Remember the Sabbath Day to keep it holy

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

GerhardEbersoehn

Jan 14, 2014
Johannesburg
www.biblestudents.co.za
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
The three days of darkness ended before all the firstborn were slain at the beginning of Abib 15 (probably even earlier).

Defying human logic, the Scripture says the Egyptians MIDNIGHT buried their dead. Exodus 12:29. That's good enough for me. I only was a trench digger and brick chiseller all my life.

gadar perets

Jan 16, 2018
Raleigh, NC
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
Your answer is, first, untrue; no one ever for one Sabbath Day, '~obeyed~' the Sabbath Commandment of God; except The Son of Man Jesus Christ. Isaiah 56. "The Law was / came because of transgression", not keeping.
You conclude all guilty of Sabbath breaking because many broke the Sabbath (guilt by association). Did Nehemiah obey the Sabbath? (Nehemiah 13:14-22). How about the Levites (especially Aaron and Moses)? It is interesting that you would cite Isaiah 56. If your view is correct, then the promises of blessings for obeying the Sabbath will be realized by no one. No one will be blessed (vs.2); no one will receive a place and an everlasting name better than of sons and of daughters (vs.5); no one will ever be brought to YHWH's holy mountain and be made joyful (vs.7).
Yes, the Law came because of transgressions. Does that mean every single Israelites was a murderer, adulterer, idolater, and thief??? Neither does it mean they were all Sabbath breakers. You judge with an unrighteous judgment.

gadar perets

Jan 16, 2018
Raleigh, NC
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
Exactly like you are quoting from Hebrews, I did. But you act like I did not. Go back to my posts if you would, which I don't think you have read once with an open mind and watchful eye.

Read Genesis 2:17. Because it is not commented by the author that God oathed, his Word is lenient? What about his Sabbath Commandment, isn't it an oath of God? "THOU SHALT SURELY DIE" is God taking oath "BY HIMSELF", AS, TO, Adam and Eve. But will you, like they, try God out and see if He really meant what He said, because, you know, He did not 'sware' you know?

And by the way, that God spoke Genesis 1:29 on the Sixth Day proves by definition that God spoke Genesis 2:17 on the Sixth Day as well as that Eve and Adam spoke Genesis 3:2,3 ON THE SIXTH DAY.
You specifically quoted the oath of Hebrews 3:11. That is not the same as "Thou shalt surely die". The oath of Hebrews 3:11 refers to the sins Israel committed in the wilderness and Genesis 2:17 refers to eating from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil.

gadar perets

Jan 16, 2018
Raleigh, NC
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
Please try see the difference between "DEPARTED OUT on the fifteenth" and "ARRIVED OUT, IN", even "PLANTED" IN the land the LORD "brought you out INTO", on the sixteenth.
Do not play your shadow boxing game with me where you say one thing, but when I knock the daylight out of it you say you never said that.

gadar perets

Jan 16, 2018
Raleigh, NC
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
No, that's not what I wrote or said or meant, ever. You need to get your facts straight before trying to twist my words.
More shadow boxing as you deny your very own words.

And the LORD went before them by (That) Day", 13:20-22, because they could not distinguish which day it was, nor whether it was day or night due to the plague of darkness over all the land of Egypt.
Exodus 13:21 And YHWH went before them by day in a pillar of a cloud, to lead them the way; and by night in a pillar of fire, to give them light; to go by day and night:
If it was so dark that even the Israelites could not see where they were going, then why didn't YHWH lead them out by a pillar of fire night AND DAY?? Because in the daytime, when they could see where they were going, they needed to follow only the pillar of cloud. No pillar of fire was needed. Also, the darkness was only over the Egyptians. It had NO affect on Israel (Exodus 10:23).

gadar perets

Jan 16, 2018
Raleigh, NC
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
Defying human logic, the Scripture says the Egyptians MIDNIGHT buried their dead. Exodus 12:29. That's good enough for me. I only was a trench digger and brick chiseller all my life.
"Midnight" is something that exists within every 24 hour period. It does not refer to three days of darkness. Also, since you say the Israelites needed the pillar of fire to see where they were going during the supposed three days of darkness, then how did the Egyptians pursue them without the pillar of fire? Exodus 10:23 says;

"They saw not one another, neither rose any from his place for three days: but all the children of Israel had light in their dwellings."
They did not pursue Israel as you erroneously suggest. They cowered in their house too afraid to move because they could not see their hand in front of their face.

GerhardEbersoehn

Jan 14, 2014
Johannesburg
www.biblestudents.co.za
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
There is no Greek word that means "substance" in Colossians 2. Nor is there a Greek word that means "reality" in that chapter. The Greek word "soma" means the "body" (either literally or figuratively as in the "Body of Messiah".

If that's the way you want it, that's the way for you. I'm getting tired to do others' homework for them; so do your research yourself and consult the many true scholars, yourself. Then tell me of ONE who would say what you are saying. There shall be gnashing of teeth for the wise.

GerhardEbersoehn

Jan 14, 2014
Johannesburg
www.biblestudents.co.za
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
show me a verse that calls any day other than the 7th day a "Sabbath".

Leviticus 23:11,15,16, 15th of the First Month;
Leviticus 23:24 1st of the Seventh Month;
Leviticus 23:27 10th of the Seventh Month;
Leviticus 23:32 9th of the Seventh Month
Leviticus 23:39 15th of the Seventh Month;
Leviticus 23:39 21st (or?) 22nd of the Seventh Month.

Last edited:

GerhardEbersoehn

Jan 14, 2014
Johannesburg
www.biblestudents.co.za
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
Read Hebrews 3 and 4...

Here is 4:10-11

And whoever enters into God's rest, rests from his own works as God did from his.

Therefore, let us strive to enter into that rest, so that no one may fall after the same example of disobedience

That maybe for you makes every day your sabbath, whatever that, may be; but not God's "Seventh Day Sabbath OF THE LORD GOD ... God thus concerning spake by the Son" Hebrews 4:4; and certainly not the People of God's "keeping of the Sabbath-Rest-Day BECAUSE JESUS GAVE THEM REST". Hebrews 4:8,9.

It's not even the crumbs falling from the table you're satisfied by; but by your own fancies.

GerhardEbersoehn

Jan 14, 2014
Johannesburg
www.biblestudents.co.za
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
The original account from which Hebrews 4:1-11 is taken is found in Numbers 14:22-24, 28-30, and Deuteronomy 1:30-40. In both passages it was the "land" (of Canaan) that was being withheld because of unbelief. The children of Israel were on their wilderness journey to the "promised land," which was a type of the "rest" to come. Joshua brought them into that land or the typical "rest" (Joshua 1:13-15; 21:44; 22:4), yet the Almighty again spoke through David concerning this greater rest. In Psalm 95:11, David uses the phrase "my rest" instead of "the land" as in the original promise. Why? Because "the land" was only a type of the future rest to come when true believers enter into the true promised land, the "heavenly country" that the patriarchs of old saw from afar (Heb 11:13-16).

We are currently on our wilderness journey as well. We are heading for the heavenly country promised us. Just as the Israelites continued keeping the Sabbath rest throughout their wilderness journey, so, too, must we continue to keep the Sabbath rest. In fact, the Israelites continued to keep the Sabbath even after entering the typical promised land of Canaan. We, too, will continue in the Sabbath rest as prophesied by Isaiah even after the new heaven and new earth come (Isaiah 66:22-23).

If the common Christian view of Hebrews 4:10 is correct, that the Sabbath is abolished because we have entered the true rest and that every day is a Sabbath day, then, to be consistent, it must also be true that all work is abolished since we have ceased from our own works. In other words, if the physical rest is done away with, then the physical labor should also be done away with. However, since believers continue to do physical labors like farming, construction work, etc., they should also continue to rest from such labor as it is written. Additionally, the Sabbath rest is commanded for the sake of animals as well. Is it now permissible for farmers to work their animals seven days a week? Do animals somehow enter into the true rest as well?

Hebrews 4:11 talks about laboring to enter into that rest. It is not something we automatically receive upon accepting Yeshua as our Savior except by faith. That rest will become a reality upon our resurrection unto eternal life. That is why we see the saints of Revelation 14:12-13 laboring right up until death. It is only after death that the ultimate rest can literally begin. Note, also, that those saints "keep the commandments of God" (KJV), among which is the Sabbath.

We certainly can find rest for our souls in Messiah (Matthew 11:28-29), but he does not give our bodies rest, nor does he give animals rest. That kind of rest is only available through the Sabbath rest. Jeremiah 6:16 reads, "Thus saith Yahweh, 'Stand ye in the ways, and see, and ask for the old paths, where is the good way, and walk therein, and ye shall find rest for your souls.' But they said, 'We will not walk therein.' " The "old paths" and the "good way" that provides a "rest for the soul" includes the keeping of Yahweh's Sabbaths. Notice the similar wording found in Isaiah 58:12-13. The rest we have in Yeshua is only a foretaste of the rest to come at his second coming when we will be dwelling in the presence of the Father and the Son in the glorious "heavenly country".

Shabbat Shalom!

If moralising is boring, legalism is agonising.

Philip James

May 4, 2018
Brandon
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
That maybe for you makes every day your sabbath, whatever that, may be; but not God's "Seventh Day Sabbath OF THE LORD GOD ... God thus concerning spake by the Son" Hebrews 4:4; and certainly not the People of God's "keeping of the Sabbath-Rest-Day BECAUSE JESUS GAVE THEM REST". Hebrews 4:8,9.

It's not even the crumbs falling from the table you're satisfied by; but by your own fancies.

John 5:17

But Jesus answered them, "My Father is at work until now, so I am at work."

When we rest in Christ, it is no longer we who work , but HE who works in and through us.
And whether working or at rest we give glory and praise to the Father, through the Son..
And so whether working or at rest the day is Holy, as all creation has been made new....
Welcome to the 8th day ;)

GerhardEbersoehn

Jan 14, 2014
Johannesburg
www.biblestudents.co.za
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
"Midnight" is something that exists within every 24 hour period. It does not refer to three days of darkness. Also, since you say the Israelites needed the pillar of fire to see where they were going during the supposed three days of darkness, then how did the Egyptians pursue them without the pillar of fire? Exodus 10:23 says;

"They saw not one another, neither rose any from his place for three days: but all the children of Israel had light in their dwellings."
They did not pursue Israel as you erroneously suggest. They cowered in their house too afraid to move because they could not see their hand in front of their face.

Ja man, believe what you want, but don't tell me like you're telling God in his face He lies! "They saw not one another, neither rose any from his place for three days: NEVERTHELESS ... at midnight buried their dead." Go ahead, explain to God his inconsistencies, his talking nonsensical impossibilities . . . THE WHOLE BIBLE LONG! I believe what is written, not Gadar Perets!

GerhardEbersoehn

Jan 14, 2014
Johannesburg
www.biblestudents.co.za
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
John 5:17

But Jesus answered them, "My Father is at work until now, so I am at work."

When we rest in Christ, it is no longer we who work , but HE who works in and through us.
And whether working or at rest we give glory and praise to the Father, through the Son..
And so whether working or at rest the day is Holy, as all creation has been made new....
Welcome to the 8th day ;)

To you and those your ilk, my saying goes,
If legalism is boring, moralising is agonising.

GerhardEbersoehn

Jan 14, 2014
Johannesburg
www.biblestudents.co.za
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
You conclude all guilty of Sabbath breaking because many broke the Sabbath (guilt by association). Did Nehemiah obey the Sabbath? (Nehemiah 13:14-22). How about the Levites (especially Aaron and Moses)? It is interesting that you would cite Isaiah 56. If your view is correct, then the promises of blessings for obeying the Sabbath will be realized by no one. No one will be blessed (vs.2); no one will receive a place and an everlasting name better than of sons and of daughters (vs.5); no one will ever be brought to YHWH's holy mountain and be made joyful (vs.7).

Now you have written truth, fact, about the difference -- one difference -- between your Sabbath views of the Sabbath and that of the prophet Isaiah, that '~no one~' includes Jesus Christ "The Son of Man" of Isaiah 56. Therefore, If your view is correct, then the promises of blessings for obeying the Sabbath will be realised by no one. No one will be blessed (vs.2); no one will receive a place and an everlasting name better than of sons and of daughters (vs.5); no one will ever be brought to Yahweh's holy mountain and be made joyful (vs.7) : BECAUSE JESUS CHRIST in your view, is not "The Son of Man" of Isaiah 56.
So you could not have concluded more accurate or more true since you PRESUME not all sons and daughters of man guilty of Sabbath breaking but some, others than the only Son of Man, the keepers of it!

gadar perets

Jan 16, 2018
Raleigh, NC
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
If that's the way you want it, that's the way for you. I'm getting tired to do others' homework for them; so do your research yourself and consult the many true scholars, yourself. Then tell me of ONE who would say what you are saying. There shall be gnashing of teeth for the wise.
Neither Strong's nor Vine's include "substance" as a meaning of "soma". If there are "scholars" that say it does, it is because they are reading their definition into the word based on their faulty understanding of what Colossians 2:16-17 means. In context, verse 17 refers to the "Body of Messiah" (the Church), not the "substance is Christ".

gadar perets

Jan 16, 2018
Raleigh, NC
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
Leviticus 23:11,15,16, 15th of the First Month;
Leviticus 23:24 1st of the Seventh Month;
Leviticus 23:27 10th of the Seventh Month;
Leviticus 23:32 9th of the Seventh Month
Leviticus 23:39 15th of the Seventh Month;
Leviticus 23:39 21st (or?) 22nd of the Seventh Month.
I stand corrected. I phrased my question wrong. I should have wrote, "show me a verse that calls any day other than a holy day a "Sabbath". To call Sunday through Friday "Sabbath days" is just absurd.

gadar perets

Jan 16, 2018
Raleigh, NC
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
Ja man, believe what you want, but don't tell me like you're telling God in his face He lies! "They saw not one another, neither rose any from his place for three days: NEVERTHELESS ... at midnight buried their dead." Go ahead, explain to God his inconsistencies, his talking nonsensical impossibilities . . . THE WHOLE BIBLE LONG! I believe what is written, not Gadar Perets!
I can't seem to find a verse with the words in purple in it. What verse are you quoting? Please don't tell me Numbers 33:4 since that verse reads, "For the Egyptians buried all their firstborn, which YHWH had smitten among them: upon their gods also YHWH executed judgments." Nothing about midnight. However, even if they did bury their dead at midnight on Abib 15 (a ridiculous notion since they weren't killed until midnight on Abib 15), then the three days of darkness ended long before that.

Reactions: Truth

gadar perets

Jan 16, 2018
Raleigh, NC
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
Now you have written truth, fact, about the difference -- one difference -- between your Sabbath views of the Sabbath and that of the prophet Isaiah, that '~no one~' includes Jesus Christ "The Son of Man" of Isaiah 56. Therefore, If your view is correct, then the promises of blessings for obeying the Sabbath will be realised by no one. No one will be blessed (vs.2); no one will receive a place and an everlasting name better than of sons and of daughters (vs.5); no one will ever be brought to Yahweh's holy mountain and be made joyful (vs.7) : BECAUSE JESUS CHRIST in your view, is not "The Son of Man" of Isaiah 56.
So you could not have concluded more accurate or more true since you PRESUME not all sons and daughters of man guilty of Sabbath breaking but some, others than the only Son of Man, the keepers of it!
I was replying with your view in mind, not mine. Based on your reply, no one (except Yeshua) will realize the promises. In my view, many (including Yeshua) will realize the promises.