Removed Thread.

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Zachariah

Mar 20, 2023
Belief in government = belief in slavery.
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
When I was younger, before the year of 2007, I was open to people who said they could hear God speak. But now days I find myself feeling scared when someone tells me this.

Why do we need to hear the voice of God when the Bible is the complete word of God?

I got emotionally damaged by someone who said to me: "God told me not to talk to you anymore". I was like that is mean! Several years later the same person tried apologizing to me, telling me that they were going through depression. The conversations kept getting weirder after that.

I used to watch a Bible prophecy program, and lots of the so called "Prophets" said they could hear the voice of God, and yet none of the prophecies came true. Which meant they were false prophets. If they would of lived in the Old Testament times, in Israel they would of been stoned for it.

With that opening statement, here is my set of questions.

Do you hear the voice of God? What do you think of people who say they hear the voice of God? Do we need to hear the voice of God when we got the Bible to tell us?

When we know Truth we are encouraged from spirit (emotion) to act in wisdom. It is simply this. Anyone who says they speak to God in a different way is delusional.

Reactions: Nancy

Cassandra

Sep 24, 2021
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
God speaks to me through His Word.

I understand your fear too. I have read where people have quit reading their bibles because God talks to the now, and they dont need to.

How about Kat Kerr? :D God wakes her up daily, and Jesus told her to dye her hair pink. She says Santa lives in Heaven, and there is plenty of candy up there, too. She goes to heaven all the time.

She also battles hurricanes. With a stick.

People actually believe her.

And i don't remember the guy's name but Jesus taught him to play the saxophone. Can you imagine?

God talks to both of them. So there you go.

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
When I was younger, before the year of 2007, I was open to people who said they could hear God speak. But now days I find myself feeling scared when someone tells me this.

Why do we need to hear the voice of God when the Bible is the complete word of God?

I got emotionally damaged by someone who said to me: "God told me not to talk to you anymore". I was like that is mean! Several years later the same person tried apologizing to me, telling me that they were going through depression. The conversations kept getting weirder after that.

I used to watch a Bible prophecy program, and lots of the so called "Prophets" said they could hear the voice of God, and yet none of the prophecies came true. Which meant they were false prophets. If they would of lived in the Old Testament times, in Israel they would of been stoned for it.

With that opening statement, here is my set of questions.

Do you hear the voice of God? What do you think of people who say they hear the voice of God? Do we need to hear the voice of God when we got the Bible to tell us?
Delusional people are in every corner of life's experience and Satan is an active participant in the forming of opinions and experiences.
Even the thoughts (voices) in our own heads are often not our own; accusing thoughts, thoughts of revenge or sneaky operations.
That being said, God is able to speak to people in different ways and I have no doubt he does. Discernment in that regard is necessary.

I had an experience as a young person where God spoke to me (not audibly....and I didn't ask for it) but nevertheless I heard it clearly. As a result, it turned my life around.

Last edited:

ChristisGod

Aug 15, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We can count the times where God in an audible voice spoke the people in scripture which is less than the 10 fingers on your two hands. It was rare.

Reactions: Cassandra

Deborah_

Jun 7, 2015
Swansea, Wales
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
As a general rule, God speaks through the Bible. Anyone can "hear" Him speak in this way.

But occasionally He speaks directly and personally. He did so to me, once. It was a few weeks after I became a Christian (at the time, I didn't know that I was a Christian), and He told me to get baptised. I found it a scary experience.

Of course there are lots of people who will claim that God has spoken to them in order to give their messages or prophecies credibility. They are usually either self-deceived or lying.

sheariah07

Feb 2, 2023
Valenzuela
Faith
Christian
Country
Philippines
Hearing the voice of God means obeying what he commands in the bible, not hearing a literal voice.

His people obviously heard the voice of the false prophets but did not obey them.

John 10:8,27 KJV
All that ever came before me are thieves and robbers: but the sheep did not hear them.

[27] My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me:

John 10:4-5 KJV
And when he putteth forth his own sheep, he goeth before them, and the sheep follow him: for they know his voice. [5] And a stranger will they not follow, but will flee from him: for they know not the voice of strangers.

The Gentiles (us) who believed and obeyed heard his voice (not literal).

John 10:16 KJV
And other sheep I have, which are not of this fold: them also I must bring, and they shall hear my voice; and there shall be one fold, and one shepherd.

Hebrews 1:1-2 KJV
God, who at sundry times and in divers manners spake in time past unto the fathers by the prophets, [2] Hath in these last days spoken unto us by his Son, whom he hath appointed heir of all things, by whom also he made the worlds;

Jesus spoke during the times of the apostles because the bible was not yet completed like we have now. Jesus revealed himself to apostle Paul to reveal by him the mysteries of the kingdom to us. If he has already revealed it to Paul and Paul wrote it all down for us, what more do we need to hear from Jesus? All his will is written in the bible. All acts of righteousness is found in the bible. His word is enough to convert a soul.

1 Corinthians 15:8 KJV
And last of all he was seen of me also, as of one born out of due time.

Ephesians 3:1-5 KJV
For this cause I Paul, the prisoner of Jesus Christ for you Gentiles, [2] If ye have heard of the dispensation of the grace of God WHICH IS GIVEN ME TO YOU-WARD: [3] How that by revelation he made known unto me the MYSTERY; (as I wrote afore in few words, [4] Whereby, when ye read, ye may understand my knowledge in the mystery of Christ) [5] Which in other ages was not made known unto the sons of men, as it is now revealed unto his holy apostles and prophets by the Spirit;

Everyone who sincerely wants the truth alone hears Jesus' voice (not literal) but the mystery of the kingdom is revealed to them, as one who was blind and was made to see, as one who was deaf and was made to hear.

John 18:37 KJV
Pilate therefore said unto him, Art thou a king then? Jesus answered, Thou sayest that I am a king. To this end was I born, and for this cause came I into the world, that I should bear witness unto the truth. Every one that is of the truth heareth my voice.

Hearing his voice is through the conviction of the Holy Spirit.

Hebrews 3:7-8 KJV
Wherefore (as the Holy Ghost saith, To day if ye will hear his voice, [8] Harden not your hearts, as in the provocation, in the day of temptation in the wilderness:

Hebrews 3:15-16 KJV
While it is said, To day if ye will hear his voice, harden not your hearts, as in the provocation. [16] For some, when they had heard, did provoke: howbeit not all that came out of Egypt by Moses.

Hearing is obeying.

Matthew 7:24-27 KJV
Therefore whosoever heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them, I will liken him unto a wise man, which built his house upon a rock: [25] And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell not: for it was founded upon a rock. [26] And every one that heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them not, shall be likened unto a foolish man, which built his house upon the sand: [27] And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell: and great was the fall of it.

Last edited:

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Do you hear the voice of God? What do you think of people who say they hear the voice of God?
Hoo boy. This is a tough one.

I remember when I was struggling spiritually, and I was at small-group Bible study, and one of the leaders was talking about what God had "told" him to do. That sounded a little nutso (if not outright dangerous) to me (we're Methodists, not Charismatics, and we do everything in an orderly manner), so I asked what I still think is a very reasonable: question: How do you know what you "heard" came from God and not from deep within your own wants and desires? The only answer he could give was, "You just know", which I found completely unsatisfactory.

Except I think I have experienced what Larry was talking about.

The "still, small voice" is rarely an audible voice (in my experience). And everything I've read says to make sure you bounce what you've "heard" off some mature and trusted brothers and sisters in Christ.

Now you've got me wondering if I'm a little nutso myself. Wouldn't surprise me a bit.

Reactions: Helen

Wynona

Staff member
Encounter Team
Jan 27, 2021
North Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think we can definitely hear from God but we are to test the spirits. I don't think we should follow any voice that contradicts God's clear commands in the Bible.

But I do think we can hear a still small voice and have the Holy Spirit direct us if we are still and are listening.

Jn1.Chris

May 25, 2023
Virginia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have heard from The Lord in 3 ways. I am either schizophrenic or this is reality.

Emotional where it's very much a feeling. Very situational...very go left or go right. Not an everyday occurrence at all.

impression. Where it's almost like an idea is pressed into my conciousness. I am 50+... It is rare. 10 times??? I have a few impressions that are just there in my mind. They seem to come back to me throughout time.

Voice of God. Probably 3 times. This is not audible. It's not heard with ears. It's very much internal. Telepathy I suppose.
I will tell these stories eventually on CB.

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
My pastors wife told me , that the Lord spoke to her and told her she was going to marry her husband, they went to university together, she made me laugh when she said to the Lord at the time, when her now husband and her were friends, well, you best get me to fancy him because I don’t at this present time...LOL,haha.....then it all changed, they are a very close and happy couple.

Reactions: Wynona

ChristisGod

Aug 15, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think we can definitely hear from God but we are to test the spirits. I don't think we should follow any voice that contradicts God's clear commands in the Bible.

But I do think we can hear a still small voice and have the Holy Spirit direct us if we are still and are listening.
Yes I agree with the way you are saying it above.

Reactions: Wynona

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
John 10:8,27 KJV
All that ever came before me are thieves and robbers: but the sheep did not hear them.

[27] My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me:

Hearing his voice is through the conviction of the Holy Spirit.

Hebrews 3:7-8 KJV
Wherefore (as the Holy Ghost saith, To day if ye will hear his voice, [8] Harden not your hearts, as in the provocation, in the day of temptation in the wilderness:

Hebrews 3:15-16 KJV
While it is said, To day if ye will hear his voice, harden not your hearts, as in the provocation. [16] For some, when they had heard, did provoke: howbeit not all that came out of Egypt by Moses.

Hearing is obeying.

Matthew 7:24-27 KJV
Therefore whosoever heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them, I will liken him unto a wise man, which built his house upon a rock: [25] And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell not: for it was founded upon a rock. [26] And every one that heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them not, shall be likened unto a foolish man, which built his house upon the sand: [27] And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell: and great was the fall of it.
Very good verses here my friend: Where is it then that one gets the "ears to hear"? By and through the Holy Spirit as you wrote.

Consider also what Jesus did here:

Mr 7:34And looking up to heaven, he sighed, and saith unto him, Ephphatha, that is, Be opened.
Mr 7:35And straightway his ears were opened, and the string of his tongue was loosed, and he spake plain.

And/or simply ask of the One who is both willing and able:

Mt 7:7Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you:
Mt 7:8For every one that asketh receiveth; and he that seeketh findeth; and to him that knocketh it shall be opened.
Mt 7:9Or what man is there of you, whom if his son ask bread, will he give him a stone?
Mt 7:10Or if he ask a fish, will he give him a serpent?
Mt 7:11If ye then, being evil, know how to give good gifts unto your children, how much more shall your Father which is in heaven give good things to them that ask him?

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Just my opinion. From a writers perspective not that I’m that great at it but I love writing. Like how some view painting, some like doctors or nurses through help many more, that have different perspectives to His voice. For example the disciples and how each gave a unique perspective. Even a tax collector! To me because of writing I’ve learned there is another way to view “Voice” and again (just an opinion) but is very well seen or heard in the Word of God. Distinction of voice. How some read it in their own voice, not being ugly but can’t you see or hear …their spin and their take on voice, picking out what helps keep their voice over His?. As in “God says it is okay for man to have many wives because Solomon had many wives.” Or the Song of Solomon is sexual. I don’t think so. Not at all. Then they, promoting their own lust, of having “many wives” wind up on a talk show being interviewed; grinning ear to ear being asked who told them they should have many women. “Well….God said for me to have that many wives.” I’m sorry but (Imo) perverts that anyone discerning would not leave the children unattended around them. Yet they speak of Hearing God’s Voice using it to feed their desires calling it “the Word of God” …the Bible.

Another one I read recently that floored me was the disappearance of Gabby Laundry. (Hopefully I spelled that right.) if you never read what happened to her she was killed by her boyfriend who then killed himself. The mother is being charged with helping her son interfering in finding Gabby to protect him, the mother going to trial because a letter was found on his body. The mothers letter read “burn after reading”. In it she told him if he ever had a body to dispose of she would show up with a shovel and help him get rid of the body. How that was how much she loved her son. She claims the letter was all prior and had nothing to do with gabby. Just a reminder to him when they were in a fight of how much she loved him. But what floored me was in it the mother quoted “the Bible” telling her son
Romans 8:39 No height, no depth, not any other creature, shall be able to separate us from …then she changed it to nothing can separate you from my love…I will bring the shovel.

Sorry I know that is a long way around saying without hearing His voice in the Bible …that “bible” becomes all kinds of “voices” that are not His.

To me the reason you have to hear His voice even though all have a book called the Bible…is because an author has a print, as unique as a fingerprint…and God The Author of all things has a One of a Kind Voice that is distinct from our own voice or any other voice in the world. We can open the Bible and read…but even He said they read the scriptures every Sabbath but did not know Him or they would not have killed Him.
To me there is a supernatural Voice to the Word of God…not audible but supernatural as it enters in and transforms speaking over our own voice that we might hear His above our own. To me it is okay if I get hundreds of things wrong if I truly just once hear His true Voice instead of my own or any other voice….consider the passage of how: not any time had they heard His Voice…to me it is a blessing to Hear His distinct Voice calling to a child (having nothing to do with audible. someone in the thread mentioned it being said or pushed… that the Bible is no longer needed if you hear His Voice. I would say it is the opposite where Hearing His Voice draws one to read and studying His Voice more, to learn to distinguish His Voice even more from their own. How many verses have changed on a person and those verses become ..not thrown out as no longer needed but something intimate that you hold dear?

Why would any not want others to read and to Hear God’s Voice? It is like the man who asked one of the disciples to read it to him…and that one began at Jesus… then weirdly that one that began at Jesus was translated and appeared some place else.
Just my input was …that you got emotionally damaged because in distress you could discern it wasn’t Gods Voice and that voice troubled you. I’m not saying who said this to you was bad. But I felt the same maybe judgmental when I read a mother comparing “no love can separate you from me” to her son in reference to getting a shovel to bury a body of a young girl he admitted to killing. It bothered me because I wished I could say that is not His Voice. Hopefully not as judgmental but discerning in recognizing good grief that is not Gods Voice even though the words come from the Word of God. So do you throw away the Bible as the cause of what one does with the Bible?
I used to watch a Bible prophecy program, and lots of the so called "Prophets" said they could hear the voice of God, and yet none of the prophecies came true. Which meant they were false prophets. If they would have lived in the Old Testament times, in Israel they would have been stoned for it.
I don’t know. Which prophets do you mean?
Do you hear the voice of God?
I’m going to be bold and say Yes! absolutely. Not to mean I’m unique but even being convicted about things I foolishly did to my daughters as they were growing up (myself a child mentally and didn’t even know it) and all the harm that my actions caused my husband, my children, and now my grandchildren…seeing now how my (wrong)voice caused pain and destruction and death; and then hearing His Mercy and Grace and Forgiveness out of the train wreck I caused and put into motion…yes I am going to say I hear His Voice. Distinguishing my voice of denial and foolishness apart from His Voice which speaks of better things.

What do you think of people who say they hear the voice of God? …it depends. Does it line up with Who God is? Does the voice they hear promote sin unto death or obedience unto Life (Christ)?

Do we need to hear the voice of God when we got the Bible to tell us? Absolutely need to hear His Voice otherwise those verses we take to promote our own ways (and to justify them)and not His Ways…lead unto death. It can’t be denied, I don’t think, that …we can read the Bible and make it say whatever we want it to say …but the Question remains is it His Voice? What Voice does He mean in …
Romans 10:17-18 So then faith cometh by hearing (God’s Voice, the Author s’ Voice?) , and hearing (God’s Voice, the Author’s Voice)by the word of God. [18] But I say, Have they not heard? Yes verily, their sound went into all the earth, and their words unto the ends of the world.
…so how did they not know He would provoke them to jealousy with a nation of fools?
Romans 10:20-21 But Esaias is very bold, and said, I was found of them that sought me not; I was made manifest unto them that asked not after me. [21] But to Israel he said, All day long I have stretched forth my hands unto a disobedient and gainsaying people.

Or what Hearing of Voice is spoken of in “My Sheep hear My Voice”… and “no other voice will they follow”….this reminds me of your conflict of hearing a voice coming from the one that caused you emotional pain and your hesitation to follow that voice…knowing something was not true about the voice…who hearing of His Voice warned to not follow the voice?

And a mother takes the Bible as saying “nothing can separate my love from you. I will bring a shovel to bury what you killed.” …sorry but that stands out to me as the most blunt visual of answering the question: do we need to hear God’s Voice if we have the Bible which is “complete”. Now thinking about it. “The Bible” is not and can not be “complete” just because men say it is “complete”. Because God (His Spirit, His Voice) “completes”. the Word of God: the “bible” is not complete without “the Spirit of God” and “His Voice” declaring the Words spoken as “complete” “made whole” “without seam” “everlasting” “a whole Garment ” to put on which is the “New Man” and no lowercase “voice”.
1 Corinthians 14:33
[33] For God is not the author of confusion, but of peace, as in all churches of the saints.
Does that mean Hearing His Voice leads out from confusion, as in where Christ said His sheep hear His Voice and He leads them?

Last edited:

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
In my case, i hear scriptures.
I see them in me.

The way i teach "hearing God" is.....the Holy Spirit enlightens, shows you, ect.
I teach this as the Holy Spirit talking to you, inside.
I teach this as the Word of God..God the Holy Spirit.. speaking to you.
And this teaching will never lead you into self righteousness.

When will this happen the most to you?

A.) When you study the bible, in a disciplined way....... and not once a month, or per year., or just on Sunday when the man says..."open your bibles".
Im talking about daily.
Have a bible time....everyday...same time.....at least once a day.
(early is best).
Turn off the phone, the internet, the big screen, and just get the bible and get QUIET and read it.
You should read Romans 3 :21-28 today, as a matter of fact. Carefully, listening.

See, if you will read the word.....taking your time. with the verses.. ... God will cause the Bible to speak to you.
Verses will "pop out".....they will show you something, that is beyond the words..
God is speaking to you.

"study".

Last edited:
Reactions: ChristisGod

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
God speaks to me in various ways. Through dreams, through the bible, through nature and also other ways too. Often he gives me something I can share on this site and sometimes it's personal.

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
God speaks to me in various ways. Through dreams, through the bible, through nature and also other ways too. Often he gives me something I can share on this site and sometimes it's personal.
I can relate. Sometimes through nature confuses me. Yes, can see beauty. But sometimes things throw me into doubt and questions. Not so beautiful (Imo). One right now is the bird house mounted to our home right beside the door under our porch. It looks more like a decorative mailbox which we didn’t think birds would ever next in. A momma bird has made her nest in the house. The last time a snake got them. In fact a snake gets the babies more often than not out of all our birdhouse. This bird though has gotten used to us. We call her “hopper” because she hops around at your feet staying around us while feeding her babies. She will even come sit on the swing while you are swinging and stare right beside you. The grandchildren adore her. Chucking at the way she hops more often than flies. My stomach drops every morning coming out wondering if I’ll still hear her babies and see her. Or if they will be gone. Stupid I know but it isn’t only about a snake eating the babies and sometimes the mother trapping them all inside…but the consuming of something that I see as vulnerable in the nest every night without any defense just waiting. This part of nature I question why it has to be so? Because it doesn’t seem to aline with His nature? Again I know this is a part of it…but I was outside late last night spraying vinegar, garlic, and cinnamon all over the deck under her house and up the walls around her house, just wanting one time for the snake not to get this momma and her babies.

Attachments

• F6DD3215-3235-4534-9422-3E69BE299820.jpeg
    F6DD3215-3235-4534-9422-3E69BE299820.jpeg
    341.2 KB · Views: 4
Reactions: Lambano and amadeus

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Sometimes through nature confuses me.
Does that mean you can't understand how God speaks to me through nature? An example of that is this:
A LIFE LESSON FROM A HYDRANGEA
We have had quite a prolonged dry spell here in the north west of England and today when I looked out of the window I saw that my beautiful hydrangea ‘Limelight’ was looking rather droopy and sorry for itself.
I only planted it last back end and have been looking forward to seeing its glorious blooms again. Of course I rushed out with the watering can and in a very short time it had bucked up again.
And I thought how we Christian can sometimes get wilted and a bit droopy and that we need the refreshing spring of living water from the Holy Spirit to refresh and revive us so that we are restored once again to what we are meant to be in Christ Jesus.

ButterflyJones

Feb 19, 2023
USA
youtube.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think we all hear the voice of God at some time in our life. It just is maybe a matter of discernment and paying attention. Stepping away from our fixation on the selfish personal and being open to the deeply spiritual.

Jesus said the kingdom is laid out all around us, we just don't see it. And we know his holy spirit is within. So we are never without that guidance. Whether we know it or not.

Reactions: Karl Peters