explain different books, of scripture, I'll start there and if they are from a regular Bible all use. I prefer KJV simply bc I've always used one (47yrs) and I love the pride of the language.
Thank you.

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That is an awesome practice.

Please explain different books, of scripture, I'll start there and if they are from a regular Bible all use. I prefer KJV simply bc I've always used one (47yrs) and I love the pride of the language.
Thank you.
The “Mormon Bible” is the KJV. I also really like the poetic old fashioned language, though totally understand that it trips other people up. No problem with other translations.

Other books of scripture include the Book of Mormon, Pearl of Great Price, and Doctrine & Covenants. Plus the door totally open for more. We believe that God still speaks — both to the world (via Apsotles / Prophets living today) and also to the individual (Holy spirit is so important!).

L.A.M.B.

Mar 22, 2022
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The “Mormon Bible” is the KJV. I also really like the poetic old fashioned language, though totally understand that it trips other people up. No problem with other translations.

Other books of scripture include the Book of Mormon, Pearl of Great Price, and Doctrine & Covenants. Plus the door totally open for more. We believe that God still speaks — both to the world (via Apsotles / Prophets living today) and also to the individual (Holy spirit is so important!).
I like that we love the KJV for the same reason ❤️

I have only heard of and seen advertised the " Book of Mormon", what does that entail. The other titles you've mentioned are unfamiliar.

What comprises these books? Are they excerpts of the KJV or from your own Apostles & Prophets?

L.A.M.B.

Mar 22, 2022
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Anytime you want to refrain, please just say enough and I'll be ok with that.....❤️

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I like that we love the KJV for the same reason ❤️

I have only heard of and seen advertised the " Book of Mormon", what does that entail. The other titles you've mentioned are unfamiliar.

What comprises these books? Are they excerpts of the KJV or from your own Apostles & Prophets?
“The Book of Mormon “ is a big deal for us. It follows a family of Jews that left Jerusalem and moved to the Americas, and then their family for the next 1000 years. It’s very focused on Christ, climaxing in His visit to the the Americas after His resurrection.

“Doctrine and Covenants” is modern day prophets, mostly focused on Jospeh Smthi’s time in the mid 1800’s. There’s some important theology chapters, but a lot of it is admistrative “how to run things” stuff.

“Pearl of Great Price” is really short extra Genesis time period stuff.

Btw, lol how does your household operate if you have children and you & hubby are of different faiths? Is he a participating Baptist?
Honestly I really wish he were more active in his faith— like we had a great religious discussion yesterday and I just loved it. But more the time he’s fairly inactive about faith. Hence the kids here mostly from me. But do share with hubby too- like daughter had a really good lesson yesterday at church and we told hubby about it.

L.A.M.B.

Mar 22, 2022
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
“The Book of Mormon “ is a big deal for us. It follows a family of Jews that left Jerusalem and moved to the Americas, and then their family for the next 1000 years. It’s very focused on Christ, climaxing in His visit to the the Americas after His resurrection.

“Doctrine and Covenants” is modern day prophets, mostly focused on Jospeh Smthi’s time in the mid 1800’s. There’s some important theology chapters, but a lot of it is admistrative “how to run things” stuff.

“Pearl of Great Price” is really short extra Genesis time period stuff.

Honestly I really wish he were more active in his faith— like we had a great religious discussion yesterday and I just loved it. But more the time he’s fairly inactive about faith. Hence the kids here mostly from me. But do share with hubby too- like daughter had a really good lesson yesterday at church and we told hubby about it.
I am sad that you do not have the constant believers fellowship with hubby; we will pray & believe.

So is the " Book of Mormon" a mix of Judaism and the New Covenant?