Read the Word! Inspiration for all things Bible

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Wynona

Staff member
Encounter Team
Jan 27, 2021
North Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I am working on verses one through five this week. Because I want to have a deeper revelation and understanding as well as I memorize.

When Jesus saw the crowds, He went up on the mountain; and after He sat down, His disciples came to Him. He opened His mouth and began to teach them, saying, “Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. “Blessed are those who mourn, for they shall be comforted. “Blessed are the gentle, for they shall inherit the earth.
Matthew 5:1‭-‬5 NASB1995
Matthew 5:1-5 When Jesus saw the crowds, He went up on the mountain; and after He sat down, His disciples came to Him. He opened His mouth and began to teach them, saying, “Blessed are the poor in spirit, for their | New American Standard Bible - NASB 1995 (NASB1995) | Download The Bible App Now

Like what does it mean to be blessed?
What does it mean to be poor in spirit?

Couple good explanations I found:

What Did Jesus Mean by "Poor in Spirit" and How Can We Become This?

To be blessed:

Y’all, when Jesus told His people they would be “blessed” in the circumstances listed in the Beatitudes, it wasn’t because they would earn or be worthy of any blessing, but because in feeling and seeking and giving and working through these uncomfortable, difficult things, He would be with them. He alone is the Blessing!

To be poor in spirit:

Jesus wants us to humbly accept that in and of ourselves, we are not enough. We just aren’t enough, y’all. And we try to be. We try so, so hard to be self-sufficient and independent, as we sometimes believe the lie that those things are what make us strong. But oh, my sweet friends, those are the ways of the world, not the Kingdom of Heaven.
---

I didn't think about what it meant to be blessed. But in the beatitudes, Jesus said those who are persecuted for righteousness sake are blessed. So it isn't just good things. Being blessed is having God in it all and having Him work in our lives. There would be no blessing without God.

And poor in spirit is recognizing without God we are nothing.

I want to study more tomorrow why the meek/gentle inherit the earth.

That is interesting because I got a similar answer when I asked the Holy Spirit this morning what "poor in spirit".

Poverty makes you needy and that's how we are to come to God.

That is the answer I got!

Thank you for posting those studies @Mayflower !

Reactions: Mayflower

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I am working on verses one through five this week. Because I want to have a deeper revelation and understanding as well as I memorize.

When Jesus saw the crowds, He went up on the mountain; and after He sat down, His disciples came to Him. He opened His mouth and began to teach them, saying, “Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. “Blessed are those who mourn, for they shall be comforted. “Blessed are the gentle, for they shall inherit the earth.
Matthew 5:1-5 When Jesus saw the crowds, He went up on the mountain; and after He sat down, His disciples came to Him. He opened His mouth and began to teach them, saying, “Blessed are the poor in spirit, for their | New American Standard Bible - NASB 1995 (NASB1995) | Download The Bible App Now

To be blessed:

Y’all, when Jesus told His people they would be “blessed” in the circumstances listed in the Beatitudes, it wasn’t because they would earn or be worthy of any blessing, but because in feeling and seeking and giving and working through these uncomfortable, difficult things, He would be with them. He alone is the Blessing!

To be poor in spirit:

Jesus wants us to humbly accept that in and of ourselves, we are not enough. We just aren’t enough, y’all. And we try to be. We try so, so hard to be self-sufficient and independent, as we sometimes believe the lie that those things are what make us strong. But oh, my sweet friends, those are the ways of the world, not the Kingdom of Heaven.
---

I didn't think about what it meant to be blessed. But in the beatitudes, Jesus said those who are persecuted for righteousness sake are blessed. So it isn't just good things. Being blessed is having God in it all and having Him work in our lives. There would be no blessing without God.

Hi @Mayflower The word 'blessed' in the Beatitudes in Matthew ties in with the Psalmist's use of the word in Psalm 1...

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America

To be blessed:

To be poor in spirit:

---

@Mayflower A related thought is surely that the Lord Jesus 'humbled Himself, and became obedient unto death' (Philippians 2). He Himself and He alone perfectly fulfills the standard of the Beatitudes.

Berserk

Apr 13, 2019
Colville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Bible reading is good, but prolonged prayer seeking God's face and praying for revival is better.
The greatest revivals erupted not through Bible reading, but through hours and hours of regular prayer!
Too often regular Bible reading just leads to a head-trip faith focused on memorized teachings rather than to life-changing experiences of the power and presence of the Spirit. As Billy Graham once said, "Most Christians have just enough spirituality to inoculate them against the real thing--a living intimate personal relationship with Christ achieved by walking in the Spirit and being led by the Spirit.

Thus, when anyone posts a detailed thread on how the great revivals were triggered, their lack of hunger for more of God prompts them to ignore posted documentaries on this topic.

In case you're wondering...When I was just 12, I had a paper route. I spend all my earnings on a Thompson Chain Reference Bible and read it through in a couple of months. I have even taught Bible courses in college.

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2018
Bluffton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Wynona; @Mayflower I reckon that you would agree that it's not so much the speed and amount of Scripture as the persistence and regularity of being in the Word, prayerfully, right? :)

For sure which is good, because I have not got really far in memorizing yet. :D But my mind has been on the beatitudes.

Reactions: farouk

Cassandra

Sep 24, 2021
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Bible reading is good, but prolonged prayer seeking God's face and praying for revival is better.
The greatest revivals erupted not through Bible reading, but through hours and hours of regular prayer!
Too often regular Bible reading just leads to a head-trip faith focused on memorized teachings rather than to life-changing experiences of the power and presence of the Spirit. As Billy Graham once said, "Most Christians have just enough spirituality to inoculate them against the real thing--a living intimate personal relationship with Christ achieved by walking in the Spirit and being led by the Spirit.

Thus, when anyone posts a detailed thread on how the great revivals were triggered, their lack of hunger for more of God prompts them to ignore posted documentaries on this topic.

In case you're wondering...When I was just 12, I had a paper route. I spend all my earnings on a Thompson Chain Reference Bible and read it through in a couple of months. I have even taught Bible courses in college.

While prayer is an essential part of one's relationship with Christ, it is imperative and just as important to read the Word. In it lies everything need ed to understand for the Christian walk with Christ.

2 Timothy 3:16 ESV
All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness,

Joshua 1:8 ESV
This Book of the Law shall not depart from your mouth, but you shall meditate on it day and night, so that you may be careful to do according to all that is written in it. For then you will make your way prosperous, and then you will have good success.

Psalm 119:105 ESV
Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path.

Romans 15:4 ESV
For whatever was written in former days was written for our instruction, that through endurance and through the encouragement of the Scriptures we might have hope.

Psalm 119:11 ESV
I have stored up your word in my heart, that I might not sin against you

Acts 17:11 ESV
Now these Jews were more noble than those in Thessalonica; they received the word with all eagerness, examining the Scriptures daily to see if these things were so.

John 17:17 ESV
Sanctify them in the truth; your word is truth.

Psalm 119:97 ESV
Oh how I love your law! It is my meditation all the day.

Deuteronomy 6:6-9
And these words that I command you today shall be on your heart. You shall teach them diligently to your children, and shall talk of them when you sit in your house, and when you walk by the way, and when you lie down, and when you rise. You shall bind them as a sign on your hand, and they shall be as frontlets between your eyes. You shall write them on the doorposts of your house and on your gates. (This last verse sounds kinda like having a mark in the hand and in the forehead. Mark of the LORD?)

Wynona

Staff member
Encounter Team
Jan 27, 2021
North Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Deuteronomy 6:6-9
And these words that I command you today shall be on your heart. You shall teach them diligently to your children, and shall talk of them when you sit in your house, and when you walk by the way, and when you lie down, and when you rise. You shall bind them as a sign on your hand, and they shall be as frontlets between your eyes. You shall write them on the doorposts of your house and on your gates. (This last verse sounds kinda like having a mark in the hand and in the forehead. Mark of the LORD?)

Yes! I love that Mark of the Lord idea.

Karl Peters

May 18, 2021
Fontana
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
1. What reasons should we read God's Word? How has it impacted your life so far?

First - we don't read the Word of God we listen to Him!!

Now the first words I heard from the Word of God were: "Read Your Bible!"

So I did. I read it from front to back a bit each day and it took about nine months to finish it. Of course that was not the end of reading it. Better yet the reading of the Bible pointed me to Jesus Christ and getting to know Him personally as "The Word of God" - meaning the One who I can personally hear from, talk with, and get to know, who has the words of God for me and my life. So He is the "Word of God" - just like the Bible explains!

Rev 19:13 He is clothed with a robe dipped in blood, and His name is called The Word of God.

Jn 1: 1-3 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. He was in the beginning with God. All things came into being through Him, and apart from Him nothing came into being that has come into being.

Gen 15:1 After these things the word of the LORD came to Abram in a vision, saying, “Do not fear, Abram, I am a shield to you; Your reward shall be very great.”

Frankly - I am not sure how a person can read the Bible and not know the Jesus Christ is and always has been "The Word of God" nor that the purpose of the scared writing are to bring us to Him who is called "The Word of God"

2 Tim 3:15 and that from childhood you have known the sacred writings which are able to give you the wisdom that leads to salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus.

2. What are some practical ways we can become more familiar with, memorize, and meditate on the Scriptures?

For me, the practical way of becoming more familiar with the Bible is to talk to my Lord and Teacher, Jesus Christ about the Scriptures!!

I mean, since He told me to read it and since He is the Teacher, who better to get to know and understand the Scriptures than to talk to Him about them. Not only that but as the Teacher, He usually has places that He wants me to read so we can talk about them. Like the time He asked me to go to Ezk 3 and read. As I read I started talking to me specifically giving me instructions that almost match up perfectly with what He was telling Ezekiel. I was reading:

Ezk 3:4-9 Then He said to me, “Son of man, go to the house of Israel and speak with My words to them. “For you are not being sent to a people of unintelligible speech or difficult language, but to the house of Israel, nor to many peoples of unintelligible speech or difficult language, whose words you cannot understand. But I have sent you to them who should listen to you; yet the house of Israel will not be willing to listen to you, since they are not willing to listen to Me. Surely the whole house of Israel is stubborn and obstinate. “Behold, I have made your face as hard as their faces and your forehead as hard as their foreheads. “Like emery harder than flint I have made your forehead. Do not be afraid of them or be dismayed before them, though they are a rebellious house.”

As I was reading I could also hear Him telling me that He was not sending me to a "people of unintelligible speech or difficult language" but He was sending me 'to them who should listen to you', but He explained that they would not be willing to listen to me since they were unwilling to listen to Him.

And it seems He is consistent about this, because again this morning He asked me to post, and when I asked Him what, He explain it was the same thing. He wants His people to seek Him and listen to what He has to say. He really wants to be known as 'The Word of God', meaning the One who they get the words of God from. He wants to be your Teacher.

3. What are you reading in the Bible currently? What excites you? What stands out?

I think I kind of answered this above. As for what excites me - He does!! I still find it amazing that the Word of God (Jesus Christ), the One through whom all things were made, actually talks to me. Of course not just me. I like talking to His creation, but they don't seem to want to hear from Him. How could we not know how badly He wants to talk to us. How can we just keep on rejecting the fact that He is always with us and He really loves us - so as to seek Him? I get busy, and forget to look for Him. I even get upset at things and sometimes don't want to hear from Him. Never-the-less - hearing from Him personally is what excites me!! So I do love telling people about Him - that He is indeed there for them.

‘Behold, I stand at the door and knock; if anyone hears My voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and will dine with him, and he with Me.

The above verse is probably my favorite because it clearly explains that He is just standing there all the time for anyone, and is constantly trying to get our attention by speaking to us with His voice. Sadly, we just don't open up to Him. To often the following verse applies to us:

Jn 5:39 You search the Scriptures because you think that in them you have eternal life; it is these that testify about Me; and you are unwilling to come to Me so that you may have life.

Why do we call the Scriptures "The Word of God" when they clearly call Him the Word of God? Is it because we are searching the Scriptures thinking in them we are going to get eternal life as opposed to going to Him and listening to Him so that you may have life?

How many people get excited about religion instead of about Him? He is exciting!! The words He says to me personally are fantastic. The things I have seen Him do around me are incredible. I have seen Him do hundreds of miracles around me. And the things I have seen almost sound crazy to me when I recount them. I left a small few in the testimony section. Very few post there, so even though it was a while ago they can easily be found. Yet why is that so. Incredible testimonies should be the most common posts on this forum, should they not?

4. How much of the Bible have you read, memorized, and meditated on so far?

I don't make it my goal to memorized any of the Bible, but He often has me thinking about certain verses. And some verses have such practical meaning I can help but almost having them memorized

For example the Holy Spirit is not the only spirit about so for practical reasons we need to test the spirits. That test is found in 1 Jn 4 verses 1-3 - which I don't have memorized nor do I try and memorize it - but it goes something like - Beloved I do not want you to be unaware, because many false prophets have gone out into the world. So test the spirits. By this you will know the Spirit of God - that all spirits that tell you Jesus Christ has come in the flesh are from God and every spirit that does not confess this is not of God. --- Ok - I am sure that was a poor job of giving that verse - but since I do have ears to hear and the need to use discernment when using my spiritual ears I do wind up using that test often!

The results are interesting. I am always amazed that I can pick up a small quite spiritual voice then ask that spirit to confess that Jesus Christ has come in the flesh and instantly nothing - it's just gone. And more amazing is when that spirit has the nerve to telling me -'I can't tell you that'. It almost funny. Yet you can't test the spirits as specifically instructed in the Bible unless you first have ears to hear. Yet if you do have ears to hear are we not going to practice using our spiritual ears? That brings me to another verse that I have not memorized but I kind of know for practical reasons. It basically says that by practicing using our spiritual senses (and we have five physical senses so don't we have five spiritual senses) we learn to discern good from evil.

Heb 5:14 But solid food is for the mature, who because of practice have their senses trained to discern good and evil.

So yeah- while I don't work at memorizing verses at all I can't help to think about many of them, simply because they have practical purposes in my life.

Of course I also think about some of the bits of wisdom He personally has told me. Things like:

WE HEAR WISDOM, BUT IS IT THE HEARING OR THE ACTING UPON IT THAT MAKES A MAN WISE?

YOU DIDN’T MAKE ME AN AWESOME GOD, BUT YOU CAN MAKE ME AN AWESOME GOD.

AS INSTRUCTIONS ARE GIVEN TO A SERVANT, AND WISDOM AND PARABLES TO A SON, AND AS JOKES ARE GIVEN TO A FRIEND, SO I LOVE YOU IS SAID TO A BRIDE.

WHAT TEACHER DOESN’T PUT A BOOK IN FRONT OF HIS STUDENTS TODAY; YET NOT JUST A BOOK BUT OVERHEAD TRANSPARENCIES, VISUALS, AND OTHER MATERIAL? FOR I TELL YOU TRULY, IF THEY ARE NOT LISTENING TO ME THEY ARE NOT MY PUPIL, THEY ARE NOT MY STUDENT; I TELL YOU TRULY, THEY ARE NOT MY DISCIPLE UNLESS THEY ARE HEARING FROM ME. SO DON’T TELL THEM TO READ THE BOOK, THEM TO TAKE THE CLASS!”

WHEN WE TALK TO GOD, GOD TALKS TO US……. WHEN WE LISTEN TO GOD, GOD LISTENS TO US!

I like the Scriptures - but honestly - I like hearing from Him personally more - just because it is personal. I especially like it when I hear Him tell me. "Karl, I love you". Imagine Him - the living Word of God who created all things telling me personally that He loves me. So it is that He excites me!!!

Karl Peters

May 18, 2021
Fontana
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ps 81:13 “Oh that My people would listen to Me, That Israel would walk in My ways!

God wants His people to listen to Him - that is not the same thing as reading the Bible - even though He will ask you to read your Bible and He will go over it with you. Yet He is not the Bible - He is the Word of God who wants His people to listen to Him!!

Is 1:2 Listen, O heavens, and hear, O earth; For the LORD speaks,...

Is 1:18 “Come now, and let us reason together, ”Says the LORD,...

Don't we know that you don't reason with a book - but you can reason with the Lord Jesus Christ because He is a person and not a book. His name is called "The Word of God" because you can reason with God but only if you understand that He will talk with you personally.

Jn 6:63 “It is the Spirit who gives life; the flesh profits nothing; the words that I have spoken to you are spirit and are life.

So it is not the ink on pages that are the words He has spoken to you but rather His words that come through His Holy Spirit to your spirit that are the words of God that give you life! The Bible explains this!

Romans 10:6-8 But the righteousness based on faith speaks as follows: “DO NOT SAY IN YOUR HEART, ‘WHO WILL ASCEND INTO HEAVEN?’ (that is, to bring Christ down), or ‘WHO WILL DESCEND INTO THE ABYSS?’ (that is, to bring Christ up from the dead).” But what does it say? “THE WORD IS NEAR YOU, IN YOUR MOUTH AND IN YOUR HEART”—that is, the word of faith which we are preaching,

So we are not saying in our heart that Jesus is still dead so that to hear from Him you have to be dead yourself and go into the abyss, nor are we saying in our heart that He is in some far off and unreachable place called heaven that we can't hear from Him until we get there so we now only have the Bible as His words. Indeed the Word of God we are preaching is near us (at all times) and since His words comes from His Holy Spirit you of course find them coming from your spirit which means you find them in your heart or sometime even in your mouth because what is on the heart tends to come out your mouth! So the Word of God we are preaching is not the Bible which might not always be that close to me, and it is not that I might memorize the Scriptures to keep those words close to me, because that too means I am saying in my heart that Jesus Christ is either dead or in a far off place called heaven neither of which I can get to so I might actually hear from Him personally. That is not the Word of God we are preaching!!!!!!!!!!!

He is near us!! He said He would never leave us!! He said He has sent His Holy Spirit and Him with His words!! So the Word of God we preach is near us, without actually memorizing Scriptures (but you can if you want). The Word of God is near us because He is God and in omni-present and He loves us - so He so badly wants us to listen to Him that He might helps us "Today"!!