Reading The Bible.

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Paul

Aug 19, 2006
I was just curious to what other peoples opinions are. I like hearing different sides. First of all, I don't believe that reading only certain parts of the bible, without reading the stories, can be considered studying the bible. I also don't think that it makes you credible to preach to other people. Now, I believe, if you've read the bible, and then want to study it that way - that's fine. What are your opinions on that?

I read Scripture different ways depending on if I am reading it for pleasure or reading it for study. More often than not when I am reading for pleasure it turns into a study and then I need to move from my easy chair to my office.

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
You can read the bible all you like, go to church, spend 30 years in bible college, it may qualify you in this world to preach but in Gods eyes it means nothing. God doesnt send us to preach the bible, He asks us to tell people of His Son then let them go to Him and learn for themseleves. We love certificates and diplomas, thinking that God actually cares about such things, we love to fill ourselves with knowledge of the bible but never come to Christ to be filled with Him. Reading the bible is like working in a gold mine, you spend lots of time digging through dirt trying to find nuggets of gold, when all you have to do is go to Jesus and let Him teach you the truth.

In His LOve

sniper762

Sep 5, 2007
You can read the bible all you like, go to church, spend 30 years in bible college, it may qualify you in this world to preach but in Gods eyes it means nothing. God doesnt send us to preach the bible, He asks us to tell people of His Son then let them go to Him and learn for themseleves. We love certificates and diplomas, thinking that God actually cares about such things, we love to fill ourselves with knowledge of the bible but never come to Christ to be filled with Him. Reading the bible is like working in a gold mine, you spend lots of time digging through dirt trying to find nuggets of gold, when all you have to do is go to Jesus and let Him teach you the truth.

In His LOve

how is one to even KNOW about jesus if they havent read of him or have been introduced to him by someone who has READ THE BIBLE? god wants us to read the bible and as complicated to properly understand it, as it is, studying it is imperative.

Paul

Aug 19, 2006

In His LOve

I believe He teaches us through His Word. He is the Word!

6stringedsignseeker

Mar 10, 2010
Fort Worth, Texas

In His LOve
I don't think you can truly come to know Jesus without reading the Bible. Old AND new testament. That's where we learn the truth. So I'm not sure I understand your last sentence here. 

WhiteKnuckle

Mar 29, 2009
I have a generaly more unorthodox way of study and learning than most.

Sometimes I'll read read read, and research a certain subject heavy for a few months. Sometimes I'll think of one verse of the Bible all the time. Sometimes I might see a situation and am reminded of a passage that I haven't thought of in a while and I'll start thinking of that.

Sometimes, I wont pick up the Bible for months and months. Then after a while I'll start feeling an urge to start reading it again. I might read everyday, or just read one verse. I might search one particular subject and check it out.

With me it all depends. It seems all at whim and random. I don't know how to explain it.

I've gon years and years thinking about one verse and not understand a single word of it. Then one day I'll be at work or driving to the store or mowing the lawn and all of a sudden, that verse pops into my head with a full explaination of what it means and I understand.

Reading things like this forum or sometimes articles bring lots of things to light and different ways of thinking and I get educated that way too.

I'm the type of person that values freedom and absolutely hates to bog down and feel like I'd better study, I'd better do this or that. I do it when it seems I want to and how I want because that's what works for me. Maybe I might be farther back in my memory of verses and certain explainations of meanings. But, I feel like I'm on the right track.

As long as God is a part of your life, study in a way that you feel comfortable with and works for you. If you're methodical then plan a study of a subject and do the research and take notes. If you're just wild and wooly then jump in and read what ever pops up or about what ever your thinking about.

Always involve prayer and trust the Lord and you'll learn what He wants you to learn when He wants you to learn it.

It does no good for me to sit and read and study when in all honesty my heart just isn't in it. As it turns out, I end up getting less out of the whole deal than I would if I was just sparked by curiosity.

I stay in a house full of great people, but their hypocricy is horrid. None of them (except the father), reads the whole bible, and they ALL condemn eachother! They don't believe that we all have our time to go, which to me is like not believing in God's will, they believe their sister got Lupus because she "MUST be a bad Christain or God would take it away!", 1 of the sisters had a misscarriage and the other sister said "it happened to her because she was living a life of sin", then that same sister too possibly had a misscarriage this year, one sister believes that if someone tries to shoot her and she says "I repent you!", that they WILL NOT NO MATTER WHAT shoot her.. OH and one sister believes it's totally okay to pray to win the lottery and God will answer her when she gets rid of sin in her life. I just.. I know that God is a powerful God, and there is nothing He can't do.. so if He wants for any of the above to be true, it can be true. To just ASSUME that it all is, seems prideful and and pitiful to me though. When I made a statement about it being someones time to go, one of the sisters started snapping on me saying that isn't true, and then telling me that "The bible isn't meant to be read like a book!! If you have a question, you use it to find the answers".. Which I ALSO disagree with because if you don't understand the full story, and you read a line that relates to your question, what if you don't understand it and misuse it? Ugh.. So much I've been wanting to discuss!

What a nightmare! I've known people like that. Alot of it stems from a misunderstanding of who and what God and His word is.

There are much deeper issues than misunderstanding scriptures though. Somewhere these people are very unhappy with themselves or think higher of themselves that they should.

I have to smile at some of it though. We all do it in some respect or another,,,,,"Maybe if I behave God will reward me" Everytime something bad happens we think,, "Maybe God is punishing me"

If we break it all down, I believe somethings just happen for no reason at all. Let's look at this,,,,,,

My daughter recently fell and busted out one of her adult teeth (she's 9). Does that mean God was punishing here for doing wrong? Does that mean that God was punishing her for my sins? Maybe...... It could also be that,,,,,,, Maybe someone left a chair in the wrong place in the play center she was at and she tripped over it and hit her mouth on it.

See, here's where one of those scriptures pops into my mind. (I had to look up which book and chapter, LOL)

Luke 13:1
1Now there were some present at that time who told Jesus about the Galileans whose blood Pilate had mixed with their sacrifices. 2Jesus answered, "Do you think that these Galileans were worse sinners than all the other Galileans because they suffered this way? 3I tell you, no! But unless you repent, you too will all perish. 4Or those eighteen who died when the tower in Siloam fell on them—do you think they were more guilty than all the others living in Jerusalem? 5I tell you, no! But unless you repent, you too will all perish."
6Then he told this parable: "A man had a fig tree, planted in his vineyard, and he went to look for fruit on it, but did not find any. 7So he said to the man who took care of the vineyard, 'For three years now I've been coming to look for fruit on this fig tree and haven't found any. Cut it down! Why should it use up the soil?'

8" 'Sir,' the man replied, 'leave it alone for one more year, and I'll dig around it and fertilize it. 9If it bears fruit next year, fine! If not, then cut it down.' "

Seems to me that sometimes things just happen. Although I believe our days are numbered and we each have an appointed time to die. I do believe we are punished/disciplined for our sins. Everything has consequences.

However, we know that God is Just, but we also know that God is merciful and desires mercy.

This whole deal of thinking that we are blessed because of our obedience and cursed for a sin leans real close to superstition IMHO. If I slip and cuss when someone cuts me off on my way to work and then cut my finger later that day,,,,, Does that mean I'm being punished?

To blatantly tell someone that their baby is sick or died because of Moms sins is a cold cruel and callouse thing to say. No one is qualified to make such a claim aside from Jesus himself. What should be done is comforting and praying and sympathy and love.

Try not to let these people get to you. One thing i've learned here lately is this.

Just because you're right doesn't mean you have to BE right.

fivesense

Mar 7, 2010
WI
My attention was gotten by this portion of Paul's letter to Timothy, in his arrest in Rome awaiting trial. It is noteworthy that the Scriptures record no evidence of his being martyred for his faith, or that he even came before the Roman courts. He indeed may have lived a long life. That he was prepared to die as Christ's slave is without doubt, that he did is not known.

"For I am now ready to be offered, and the time of my departure is at hand. I have fought a good fight, I have finished [my] course, I have kept the faith: Henceforth there is laid up for me a crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous judge, shall give me at that day: and not to me only, but unto all them also that love his appearing.... Do thy diligence to come shortly unto me: The cloke that I left at Troas with Carpus, when thou comest, bring [with thee], and the books, [but] especially the parchments". 2Ti 4

In the Originals it is scrolls and vellums, not books and parchments. Scrolls were made of papyrus and the Hebrew record was traditionally kept in that form, and vellums were the skins of animals used for contemporary letter writing. Having an accurate understanding of this can bring forth appreciation of the times in which he lived.

By the time of his imprisonment, Paul had lost everything in his faithfulness to God. Many Churches had already turned against him (2Tim 1:15), and he was destitute. With the coming of winter and being in prison, he requests that his cloak be brought and also the scrolls and especially the vellums.

What did a man like Paul, having received direct revelations and instruction from Christ out of heaven, need with scrolls and vellums? Wasn't he filled with the Holy Spirit to the maximum, and knew all the secrets of God? Didn't whatever he had to utter come from an abundance of spiritual life in union with God?

I can only conclude that the words he wrote to Timothy, " And that from a child thou hast known the holy scriptures, which are able to make thee wise unto salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus (2Ti 3:15), prove the need to know the Holy Writings. Paul found them as indispensible as the clothes on his back. And at a point that seemed to be the end of life's journey for him, his most important need that came to mind was the Word of God.

If it were only a matter of bringing a knowledge of the Christ to a person, then a less reverent approach to the Scriptures may be allowed. But when the Apostle to the Gentiles declares his need of them, in the face of death, then we ought to pay attention to this fact. The Writings are not merely "good reading material", but contain the life of the Logos out of heaven.

fivesense

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
The funny thing about biograpies, is that when people get to meet the people the books are written abut they usaully discover that the person resembles very littel of waht was wriiten. Is not Christ enough, how long are you goin to keep you head buried in the bible, while Jesus stands in front of you just waiting for you to look up and say, Hi Jesus, teach me. And who do you think God is that He is like man, that He needs the bible to save anyone, did Jonah have a bible, or did Peter or Paul. look at Saul,

Php 3:4 Though I might also have confidence in the flesh. If any other man thinketh that he hath whereof he might trust in the flesh, I more:
Php 3:5 Circumcised the eighth day, of the stock of Israel, of the tribe of Benjamin, an Hebrew of the Hebrews; as touching the law, a Pharisee;
Php 3:6 Concerning zeal, persecuting the church; touching the righteousness which is in the law, blameless.
Php 3:7 But what things were gain to me, those I counted loss for Christ.
Php 3:8 Yea doubtless, and I count all things but loss for the excellency of the knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord: for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and do count them but dung, that I may win Christ,
Php 3:9 And be found in him, not having mine own righteousness, which is of the law, but that which is through the faith of Christ, the righteousness which is of God by faith:
Php 3:10 That I may know him, and the power of his resurrection, and the fellowship of his sufferings, being made conformable unto his death;

how is a man loved by the pharrisees, knowing the scripures, but in the end persecuting Jesus for he thought he had it all, then upon having a revelation of Jesus was willing to toss all He knew away just so he could Know Jesus, and the only wat he could do that was to learn from Him, there is no book ever written, no tale that could ever be told, no song that was ever sung that can show you Jesus. If you want Jesus then go to Him, for is it not He who said, "My sheep hear my voice and will follow no other"

or

Joh 10:14 I am the good shepherd, and know my sheep, and am known of mine.

Do you want to Know Jesus, or is knowing about Him enough, for it is written

Jas 2:19 Thou believest that there is one God; thou doest well: the devils also believe, and tremble.

Again

"I am the way the truth and the life, no man shall come to the father except by me"

You have the foundation, now let Jesus do the building.

In His LOve

Joh 6:63 It is the spirit that quickeneth; the flesh profiteth nothing: the words that I speak unto you, they are spirit, and they are life.

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
In simple terms
Is Jesus al;ive or is He dead,

If he is dead then keep reading the bible, keep going to church for to you all He will ever be is a story character, an idol to be worshipped,

But Jesus is alive

1Co 15:4 And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures:

Joh 20:14 And when she had thus said, she turned herself back, and saw Jesus standing, and knew not that it was Jesus.
Joh 20:15 Jesus saith unto her, Woman, why weepest thou? whom seekest thou? She, supposing him to be the gardener, saith unto him, Sir, if thou have borne him hence, tell me where thou hast laid him, and I will take him away.
Joh 20:16 Jesus saith unto her, Mary. She turned herself, and saith unto him, Rabboni; which is to say, Master.

Joh 20:19 Then the same day at evening, being the first day of the week, when the doors were shut where the disciples were assembled for fear of the Jews, came Jesus and stood in the midst, and saith unto them, Peace be unto you.

Joh 21:1 After these things Jesus shewed himself again to the disciples at the sea of Tiberias; and on this wise shewed he himself.

Act 9:4 And he fell to the earth, and heard a voice saying unto him, Saul, Saul, why persecutest thou me?
Act 9:5 And he said, Who art thou, Lord? And the Lord said, I am Jesus whom thou persecutest: it is hard for thee to kick against the pricks.

What is it you think, that you are not good enough for Jesus, that you cant hear from Him, what foolishness is it that you have being listening to, for it is this puropose that Christ died, that we could all have Him, that we could all share in His life and that
we could all hear from Him. Jesus is not for the rightous, or the wise, those who wear fancy robes and call themselevs teacher, or priest, no Jesus is for those who are humble in heart, who love Him more then life itself, He is for the sick and the weak, the poor, and lonely, those in prison and those who truly desire Him. What is it that you have never called to Him, never desired His voice. He is their, NOW just waiting for you to say," Jesus, here I am teach me". or is He a liar when He says" Ask and it shall be Given".

In His LOve

brionne

May 31, 2010
Australia
In simple terms
Is Jesus al;ive or is He dead,

If he is dead then keep reading the bible, keep going to church for to you all He will ever be is a story character, an idol to be worshipped,

What is it that you have never called to Him, never desired His voice. He is their, NOW just waiting for you to say," Jesus, here I am teach me". or is He a liar when He says" Ask and it shall be Given".

In His LOve

If it were not for the bible, we would know nothing of Jesus or God.

We need to the bible full stop. The bible has been breathed by Gods spirit, it is his word to us for our instruction. If we ignore that instruction and think that we dont need it, that we can somehow gain knowlege of God and Jesus through our own intelligence, then we are fooling ourselves.

Paul said "all things written aforetime were written for our instruction, that thru the comfort from the scriptures, we might have hope" Romans 15:4

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Why Pegg, do you honsetly think God s so small that He cant save someone simply because they never had a bible. How do you think God svaed people before printing came about. Oh yes the Holy Spirirt He taught the disciples, He led them to where they needed to be and stopped them from going to where they wernt. CLose the book, be led by the Spirirt, it is so much more excitng being taught by Jesus.

Look up for your redemtion drwas nigh.

We need to the bible full stop. The bible has been breathed by Gods spirit, it is his word to us for our instruction. If we ignore that instruction and think that we dont need it, that we can somehow gain knowlege of God and Jesus through our own intelligence, then we are fooling ourselves.

Paul said "all things written aforetime were written for our instruction, that thru the comfort from the scriptures, we might have hope" Romans 15:4

brionne

May 31, 2010
Australia
Why Pegg, do you honsetly think God s so small that He cant save someone simply because they never had a bible. How do you think God svaed people before printing came about. Oh yes the Holy Spirirt He taught the disciples, He led them to where they needed to be and stopped them from going to where they wernt. CLose the book, be led by the Spirirt, it is so much more excitng being taught by Jesus.

Look up for your redemtion drwas nigh.

I know exactly what you are saying about being led by the holy spirit and I agree that its important. Its exactly what Jesus said would help those early diciples to know all that they needed to know.

But what was the knowledge that the spirit gave them? It wasnt new knowledge, rather it was 'understanding' of the knowledge they already had of the hebrew scriptures.

Have you seen how many references the NT writers make to the OT prophecies? Perhaps if you dont read the bible you havnt seen them, but the fact is that the holy spirit guided their understanding of the OT prophecies and how Jesus fulfilled those prophecies. Thats why they became so confident in Jesus sacrifice....because they understood how he fulfilled the law.

fivesense

Mar 7, 2010
WI
It is in the intellect, the mind, that transformation takes place. We were alienated from God because of our thinking. Words change our thinking. The Holy Spirit bears witness with our spirits, convincing us of our needs, and the heart humbly bows to God's grace.

If the possibility of deception were not so great, even in believers, God would have left out His teaching, and let spirit rule the process we are in. Were we totally free of fleshly and carnal influences, then possibly a life without the written Word would suffice. But it is not so, and the leaven of the Pharisee remains today, along with other demonic teachings that appeal to the flesh and masquerade as truth.

The written Word is integral to our relationship to Him. If we do not revere it as if it were the Christ Himself, we are deluding ourselves and giving place to the Adversary.

Mt 7:28 And it came to pass, when Jesus ended these words, the multitudes were astonished at his teaching,
Jn 7:16 Jesus answered them and said, 'My teaching is not mine, but His who sent me;
Jn 7:17 if any one may will to do His will, he shall know concerning the teaching, whether it is of God, or-I do speak from myself.
1Ti 1:10... and if there be any other thing that is contrary to sound doctrine;
Eph 4:14 That we [henceforth] be no more children, tossed to and fro, and carried about with every wind of doctrine
1Ti 1:3 that thou mightest charge some that they teach no other doctrine,
1Ti 4:6 thou shalt be a good minister of Jesus Christ, nourished up in the words of faith and of good doctrine, whereunto thou hast attained.
1Ti 4:13 Till I come, give attendance to reading, to exhortation, to doctrine.
1Ti 4:16 Take heed unto thyself, and unto the doctrine; continue in them:
1Ti 5:17 . especially they who labour in the word and doctrine.
1Ti 6:1 that the name of God and [his] doctrine be not blasphemed.
1Ti 6:3 If any man teach otherwise, and consent not to wholesome words, [even] the words of our Lord Jesus Christ, and to the doctrine which is according to godliness;
2Ti 3:10 . But thou hast fully known my doctrine, manner of life, purpose, faith, longsuffering, charity, patience,
2Ti 3:16 All scripture [is] given by inspiration of God, and [is] profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:
2Ti 4:2, exhort with all longsuffering and doctrine.
2Ti 4:3 For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine;
Ti 1:9 Holding fast the faithful word as he hath been taught, that he may be able by sound doctrine both to exhort and to convince the gainsayers.
Ti 2:1 . But speak thou the things which become sound doctrine:
Ti 2:7 In all things shewing thyself a pattern of good works: in doctrine [shewing] uncorruptness, gravity, sincerity,
Ti 2:10 Not purloining, but shewing all good fidelity; that they may adorn the doctrine of God our Saviour in all things.
2Jn 1:9 Whosoever transgresseth, and abideth not in the doctrine of Christ, hath not God. He that abideth in the doctrine of Christ, he hath both the Father and the Son.
2Jn 1:10 . If there come any unto you, and bring not this doctrine, receive him not into [your] house, neither bid him God speed:

fivesense

meecrob

May 30, 2010
Niles, MI

In His LOve

The bible wasn't written to be just a biography. It's God's Laws, God's ways, God's teachings, God's examples. Reading it, and understanding it, is very important.

In His LOve

Also, you're making an assumption that everyone who reads and studies the bible only does so to preach and condemn people. I find it that most people who don't fully really the bible, or don't truely understand God's words, are the ones who are mislead, preach, and condemn.

I do it for my relationship with God. I want to be the best I can be in His eyes. No one is perfect, no one is without sin, but I can try my hardest. I know from experience that preaching when a person doesn't want to preached to, is only damaging. I would never do that, unless I am defending myself.

sniper762

Sep 5, 2007
The bible wasn't written to be just a biography. It's God's Laws, God's ways, God's teachings, God's examples. Reading it, and understanding it, is very important.

Also, you're making an assumption that everyone who reads and studies the bible only does so to preach and condemn people. I find it that most people who don't fully really the bible, or don't truely understand God's words, are the ones who are mislead, preach, and condemn.

I do it for my relationship with God. I want to be the best I can be in His eyes. No one is perfect, no one is without sin, but I can try my hardest. I know from experience that preaching when a person doesn't want to preached to, is only damaging. I would never do that, unless I am defending myself.

you say "no one is without sin". that bothers me, for i thought that when a sinner confesses, truly repents and asks god for forgiveness that god promises to grant that forgiveness and their sins are remembered no more. when i was forgiven of my sins, at that time i became "sinless" and "without sin". i hope to stay that way even though in YOUR eyes, i nor any man is WITHOUT SIN.

WhiteKnuckle

Mar 29, 2009
you say "no one is without sin". that bothers me, for i thought that when a sinner confesses, truly repents and asks god for forgiveness that god promises to grant that forgiveness and their sins are remembered no more. when i was forgiven of my sins, at that time i became "sinless" and "without sin". i hope to stay that way even though in YOUR eyes, i nor any man is WITHOUT SIN.

Interesting. Seems to me that, Yes, NO ONE is without sin. However, when we confess our sins are forgiven and remembered no more. When we are saved we are made holy.

So, in a way, I believe we are "without" sin. But, obviously even those who are saved sin,,,,, so,,,,, I wonder if it might be better to describe this as,, "No one can remove sins on their own." As in without Christ you will stay in your sin, with Christ you will be removed.

I think that's also what God means when he says, "My grace is sufficient for you." Meaning that he knows you're going to sin sometime after you're saved, but his grace is sufficent to cover mistakes and not beat ourselves up over it because He has the Power to completely remove them.

We are promised that we'll be presented before the throne without sin because of Jesus.

Paul

Aug 19, 2006
Interesting. Seems to me that, Yes, NO ONE is without sin. However, when we confess our sins are forgiven and remembered no more. When we are saved we are made holy.

So, in a way, I believe we are "without" sin. But, obviously even those who are saved sin,,,,, so,,,,, I wonder if it might be better to describe this as,, "No one can remove sins on their own." As in without Christ you will stay in your sin, with Christ you will be removed.

I think that's also what God means when he says, "My grace is sufficient for you." Meaning that he knows you're going to sin sometime after you're saved, but his grace is sufficent to cover mistakes and not beat ourselves up over it because He has the Power to completely remove them.

We are promised that we'll be presented before the throne without sin because of Jesus.

We all sin because it is a pert of our nature to sin. We confess our sin when we first become Christ- men and must continue to confess them on a regular basis. Hear these words from Scripture:

1Jn 1:1 That which was from the beginning, which we have heard, which we have seen with our eyes, which we have looked upon, and our hands have handled, of the Word of life;
1Jn 1:2 (For the life was manifested, and we have seen it, and bear witness, and shew unto you that eternal life, which was with the Father, and was manifested unto us;)
1Jn 1:3 That which we have seen and heard declare we unto you, that ye also may have fellowship with us: and truly our fellowship is with the Father, and with his Son Jesus Christ.
1Jn 1:4 And these things write we unto you, that your joy may be full.
1Jn 1:5 This then is the message which we have heard of him, and declare unto you, that God is light, and in him is no darkness at all.
1Jn 1:6 If we say that we have fellowship with him, and walk in darkness, we lie, and do not the truth:
1Jn 1:7 But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin.
1Jn 1:8 If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us.
1Jn 1:9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.
1Jn 1:10 If we say that we have not sinned, we make him a liar, and his word is not in us.

1Jn 1:9
If we confess (ean homologōmen). Third-class condition again with ean and present active subjunctive of homologeō, “if we keep on confessing.”

sniper762

Sep 5, 2007
i think the phrase is "go and sin no more". if one is forgiven and doesn't sin anymore, then there is no need to KEEP confessing.

jiggyfly

Nov 27, 2009
North Carolina

I beg to differ, did Abraham have any scripture let alone a bible? Sure the scriptures are great for instruction and a fabulous blessing. But just look at what Jesus says to each of the seven churches.

"Anyone who is willing to hear should listen to the Spirit and understand what the Spirit is saying to the churches."

If the it is impossible to know God without the bible than there are many who are in trouble because they couldn't read or were mentally challenged.
smile.gif

Isn't this a form of gnosticism? Paul said that knowledge puffs up but love edifies. Is it possible to love without reading scripture?
smile.gif

Paul

Aug 19, 2006
i think the phrase is "go and sin no more". if one is forgiven and doesn't sin anymore, then there is no need to KEEP confessing.

Sniper, the phrase is "go and sin no more" is used by Christ when talking to the woman caught in adultery. He is telling her, “go and sin no more,” meaning go and do not commit adultery any more. We are human and we still live in flesh bodies which means we will continue to sin, at least I know I continue to sin even when I don’t want to, you maybe concurred it but I doubt it.

Again:
1Jn 1:6 If we say that we have fellowship with him, and walk in darkness, we lie, and do not the truth:
1Jn 1:7 But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin.
1Jn 1:8 If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us.