Read the Word! Inspiration for all things Bible

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Wynona

Staff member
Encounter Team
Jan 27, 2021
North Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Brothers and Sisters,

I wanted to make a positive thread to spur each other on in all things Bible! I would love to celebrate and encourage us all in our reading strategies and accomplishments!

Try answering these questions.

1. What reasons should we read God's Word? How has it impacted your life so far?

2. What are some practical ways we can become more familiar with, memorize, and meditate on the Scriptures?

3. What are you reading in the Bible currently? What excites you? What stands out?

4. How much of the Bible have you read, memorized, and meditated on so far?

Wynona

Staff member
Encounter Team
Jan 27, 2021
North Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ill answer the questions I listed.

1. We should read the Bible because it is a spiritual weapon against the attacks of Satan (Ephesians 6:17).
Because it is fit for reproving, rebuking, and exhorting one another in the faith (2 Timothy 3:16). Because it keeps us from being ignorant when witnessing to others about the gospel of Jesus.
Because it helps us be sober and alert for end time events. And because deception is everywhere and even a lot of spiritual sounding things will lead us into error if we don't know God's Word.

2. I have this Bible memory app that is an excellent for memorizing Scriptures.

I used to read Scripture in the morning but now Id lile to try it in the evening when Im more awake. I would like to dedicate more than just a few minutes to it. I feel weird about spending hours on social media and 15 minutes in the Bible.

I might do better having a Bible hour in the afternoon.

Recently, I downloaded Biblesoft on my computer and am enjoying using that.

I also like to look up visuals of things described in Scripture on YouTube. Or like today, I googled what beryl looks like because I didn't know and it's mentioned in the book of Daniel.

As far as meditating on Scripture, I could use more tips on that.

I don't use this anymore but Daily Audio Bible is a great site for listening to the Bible in multiple translations and in multiple sections through the year.

3. I just finished the book of Daniel and I am loving the idea that God sends dreams that can be interpreted. Im also falling in love with the end times prophecy described there.

4. I'm glad to say I have read through the whole Bible at least once but upon reading it again, Im inclined to slow down. I do want to finish the rest through the New Testament before the year ends.

Wouldn't it be great if we made commitments for Bible reading for New Years together?

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2018
Bluffton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I love this Wynona!!!! Your answers too. I'll have to check out the memory app. Youversion has been very helpful for me. It has a lot of devotions and all the Bible translations on it. I haven't done the devotions in awhile on there. I do off and on. But I use the app for the Bible a lot. I'm visual also, so I like to make the Bible images and that is how I stay in the Word and renew my mind in the Word.

1. What reasons should we read God's Word? How has it impacted your life so far?

God's promises are important to remind ourselves about. You mentioned 2 Timothy 3:16 and that is exactly right as to why we should read the Word of God. Hosea 4:6 is something my pastor always reminds us, that God said His people were destroyed by lack of knowledge or rejection of knowledge. We have to be able to know the Word and be able to put it into practice, so when the storms come, we are already prepared. And in the good times, we are sharing the Gospel boldly.

2. What are some practical ways we can become more familiar with, memorize, and meditate on the Scriptures?

Sharing is the best way, as well as having accountability. It really helps. When I share with others scriptures like in the encouraging scriptures with Marvellous Time, and more often now on a couple other different forums, it not only encourages me and helps me meditate on scriptures, but it is encouraging others too. I would say Marvellous Time and Amigo with that thread has been the most impacting thread for me on CB. I would say it helped change my focus on forums. Also though, my church.... I've learned studying a number of different translations just helps in meditation and understanding. While I memorize in NASB, I believe my faith has activated this past year in ways that haven't in the past. Praying for wisdom and discernment is important also.

3. What are you reading in the Bible currently? What excites you? What stands out?

I need to get into some more in depth studies of passages. I read a lot of devotions now from Proverbs 31 ministries and I haven't seen @DBV, but share the daily Bible verse on a couple different forums. I haven't heard from @DBV in awhile so hope he is okay.

I know learning about healing has been exciting lately, that God is our Healer, always has, always will be.

Tonight I was reading Hebrews 10, but yeh. Currently, it is more different verses I just meditate on. Right now it is Hebrews 10:19-25

In the programs I was in I was required to memorize 250 scriptures, but I had far more then that memorized before coming in. I can't tell you if I remember addresses or not or verbatim every scripture today, but like all of Romans 12 I can just quote all 21 verses. It isn't regurgitation though. LOL. True revelation comes from repetition and study.

I would love accountability in Bible study. I learn best in groups, because I am a hands on/visual learner.

And I have to mention praise and worship also, this helps in meditating on the Word of God.

Last edited:

Wynona

Staff member
Encounter Team
Jan 27, 2021
North Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Mayflower

What if we had a goal for memorizing at least 120 verses in a year?

We could each try for 10 memory verses a month, and then add 10 more to the list each month!

I'd love that!

Reactions: Mayflower

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2018
Bluffton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Mayflower

What if we had a goal for memorizing at least 120 verses in a year?

We could each try for 10 memory verses a month, and then add 10 more to the list each month!

I'd love that!

I'd like to shoot for memorizing passages rather then verses here or there. I found memorizing Romans 12 I got a really good basis on what it was talking about. Psalms of praise or Proverbs, yeh I'd love to do something like that. If I'm typing by memory though don't expect me to get the punctuation right. LOL

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I'd like to shoot for memorizing passages rather then verses here or there. I found memorizing Romans 12 I got a really good basis on what it was talking about. Psalms of praise or Proverbs, yeh I'd love to do something like that. If I'm typing by memory though don't expect me to get the punctuation right. LOL
Hi @Mayflower Good to see you again; yes, memorizing Scripture is excellent; especially if you are still young enough for the mind to retain verses.... :)

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I love this Wynona!!!! Your answers too. I'll have to check out the memory app. Youversion has been very helpful for me. It has a lot of devotions and all the Bible translations on it. I haven't done the devotions in awhile on there. I do off and on. But I use the app for the Bible a lot. I'm visual also, so I like to make the Bible images and that is how I stay in the Word and renew my mind in the Word.

God's promises are important to remind ourselves about. You mentioned 2 Timothy 3:16 and that is exactly right as to why we should read the Word of God. Hosea 4:6 is something my pastor always reminds us, that God said His people were destroyed by lack of knowledge or rejection of knowledge. We have to be able to know the Word and be able to put it into practice, so when the storms come, we are already prepared. And in the good times, we are sharing the Gospel boldly.

Sharing is the best way, as well as having accountability. It really helps. When I share with others scriptures like in the encouraging scriptures with Marvellous Time, and more often now on a couple other different forums, it not only encourages me and helps me meditate on scriptures, but it is encouraging others too. I would say Marvellous Time and Amigo with that thread has been the most impacting thread for me on CB. I would say it helped change my focus on forums. Also though, my church.... I've learned studying a number of different translations just helps in meditation and understanding. While I memorize in NASB, I believe my faith has activated this past year in ways that haven't in the past. Praying for wisdom and discernment is important also.

I need to get into some more in depth studies of passages. I read a lot of devotions now from Proverbs 31 ministries and I haven't seen @DBV, but share the daily Bible verse on a couple different forums. I haven't heard from @DBV in awhile so hope he is okay.

I know learning about healing has been exciting lately, that God is our Healer, always has, always will be.

Tonight I was reading Hebrews 10, but yeh. Currently, it is more different verses I just meditate on. Right now it is Hebrews 10:19-25

In the programs I was in I was required to memorize 250 scriptures, but I had far more then that memorized before coming in. I can't tell you if I remember addresses or not or verbatim every scripture today, but like all of Romans 12 I can just quote all 21 verses. It isn't regurgitation though. LOL. True revelation comes from repetition and study.

I would love accountability in Bible study. I learn best in groups, because I am a hands on/visual learner.

And I have to mention praise and worship also, this helps in meditating on the Word of God.
@Mayflower These days we are indeed blessed to have the availability of many Scripture resources. Beyond the technology lies the challenge of being prayerfully diligent in the Word...

Wynona

Staff member
Encounter Team
Jan 27, 2021
North Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Okay. What if we memorized Matthew 5-7? We could memorize the sermon on the mount!

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
Nice thread @Wynona

Okay

1. Reading the bible gives you an idea of God's character so when someone for instance says, they got a word from the lord for themselves or for you regarding: direction or that the Lord told them this or that...it shows through his word whether or not something is from God. It also helps to have the Holy Spirit dwelling within you...because the Holy Spirit teaches you what the bible is saying. He reinterprets the bible for you in a way that you understand personally.

Reading the bible [Genesis-Revelation] also shows me that God loves eveyone he made and that he was willing to send members of his Godhead to come down to save that which was lost. To redeem, to justify to sanctify and to glorify those who believe in him by faith, through his Son. The Son of God, the Son of man....

2. I make little posts and place them all around the house. Particularly in areas that I frequent the most like on my bathroom mirror and every mirror, in my bedroom, on doors, on the fridge not forgetting the back and front door.

3. I enjoy and tend to read Ephesians the most. I like ephesians....It tells me about how we are to be armed every day in the full armour. The whole of ephesians is awesome! I also like the book of Galatians and Hebrews

4. I have read the bible from Genesis to Revelation....too many times for me to remember. I particularly enjoyed Chronicles in the OT. Memorized thousands of scripture because my old HG leader use to say that we needed to learn scripture and where it's found in the bible, off by heart just in case the lights went out lolol!:D:p

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Nice thread @Wynona

Okay

1. Reading the bible gives you an idea of God's character so when someone for instance says, they got a word from the lord for themselves or for you regarding: direction or that the Lord told them this or that...it shows through his word whether or not something is from God or not.

Reading the bible [Genesis-Revelation] also shows me that God loves eveyone he made and that he was willing to send members of his Godhead to come down to save that which was lost. To redeem, to justify to sanctify and to glorify those who believe in him by faith, through his Son. The Son of God, the Son of man....

2. I make little posts and place them all around the house. Particularly in areas that I frequent the most like on my bathroom mirror and every mirror, in my bedroom, on doors, on the fridge not forgetting the back and front door.

3. I enjoy and tend to read Ephesians the most. I like ephesians....It tell me about how we are to be armed every day in the full armour. The whole of ephesians is awesome!

4. I have read the bible from Genesis to Revelation....too many times for me to remember. I particularly enjoyed Chronicles in the OT. Memorized thousands of scripture because my old HG leader use to say that we needed to learn scripture and where it's found in the bible, off by heart just in case the lights went out lolol!:D:p
@Angelina My wife also has posted / hung various Scriptures in visible locations... :)

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2018
Bluffton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It's a challenge then! When should the deadline be?

I don't know. I haven't done this in awhile. LOL. I usually worked on a verse or two a week. It may be easier with a passage though. Because you are talking about chapter 5-7 right? Chapter 5 is 48 verses. How about first week of February for chapter 5? Be like five verses a week.

Reactions: farouk

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I don't know. I haven't done this in awhile. LOL. I usually worked on a verse or two a week. It may be easier with a passage though. Because you are talking about chapter 5-7 right? Chapter 5 is 48 verses. How about first week of February for chapter 5? Be like five verses a week.
@Mayflower Ongoing, diligent reading through the Word is such a blessing; my wife and I are currently in John's Gospel.

Wynona

Staff member
Encounter Team
Jan 27, 2021
North Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Alright, you've got it! Anyone else is welcome to join us in memorizing Matthew 5 by the first week of February.

Wynona

Staff member
Encounter Team
Jan 27, 2021
North Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Am on Matthew 5:2 today. Will add a verse each day until the whole thing is done.

I need to go ahead and start reading in Hosea. I would like to read through the whole Bible before the end of this year.

Reactions: amadeus

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2018
Bluffton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I am working on verses one through five this week. Because I want to have a deeper revelation and understanding as well as I memorize.

When Jesus saw the crowds, He went up on the mountain; and after He sat down, His disciples came to Him. He opened His mouth and began to teach them, saying, “Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. “Blessed are those who mourn, for they shall be comforted. “Blessed are the gentle, for they shall inherit the earth.
Matthew 5:1‭-‬5 NASB1995
Matthew 5:1-5 When Jesus saw the crowds, He went up on the mountain; and after He sat down, His disciples came to Him. He opened His mouth and began to teach them, saying, “Blessed are the poor in spirit, for their | New American Standard Bible - NASB 1995 (NASB1995) | Download The Bible App Now

Like what does it mean to be blessed?
What does it mean to be poor in spirit?

Couple good explanations I found:

What Did Jesus Mean by "Poor in Spirit" and How Can We Become This?

To be blessed:

Y’all, when Jesus told His people they would be “blessed” in the circumstances listed in the Beatitudes, it wasn’t because they would earn or be worthy of any blessing, but because in feeling and seeking and giving and working through these uncomfortable, difficult things, He would be with them. He alone is the Blessing!

To be poor in spirit:

Jesus wants us to humbly accept that in and of ourselves, we are not enough. We just aren’t enough, y’all. And we try to be. We try so, so hard to be self-sufficient and independent, as we sometimes believe the lie that those things are what make us strong. But oh, my sweet friends, those are the ways of the world, not the Kingdom of Heaven.
---

I didn't think about what it meant to be blessed. But in the beatitudes, Jesus said those who are persecuted for righteousness sake are blessed. So it isn't just good things. Being blessed is having God in it all and having Him work in our lives. There would be no blessing without God.

And poor in spirit is recognizing without God we are nothing.

I want to study more tomorrow why the meek/gentle inherit the earth.