Recommendations for studying after the Gospel of John?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Azim

Sep 25, 2020
Vancouver
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Hello. I've been leading a bible study for a small group of youth and young adults at my church. I took over a few months ago, and we've been going through the Gospel of John. We'll be finishing it this Friday, and I was wondering what some here would recommend to study next, either in the Old Testament or New Testament?

O'Darby

Feb 17, 2024
Arizona
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Just my $0.02 worth (which, when I was a lawyer, would have been my $350.00 worth), but since John is so mystical and so different from the Synoptics, I would probably go to either Matthew or Luke (probably Luke) for a more down-to-earth perspective. It seems to me that the differences could provide a lot of food for discussion and possibly even the occasional fistfight. :)

• Love
Reactions: Nancy and Azim

GTW27

Dec 6, 2018
wilderness
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hello. I've been leading a bible study for a small group of youth and young adults at my church. I took over a few months ago, and we've been going through the Gospel of John. We'll be finishing it this Friday, and I was wondering what some here would recommend to study next, either in the Old Testament or New Testament?
Perhaps taking this to prayer is in order for He knows what they need.

• Love
Reactions: Nancy and Azim

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It would take a while, but I think we should all read the Bible cover to cover. Why not do a study on Genesis?

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

3 John. It's only 15 verses long.

Reactions: Azim

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If you're up to a challenge, you could try Romans. Protestant theology is grounded on the "Romans Road".

I've been part of three studies of Romans, and each one was a little different.

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
The book of Hosea is about Ephraim....the Gentile church. A people who were not a people who are now the people of God.

From the beginning, Israel was BOTH a nation (goy) AND a congregation of nations (kehal goyim). Gen. 35:11

"And God said unto him, I am God Almighty: be fruitful and multiply; a nation and a company of nations shall be of thee, and kings shall come out of thy loins;" Gen. 35:11

Basically, natural Israel and spiritual Israel.

RedFan

May 15, 2022
New Hampshire
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Does it have to be book of the a Bible next? If not, I'd recommend James Louis Martyn’s book History and Theology in the Fourth Gospel.

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel

Study these for a while.

Romans 3:21-28

Hebrews 13:9

2 Corinthians 5:19

John 3:17

Romans 4:8

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
My question is, how much is one really willingly to teach?

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel

Its not about how much.

Its about .. is what is being Taught, the Truth.

And when a person does not understand the Truth, how can they teach it ?? How can they Believe it ??

And a person says..>"well behold, how do you know who is teaching the Truth"

A.) Just ask Paul's Epistles, as there is where you find what Jesus has delivered to the Body of Christ as "Doctrine for the Church".

So, LISTEN to the person who showed you that, and not to heretics who are clueless regarding what i just showed you.... reader.

Reader...If you are hearing me, and want to know where to go to study..,

Go here.. and stay for a WHILE.

Romans 3:21-28

Hebrews 13:9

2 Corinthians 5:19

Romans 3:17

Romans 4:8

JohnDB

Feb 7, 2010
TN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Actually...
The Gospel of John is a study of theology if done completely. It destroys all notions of gnosticism and calvinism completely.

So....just a thought with all that going on rattling about in their heads I would recommend the Book of James. Comes right after Hebrews.

James is a book about humility in action. And it's one of those things that the overchurched and self-righteous need to hear quite often.

Azim

Sep 25, 2020
Vancouver
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Thanks everyone for your recommendations. I'll pray about it, and see where God leads us for the study. I appreciate everyone's input, as it is helpful.

Azim

Sep 25, 2020
Vancouver
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada

For the study I'm in charge of, I just view my position to lead and allow the Holy Spirit to teach us. Not just through me, but also through those who attend. Its been a blessing, as I've learned many things myself during each study. I have put a big importance on us being taught by the Holy Spirit, and God is for sure speaking during our meetings.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
For the study I'm in charge of, I just view my position to lead and allow the Holy Spirit to teach us. Not just through me, but also through those who attend. Its been a blessing, as I've learned many things myself during each study. I have put a big importance on us being taught by the Holy Spirit, and God is for sure speaking during our meetings.
From an Education perspective, it would be good to teach Matthew - Luke - John - Mark. All of those to be gone over in a group collective is beneficial. Going verse by verse chapter by chapter for edification and growth and knowledge of God, for knowing God is life eternal. I think it good to pray before starting and ending. Hoping to teach by the spirit but anything that may come out that is wrong or needs to be checked out should be checked! Never to put trust in the pastor but God above. Thank you, Azim.