rejecting Jesus Christ is different from the sin of blasphemy against the Holy Spirit.

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

GerhardEbersoehn

Jan 14, 2014
Johannesburg
www.biblestudents.co.za
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
Jesus was not talking about scriptures but about the healing of the demon possessed - mute and blind man that He had just performed, how the Pharisees are clearly guilty of blasphemy against the Son of man and against the Spirit.

Jesus was talking about HIMSELF IN SCRIPTURE as the Messiah, the Coming God, God in Christ, since the beginning of creation FORETOLD. The strong man He talks about was the devil who overcame Adam in Eden, and now Jesus has come to restore the Kingdom of God. The healing of the demon possessed was but one incidence of DIVINE REVELATION OF CHRIST IN SCRIPTURE.

But for you it only shows <<how>> one may feel for or against Jesus or satan, or <how> low one can sink in rebellion against Jesus or <how> high in one's own estimation one can swoon in self-love arrogance against Jesus -- PERSONAL FEELINGS which PROVE NOTHING "CONCERNING THE CHRIST" because it has NOTHING TO DO WITH SCRIPTURE OR WITH THE HOLY SPIRIT OR FOR THAT MATTER WITH CHRIST.

GerhardEbersoehn

Jan 14, 2014
Johannesburg
www.biblestudents.co.za
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
I don’t have the same view. I see the blasphemy against the Son of Man and against the Spirit, as made by the Pharisees based on and coming from the healing of the demon possessed - mute and blind man, not on and from the Scriptures.
Because this is becoming laughable, e.g., that I allegedly am saying <<the blasphemy against the Son of Man and against the Spirit .. is coming .. from the Scriptures>>, this will be my last post on this thread.

Tong2020

Apr 30, 2020
Faith
Christian
Country
Philippines
Tong2020 said:
Jesus was not talking about scriptures but about the healing of the demon possessed - mute and blind man that He had just performed, how the Pharisees are clearly guilty of blasphemy against the Son of man and against the Spirit.
Jesus was talking about HIMSELF IN SCRIPTURE as the Messiah, the Coming God, God in Christ, since the beginning of creation FORETOLD. The strong man He talks about was the devil who overcame Adam in Eden, and now Jesus has come to restore the Kingdom of God. The healing of the demon possessed was but one incidence of DIVINE REVELATION OF CHRIST IN SCRIPTURE.

But for you it only shows <<how>> one may feel for or against Jesus or satan, or <how> low one can sink in rebellion against Jesus or <how> high in one's own estimation one can swoon in self-love arrogance against Jesus -- PERSONAL FEELINGS which PROVE NOTHING "CONCERNING THE CHRIST" because it has NOTHING TO DO WITH SCRIPTURE OR WITH THE HOLY SPIRIT OR FOR THAT MATTER WITH CHRIST.
In the passage under consideration, that is Mt. 12:22-32, Jesus healed a demon possessed (mute and blind) man. But the Pharisees blasphemed against Him and against the Spirit. Their blasphemous words were with regards the healing, not with regards scriptures. There is nothing in the passage, not even indicative, referring to scriptures.

Tong
R2000

Tong2020

Apr 30, 2020
Faith
Christian
Country
Philippines
Tong2020 said:
I don’t have the same view. I see the blasphemy against the Son of Man and against the Spirit, as made by the Pharisees based on and coming from the healing of the demon possessed - mute and blind man, not on and from the Scriptures.
Because this is becoming laughable, e.g., that I allegedly am saying <<the blasphemy against the Son of Man and against the Spirit .. is coming .. from the Scriptures>>, this will be my last post on this thread.
Apparently, there is a misunderstanding. So let me say that again.

The blasphemous words of the Pharisees against both Jesus and the Spirit were with regards the healing of the demon possessed mute and blind man, not with regards scriptures.

Tong
R2001

GerhardEbersoehn

Jan 14, 2014
Johannesburg
www.biblestudents.co.za
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
In the passage under consideration, that is Mt. 12:22-32, Jesus healed a demon possessed (mute and blind) man. But the Pharisees blasphemed against Him and against the Spirit. Their blasphemous words were with regards the healing, not with regards scriptures. There is nothing in the passage, not even indicative, referring to scriptures.

The WHOLE PASSAGE is about nothing than the fulfilment of the Isaiah Scripture referred to in 17ff.

Please....?

Tong2020

Apr 30, 2020
Faith
Christian
Country
Philippines
The WHOLE PASSAGE is about nothing than the fulfilment of the Isaiah Scripture referred to in 17ff.

Please....?
While Matthew writes and takes reference to the scriptures is v.17-21, it so that we who reads may know why Jesus warned the multitude then, is so that, that which was spoken by Isaiah the prophet might be fulfilled. Such was told not to the multitude then, as the narrative does not say He did. Besides, it would be absurd to think that Jesus told them of that. So, I maintain my view, that the blasphemy made by the Pharisees against both the Son of Man and the Spirit is not with regards scriptures.

You say that the passage is the fulfillment of Isaiah scriptures in v.17-21. I disagree. Perhaps, you can show us how the passage is the fulfillment of the said Isaiah scriptures.

Tong
R2003

GerhardEbersoehn

Jan 14, 2014
Johannesburg
www.biblestudents.co.za
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
While Matthew writes and takes reference to the scriptures is v.17-21, it so that we who reads may know why Jesus warned the multitude then, is so that, that which was spoken by Isaiah the prophet might be fulfilled. Such was told not to the multitude then, as the narrative does not say He did. Besides, it would be absurd to think that Jesus told them of that. So, I maintain my view, that the blasphemy made by the Pharisees against both the Son of Man and the Spirit is not with regards scriptures.

You say that the passage is the fulfillment of Isaiah scriptures in v.17-21. I disagree. Perhaps, you can show us how the passage is the fulfillment of the said Isaiah scriptures.

Re: <<the blasphemy made by the Pharisees against both the Son of Man and the Spirit is not with regards scriptures.>> And I did not say <the blasphemy .. is not with regards scriptures.> I said the blasphemy was made by the Pharisees against both the Son of Man and the Spirit with regards to THE HOLY SPIRIT WHO BREATHED SCRIPTURE WITNESSING AND TESTIFYING AND ATTESTING JESUS THE CHRIST OF SCRIPTURE.
And if you cannot or don't want to believe Jesus' referring to Isaiah SERVED THE EXACT PURPOSE, consider this conversation over from my point of view.

Tong2020

Apr 30, 2020
Faith
Christian
Country
Philippines
Re: <<the blasphemy made by the Pharisees against both the Son of Man and the Spirit is not with regards scriptures.>> And I did not say <the blasphemy .. is not with regards scriptures.> I said the blasphemy was made by the Pharisees against both the Son of Man and the Spirit with regards to THE HOLY SPIRIT WHO BREATHED SCRIPTURE WITNESSING AND TESTIFYING AND ATTESTING JESUS THE CHRIST OF SCRIPTURE.
And if you cannot or don't want to believe Jesus' referring to Isaiah SERVED THE EXACT PURPOSE, consider this conversation over from my point of view.
It is that one would not see how the passage is the fulfillment of the said Isaiah scriptures, which you contend. That is why I disagree with you on that. So, if you can show how the passage is the fulfillment of the said Isaiah scriptures, that I may see if your contention holds. Else, it does not.

Tong
R2004

GerhardEbersoehn

Jan 14, 2014
Johannesburg
www.biblestudents.co.za
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
It is that one would not see how the passage is the fulfillment of the said Isaiah scriptures, which you contend. That is why I disagree with you on that. So, if you can show how the passage is the fulfillment of the said Isaiah scriptures, that I may see if your contention holds. Else, it does not.
For how many posts you denied any Scripture is pertinent while I have throughout maintained the whole question of 'the sin against the holy Spirit' is nothing were it not a matter of DENIAL AND REJECTION of 1) "Scripture .. 2) the Holy Spirit breathed .. 3) concerning the Christ"--by the Pharisees; just what you are doing right now.
Now you suddenly plead for Scripture but 'understood' YOUR warped and Pharisaic way.
The WHOLE chapter of Matthew 12 itself shows how the EVENT of confrontation between Jesus and the bigots, is the <fulfilment> of the Isaiah Scripture. And if you don't see it then you must want to not see it or must be incapable of seeing it.
It is you who are <contending>. I have no issue with you or with your contentions and disagreements. I AM NO ROMAN CATHOLIC OR RC brain-washed.

Phoneman777

Jan 14, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Colossians 2:14-16 - The Law That Was Against Us

rejecting Jesus Christ is different from the sin of blasphemy against the Holy Spirit.

THERE IS NO DIFFERENCE,
To "speak words against the Holy Spirit", is / means to argue against the "WITNESS" of the Holy Spirit while the only witness of the Holy Spirit is to witness of the Christ of God, the Lord Jesus the ONLY SAVIOUR OF HIS PEOPLE.
In other words, the sin against the Holy Spirit the sin which will never be forgiven the committer, is his LOOKING FOR ANOTHER SAVIOUR THAN JESUS CHRIST.

This, the unforgivable sin, in essence is the sinner's UNREPENTABLE ARROGANCE AND PRIDE and unpreparedness to recognise and admit and confess and LET GO of his sin -- ANY sin of his against God that he sinned against NO OTHER THAN GOD : God the Father AND the Son AND the Holy Spirit.
Amen! The only sin God can't forgive - the Unpardonable Sin - is "blasphemy against the Holy Spirit" .... but what is it?

It's resisting and resisting the Holy Spirit's pleadings, His reasonings, His convicting power which shows us our sins and our need to repent until we are past the point of no return when we've "seared" the conscience, permanently hardened our heart, crossed that "hidden boundary between God's mercy and His wrath". Why, then, does the Bible make it a point to mention the Holy Spirit's role? So that in the day of Judgment the lost will be without excuse, having been forewarned of that mysterious disturbance that makes them uncomfortable with their sin is God Himself, pleading, reasoning, convicting.

In other words, the only sin God can't forgive is the sin for which we fail to ask for forgiveness and deliverance.

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
There are 2 types of "Blasphemy" that iare related to the Holy Spirit.

1.) Blasphemy OF

2.) Blasphemy AGAINST

1.) In Hebrews 10:26, we see Blasphemy OF being committed by Christ rejection HEBREWS........ This is Christ Rejection.......and this sin is the "unpardonable sin" .= The unpardonable sin is to die in unbelief, a Christ rejector, having never been born again.
This is : John 3:36
The simple way to understand blasphemy OF the Holy Spirit is to simply realize that if you never are forgiven, you are un-pardoned by God, = the UN-Pardonable sin.
God can't pardon you, if you reject pardon, and that is the SIN of Blasphemy OF.

2. Blasphemy Against........is to attribute to Satan the Work of the Holy Spirit. This is the pharisees who said to Jesus, to His face, you are doing your miracles by the power of SATAN.
See that?
That is a sin that is specific to that time......when Christ was on earth.

Final answer : The born again, will never be held accountable for those sins........as 1.) they have already been pardoned... 2.) they can't go back in time 2000 yrs to tell Jesus to His face...."you are doing your miracles by the power of Satan.'

DJT_47

Oct 29, 2022
Michigan/Sterling Heights
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
True.

Repost

The unforgivable sin answer is in verse 30 of Mark 3 as relates to verse 22, insinuating that Jesus is in fact aligned with the devil or Beelzebub and his spirit is unclean.

Mark 3:22-30

22And the scribes which came down from Jerusalem said, He hath Beelzebub, and by the prince of the devils casteth he out devils. 23And he called them unto him, and said unto them in parables, How can Satan cast out Satan? 24And if a kingdom be divided against itself, that kingdom cannot stand. 25And if a house be divided against itself, that house cannot stand. 26And if Satan rise up against himself, and be divided, he cannot stand, but hath an end. 27No man can enter into a strong man's house, and spoil his goods, except he will first bind the strong man; and then he will spoil his house. 28Verily I say unto you, All sins shall be forgiven unto the sons of men, and blasphemies wherewith soever they shall blaspheme: 29But he that shall blaspheme against the Holy Ghost hath never forgiveness, but is in danger of eternal damnation: 30Because they said, He hath an unclean spirit

GerhardEbersoehn

Jan 14, 2014
Johannesburg
www.biblestudents.co.za
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
Amen! The only sin God can't forgive - the Unpardonable Sin - is "blasphemy against the Holy Spirit" .... but what is it?

It's resisting and resisting the Holy Spirit's pleadings, His reasonings, His convicting power which shows us our sins and our need to repent until we are past the point of no return when we've "seared" the conscience, permanently hardened our heart, crossed that "hidden boundary between God's mercy and His wrath". Why, then, does the Bible make it a point to mention the Holy Spirit's role? So that in the day of Judgment the lost will be without excuse, having been forewarned of that mysterious disturbance that makes them uncomfortable with their sin is God Himself, pleading, reasoning, convicting.

In other words, the only sin God can't forgive is the sin for which we fail to ask for forgiveness and deliverance.

It -the Unpardonable Sin - the "blasphemy against the Holy Spirit" -, is resisting the sole and only <pleadings> of and by the Holy Spirit of God and the despising and rejecting of <His reasonings, His convicting power which shows us our sins and our need to repent> IN LIGHT OF THE LIGHT THE WORD, GOD the SON that IN THE BEGINNING WAS, that was with God and WHO WAS AND IS AND EVER WILL BE THE SAME until we are past the point of no return when we've "seared" the conscience, permanently hardened our heart, crossed that "hidden boundary between God's mercy and His wrath". Why, then, does the Bible make it a point to mention the Holy Spirit's role? So that in the day of Judgment the lost will be without excuse, having been forewarned of that mysterious disturbance that makes them uncomfortable with their sin is God Himself, pleading, reasoning, convicting.

It -the Unpardonable Sin - the "blasphemy against the Holy Spirit" -, is resisting the sole and only <pleadings> of and by the Holy Spirit of God and the despising and rejecting of <His reasonings, His convicting power which shows us our sins and our need to repent> in the light of the WORD Jesus Christ the Light of the World” who “lightens the world”, so that there shall be NO ONE without excuse TO WHOM THE LIGHT HAS ENLIGHTENED—IN AND FROM the Holy Scripture, which is what makes each case of the blasphemy against the Holy Spirit a case of BLASPHEMY AGAINST THE MAN JESUS CHRIST.

No one who has not received the Scriptures can or will sin against The Spirit who breathed Holy Scripture. “The Spirit shall testify of Him”, Jesus Christ. God is both the Spirit and the Power, pleading, reasoning, and convicting…which shows us our sins and our need to repent, by “testifying” and “convincing” the lost sinner about Jesus Christ IN SCRIPTURE.

There never can be a sinner who has no knowledge of Holy Scripture who commits blasphemy against the Holy Spirit. If one say <until we are past the point of no return> pointed out in SCRIPTURE WHICH IS JESUS CHRIST, we are talking truth because Christ is the point of no return. When we say <we've "seared" the conscience, permanently hardened our heart, crossed that "hidden boundary between God's mercy and His wrath"> while this was never a searing of the conscience in the furnace with ANOTHER with you in the furnace, or the permanent hardening of our heart in the Plague that was upon HIM The First Born of GOD, or the crossing of that hidden boundary between God's mercy and His wrath JESUS CHRIST the Stumbling Block in The Only WAY, when we say so, we just are haughtily boasting as if we dispose of the noble propensities and are not totally depraved so that as natural creatures we would never have had such subjective ‘spiritual’ issues as you list above.

<Why, then, does the Bible make it a point to mention the Holy Spirit's role?> <So that in the day of Judgment the lost will be without excuse>, for sure! BUT NOT because <having been forewarned of that mysterious disturbance that makes them uncomfortable with their sin>, AS IF <that mysterious disturbance is God Himself, pleading, reasoning, convicting>, BUT IS GOD and is GOD IN CHRIST revealed and real “in the flesh” IN AND THROUGH THE HOLY FOR THAT VERY PURPOSE SCRIPTURE.

Because of Holy Scripture no one else than Jews and Christians possibly can sin against the Holy Spirit. But it is not sin against the Holy Spirit which is the cause of eternal death; it is sin against GOD THE FATHER AND THE SON AND THE SPIRIT—common human sin.

Compare what Arthur Pink says,
1668447182955.png
But Ah! the Word and the Spirit are inseparable and act together and at once and the one never without the other.

Carspr1999

Nov 25, 2022
Rocky Mount
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hello everyone,

I’ll be honest here. I used to have a careless, playful, irreverent sense of humor toward God & Jesus before I got saved. The Holy Spirit began to put an end to all of that when I accepted Jesus Christ as my personal Lord and Savior sometime between June 15 and July 8, 2022. A few months ago, after I got saved, I mentioned the Holy Spirit to my brother, and I said that the Holy Spirit was my friend, which I meant, and then I jokingly told him that I call the Holy Spirit “Dave.” Of course, I was kidding! I only address the Holy Spirit by the names the Bible uses to describe Him, such as comforter, advocate, etc. I am always careful when speaking to others about the Holy Spirit and His work because I do not want to give others the wrong impression. I remind myself and encourage others to listen to his promptings. When I called Him my “friend,” I meant it lovingly and when I said I called Him “Dave,” I wasn’t being serious. My brother said he knew I was kidding when I asked him about the incident a few days ago. Did I blaspheme against the Holy Spirit when I told my brother this? I randomly became concerned a few weeks ago. Until then, I hadn’t thought twice about it. In an earlier incident, the same brother and I were laughing together, and I jokingly told him that on Judgment Day, I’d say, “Well, one of us[meaning me] is lying, and it’s not….” I immediately stopped myself because I realized the direction my “joke” was heading in. I told my brother I was playing, and I believe I apologized to the Lord on the spot or perhaps later. My intention was not to call God a liar or even insinuate that he can lie. Nevertheless, I did. Obviously, this one is serious.

Carspr1999

Nov 25, 2022
Rocky Mount
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I feel like I should mention that I did ask the Lord for forgiveness, many times actually, for what I said. He has also given me signs that He is still with me. Monday, November 7, I was at the ER when suddenly I decided to buy 100 gospel coins to give out to people. I put a bag of 50 coins in my car to take to church. On Sunday, November 13, I went to church, making sure to grab my coins before heading inside, and when my pastor invited us to stand up and share, I stood up and announced that I had coins if anyone was interested. Everyone present took a coin or several. When I finished handing them out, my pastor and another member told me that 2 days earlier at Bible Study, they had prayed for material to witness with.