Removed Thread.

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Rita

Staff member
Dec 20, 2020
South
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I think it very much depends on your age and how secure you are In yourself, I am of the generation ( old ) where it honestly doesn’t bother me if I get likes on Facebook ect. However I know my grand children are very much drive by how they are perceived by others, especially my grand daughters. Within society it’s all about approval these days, affirmation from the people around you.
Not sure that this site would be that way inclined.
I tend to like a post because often my time is short and I don’t feel able to add anything or because someone else has said exactly what I would have said, it’s more about contributing in some way at times.
Rita

ButterflyJones

Feb 19, 2023
USA
youtube.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I want you all to know, that there are many times when I think what you posted was good, but you will never get a "like" from me. This sounds mean but it is not meant to be. A guy by the name of Justin Rosenstein helped create the "like" button. On facebook it is a tracking feature. And it is also used to make you feel good. That good feeling is designed to make you keep coming back. It is like an addiction button. And that is my reasoning as to why I don't use the like button. I want you to watch this video called Brain Hacking on 60 minutes. They will give you more details how social media uses that like button to help addict you to the website. As a believer, I don't want to be addicted to anything. I'm not saying that I have achieved this. I'm just saying that I feel that the like button is kinda evil. I'm not here trying to tell you what to do. You can use it if you want too. Just get informed, and secondly please understand why I feel the way I feel about it. That is all I ask.

Rita

Staff member
Dec 20, 2020
South
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
As far as this site is concerned, I think "to each their own." With that being said, I have had two people mention to me that I'm not giving out "likes". Apparently the "like" button has become apart of our online culture, so much so that we get judged by when we use it and when we don't. I'll never forget the first time I saw it. I didn't know any thing about how it could be used to track or addict people. I just saw the hand with a thumb up, and said to myself: "That looks childish." lol
The like button is optional and completely open to each individual member, other members should no expect people to use this function.
They shouldn’t challenge you about it as you are not doing anything wrong by not using it xxxxx

Josho

Millennial Christian
Staff member
Jul 19, 2015
The Land of Aus
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I want you all to know, that there are many times when I think what you posted was good, but you will never get a "like" from me. This sounds mean but it is not meant to be. A guy by the name of Justin Rosenstein helped create the "like" button. On facebook it is a tracking feature. And it is also used to make you feel good. That good feeling is designed to make you keep coming back. It is like an addiction button. And that is my reasoning as to why I don't use the like button. I want you to watch this video called Brain Hacking on 60 minutes. They will give you more details how social media uses that like button to help addict you to the website. As a believer, I don't want to be addicted to anything. I'm not saying that I have achieved this. I'm just saying that I feel that the like button is kinda evil. I'm not here trying to tell you what to do. You can use it if you want too. Just get informed, and secondly please understand why I feel the way I feel about it. That is all I ask.

I understand where you are coming from, I don't believe the like button is evil, but it can have both positive and negative effects, but more so on FB than anything else, where some get 100s of likes and some get none on their posts.

Reactions: dev553344

Josho

Millennial Christian
Staff member
Jul 19, 2015
The Land of Aus
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
According to the guy on the 60 minutes video, Instagram which is owned by Facebook, actually holds back likes to make the person feel anxious in anticipation for it. From my understanding this really really does an emotional number on girls who are constantly posting pictures of themselves to feel liked.

Correct me if I'm wrong. But I think we can use our facebook account to sign up and sign into this forum. If that is the case, I have been wondering if even our like button is feeding something to facebook.
Yes you can log in through fb, not that I am aware that the like button on cyb feeds into to fb, as the like button here is not linked it's not a fb like button, however logging in through Facebook may tell fb that you like Christian stuff, so they may advertise more Christian stuff to you as a result, which couldn't be a bad thing.

From my observations I find girls seem to interact with each other's post on social media more than men do and are more likely to hit the like button.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The like button is used to show a friendly disposition to others. I don't think it's about addiction really.

Reactions: amadeus

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I liked your post because it's an affirmation to you.

I believe most if not all features on social media are intended to addict people. Social media also stratifies people, sorting them into bubbles based on culture, beliefs, all sorts of things. So that we become divided and at war.

There is much insidious evil on the internet!

Much love!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I tend to like a post because often my time is short and I don’t feel able to add anything or because someone else has said exactly what I would have said, it’s more about contributing in some way at times.
That's what's in my mind mostly also.

Much love!

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The like button is used to show a friendly disposition to others. I don't think it's about addiction really.
Aye, for me, it definitely does not mean that I agree with all the person wrote with regard to opinions or beliefs expressed. Sometimes it is to show that I appreciate the effort and/or sincerity of the person even though I may disagree with much or all of what they wrote.

Also, I do not read all of the posts posted nor do I write out an answer to all the posts I have read. Sometimes I give a person a "like" to let the person know that I did read what they wrote in order to encourage them.

I do this especially on prayer requests. I do not always pray exactly as the persons asks us to pray. So, a simple "like" lets them know I am praying without expressing how I am praying.

People requesting prayer quite often need to know that some person is paying attention. God certainly is... but a lot of people, I believe, need some direct encouragement on a one-on-one human level.

@AlwaysOnAJourney

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
As far as this site is concerned, I think "to each their own." With that being said, I have had two people mention to me that I'm not giving out "likes". Apparently the "like" button has become apart of our online culture, so much so that we get judged by when we use it and when we don't. I'll never forget the first time I saw it. I didn't know any thing about how it could be used to track or addict people. I just saw the hand with a thumb up, and said to myself: "That looks childish." lol
I put a like on it if it be TRUTH . But get ready for a hard belly laugh .
I dont post for likes . PEROID . i post truth because i love the peoples .
I will always put a like on TRUTH .

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Aye, for me, it definitely does not mean that I agree with all the person wrote with regard to opinions or beliefs expressed. Sometimes it is to show that I appreciate the effort and/or sincerity of the person even though I may disagree with much or all of what they wrote.

Also, I do not read all of the posts posted nor do I write out an answer to all the posts I have read. Sometimes I give a person a "like" to let the person know that I did read what they wrote in order to encourage them.

I do this especially on prayer requests. I do not always pray exactly as the persons asks us to pray. So, a simple "like" lets them know I am praying without expressing how I am praying.

People requesting prayer quite often need to know that some person is paying attention. God certainly is... but a lot of people, I believe, need some direct encouragement on a one-on-one human level.

@AlwaysOnAJourney
I identify with all these at times.

Much love!

Rockerduck

Nov 7, 2022
Marietta, Georgia.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don't get on Facebook, its evil. I don't get on Twitter, it used to be evil, but I still don't get on it, and same with tiktok, instagram, and any others. I carry my cell just for my wife, but I use it mostly for a camera. I am a camera nut, I had probably 30 camera's and threw most away. But I have a gift to see a good picture. When I do, I take it.

If you are addicted to likes, look at your security issues. I grew up without looking for anybody to make me happy, you can only make yourself happy.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don't get on Facebook, its evil. I don't get on Twitter, it used to be evil, but I still don't get on it, and same with tiktok, instagram, and any others. I carry my cell just for my wife, but I use it mostly for a camera. I am a camera nut, I had probably 30 camera's and threw most away. But I have a gift to see a good picture. When I do, I take it.

If you are addicted to likes, look at your security issues. I grew up without looking for anybody to make me happy, you can only make yourself happy.
Well said. I still get on Facebook, to see my old friends and family.

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think it very much depends on your age and how secure you are In yourself, I am of the generation ( old ) where it honestly doesn’t bother me if I get likes on Facebook ect. However I know my grand children are very much drive by how they are perceived by others, especially my grand daughters. Within society it’s all about approval these days, affirmation from the people around you.
Not sure that this site would be that way inclined.
Rita

What would be nice would be if someone created an "appreciate" button or something like that. I often want to show my appreciation for a post while not feeling comfortable with bestowing a -like- upon it - lol. I've experimented with the -loveeyes- button a little but it doesn't seem to be working too well to that end.

Sometimes I like something that is expressed while having reservations about the way it was said. People make a lot of good points while being too insensitive.

I, myself (I know, it's shocking :eek:), too often blurt things out without enough consideration for how they will be perceived by others. But, at the risk of appearing to offer excuses, I'm always praying for grace to overcome that.

Reactions: Rita and amadeus