Redemptive Suffering / Did Christ Die Spiritually?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Axehead

May 9, 2012
Alan's statement here, that Christ died spiritually reminded me of a teaching I heard in the 80's by E.W. Kenyon on the Redemptive Suffering of Christ in which he posits that Christ died not only physically but spiritually. This was very controversial back then and was widespread amongst charismatics and faith teachers.

What was the nature of Christ's sufferings? Lets start with E.W. Kenyon's position.
  1. Redemption of man is not in the physical realm but only in the spiritual realm.
  2. The works of Jesus were not finished on the Cross.
  3. Man was redeemed by the spiritual sufferings of Jesus in Hell.
  4. Jesus actually became a sinner and He died spiritually.
  5. Jesus was raised from the dead when we were justified.
  6. Jesus had to be born-again and justified after paying the price of sin in hell.
  7. The church is born out of Jesus' spiritual sufferings in hell.
I'm going to stop here for now and let you think and pray about these statements and search God's word on your own first (plus I am tired and need to go to bed).
4358.gif

But, I will give you a hint about what I will talk about when I get back. "How is man redeemed?
God bless y'all

Axehead

bling

May 5, 2009
Are we going to see Christ’s blood still dripping from the foot of the throne in heaven?

Is sin some tangible object that Jesus can actually transfer to Himself?

Is Jesus paying the equivalent of the debt for sin or is it something else about sin?

Can sin being punished or is it the sinner that is punished?

Don’t you have to sin in order to be a sinner?

Am I no longer responsible for my past sins if I become a Christian and Christ took my sins on himself?

Alanforchrist

Dec 25, 2007
Alan's statement here, that Christ died spiritually reminded me of a teaching I heard in the 80's by E.W. Kenyon on the Redemptive Suffering of Christ in which he posits that Christ died not only physically but spiritually. This was very controversial back then and was widespread amongst charismatics and faith teachers.

What was the nature of Christ's sufferings? Lets start with E.W. Kenyon's position.
  1. Redemption of man is not in the physical realm but only in the spiritual realm.
  6. Jesus had to be born-again and justified after paying the price of sin in hell.
I'm going to stop here for now and let you think and pray about these statements and search God's word on your own first (plus I am tired and need to go to bed).
4358.gif

But, I will give you a hint about what I will talk about when I get back. "How is man redeemed?
God bless y'all

Axehead

How can you tell us how man is redeemed when you obviously don't know??.
This should be interesting, A man who doesn't know the Bible, trying to tell us his own views.

Axehead

May 9, 2012

4358.gif

God bless y'all

Axehead

How Is Man Redeemed?

Do we look to the Cross or do we look to Hell?

Calvary is the place to look to. Redemption of man came through a body and is received while in the body.

Heb_10:5 Wherefore when he cometh into the world, he saith, Sacrifice and offering thou wouldest not, but a body hast thou prepared me:

Heb_10:10 By the which will we are sanctified through the offering of the body of Jesus Christ once for all.

Sacrifice for sin has always come through a living being. (i.e. Lamb, Bulls, Goats / Lamb of God)

The blood of the body is the element of atonement.
Rom_5:9 Much more then, being now justified by his blood, we shall be saved from wrath through him.

Eph_1:7 In whom we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, according to the riches of his grace;

Col_1:14 In whom we have redemption through his blood, even the forgiveness of sins:

Sin must be dealt with in the body. Being joined with Him in His death and Resurrection.
Rom_6:6 Knowing this, that our old man is crucified with him, that the body of sin might be destroyed, that henceforth we should not serve sin.

Rom_8:3 For what the law could not do, in that it was weak through the flesh, God sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, and for sin, condemned sin in the flesh:

The work of redemption was finished on the cross! Jesus did not need to suffer in hell. No mention of that anywhere.
Col_1:20 And, having made peace through the blood of his cross, by him to reconcile all things unto himself; by him, I say, whether they be things in earth, or things in heaven.

Jesus did not have to experience all spiritual sufferings. Redemption does not come through suffering. Redemption came through the death of Jesus Christ. God only required a physical sacrifice. Jesus did not become a sinner in order to bare our sins. He bore our sins, He wasn't a sinner. He has always been righteous.

2Co_5:21 For he hath made him to be sin for us, who knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in him.
This is substitionary in nature.

"made" ποιέω poieō - "to do" idea of doing, not idea of "being". Our iniquities were LAID ON HIM.

Jesus never disobeyed God's will. He was obedient to every point, obedient unto death.
Php_2:8 And being found in fashion as a man, he humbled himself, and became obedient unto death, even the death of the cross.

Heb_4:15 For we have not an high priest which cannot be touched with the feeling of our infirmities; but was in all points tempted like as we are, yet without sin.

The Old Testament sin offering was a type of sinless sacrifice as it was most holy.

Exo_12:5 Your lamb shall be without blemish, a male of the first year: ye shall take it out from the sheep, or from the goats:
Lev_22:20 But whatsoever hath a blemish, that shall ye not offer: for it shall not be acceptable for you.

Jesus did not die spiritually because He offered eternal life to the thief and eternal life is in Jesus Christ. Jesus bore our sins in His body not His spirit.
1Pe_2:24 Who his own self bare our sins in his own body on the tree, that we, being dead to sins, should live unto righteousness: by whose stripes ye were healed.

1Pe_3:18 For Christ also hath once suffered for sins, the just for the unjust, that he might bring us to God, being put to death in the flesh, but quickened by the Spirit:

Jesus never suffered in hell. Jesus commended or released His spirit into His Father's hands.
Luk_23:46 And when Jesus had cried with a loud voice, he said, Father, into thy hands I commend my spirit: and having said thus, he gave up the ghost.

Jesus was put to death in the flesh not the spirit and the Spirit of God quickened His body out of the grave. Jesus was the first begotten of the dead. His body was raised or quickened by the Spirit. There was absolutely no suffering for Jesus in Hell. Jesus Christ did not need to be justified as a sinner or born-again.

Rev_1:5 And from Jesus Christ, who is the faithful witness, and the first begotten of the dead, and the prince of the kings of the earth. Unto him that loved us, and washed us from our sins in his own blood,

1Ti_3:16 And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness: God was manifest in the flesh, justified in the Spirit, seen of angels, preached unto the Gentiles, believed on in the world, received up into glory.

Jesus was justified (vindicated by) in the Spirit. He did not suffer in the spirit and His spirit which is the Spirit of God, did not and could not die.

Man is not to look for salvation (redemption) in the spiritual sufferings. Redemption comes through the blood. (scriptures already given).

Numerous passages in God’s Word attest that our sins have been dealt with ‘through the sacrifice of the body of Jesus Christ once for all’ (Heb_10:10; cf. Rom_7:4; Col_1:22; 1 Peter_2:24; 3:18; 4:1).

This poses three difficult questions for the Faith teachers’ view of the atonement. First, why is there no explicit mention of Christ’s alleged “spiritual” death, while the Bible is replete with details on the fact and significance of His physical death-especially if it was His spiritual death that did away with the curse? Second, why does the Bible place so much emphasis on Christ’s physical death-to the exclusion of His alleged spiritual death-if His physical death was not the factor that eradicated sin? Third, why is it that Christ Himself told us to remember the sacrifice He made with His body and blood (both of which are essentially physical), while saying nothing about any spiritual sacrifice (cf. Luke_22:19,20; 1 Cor_11:24-26)?

All the biblical evidence indicates that Jesus never died spiritually and that His physical death paid the price for humanity’s sin.

We are dead in trespasses and sins but Jesus was not. We needed to be born-again but Jesus did not die spiritually and therefore did not need to be born-again from a personal state of sinfulness. He did not need spiritual regeneration to be transformed from a sinner to the Son of God, HE WAS the SON OF GOD. Jesus Christ the same, yesterday, today and forever. (Heb_13:8)

Act_2:24 Whom God hath raised up, having loosed the pains of death: because it was not possible that he should be holden of it.

It was not possible for death to hold Him because He has life within Himself being the Son of God. He laid His life down willingly with the promise to resume it once He physically died.

Joh_2:19 Jesus answered and said unto them, Destroy this temple, and in three days I will raise it up.

Axehead

Alanforchrist

Dec 25, 2007
How Is Man Redeemed?

Do we look to the Cross or do we look to Hell?

Calvary is the place to look to. Redemption of man came through a body and is received while in the body.

Heb_10:5 Wherefore when he cometh into the world, he saith, Sacrifice and offering thou wouldest not, but a body hast thou prepared me:

Heb_10:10 By the which will we are sanctified through the offering of the body of Jesus Christ once for all.

Sacrifice for sin has always come through a living being. (i.e. Lamb, Bulls, Goats / Lamb of God)

The blood of the body is the element of atonement.
Rom_5:9 Much more then, being now justified by his blood, we shall be saved from wrath through him.

Eph_1:7 In whom we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, according to the riches of his grace;

Col_1:14 In whom we have redemption through his blood, even the forgiveness of sins:

Sin must be dealt with in the body. Being joined with Him in His death and Resurrection.
Rom_6:6 Knowing this, that our old man is crucified with him, that the body of sin might be destroyed, that henceforth we should not serve sin.

Rom_8:3 For what the law could not do, in that it was weak through the flesh, God sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, and for sin, condemned sin in the flesh:

The work of redemption was finished on the cross! Jesus did not need to suffer in hell. No mention of that anywhere.
Col_1:20 And, having made peace through the blood of his cross, by him to reconcile all things unto himself; by him, I say, whether they be things in earth, or things in heaven.

Jesus did not have to experience all spiritual sufferings. Redemption does not come through suffering. Redemption came through the death of Jesus Christ. God only required a physical sacrifice. Jesus did not become a sinner in order to bare our sins. He bore our sins, He wasn't a sinner. He has always been righteous.

2Co_5:21 For he hath made him to be sin for us, who knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in him.
This is substitionary in nature.

"made" ποιέω poieō - "to do" idea of doing, not idea of "being". Our iniquities were LAID ON HIM.

Jesus never disobeyed God's will. He was obedient to every point, obedient unto death.
Php_2:8 And being found in fashion as a man, he humbled himself, and became obedient unto death, even the death of the cross.

Heb_4:15 For we have not an high priest which cannot be touched with the feeling of our infirmities; but was in all points tempted like as we are, yet without sin.

The Old Testament sin offering was a type of sinless sacrifice as it was most holy.

Exo_12:5 Your lamb shall be without blemish, a male of the first year: ye shall take it out from the sheep, or from the goats:
Lev_22:20 But whatsoever hath a blemish, that shall ye not offer: for it shall not be acceptable for you.

Jesus did not die spiritually because He offered eternal life to the thief and eternal life is in Jesus Christ. Jesus bore our sins in His body not His spirit.
1Pe_2:24 Who his own self bare our sins in his own body on the tree, that we, being dead to sins, should live unto righteousness: by whose stripes ye were healed.

1Pe_3:18 For Christ also hath once suffered for sins, the just for the unjust, that he might bring us to God, being put to death in the flesh, but quickened by the Spirit:

Jesus never suffered in hell. Jesus commended or released His spirit into His Father's hands.
Luk_23:46 And when Jesus had cried with a loud voice, he said, Father, into thy hands I commend my spirit: and having said thus, he gave up the ghost.

Jesus was put to death in the flesh not the spirit and the Spirit of God quickened His body out of the grave. Jesus was the first begotten of the dead. His body was raised or quickened by the Spirit. There was absolutely no suffering for Jesus in Hell. Jesus Christ did not need to be justified as a sinner or born-again.

Rev_1:5 And from Jesus Christ, who is the faithful witness, and the first begotten of the dead, and the prince of the kings of the earth. Unto him that loved us, and washed us from our sins in his own blood,

1Ti_3:16 And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness: God was manifest in the flesh, justified in the Spirit, seen of angels, preached unto the Gentiles, believed on in the world, received up into glory.

Jesus was justified (vindicated by) in the Spirit. He did not suffer in the spirit and His spirit which is the Spirit of God, did not and could not die.

Man is not to look for salvation (redemption) in the spiritual sufferings. Redemption comes through the blood. (scriptures already given).

Numerous passages in God’s Word attest that our sins have been dealt with ‘through the sacrifice of the body of Jesus Christ once for all’ (Heb_10:10; cf. Rom_7:4; Col_1:22; 1 Peter_2:24; 3:18; 4:1).

This poses three difficult questions for the Faith teachers’ view of the atonement. First, why is there no explicit mention of Christ’s alleged “spiritual” death, while the Bible is replete with details on the fact and significance of His physical death-especially if it was His spiritual death that did away with the curse? Second, why does the Bible place so much emphasis on Christ’s physical death-to the exclusion of His alleged spiritual death-if His physical death was not the factor that eradicated sin? Third, why is it that Christ Himself told us to remember the sacrifice He made with His body and blood (both of which are essentially physical), while saying nothing about any spiritual sacrifice (cf. Luke_22:19,20; 1 Cor_11:24-26)?

All the biblical evidence indicates that Jesus never died spiritually and that His physical death paid the price for humanity’s sin.

We are dead in trespasses and sins but Jesus was not. We needed to be born-again but Jesus did not die spiritually and therefore did not need to be born-again from a personal state of sinfulness. He did not need spiritual regeneration to be transformed from a sinner to the Son of God, HE WAS the SON OF GOD. Jesus Christ the same, yesterday, today and forever. (Heb_13:8)

Act_2:24 Whom God hath raised up, having loosed the pains of death: because it was not possible that he should be holden of it.

It was not possible for death to hold Him because He has life within Himself being the Son of God. He laid His life down willingly with the promise to resume it once He physically died.

Joh_2:19 Jesus answered and said unto them, Destroy this temple, and in three days I will raise it up.

Axehead

Your problem is, You don't know the whole Bible, You just pick the verses that fit your false beliefs.

For the Biblical truth, Read this.

In Matt 27: 46, Jesus said, “My God, why has thou forsaken me”.
The Greek meaning for, “Forsaken”, Is, [To leave, To abandon, Forsaken].
And the penalty for spiritual death is hell.
Because He took our sins 2 Cor 5: 21, And went to hell in our place

PLEASE NOTE
Jesus told the thief he would be with Him in paradise, [Paradeisos] Lk 24: 43

But Jesus didn’t go straight there, He went to Hell [Hades]
Acts 2: 27, & v31.
Acts 2: 24 says God loosed Jesus from the pains of death. It wasn’t from the pains of physical death, Because Jesus died, and wasn’t loosed from physical death So God loosed Jesus from pains of spiritual death, and the torment that that went with it in hell.

The meaning for, “Pains” in Acts 2: 24, Is,
“ Pain, Distress, Like a woman in childbirth”, Isaiah 52: 11, Says , The travail of Jesus soul
In Ps 22: 1, Jesus says, “why have you forsaken Me”,
Spirit, v1. Body, v14--17. Soul, v20-.
The Hebrew word is, “Azab” Again the meaning is, ”To Leave, Abandoned”
Ps 22 : 20--21.
V20, The meaning for, “Sword” is, “Violent pain”. The power of the dogs,V20 And the lions mouth, Have the similar meaning.
The “Soul”, V20, Is the inner part of Jesus.
The meaning of, “Save me from the lions mouth”, Is
“Save [To deliver] from a trapped place, From distress”.
Does that sound like Jesus was in paradise?? Or in Hell.
Isaiah 53: 9,Says,
“Jesus made His grave with the wicked and the rich in His death”.
The Hebrew is, “Deaths” Plural, His Spiritual and physical deaths.
V9 backs this up. “With the wicked, [The sinners In hell] His Spiritual death. And the rich, [Joseph’s tomb] Matt 27: 57--60, His physical death.

Isaiah 53: 10. Jesus made His Soul an offering for sin, Not just His body.
V 11, The travail of His soul.
V12, He poured out His soul.
Isaiah 53, Talks about Jesus Spiritual and Physical deaths.

Jesus was born again in hell
Acts 13: 33, This “Begotten” wasn’t Jesus birth in the manger, Because it was when He was raised up. His Spiritual rebirth, As 1 Pet 3: 18 proves.
The meaning of “Quickened by His Spirit”, Is, Made alive in His Spirit.
How could Jesus be made alive, [Born again] in His Spirit, If He didn’t Spiritually die first??.
Col 1: 18, Says, Jesus was the “Firstborn from the dead”,
He wasn’t the first to be physically raised from the dead, AS people in the OT were raised from physical death, And Jesus Himself raised three people from physical death, So Col 1: 18, Must be talking about Jesus being the first to be born again.

Axehead

May 9, 2012
God cannot die spiritually. He cannot die at all. Death was unable to hold the sinless Son of God.

He commended (released) His spirit to His Father while on the cross.

He did not have to suffer in Hell.

Rex

Oct 17, 2012
Kingman AZ
I believe this to be an important verse in context of the subject.
Matthew 10:28

Who is it Jesus is speaking of?
And would or could they kill the soul of Jesus?

I believe souls are still awaiting the final Judgement as well.

Alanforchrist

Dec 25, 2007
God cannot die spiritually. He cannot die at all. Death was unable to hold the sinless Son of God.

[1] You said,
God cannot die spiritually.

Isn't it strange how Jesus didn't know that?.

[2]You said,

I have shown you what that means, Your arguement is with God, Not with me.

[3]You said,

That's not what the Bible says, As I have proved to you,
You are argueing with God, Not with me.

I believe this to be an important verse in context of the subject.
Matthew 10:28

Who is it Jesus is speaking of?
And would or could they kill the soul of Jesus?

I believe souls are still awaiting the final Judgement as well.

The Greek word for, "Hell", In Matt 10: 28, is "Gehenna", Jesus is talking about the lake of fire that comes after the final judgment day, Where the peoplel's body and soul will be,
Only the spirit/soul goes to Hell, As in Hades.
Please note, In Matt 10: 28, Jesus mentions the body and the soul.

As for
"would and could they kill the soul of Jesus".

Jesus willingly gave up His Spiritual life as well as His bodily life.
For the Biblical truth, See my post above.

Rex

Oct 17, 2012
Kingman AZ
I think we need some definition concerning spirit, soul, and just what spirit did Jesus relinquish.
As well the soul Jesus was born with, having no earthly father

IanLC

Encounter Team
Mar 22, 2011
North Carolina
Those statements on Jesus' spiritual death a knocking on the door of heresy! Its a subtle evil that worms its way in and thus infects the whole body of Christ by the disease of false teaching.

Alanforchrist

Dec 25, 2007
I think we need some definition concerning spirit, soul, and just what spirit did Jesus relinquish.
As well the soul Jesus was born with, having no earthly father

Man [Inclueding Jesus], Is a Spirit who has a soul, "The mind will and emotions", And lives in a body.
At death, Only the body dies, The Spirit/soul lives on in the place we have chosen while we are on the earth, Heaven or hell.
If one is born again, They go to heaven, If one isn't born agian, They are spiritually dead and will go to hell.
Jesus died Spiritually [In our place] and went to hell for us, So we can be Spiritually made alive, [Born again] and escape hell.

Those statements on Jesus' spiritual death a knocking on the door of heresy! Its a subtle evil that worms its way in and thus infects the whole body of Christ by the disease of false teaching.

So you are calling God an evil heretic false teacher,
Because what I gave was the scriptures, Hewbrew and the Greek meanings.

Just because you don't believe the Bible Hebrew or Greek, It doesn't mean God is an evil hereitic false teacher.

I can only show you the Biblcal truth, But I can't make you believe it.

IanLC

Encounter Team
Mar 22, 2011
North Carolina
Man [Inclueding Jesus], Is a Spirit who has a soul, "The mind will and emotions", And lives in a body.
At death, Only the body dies, The Spirit/soul lives on in the place we have chosen while we are on the earth, Heaven or hell.
If one is born again, They go to heaven, If one isn't born agian, They are spiritually dead and will go to hell.
Jesus died Spiritually [In our place] and went to hell for us, So we can be Spiritually made alive, [Born again] and escape hell.

So you are calling God an evil heretic false teacher,
Because what I gave was the scriptures, Hewbrew and the Greek meanings.

Just because you don't believe the Bible Hebrew or Greek, It doesn't mean God is an evil hereitic false teacher.

I can only show you the Biblcal truth, But I can't make you believe it.
Mormon teaching is a subtle corrupt evil that worms its way into the wall of the faith to destroy the faith!

Alanforchrist

Dec 25, 2007
Mormon teaching is a subtle corrupt evil that worms its way into the wall of the faith to destroy the faith!

So not only are you calling God an evil hereitc false teacher, But now you are saying God is corrupt by teaches mormonism.

You are standing on very dangerous ground, YOU NEED TO WATCH OUT.

Rex

Oct 17, 2012
Kingman AZ
You might want to examine your own stance.
It may be the first blow removes your head from your shoulders.

I have to go.
BTW that's not very sweet looking fruit

THE Gypsy

Jul 27, 2011
Earth
So not only are you calling God an evil hereitc false teacher, But now you are saying God is corrupt by teaches mormonism.

You are standing on very dangerous ground, YOU NEED TO WATCH OUT.

That's not at all what he said.

Are you claiming God teaches Mormonism?

Alanforchrist

Dec 25, 2007
You might want to examine your own stance.
It may be the first blow removes your head from your shoulders.

I have to go.
BTW that's not very sweet looking fruit

I have given, Scriptures, The original Hebrew scripture meanings, And the original Greek scripture meanings,

That's not at all what he said.

Are you claiming God teaches Mormonism?

I will quote what he said.

"Those statements on Jesus' spiritual death a knocking on the door of heresy! Its a subtle evil".

Note, He said, Heresy and evil.

He said.

"Mormon teaching is a subtle corrupt evil".

He said it is corrupt evil mormon teaching.

SO, That IS what he said.

By the way, I'm not saying God teaches momonism, UHC Alan is.

THE Gypsy

Jul 27, 2011
Earth
I will quote what he said.

"Those statements on Jesus' spiritual death a knocking on the door of heresy! Its a subtle evil".

Note, He said, Heresy and evil.

He said.

"Mormon teaching is a subtle corrupt evil".

He said it is corrupt evil mormon teaching.

SO, That IS what he said.

By the way, I'm not saying God teaches momonism, UHC Alan is.

I read what he said and since you appear to be having a problem with it allow me to emphasize...

He said... MORMON TEACHING is a subtle and corrupt evil...NOT God.

He said...THOSE STATEMENTS were heresy and evil...NOT God.

IanLC

Encounter Team
Mar 22, 2011
North Carolina
I read what he said and since you appear to be having a problem with it allow me to emphasize...

Thank you! We may disagree in other areas but over the true faith we are united!

Axehead

May 9, 2012
Thank you! We may disagree in other areas but over the true faith we are united!

Amen UHCAlan,

It is most important to be united in the true faith by the Spirit of Truth. The proponents of the JDS Doctrine say that Jesus died unregenerate, went to hell, and then was born again or saved while in hell. The proponents of the JDS heresy (Jesus Died Spiritually) do damage to the doctrine of the atonement and the principle of the cross and the blood of Jesus in the Christian life.

It is the unregenerate or unsaved people who are spiritually dead. The term refers to those bound up in sin, i.e., the vile, corrupt, those with a depraved nature, having no righteousness in them. Consider Jesus’ death in light of this and one will readily understand that if Jesus died spiritually, then our very salvation itself is at stake.

Here is what Fred Price says:
"Do you think that the punishment for our sin was to die on a cross? If that were the case, the two thieves could have paid your price. No, the punishment was to go into hell itself and to serve time in hell separated from God. Satan and all the demons of hell thought that they had Him bound and they threw a net over Jesus and they dragged Him down to the very pit of hell itself to serve our sentence." Fred Price, Ever Increasing Faith Messenger June 1980

So, not only did He die spiritually, but He had to suffer in hell.

This one is incredulous!

"It wasn't a physical death on the cross that paid the price for sin...anybody can do that." Kenneth Copeland "What Satan Saw At Pentecost - Tape 1)

Christ's physical death on the cross was not enough to save us - Kenneth Hagin

"Jesus said, ‘It is finished.’ And He meant the Old Covenant. The job He had to do was just getting started. He really did the job the three days and nights that He was in hell. That’s where the job was done. He was pronounced guilty on the cross but He paid the price in hell." - Joyce Meyer - From the Cross to the Throne

"Jesus went into hell to free mankind from the penalty of Adam's high treason...When His blood poured out it did not atone" - Ken Copeland

“The death of Jesus Christ was not a physical death alone. If it had been a physical death, Abel would have paid the price for mankind. He was the first man that died because of honoring God and His Word. If it had been a physical death only, it wouldn't have worked! And if He hadn't died spiritually, that body never would have died. Kenneth Hagin

It is amazing how they just pull these concepts seemingly "out of thin air".

The essence of the question is this: Did Jesus become sin, or one might say, "become a sinner," at Calvary and thereby experience spiritual death which would be a second death?

Isaiah 53:10
Yet it pleased the Lord to bruise him; he hath put him to grief: when thou shall make his soul an offering for sin, he shall see his seed, he shall prolong his days, and the pleasure of the Lord shall prosper in his hand.

Exodus 12:5
Your lamb shall be without blemish, a male of the first year: ye shall take it out from the sheep, or from the goats:

An Unacceptable Sacrifice

If Jesus had become literal sin, in other words, had become a sinner, which means that He was now lost and unregenerate while He hung on the Cross of Calvary, then He would have been an unacceptable Sacrifice to God for the sins of others. Whereas if He indeed remained pure and Holy as the Scriptures assert, then God could accept Him as a Substitute on behalf of sinners. It was only in this way that He could fulfill the Old Testament Type where the animal for the Sin-Offering had to be spotless and "without blemish" (Lev. 4:2-3). If you remember, the Sin-Offering was regarded as most holy even after its death.

One sinner cannot redeem another sinner. Only one who is guiltless could ever act as a substitute and suffer the punishment for the guilty party, thereby saving the guilty party. Even Jesus could not have done this if He had become guilty Himself, as this particular doctrine contends. The central thrust of the entire Old Testament sacrificial system is that Jesus was the guiltless Substitute Who, like the Old Testament Type, remained pure and Holy both on the Cross and after His death.

Jesus’ body was the offering for sacrifice, i.e., a physical death. There was no second death, no spiritual death.

Next: I will go over each scripture that the JDS propents use in their "Jesus Died Spiritually" doctrine.

Axehead

Alanforchrist

Dec 25, 2007

Those scriptures that I posted were God's statements,
So, He was saying that God is an evil hereitc who believes the mormon teachings,

You should read what he said, AGAIN.

THE Gypsy was wrong,
You did say that God is an evil hereitc who believes the mormon teachings,

Because Those scriptures that I posted were God's statements,