Redemption ?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Incorrect. Luther did not invent Sola Scriptura and it does in fact have plenty of support. Here's just a sample.

Irenaeus (ca. 150)
Against Heresies 3.1.1

“We have learned from none others the plan of our salvation, than
from those through whom the gospel has come down to us, which they
did at one time proclaim in public, and, at a later period, by the will of
God, handed down to us in the Scriptures, to be the ground and pillar
of our faith.”

Clement of Alexandria (d. 215)
The Stromata, 7:16

“But those who are ready to toil in the most excellent pursuits, will not
desist from the search after truth, till they get the demonstration from
the Scriptures themselves.”

Gregory of Nyssa (d.ca, 395)
“On the Holy Trinity”, NPNF, p. 327

“Let the inspired Scriptures then be our umpire, and the vote of truth
will be given to those whose dogmas are found to agree with the
Divine words.”

Athanasius (c. 296–373)
Against the Heathen, 1:3

“The holy and inspired Scriptures are fully sufficient for the
proclamation of the truth.”

Basil the Great (ca.329–379)
On the Holy Spirit, 7.16

“We are not content simply because this is the tradition of the Fathers.
What is important is that the Fathers followed the meaning of the
Scripture.”

Ambrose (340–397 A.D.)
On the Duties of the Clergy, 1:23:102

“For how can we adopt those things which we do not find in the holy
Scriptures?”

St. Augustine (354–430)
De unitate ecclesiae, 10

“Neither dare one agree with catholic bishops if by chance they err in
anything, but the result that their opinion is against the canonical
Scriptures of God.”

Thomas Aquinas (1225–1274)
Summa Theologiae, Question 1, art. 8

“For our faith rests on the revelation made to the Prophets and
Apostles who wrote the canonical books.”
This is the most asinine defense of Sola Scriptura I've ever seen because we you're using extrabiblical testimony (falsely, by the way) to support something that can ONLY be supported by Scripture itself. Unfortunately for YOU - Scripture doesn't do that. It NEVER claims to be our sole rule of Authority.

In fact, Scripture emphatically states that the CHURCH is our Supreme Authority on earth:

Matt 16:16-19
I will give YOU the keys to the kingdom of heaven. WHATEVER YOU bind on earth shall be bound in heaven; and WHATEVER YOU loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven."

Matt. 18:15-18
"If your brother sins (against you), go and tell him his fault between you and him alone. If he listens to you, you have won over your brother.
If he does not listen, take one or two others along with you, so that 'every fact may be established on the testimony of two or three witnesses.'
If he refuses to listen to them, TELL THE CHURCH. If he refuses to listen even to the CHURCH, then treat him as you would a Gentile or a tax collector.

Amen, I say to you, WHATEVER YOU bind on earth shall be bound in heaven, and WHATEVER YOU loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.

John 16:12-15
“I have much more to tell you, but you cannot bear it now.
But when he comes, the Spirit of truth, he will guide you to ALL truth. He will not speak on his own, but he will speak what he hears, and will declare to YOU the things that are coming.
He will glorify me, because he will TAKE from what is MINE and declare it to YOU.
Everything that the Father has is MINE; for this reason I told you that he will TAKE from what is MINE and declare it to YOU.

Luke 10:16
Whoever listens to YOU listens to ME. Whoever rejects YOU rejects ME. And whoever rejects ME rejects the ONE who sent ME."

John 20:21-23
Jesus said to them again, “Peace be with you. As the Father has sent me, so I send YOU.” And when he had said this, he breathed on them and said to them, “Receive the holy Spirit. Whose sins YOU FORGIVE are forgiven them, and whose sins YOU RETAIN are retained.”

These promises were NOT given to the individual believer - but to the Authority of Christ's Church.

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Never thought we were His stooges. And you know I do not think that. We are part of a Blessed honor in serving Christ. God Bless!
Then explain what is mean when Paul says that we are "co-workers" with God . . .

Last edited:

EndTimeWine

Nov 5, 2017
Albany
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Never thought we were His stooges. And you know I do not think that. We are part of a Blessed honor in serving Christ. God Bless!
Paul calls us "Sunergos" - "CO-WORKERS" (1 Cor. 3:9, 2 Cor. 6:1) with God.
We are not God's stooges - we are His co-workers.

Explain to me what this means.
"Co-Workers" are those whom we work with in a similar role, they are the planters, but God gives the growth as it says in other parts of this chapter and scripture. Can co-workers or (fellow workers) to be exact, redeem?In whom are we redeemed? Christ! Let me ask you, if you bring someone to Christ, yet you at some point fall away does that affect the redemption of that person who does not?No! Because ones redemption relies solely on Christ, who can never fall away. To me( REDEEMER) is Like Holy Trinity no one can have certain titles. We can be of, and be Holy but can not be it. And as for co-worker..... it is one who brings God, God is still the only growth giver we are not. How does co-worker=co-redeemer, just because co is in front of something does not make it a valid claim.
Co-Redemptrix is a title used by some Roman Catholics for the Blessed Virgin Mary, as well as a Catholic theological concept referring to Mary's role in the redemption of all peoples. It has always been controversial and has never formed part of the dogma of the Church.
Co-Redemptrix - Wikipedia

To me, Mary revealed a title given her by the Creator,(Immaculate Conception) and it can be supported by scripture when understood as I have given understanding of it, through the Holy Spirit. It can not be dismantled as I understand it. As the Catholic church explains it, it can. She never gave us the meaning of this statement, at the time. And men presumed to know and interpret. Its, meaning and understanding is meant for this time. God does not always show His Hand right away. It is enough that in love people believed. And since the Apparition gave glory to Christ, and states Christ came in the flesh: 1John 4:2, it is TRUE.

When Mary appeared to Bernadette the second time , Bernadette had Holy water on hand , because she wanted to make sure the vision was not a deception. So she said, when "The Beautiful Lady" appeared to her again, (while throwing Holy Water at her)- "If you are not of God go away!"Then Mary preceded to take out Rosary beads and lead Bernadette in the confessing that Christ came in the flesh, for the very Rosary states that He did. Therefore this apparition is true. However, no meaning was given concerning the title "Immaculate Conception". Until NOW!

Last edited:

Nomad

Post Tenebras Lux
Aug 9, 2009
Philadelphia, PA.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This is the most asinine defense of Sola Scriptura I've ever seen because we you're using extrabiblical testimony (falsely, by the way) to support something that can ONLY be supported by Scripture itself. Unfortunately for YOU - Scripture doesn't do that. It NEVER claims to be our sole rule of Authority.

It would appear that like most Roman Catholics, you completely misunderstand what Sola Scriptura actually entails. Sola Scriptura means that Scripture alone is the final court of appeal regarding all matters of faith and practice. If your theology/tradition contradicts that which is "theopneustos" (God-breathed - 2 Tim. 3:16), then it is to be rejected. This standard is painfully obvious and indisputable. Unfortunately for YOU - the early Church understood this completely. See all of the quotes I posted in that regard in my previous post.

Reactions: FHII and Dcopymope

Nomad

Post Tenebras Lux
Aug 9, 2009
Philadelphia, PA.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Wrong.

That's like saying that to swim, swimming, swam and have swum are the same exact word used exactly the same way. They're not. Kecharitomene is a variation of charitoo - it's the perfect participle of that word, not the same exact word.

Sorry, but your examples completely miss the mark. Observe:

Luke 1:28 - "kecharitomene" having been graced one. (Said of Mary)

Eph. 1:6 - "echaritosen" He graced us. (Said of Paul and the Ephesians)

This is the extent of the difference between "kecharitomene" and "echaritosen." Good luck with that. Notice how "kecharitomene" in no way supports Rome's exaggerated, even blasphemous view of Mary.

Reactions: FHII and Dcopymope

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It would appear that like most Roman Catholics, you completely misunderstand what Sola Scriptura actually entails. Sola Scriptura means that Scripture alone is the final court of appeal regarding all matters of faith and practice. If your theology/tradition contradicts that which is "theopneustos" (God-breathed - 2 Tim. 3:16), then it is to be rejected. This standard is painfully obvious and indisputable. Unfortunately for YOU - the early Church understood this completely. See all of the quotes I posted in that regard in my previous post.
Oh, you mean those out of context quotes?
NONE of those Fathers believed in Sola Scriptura. Here is what the ones YOU quoted actually believed about your heresy:

Irenaeus said:
The Catholic Church possesses one and the same faith throughout the whole world, as we have already said (Against Heresies 1:10 [A.D. 189]).

But since it would be too long to enumerate in such a volume as this the succession of all the churches, we shall confound all those who, in whatever manner, whether through self-satisfaction or vainglory, or through blindness and wicked opinion, assemble other than where it is proper, by pointing out here the successions of the bishops of the greatest and most ancient church known to all, founded and organized at Rome by the two most glorious apostles. Peter and Paul, that church which has the tradition and the faith which comes down to us after having been announced to men by the apostles. With that church, because of its superior origin, all the churches must agree, that is, all the faithful in the whole world, and it is in her that the faithful everywhere have maintained the apostolic tradition (Against Heresies 3:3:2 [inter A.D. 180-190]).

Ch. 26 of Against Heresies is entitled THE TRUE EXPOSITION OF THE SCRIPTURES IS TO BE FOUND IN THE CHURCH ALONE”

Clement of Alexandria said:
For those are slothful who, having it in their power to provide themselves with proper proofs for the divine Scriptures from the Scriptures themselves, select only what contributes to their own pleasures. And those have a craving for glory who voluntarily evade, by arguments of a diverse sort, the things delivered by the blessed apostles and teachers, which are wedded to inspired words; opposing the divine tradition by human teachings, in order to establish the heresy.

Gregory of Nyssa said:
“Let [Eunomius] first show, then, that the Church has believed in vain that the Only-begotten Son truly exists, not made such through adoption by a Father falsely so-called, but existing as such according to nature, by generation from Him Who Is, not estranged from the nature of Him who begot Him…It suffices for the PROOF of our statement that we have a TRADITION coming down from the FATHERS, an inheritance as it were, by SUCCESSION from the Apostles through the SAINTS who came after them.” ( C. Eunomius 3(4) )

“…I say, that the Church teaches this in plain language, that the Only-begotten is essentially God, very God of the essence of the very God, how OUGHT one who OPPOSES HER DECISIONS to overthrow the preconceived opinion?” ( C. Eunomius 4,6 )

Athanasius said:
“But,
beyond these sayings [of Scripture], let us look at the very tradition, teaching, and faith of the Catholic Church from the beginning, which the Lord gave, the Apostles preached and the Fathers kept.” (To Serapion 1:28; after citing biblical passages concerning the deity of the Holy Spirit)

“But after him and with him are all inventors of unlawful heresies, who indeed refer to the Scriptures, but do not hold such opinions as the saints have handed down, and receiving them as the traditions of men, err, because they do not rightly know them nor their power.” (Festal Letter 2:6)

Basil the Great said:
“The one aim of the whole band of opponents and enemies of ‘sound doctrine’ (1 Timothy 1:10) is to shake down the foundation of the faith of Christ by levelling apostolic tradition with the ground, and utterly destroying it. So like the debtors,— of course bona fide debtors— they clamor for written proof, and reject as worthless the unwritten tradition of the Fathers.
Of the beliefs and practices whether generally accepted or publicly enjoined which are preserved in the Church some we possess derived from written teaching; others we have received delivered to us “in a mystery” by the tradition of the apostles; and both of these in relation to true religion have the same force.
(The Holy Spirit, 10:25; NPNF 2, Vol. VIII)

Ambrose said:
“Wherefore all other generations are strangers to truth; all the generations of heretics hold not the truth: the church alone, with pious affection, is in possession of the truth.” Ambrose, Commentary of Psalm 118,19 (A.D. 388).

St. Augustine said:

"I would not believe in the Gospel myself if the authority of the Catholic Church did not influence me to do so." Against the letter of Mani, 5,6, 397 A.D.
“To be sure, although on this matter, we
cannot quote a clear example taken from the canonical Scriptures, at any rate, on this question, we are following the true thought of Scriptures when we observe what has appeared good to the universal Church which the authority of these same Scriptures recommends to you; thus, since Holy Scripture cannot be mistaken, anyone fearing to be misled by the obscurity of this question has only to consult on this same subject this very Church which the Holy Scriptures point out without ambiguity.” (Against Cresconius I:33; in Eno, 134)

Thomas Aquinas said:
The Apostles, led by the inward stirring of the Holy Ghost, handed down to the churches certain instructions which they did not leave in writing, but which have been ordained in accordance with the observance of the Church as practiced by the faithful as time went on. Therefore the Apostle says: 'STAND FAST, AND HOLD THE TRADITIONS WHICH YOU HAVE LEARNED, WHETHER BY WORD' -- that is by word of mouth -- 'OR BY OUR EPISTLE' -- that is by word put into writing (2 Thess 2:15)....

The formal object of faith is Primary Truth as manifested in Holy Scripture and in the teaching of the Church which proceeds from the Primary Truth. Hence, he who does not embrace the teaching of the Church as a divine and infallible law does not possess the habit of faith.

It is what the Church teaches about Scripture that is genuine - NOT what any individual thinks about what the Scriptures say.
So much for your OUT OF CONTEXT quotes . . .

The false doctrine of Sola Scriptura that was invented by Martin Luther in the 16th century posits that Scripture alone is our sole authority in all matters of faith. YOU can call it the "final court of appeal" - but it means the same thing.

NOWHERE in Scripture will you find support for this false doctrine.
2 Tim 3:16 simply says:
All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that the servant of God may be.

As I educated you earlier - Scripture is emphatic that Christ's CHURCH is the final court of appeal - the Supreme Earthly Authority.
When YOU can shoe me as much Scriptural support for the Authority of Scripture as there is for the Authority of the Church which I presented in post #161 - then you might have something.

Until then, however, you're simply blowing hot, anti-Catholic wind . . .

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

This is the extent of the difference between "kecharitomene" and "echaritosen." Good luck with that. Notice how "kecharitomene" in no way supports Rome's exaggerated, even blasphemous view of Mary.
According to YOU - but not according to many linguistic scholars.
Lets see - Greek linguistic scholarship vs. some guy spewing his opinions on an anti-Catholic online forum . . .

Again - you have the nerve to claim that Paraphrasing is "always" debatable - yet you sit there and claim that the paraphrasing YOU are doing is Gospel truth. Your hypocrisy knows no bounds . . .

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"Co-Workers" are those whom we work with in a similar role, they are the planters, but God gives the growth as it says in other parts of this chapter and scripture. Can co-workers or (fellow workers) to be exact, redeem?In whom are we redeemed? Christ! Let me ask you, if you bring someone to Christ, yet you at some point fall away does that affect the redemption of that person who does not?No! Because ones redemption relies solely on Christ, who can never fall away. To me( REDEEMER) is Like Holy Trinity no one can have certain titles. We can be of, and be Holy but can not be it. And as for co-worker..... it is one who brings God, God is still the only growth giver we are not. How does co-worker=co-redeemer, just because co is in front of something does not make it a valid claim.
Co-Redemptrix is a title used by some Roman Catholics for the Blessed Virgin Mary, as well as a Catholic theological concept referring to Mary's role in the redemption of all peoples. It has always been controversial and has never formed part of the dogma of the Church.
Co-Redemptrix - Wikipedia

To me, Mary revealed a title give her by the Creator,(Immaculate Conception) and it can be supported by scripture when understood as I have given understanding of it, through the Holy Spirit. It can not be dismantled as I understand it. As the Catholic church explains it, it can. She never gave us the meaning of this statement, at the time. And men presumed to know and interpret. Its, meaning and understanding is meant for this time. God does not always show His Hand right away. It is enough that in love people believed. And since the Apparition gave glory to Christ, and states Christ came in the flesh: 1John 4:2, it is TRUE.

When Mary appeared to Bernadette the second time , Bernadette had Holy water on hand , because she wanted to make sure the vision was not a deception. So she said, when "The Beautiful Lady" appeared to her again, (while throwing Holy Water at her)- "If you are not of God go away!"Then Mary preceded to take out Rosary beads and lead Bernadette in the confessing that Christ came in the flesh, for the very Rosary states that He did. Therefore this apparition is true. However, no meaning was given concerning the title "Immaculate Conception". Until NOW!
The problem with terms like "Co-Redemptrix in English is that Americans automatically assume that the "Co" person has an equal share in the work. "Co" simply means "with" - not equal partners. It is in THIS sense that Paul is calling us "Co-workers" (Sunergos) with God and that he stated that he (Paul) suffered for the Church, making up what was "lacking" in the sufferings of Christ.

EndTimeWine

Nov 5, 2017
Albany
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The problem with terms like "Co-Redemptrix in English is that Americans automatically assume that the "Co" person has an equal share in the work. "Co" simply means "with" - not equal partners. It is in THIS sense that Paul is calling us "Co-workers" (Sunergos) with God and that he stated that he (Paul) suffered for the Church, making up what was "lacking" in the sufferings of Christ.
I have no problem with co-workers, worker is not the same as redeemer. God Bless!

epostle1

Sep 24, 2012
Essex
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
" However, no meaning was given concerning the title "Immaculate Conception". Until NOW!
Because doctrines develop over time. All of them do. The Bible itself is a development. The understanding of the Trinity is a development. "Immaculate Conception" just means Mary was conceived without sin; the doctrine has been there since the earliest centuries of the Church. Just because something is formally DECLARED does not mean it was INVENTED. Hate cults cannot comprehend this.

epostle1

Sep 24, 2012
Essex
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Sola Scriptura means that Scripture alone is the final court of appeal regarding all matters of faith and practice.
But that is not in the Bible. What you have to prove is that Tradition and Magisterium are not needed. That is impossible because without them we would have no Scripture. That's why you are forced to re-write history.

How could the early church follow sola scriptura when there was no Bible for 350 years?

epostle1

Sep 24, 2012
Essex
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada

My Protestant scholars can beat up your Protestant scholars.

epostle1

Sep 24, 2012
Essex
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I have no problem with co-workers, worker is not the same as redeemer. God Bless!
I would like to know the name of the source where you get these lies.
"Co" in co-redeemer, co-Mediatrix, etc. is Collaborator Mary "assisted" in our redemption and she assist in our mediation with Christ.

This context does not give Mary equal status with Christ, or usurp Christ in anyway. She, rather, merely cooperated and collaborated with Christ.

In a sense we, too, are co-mediators every time we pray for someone. We are offering intercession/mediation for our friend when we pray for them. This does not make us God or equal with God, it only means that we are cooperating with the economy of God when he asked us to be a family and pray for each other.

In terms of Mary as co-redeemer, she did in fact, cooperate in the redemption. When she made her fiat to accept God's will for her to bear the Christ Child she was cooperating in the redemption of mankind for it was through her that the Redeemer came into the world.

The solution to problems like this is not suppression but education. "co" just simply does NOT mean "equal to".
Mary's role was not incidental but REQUIRED. Jesus, to be incarnated, HAD to be born of a woman, otherwise he would not be human and thus could not be the redeemer.

At this time the theory of co-redeemer is not Church dogma, and is not binding for belief by the faithful. But the concept should not wrinkle our shirts if we understand the nature of her role in the incarnation and the true meaning of "co".

Finally, Mary can't do anything without God. Please keep that in mind.

Nomad

Post Tenebras Lux
Aug 9, 2009
Philadelphia, PA.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Oh, you mean those out of context quotes?
NONE of those Fathers believed in Sola Scriptura. Here is what the ones YOU quoted actually believed about your heresy:

Let's see here...
Irenaeus complains of factions and the need for the church to be united. In that regard he speaks of the necessity of the united church to maintain Apostolic teaching. And we have the idea that the proper arena for the exposition of the Scriptures is within the context of the church. Sorry, there's nothing damning here.

Clement complains of those who misuse and abuse Scripture by cherry picking what suits them best in order to establish heresy. Nothing damning here.

Gregory of Nyssa invokes Apostolic teaching against a Trinitarian/Christological heresy. Nothing damning here.

Athanasius quotes Scripture in Serapion 1:27 and continues quoting Scripture in 1:28. So the "tradition," "teaching" and "faith" to which he refers is clearly based in Scripture...

Basil the Great speaks of beliefs and practices derived from "written" and "unwritten sources." Yet Basil also said the following:
“We are not content simply because this is the tradition of the Fathers. What is important is that the Fathers followed the meaning of the Scripture.” Basil the Great (ca.329–379) On the Holy Spirit, 7.16
Sounds like Basil considers Scripture the final court of appeal, hmm...

Ambrose who says that the church is in possession of the truth also said:
“For how can we adopt those things which we do not find in the holy Scriptures?” Ambrose (340–397 A.D.) On the Duties of the Clergy, 1:23:102

Augustine says he believed the Gospel via the preaching/teaching of the church. No problem there. That's the job of the church. Ever hear of the Great Commission? As for the rest of your quote, I can only assume that, right or wrong, Augustine believed that the church would not teach anything contrary to Scripture, for he also said:
“Neither dare one agree with catholic bishops if by chance they err in anything, but the result that their opinion is against the canonical Scriptures of God.” St. Augustine (354–430) De unitate ecclesiae, 10...

Aquinas may have believed in the validity of unwritten instructions, but hopefully he didn't contradict himself by making any of these unprovable apostolic "traditions" de fide, for he also said:
“For our faith rests on the revelation made to the Prophets and Apostles who wrote the canonical books.” Thomas Aquinas (1225–1274) Summa Theologiae, Question 1, art. 8

In any case, as I just demonstrated very clearly, none of your quotes contradict my quotes. Your attempt you make certain "Fathers" contradict themselves is an act of pure desperation on your part. BTW, no one is saying the entire early church embraced Sola Scriptura. But there were in fact many who certainly did embrace Scripture as the final authority. The point is clear. My quotes demonstrate that Luther did not "invent" this. Sorry you wasted your time.

Reactions: FHII

EndTimeWine

Nov 5, 2017
Albany
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I would like to know the name of the source where you get these lies.
"Co" in co-redeemer, co-Mediatrix, etc. is Collaborator Mary "assisted" in our redemption and she assist in our mediation with Christ.

This context does not give Mary equal status with Christ, or usurp Christ in anyway. She, rather, merely cooperated and collaborated with Christ.

In a sense we, too, are co-mediators every time we pray for someone. We are offering intercession/mediation for our friend when we pray for them. This does not make us God or equal with God, it only means that we are cooperating with the economy of God when he asked us to be a family and pray for each other.

In terms of Mary as co-redeemer, she did in fact, cooperate in the redemption. When she made her fiat to accept God's will for her to bear the Christ Child she was cooperating in the redemption of mankind for it was through her that the Redeemer came into the world.

The solution to problems like this is not suppression but education. "co" just simply does NOT mean "equal to".
Mary's role was not incidental but REQUIRED. Jesus, to be incarnated, HAD to be born of a woman, otherwise he would not be human and thus could not be the redeemer.

At this time the theory of co-redeemer is not Church dogma, and is not binding for belief by the faithful. But the concept should not wrinkle our shirts if we understand the nature of her role in the incarnation and the true meaning of "co".

Finally, Mary can't do anything without God. Please keep that in mind.
First of all I believe in intercession and mediation. As for Dogma being established over time the Dogma of Immaculate Conception has been for a long time now. And we are not talking about assisting we are talking about Redeeming, and this is not a Catholic Dogma but still is in discussion. Assisting in the ACT of redemption and being a co redeemer are to entirely different things. Mary was redeemed through her yes. And her soul rejoiced in God her Saviour. What is the difference between co-redeemer and co-saviour? Redeemer and Saviour are reserved for the King just as a mother can not be the father ,or a woman a man, or priest. Redeemer is Christ's title. I do not believe in co-redeemer. You can. I believe in venerating Mary and the Saints I know they are intercessors and mediators. I know we are co-workers but all redemption is in Christ. because it is solely upon Him that our redemption comes by. First for Mary then all others. And the bottom line is Dogma is defined by scripture not mans notions. And yes finally Mary can do nothing without God the Redeemer, Savior. She brings forth Christ our Redeemer. So, in your opinion I am a liar because I do not believe in the Title Co-Redemptrix? Many Catholics do not. And since Redemption comes through Christ alone I do not fear what you claim.

If you feel our redemption comes from Mary, who herself was redeemed by the Redeemer, go ahead.Let me ask you in whom did Mary's redemption depend upon..... herself or Christ? It is clear, her soul magnifies the Lord that is her role. All and everyone's redemption relies solely on Christ, whom she magnifies. There is no co-redeemer only Redeemer whom we are coworkers in bringing the lost to. Ones redemption from the first to the Last relies completely on Christ.

epostle1

Sep 24, 2012
Essex
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Let's see here...
Irenaeus complains of factions and the need for the church to be united. In that regard he speaks of the necessity of the united church to maintain Apostolic teaching. And we have the idea that the proper arena for the exposition of the Scriptures is within the context of the church. Sorry, there's nothing damning here.

Clement complains of those who misuse and abuse Scripture by cherry picking what suits them best in order to establish heresy. Nothing damning here.

Gregory of Nyssa invokes Apostolic teaching against a Trinitarian/Christological heresy. Nothing damning here.

Athanasius quotes Scripture in Serapion 1:27 and continues quoting Scripture in 1:28. So the "tradition," "teaching" and "faith" to which he refers is clearly based in Scripture...

Basil the Great speaks of beliefs and practices derived from "written" and "unwritten sources." Yet Basil also said the following:
“We are not content simply because this is the tradition of the Fathers. What is important is that the Fathers followed the meaning of the Scripture.” Basil the Great (ca.329–379) On the Holy Spirit, 7.16
Sounds like Basil considers Scripture the final court of appeal, hmm...

Ambrose who says that the church is in possession of the truth also said:
“For how can we adopt those things which we do not find in the holy Scriptures?” Ambrose (340–397 A.D.) On the Duties of the Clergy, 1:23:102

Augustine says he believed the Gospel via the preaching/teaching of the church. No problem there. That's the job of the church. Ever hear of the Great Commission? As for the rest of your quote, I can only assume that, right or wrong, Augustine believed that the church would not teach anything contrary to Scripture, for he also said:
“Neither dare one agree with catholic bishops if by chance they err in anything, but the result that their opinion is against the canonical Scriptures of God.” St. Augustine (354–430) De unitate ecclesiae, 10...

Aquinas may have believed in the validity of unwritten instructions, but hopefully he didn't contradict himself by making any of these unprovable apostolic "traditions" de fide, for he also said:
“For our faith rests on the revelation made to the Prophets and Apostles who wrote the canonical books.” Thomas Aquinas (1225–1274) Summa Theologiae, Question 1, art. 8

In any case, as I just demonstrated very clearly, none of your quotes contradict my quotes. Your attempt you make certain "Fathers" contradict themselves is an act of pure desperation on your part. BTW, no one is saying the entire early church embraced Sola Scriptura. But there were in fact many who certainly did embrace Scripture as the final authority. The point is clear. My quotes demonstrate that Luther did not "invent" this. Sorry you wasted your time.
Regardless of how you interpret the ECF, none of them embraced Scripture as the final authority. They embraced material sufficiency of Scripture, not formal sufficiency. It is an important distinction. Material sufficiency of Scripture embraces all your quotes, so your quotes to prove sola scriptura are meaningless.
Name one ECF who was a sola scripturist. There are none.

Last edited by a moderator:

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Isaiah 60:16 "Thou shalt also suck the milk of the Gentiles, and shalt suck the breast of kings: and thou shalt know that I the LORD am thy Saviour and thy Redeemer, the mighty One of Jacob".

Isaiah 63:16 "Doubtless thou art our father, though Abraham be ignorant of us, and Israel acknowledge us not: thou, O LORD, art our father, our redeemer; thy name is from everlasting".

the LORD is our "SAVIOUR", and he is our "FATHER". Saviour, Father = JESUS, think about it. for redemption is found in no other.

Peace in Christ Yeshua.

Reactions: EndTimeWine

epostle1

Sep 24, 2012
Essex
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
NewIsaiah 60:16 "Thou shalt also suck the milk of the Gentiles, and shalt suck the breast of kings: and thou shalt know that I the LORD am thy Saviour and thy Redeemer, the mighty One of Jacob".

Isaiah 63:16 "Doubtless thou art our father, though Abraham be ignorant of us, and Israel acknowledge us not: thou, O LORD, art our father, our redeemer; thy name is from everlasting".

the LORD is our "SAVIOUR", and he is our "FATHER". Saviour, Father = JESUS, think about it. for redemption is found in no other.

Peace in Christ Yeshua.
Yes, Catholics know all that. Plenty has been said about the meaning of "co" that you haven't been able to grasp.

There is a very critical distinction which Catholics must always keep in mind when discussing the topic of Sola Scriptura. This distinction determines whether the doctrine of Sola Scriptura is true or not. The distinction is "material" versus "formal" sufficiency of Scripture.

On his wonderful blog, Dr Michael Liccione was having a discussion with a Protestant systematic theology professor on this very subject. The Protestant professor succinctly explained the difference between the two understandings of Scripture (highlights by me):

The difference here is between a blueprint to make a building, and the bricks of which the building is made. A merely materially sufficient Scripture is like a pile of bricks that can build anything from a cathedral to a tool shed, but the bricks themselves possess no inherent intelligibility (formal sufficiency) in one direction for another. The intelligibility derives from outside the bricks. Conversely, a blueprint is inherently intelligible, and thus has not material but formal sufficiency to create a specific building, whether cathedral or tool shed.

In terms of development, the claim that Scripture is materially sufficient presumes that the intelligibility of revelation derives from elsewhere than Scripture itself. A definitive magisterium (or external tradition) is necessary to decide what to do with the bricks. Without the magisterium it is impossible to know whether the bricks were intended to be a cathedral or a tool shed.The distinction here makes all the difference in the world. From a Protestant point of view, anything less than formal sufficiency is unacceptable and will render Sola Scriptura impossible. On the flip side, the Catholic has no problem affirming the material sufficiency of Scripture (i.e. all necessary information is at least implicit in Scripture), since it in no way rules out the need for a Magisterium - and indeed demands one!

This is important to keep in mind because it makes the Protestant task of proving Sola Scriptura from the Bible more difficult and uncomfortable. It is not enough for the Protestant to point to a text that says how good or useful or inspired Scripture is, since the material sufficiency gladly embraces all this. The Protestant must show that Scripture formally and clearly lays out Christian teaching in such a way that no Magisterium or Tradition is needed, and in fact must show that the Magisterium and Tradition dont exist in the first place (or wont exist at some future date).

What is also important to point out is that the great majority of Scripture is not written down in any "blueprint" sense such that the Inspired human writer was laying down a systematic treatment of doctrines. In other words, the Bible is not written like a text book or even a 'do it yourself' self-help book. This is a major difficulty for the Protestant seeking to prove formal sufficiency.

Take the example of Baptism: If Scripture were formally sufficient, it would have to lay out in a very systematic manner what effects Baptism has on the individual, whether it is required, who can be Baptized, and how to Baptize. Contrary to the formal approach, what happens in real life and throughout history is that theologians of both the Protestant and Catholic camps have had to "derive" various doctrines like Baptism piece by piece, starting with the explicit references to baptism, then any allusions to it, and then the support of related doctrines, all to come to their final conclusions on Baptism. As everyone is aware, there is no such systematic treatment of Scripture on this teaching - and as everyone is equally aware, Protestants have disagreements on every one of those facets mentioned (e.g. whether infants can be baptized).
Given this very solid example against the notion of formal sufficiency, we can have great confidence that no specific passage will ever teach formal sufficiency (since the Scriptures cannot contradict or mislead).

Probably the most famous - and most important - example that contradicts formal sufficiency is all the heresy surrounding the Trinity. As Catholic Apologist Dave Armstrong explains: "The [Trinity] can be proven from Scripture, indeed (material sufficiency), but Scripture Alone as a principle was not formally sufficient to prevent the Arian crisis from occurring. In other words, the decisive factor in these controversies was the appeal to apostolic succession and Tradition, which showed that the Church had always been trinitarian."

Other examples (among many) that contradict the notion of formal sufficiency are especially those texts discussing interpretation of OT prophecy, which the NT shows was very often missed by the Jews who knew the OT quite well. The Road to Emmaus (Lk 24:13-27), the Bereans (Acts 17:1-5,10-12), and Apollos (Acts 18:24-26) demonstrate the problem quite well.

One last important thing to note (as apologists like Mark Shea and Dave Armstrong point out) is that when one affirms the material sufficiency of Scripture, there is no "fear" of "undermining" the authority of Scripture or "subordinating" the authority of Scripture with Tradition or Magisterium - fears which Protestants regularly inject in such discussions. The reason why there is no such "fear" from the Catholic end is because material sufficiency by *nature* means Tradition and Magisterium are necessary to arrange the "bricks" in the right order to form the right structure. That "fear" can only exist if the Protestant can demonstrate formal sufficiency to be true - and until then is fallaciously fear mongering.
NICK'S CATHOLIC BLOG: Sola Scriptura: Formal versus Material Sufficiency

2386cdd7011843f24dad6640f7662adc.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Isaiah 28:9-13 "Whom shall he teach knowledge? and whom shall he make to understand doctrine? them that are weaned from the milk, and drawn from the breasts. (STOP we have our answer). For precept must be upon precept, precept upon precept; line upon line, line upon line; here a little, and there a little: For with stammering lips and another tongue will he speak to this people. To whom he said, This is the rest wherewith ye may cause the weary to rest; and this is the refreshing: yet they would not hear. But the word of the LORD was unto them precept upon precept, precept upon precept; line upon line, line upon line; here a little, and there a little; that they might go, and fall backward, and be broken, and snared, and taken".

Peace in Christ Jesus.

tabletalk

Feb 6, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
But that is not in the Bible. What you have to prove is that Tradition and Magisterium are not needed. That is impossible because without them we would have no Scripture. That's why you are forced to re-write history.

How could the early church follow sola scriptura when there was no Bible for 350 years?

You said: "What you have to prove is that Tradition and Magisterium are not needed."
The problem is not that tradition and the church are not needed, it's that they are not infallible, as the Catholic Church claims.