Rabbis forced the Romans to crucify Jesus

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

do you believer this is true?

• no

Votes: 3 60.0%
  • yes

Votes: 2 40.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Daniel L.

Feb 25, 2022
Lisboa
Faith
Christian
Country
Portugal
The Jews were under Roman rule, they are in no position to force anything on the Romans, but they definitely did everything they could do to have Him killed, without forcing per say. The Romans could have very well just silenced all the false accusations, if they really wanted to do justice, but they just wanted order in their kingdom, so it was easier for them to just kill One Man, than to have the Jews causing even more problems in the city. However the Jews did have a greater sin than the Romans:

John 19:11 Jesus answered, Thou couldest have no power at all against me, except it were given thee from above: therefore he that delivered me unto thee hath the greater sin.

Last edited:

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Tough question to answer, but I answered "no".

First off, after reviewing the gospels I find priests, high priests, scribes, elders and captains of the temple involved. None of the gospels mentions "rabbis". Were these "rabbis"? I don't know... Jesus said call no man rabbi (including himself). So at this point I think I am over-thinking the question.

It is a fact though that the various elders and priests petitioned the Romans to crucify him. Through it all, the Roman official (pilate) was very reluctant and clearly didn't want to. But the elders and priests were determined.

It seems to me that politics came into play. The Hebrews hated to be under Roman rule (with good reason, based on the promises-even though they didn't measure up to the conditions) and were consistently rebellious. Yes, the Romans could contain them, but its not good business. In short, it was all about appeasement. They didn't have to do it and Pilate recognized he was killing an innocent man. But he perceived it was good business to appease them.

At any time he could've said no and hunkered down against the consequences.

But no one forced Jesus to be crucified. He was willing to do it and one point he said he could call legions of angels to rescue him. In a sense, though, Jesus had the power to save himself but couldn't. He was slain before the foundation of the world. He knew his purpose was greater than himself, and that is saying a lot.

The scribes, priests and elders were wrong. Judas was wrong. Pilate was wrong and even the Roman soldiers (just doing their job) were wrong. But you can't force God to do anything he has set his mind to do.

Ziggy

Oct 19, 2020
Maine, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jhn 11:47 Then gathered the chief priests and the Pharisees a council, and said, What do we? for this man doeth many miracles.
Jhn 11:48 If we let him thus alone, all men will believe on him: and the Romans shall come and take away both our place and nation.
Jhn 11:49 And one of them, named Caiaphas, being the high priest that same year, said unto them, Ye know nothing at all,
Jhn 11:50 Nor consider that it is expedient for us, that one man should die for the people, and that the whole nation perish not.
Jhn 11:51 And this spake he not of himself: but being high priest that year, he prophesied that Jesus should die for that nation;
Jhn 11:52 And not for that nation only, but that also he should gather together in one the children of God that were scattered abroad.
Jhn 11:53 Then from that day forth they took counsel together for to put him to death.

They tried unsuccesfully to kill Jesus. They tried to stone him.

Jhn 8:59 Then took they up stones to cast at him: but Jesus hid himself, and went out of the temple, going through the midst of them, and so passed by.

Jhn 19:6 When the chief priests therefore and officers saw him, they cried out, saying, Crucify him, crucify him. Pilate saith unto them, Take ye him, and crucify him: for I find no fault in him.
Jhn 19:7 The Jews answered him, We have a law, and by our law he ought to die, because he made himself the Son of God.

Jhn 19:12 And from thenceforth Pilate sought to release him: but the Jews cried out, saying, If thou let this man go, thou art not Caesar's friend: whosoever maketh himself a king speaketh against Caesar.
Jhn 19:13 When Pilate therefore heard that saying, he brought Jesus forth, and sat down in the judgment seat in a place that is called the Pavement, but in the Hebrew, Gabbatha.
Jhn 19:14 And it was the preparation of the passover, and about the sixth hour: and he saith unto the Jews, Behold your King!
Jhn 19:15 But they cried out, Away with him, away with him, crucify him. Pilate saith unto them, Shall I crucify your King? The chief priests answered, We have no king but Caesar.

Pilate wasn't obligated under the Jews law to kill Jesus just because they didn't agree with who Jesus claimed to be.
So they came at Pilate through his office. If you let him go, then your no friend of Caesar.
This is blackmail. They were actually threatening Pilate to do their bidding or they may tell Caesar that Pilate was placing Jesus above Caesar.
Even Pilate tried to persuade them that Jesus was the King of the Jews, but they denied him say Caesar was their king.
Definately a political power struggle going on here. Who knows what the Jews may have told Caesar to get Pilate taken out of office for not doing as they said.

Forced, Coerced, blackmailed...

They had it in their heart from the beginning to have him killed, one way or another.
But God had a plan.

those my thoughts.
Hugs

Reactions: amigo de christo

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I do not know if the above is true or not, so I posted a link here for comment's.
The Sanhedrin thought it expedient to have the Romans do their dirty work for them. Pilate was no fool; he was a man who knew politics, and knew how to use power. I'm sure he was suspicious as hell about doing what the Sanhedrin wanted, but in the end, justice doesn't matter. Expedience wins. What's one more death to a man who had ordered hundreds if not thousands of men to their deaths?

"I once asked one who knew, 'What is truth?' I didn't wait for an answer..."

Last edited:
Reactions: Ziggy

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I do not know if the above is true or not, so I posted a link here for comment's.

I don't really use the term rabbis, but the leaders of the Jewish faith, the Sanhedrin the Jewish high court illegally met and tried Jesus convicting him of blasphemy. Being afraid of those in the faith that recognized Jesus for who he was, they chose to manipulate the Romans into putting Jesus to death. Their rejection of the Messiah, was the reason God took the Kingdom from them and gave it to a new nation.
(Matthew 21:42, 43) . . .Jesus said to them: “Did you never read in the Scriptures, ‘The stone that the builders rejected, this has become the chief cornerstone. This has come from Jehovah, and it is marvelous in our eyes’? 43 This is why I say to you, the Kingdom of God will be taken from you and be given to a nation producing its fruits.

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It is ridiculous to think that the Romans could have been forced to do anything by the Jews. They were very strong rulers of the region who didn't hesitate to use the military to achieve pax Romana. Reading Scripture, it was obvious that the Romans enjoyed torturing, mocking, and murdering Jesus.

Pierac

Nov 15, 2021
Phoenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Paul taught no less than six times... "all thing are of God" Rom. 11:36; 1 Cor. 8:6, and 11:12; 2 Cor. 5:18; Eph. 1:11, and Heb. 2:10

The crucifixion of Christ is always looked upon as the most awful crime that ever was committed, and the perpetrators of it are considered as deserving the most severe retribution; and yet they simply did what God's hand and counsel determined before to be done, (Acts 4:28). And Peter tells us that Christ was "delivered up by the determinate counsel and foreknowledge of God." (Acts 2:23). Thus we see how even this stupendous crime was of God, and since we know that he "worketh all things after the counsel of his will," (Eph. 1:11), we can readily understand from the illustrations cited how true it is that "all things are of God." Thus in God's universal sovereignty fully established by the plain teachings of the word.)"He doeth according to his will, in the army of heaven, and among the inhabitants of the earth, and none can stay his hand, or say unto him what doest thou?" (Dan.4:35). See also Isa. 40 whole chapter, and Rev. 17:17.
To the child of God this truth is most precious and reassuring. It teaches us how absolutely safe we are while we "abide under the shadow of the Almighty." His power extends not simply to the smallest affairs, like the hairs of our head and the birds of the air, but also to greater things, individuals, communities, states. nations, and worlds, and no creature moves but by his appointment or permission. "All things are of God," therefore I can understand how all things work together for good to them that love God;" and how, also, all things shall yet turn for good to man, since God loves him. God uses the forces of the world whether human or otherwise—just as one would move the pieces on a chess-board. They are so many instruments,—tools, in his hands. Shall the ax boast itself against him that heweth therewith? or shall the saw magnify itself against him that shaketh it? As if a rod should shake itself against them that lift it up, or as if the staff should lift up itself as if it were no wood." (Isa. 10:15).

Taken from AP Adams
Paul

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Kindly read the Gospels and find the truth of the matter. No one in Palestine could force the Romans to do anything. It was the cowardice of Pontius Pilate which then resulted in the crucifixion of Christ. But God held the Jews responsible since they clamored for His crucifixion. Pilate was willing to let Christ go, and then washed his hands symbolically to show that he was not the one who insisted on the crucifixion. In any event, the crucifixion was a divine necessity. And it was not really "rabbis" but the Pharisees, the chief priests, and the elders of Israel (the Sanhedrin) who urged the mob to cry out "Crucify him!".

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Well kind of. Teh final decision was Pilates, but the High Priest exerted enormous political pressure on Pilate to coerce him to crucify jesus. If Jesus were to come today, it is "christian" leaders like Tilton, Dollar, HInn, et. al and th ePope who would be howling for His death.

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well kind of. Teh final decision was Pilates, but the High Priest exerted enormous political pressure on Pilate to coerce him to crucify jesus. If Jesus were to come today, it is "christian" leaders like Tilton, Dollar, HInn, et. al and th ePope who would be howling for His death.
Yes , indeed they would . And we shall not make a table of unity with them either .
Have you noticed how they seem to be pointing us back to unity with ROME . ITS all been well planned out for decades .
The lambs will point to Christ and on the SOLID ROCK we stand . As the currents of a wild and fierce river of destruction and delusion
is now taking many captive to a lie for sake of unity . The lambs on the STONE , who stand upon
OUR LORD and His teachings , shall not be swept off the ROCK OF OUR SALVATION and into the raging waters of this delusion .
WE MAKE OUR FINAL STAND ON JESUS CHRIST . SO march on and let the LORD be praised .

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes , indeed they would . And we shall not make a table of unity with them either .
Have you noticed how they seem to be pointing us back to unity with ROME . ITS all been well planned out for decades .
The lambs will point to Christ and on the SOLID ROCK we stand . As the currents of a wild and fierce river of destruction and delusion
is now taking many captive to a lie for sake of unity . The lambs on the STONE , who stand upon
OUR LORD and His teachings , shall not be swept off the ROCK OF OUR SALVATION and into the raging waters of this delusion .
WE MAKE OUR FINAL STAND ON JESUS CHRIST . SO march on and let the LORD be praised .

Well how much the ecclesiastical leaders are aware, I know not. But I do know for sure they are acting according to the will of their Father the devil.

He is orchestrating their motives whether they are cognizant of it or not.

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I wonder how that felt when they realized they called God, Beezelbub..:eek:
Talk about blasphemy.
Thank the Lord he is merciful and patient with us all.
Hugs
The LORD is indeed very longsuffering desiring not the death of any but rather they would repent and believe in the glorious gospel .
Once the door is shut , however , all outside shall wail .
And sister , THIS WORLD IS RUNNING OUT OF TIME .
Did you notice how stern and grave Christ was against those who taught lies and falsehoods to have the people gather under them
and not rather UNDER GOD . He lit those pharieeses and lawyers up at times .
And yet He even prayed for their forgivness on that cross .
But i do feel led to truly remind us all of something .
ITS GONNA BE JESUS HIMSELF who treads the wine press of GOD against those who rejected Him .
HE will come for His lambs , but woe to those who , though GOD did bear long with them , REFUSED JESUS .
Ziggy we have us a strong delusion growing . AND its a lie that will damn all who believe it .
WE must cling and stick to the original gospel . FOR IT is the only gospel that if one does believe that can save them .
THAT IF you will confess JESUS with the mouth and beleive from the heart that GOD has rose HIM from the dead
then you shall be saved .
BUT here is my warning . IF under the law , two or three witnesses could have one put to death
HOW MUCH SORER A PUNISHMENT for those who TROD JESUS UNDER FOOT .
SO NEVER BELEIVE this all inclusive lie that says all religoins are fine with GOD and that they need not to BELIEVE IN JESUS .
IT TRODS JESUS UNDER FOOT as the only WAY TO BE SAVED . AND ZIGGY , ITS SPREADING SO FAST NOW .
WE MUST CLING TO JESUS . OUR END IS WONDERFUL GOOD . And no matter how much the world and united religions of said world
will hate us and call us haters in the time to come , ENDURE WHATEVER COMES AGAINST US . THE LORD is with the lambs .
AND I GOT ALL HOPE AND ALL PEACE IN HIM . SO march on sister . MARCH ON IN THE LORD .

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I knew dog bites were bad....now I know they're really bad!