Regarding the Holy Spirit and His gifts I believe...

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Rearding the baptism of the Holy Spirit, spiritual gifts and some other things I believe;

• 1. Yes, I know this is for today and all gifts including tongues, are yet given to believers.

• 2. There is no secondary experience from God once you truly become a Christian.

• 3. Those who speak in tongues are completely deceived, this is not from God at all.

• 4. Spiritual gifts, including tongues passed away after the time of the apostles ended

• 5. Those lacking baptism in the Holy Spirit lack God's anointing and power

• 6. My denominations teaching on this is true. Baptism in the Holy Spirit is not for now.

• 7. Jesus no longer speaks directly to believers, only through the scripture

• 8. Miracles of healing are not for today, modern medicine and doctors are our means of healing

• 9. Much of the bible is allegorical and never really happened.

• 10. I am a Christian but Jesus Christ is not God Almighty

Results are only viewable after voting.

Frank Lee

Feb 23, 2017
Ouachita Mountains
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
My wife and I tried to witness to a Baptist and he told us our experience was of the devil and we were bound for hell. So much for that.

It's really strange that when I was a wild eyed heathen the devil never did any of these things but when I get saved and receive what God has for me the denominational zombies tell me I'm hell bound. Religion has killed more spirits than any wars.

The brainwashed Muslims are no worse off than the protestant denominationalists that have been brainwashed against the very gifts of God. So many church goers are not even saved. When I was first saved we started attending a Baptist church in the country near home. I'd try to talk to the men about spiritual attacks I was experiencing and they looked at me like I had two heads.

I've never felt as alone as in that Baptist church. On Halloween at a fall get together the pastor dressed up as a vampire!
Fortunately we got out of there.

My wife and I went to a pentecostal church revival and we'd never experienced a meeting like that before. It was great. The next Sunday we went back to that little Baptist church and the first thing the pastor said was "let's all raise our hands and praise God like the pentecostal folks".

My wife and I looked at each other and wonder if the pastor knew, where we'd went to visit.

No he hadn't it was the Holy Spirit telling us that what we'd seen was acceptable to God. We left soon after that wanting a church that had God life in it. I was already baptized in the Holy Spirit but not a soul in that church wanted anything to do with it.

Many are called but few are chosen.
Many are cold and quite a few are frozen.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If you can find another means of distribution for the Charismatic gifts in the NT besides the two outpourings and the hands of an apostle, you can state your claim. But it is unfounded apart from doing this.
"And Jesus looking upon them saith, With men it is impossible, but not with God: for with God all things are possible." Mark 10:27

"Are all apostles? are all prophets? are all teachers? are all workers of miracles?
Have all the gifts of healing? do all speak with tongues? do all interpret?
But covet earnestly the best gifts: and yet shew I unto you a more excellent way. " I Cor 12:29-31

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you:
For every one that asketh receiveth; and he that seeketh findeth; and to him that knocketh it shall be opened." Matt 7:7-8

D

Dave L

"And Jesus looking upon them saith, With men it is impossible, but not with God: for with God all things are possible." Mark 10:27

"Are all apostles? are all prophets? are all teachers? are all workers of miracles?
Have all the gifts of healing? do all speak with tongues? do all interpret?
But covet earnestly the best gifts: and yet shew I unto you a more excellent way. " I Cor 12:29-31

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you:
For every one that asketh receiveth; and he that seeketh findeth; and to him that knocketh it shall be opened." Matt 7:7-8
It doesn't mention any other way.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Way my friend is Jesus. You are in effect condemning a lot of people because of your legalisms, not to mention limiting God. People do limit God, but it is an inadvisable practice.

You had better re-read the verses I posted. Covet the earnestly best gifts. With God all things are possible. Ask and it shall be given you. You can limit God in yourself by your black and white interpretation, but you cannot limit God in others who come to Him in faith even if they may not have your knowledge. What is your knowledge without charity?

"And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries, and all knowledge; and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, and have not charity, I am nothing." I Cor 13:2

If you don't know what charity is, it is best to get it and go on from there. How do you get it? Go back to Matt 7:7-8.

D

Dave L

The Way my friend is Jesus. You are in effect condemning a lot of people because of your legalisms, not to mention limiting God. People do limit God, but it is an inadvisable practice.

You had better re-read the verses I posted. Covet the earnestly best gifts. With God all things are possible. Ask and it shall be given you. You can limit God in yourself by your black and white interpretation, but you cannot limit God in others who come to Him in faith even if they may not have your knowledge. What is your knowledge without charity?

"And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries, and all knowledge; and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, and have not charity, I am nothing." I Cor 13:2

If you don't know what charity is, it is best to get it and go on from there. How do you get it? Go back to Matt 7:7-8.
But your "gifts" are not the same as the first century gifts. I can prove this simply by defining what the original gifts consisted of. And Scripture gives no other means of distribution beyond the two outpourings and an apostle's hands... now gone.

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Dave you have ears to hear and eyes to see but your heart is hardened to know what is truth....you have been given many scriptures and testimonies and still will not believe. In one place Paul says that tongues and prophesies will cease then in another place he says that in the last days God will pour out His spirit and we will dream dreams, see visions and prophesy...
KJ21 Acts 2:17
‘And it shall come to pass in the last days, saith God, I will pour out My Spirit upon all flesh; and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, and your young men shall see visions, and your old men shall dream dreams.

So Paul is quoting God in Acts 2:17 "saith God" but in 1 Corinithians 13:8 8Love never fails. But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be restrained; where there is knowledge, it will be dismissed. 9For we know in part and we prophesy in part,…
this is a teaching of how Love NEVER fails whereas prophesies and tongues will because for one man began to dismiss them not because God didn't want them to be used anymore. And look where is says where there is knowledge it will be dismissed but yet it is prophesied that knowledge will increase. Daniel 12:4 3Then the wise will shine like the brightness of the heavens, and those who lead many to righteousness, like the stars forever and ever. 4But you, Daniel, shut up these words and seal the book until the time of the end. Many will roam to and fro, and knowledge will increase.”

So before you go around and declare God's truths you need to know His truths because being a false teacher carries some serious consequences.

Triumph1300

Jan 11, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada

This is turning out to be a nice uplifting thread.
Keep those testimonies coming.
A few people might learn something here.
Praise The Lord.

D

Dave L

Dave you have ears to hear and eyes to see but your heart is hardened to know what is truth....you have been given many scriptures and testimonies and still will not believe. In one place Paul says that tongues and prophesies will cease then in another place he says that in the last days God will pour out His spirit and we will dream dreams, see visions and prophesy...
KJ21 Acts 2:17
‘And it shall come to pass in the last days, saith God, I will pour out My Spirit upon all flesh; and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, and your young men shall see visions, and your old men shall dream dreams.

So Paul is quoting God in Acts 2:17 "saith God" but in 1 Corinithians 13:8 8Love never fails. But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be restrained; where there is knowledge, it will be dismissed. 9For we know in part and we prophesy in part,…
this is a teaching of how Love NEVER fails whereas prophesies and tongues will because for one man began to dismiss them not because God didn't want them to be used anymore. And look where is says where there is knowledge it will be dismissed but yet it is prophesied that knowledge will increase. Daniel 12:4 3Then the wise will shine like the brightness of the heavens, and those who lead many to righteousness, like the stars forever and ever. 4But you, Daniel, shut up these words and seal the book until the time of the end. Many will roam to and fro, and knowledge will increase.”

So before you go around and declare God's truths you need to know His truths because being a false teacher carries some serious consequences.
If you don't stick to scripture, you end up with every other cult on the planet.

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thank you. I for sure know that! The grey areas I am unsure about drive me crazy!!!!! But I don't want to eat in them.and believe it solely based on what someone says, a dream I had, whatever. I want to know I believe based on God's Word alone, and I am unsure how to view what that scripture says. I have a leaning I have to pray about.

"...and believe it solely based on what someone says, a dream I had, whatever. I want to know I believe based on God's Word alone... " Amen sister. And The Spirit of God brings us into all truth so, between the Word of God and His Holy Spirit which is inside all believers, the Holy Spirit IS our teacher and our guide. If we have sincerity in learning the things of God, He will show us. Maybe not all in the same way, as our relationship to Him is personal. There are several issues I have been only scanning as, I need to pray on them before I even look into scripture. ♥

Reactions: Heart2Soul

Triumph1300

Jan 11, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
The last words by Jesus:

“But you shall receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you; and you shall be witnesses to Me in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the end of the earth.”

Reactions: Helen and Dave L

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
But your "gifts" are not the same as the first century gifts. I can prove this simply by defining what the original gifts consisted of. And Scripture gives no other means of distribution beyond the two outpourings and an apostle's hands... now gone.
You say "I can prove", but again we do not live for God by proof but by faith:

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen." Heb 11:1

"Jesus saith unto him, Thomas, because thou hast seen me, thou hast believed: blessed are they that have not seen, and yet have believed." John 20:29

If only the people who knew the Bible as the theologians with a degree from Bible school or seminary could be saved, then those students with high IQs would be most likely to please God and be with Him always. That is not how it is. God is no respecter of persons. The more we have, the more God will require from us.

"But he that knew not, and did commit things worthy of stripes, shall be beaten with few stripes. For unto whomsoever much is given, of him shall be much required: and to whom men have committed much, of him they will ask the more." Luke 12:48

Only God can prove anything. You or I can put down scriptures and not prove a thing to any person who is not hearing from God as we are.

D

Dave L

You say "I can prove", but again we do not live for God by proof but by faith:

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen." Heb 11:1

"Jesus saith unto him, Thomas, because thou hast seen me, thou hast believed: blessed are they that have not seen, and yet have believed." John 20:29

If only the people who knew the Bible as the theologians with a degree from Bible school or seminary could be saved, then those students with high IQs would be most likely to please God and be with Him always. That is not how it is. God is no respecter of persons. The more we have, the more God will require from us.

"But he that knew not, and did commit things worthy of stripes, shall be beaten with few stripes. For unto whomsoever much is given, of him shall be much required: and to whom men have committed much, of him they will ask the more." Luke 12:48

Only God can prove anything. You or I can put down scriptures and not prove a thing to any person who is not hearing from God as we are.
We need to be careful what we believe.
“On that day, many will say to me, ‘Lord, Lord, didn’t we prophesy in your name, and in your name cast out demons and do many powerful deeds?’ Then I will declare to them, ‘I never knew you. Go away from me, you lawbreakers!’” (Matthew 7:22–23)

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I am. If you can find another example of God giving the gifts beyond the two outpourings and an apostles' hands, you would have used it by now.
I turn my back on you and walk away dusting my feet for you are determined to serve your master and be his messenger to spread false doctrine.

D

Dave L

I turn my back on you and walk away dusting my feet for you are determined to serve your master and be his messenger to spread false doctrine.
You cannot have genuine faith apart from scripture. You need to prove what you believe from scripture.