Repentance is the Gift Of God !

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So according to your thinking.....the thing that saves us —“repenting From Sins”—- is not mentioned in the NT and just hinted at in the Old .....seems like God is trying to keep the means of Salvation from everybody....
Btw ...the Ezekiel quote is not referring to Eternal Life....

You cannot be sure that Ezekiel 33:19 is not speaking of eternal life.

But what it does is give us a definition of what it means to repent. 2 Chronicles 7:14 does the same.

We may get our primary doctrine from the New Testament; but the Old is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, and for instruction in righteousness.

We can get teaching from the Old Testament that defines for us what certain things in the New Testament do mean.

So when God says, "Turn from your wickedness and you shall live thereby..." we can take that as a definition of what it means to repent and be saved.

The Gift is received because it is Given. You don't understand a gift in the Spiritual realm, you thinking carnally.

No, you are thinking carnally. A gift must be received in order to be owned. If it is rejected, it remains in the hand of the giver.

brightfame52

Oct 16, 2020
Atlanta
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You cannot be sure that Ezekiel 33:19 is not speaking of eternal life.

But what it does is give us a definition of what it means to repent. 2 Chronicles 7:14 does the same.

We may get our primary doctrine from the New Testament; but the Old is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, and for instruction in righteousness.

We can get teaching from the Old Testament that defines for us what certain things in the New Testament do mean.

So when God says, "Turn from your wickedness and you shall live thereby..." we can take that as a definition of what it means to repent and be saved.

No, you are thinking carnally. A gift must be received in order to be owned. If it is rejected, it remains in the hand of the giver.
You thinking carnally. Spiritual Gifts are Given.

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You thinking carnally. Spiritual Gifts are Given.
There is no point in continuing to argue with you. Suffice it to say that you are wrong.

You can try to have the last word; but my last word is that what you have been saying all along is mistaken.

BloodBought 1953

Jun 3, 2020
Portsmouth Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So when God says, "Turn from your wickedness and you shall live thereby..." we can take that as a definition of what it means to repent and be saved.[/QUOTE]

Believe as you wish ....The latest word we have from Jesus about “ being Saved” is to Believe that He died for our Sins and rose from the Grave.....

“ Turning From Wickedness “ is something that released Prisoners do every day.Anybody can learn from the Error Of their ways and “ turn over a New Leaf” .....that can make a man more “ moral” , but it does not get him the “ Holy Spirit” ....neither does it make him “ Born Again”..... two MUSTS for going to Heaven.
Abandoning Wickedness is a positive thing ....people should do it......it is just not the route to go to get Saved.....
It won’t Save you anymore than “ Repenting Of Sins” will.....that phrase is NOWHERE to be found in the KJV Bible....

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi @Blood Bought 1953,

Of course it is true that our salvation is based in Christ's shed blood and that without it no one can be saved...and therefore if someone "turns over a new leaf" without application of the blood of Jesus, they are going to fall flat on their face.

They may attempt to change their lives but they will not find themselves capable of doing so.

Jer 13:23, Can the Ethiopian change his skin, or the leopard his spots? then may ye also do good, that are accustomed to do evil.

It is not only repentance that will change a man's life...the blood of Jesus Christ must also be applied.

The blood of Jesus does not only justify (as per Romans 5:9)....it also sanctifies (Hebrews 13:12, Hebrews 10:29) and cleanses us from all sin (1 John 1:7).

I think that you agree with me that it cannot be applied without performing all of its functions.

When applied therefore, it will not only justify...it will also sanctify and cleanse.

In the same stroke.

So, the question is, does Jesus do this work of sanctification and cleansing against the will of the believer?

Since a man is always born (the first time) dead in trespasses and sins, that means that when he stumbles across real Christianity, he will be walking headlong in the direction of sin.

Will the Lord sanctify and cleanse such a man if he does not change his direction so that now, he is walking in the direction of righteousness?

Is this not a decision that must be made by the man?

Is Jesus and the Holy Spirit not a gentleman?

What is this decision called in holy scripture?

I will tell you...it is called repentance.

Act 3:19, Repent ye therefore, and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out, when the times of refreshing shall come from the presence of the Lord;

You would contend that repentance does not have anything to do with turning away from the direction that you were walking in before...and that is false doctrine.

Verily, verily, I say unto you, that to repent means to make a 180-degree turn in a new direction.

'nuff said!

Last edited:

BloodBought 1953

Jun 3, 2020
Portsmouth Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You would contend that repentance does not have anything to do with turning away from the direction that you were walking in before...and that is false doctrine.

Verily, verily, I say unto you, that to repent means to make a 180-degree turn in a new direction.[/QUOTE]

I agree....But there are three different Greek words that are translated as “ repentance “ in the
Bible .
The type of Repentance that is used in conjunction with Salvation is the type that means “ mind change” ( Metanoia) ...one “ changes their mind” about Jesus.They go from a person that is Damned because they are an Unbeliever, to person that is Saved because they “changed their mind” and became an actual Believer.
The “ Change in Direction” that you Key in On is what the Holy Spirit drives a person to do AFTER he becomes Saved.....
As I said, ANYBODY can “ change direction” and become a better person— that’s always a good, positive thing , But is NOT God’s recipe for Salvation—- THAT would be better described as a recipe for a part of Sanctification, that System whereby God Transform a person into the image of His Son—- The Point Of Everything ......A Process That starts AFTER Salvation has occurred.....
The Repentance That Saves is not Turning “FROM” Sin ( Any Wise, enlightened man can do that! ).....it is Turning “ TO” Jesus.
Turn to Jesus by Resting in His Gospel.....That is the ONLY to get the HOLY SPIRIT in you....once you have that Spirit Of God in you, Sin will become so abhorrent to you, you will have a Natural desire to Turn from it......
“ TURN TO Me and I will turn to you”. “ All Those That will TURN TO ME with Faith in My Son, Jesus Christ , I will SAVE TO THE UTTERMOST”........
Wanna get Saved? REPENT! But understand the Type Of Repentance God demands—-Jesus gave us all a picture of what it looks like in Luke18:9.......
We can debate about “ repentance” until the cows come home .....All that I know is that I want to get Saved! How about you? Jesus said that the Sinful Tax-Collector got Saved by sayin the following Prayer —— a Prayer that came from a Contrite( or Repentant) Heart.....” Lord , Have Mercy on me , a Sinner!”
That Prayer got me Saved —- It will get you Saved also! Christianity Starts with a Contrite Heart ....a “ mind change” that takes you from thinking “ I’m OK” to “ I am LOST, and I need a Savior!
Any “ Change” or any “Rate” Of Change or any “ Extent” Of Change in one’s Behavior is totally useless unless you possess the TWO THINGS that every person that makes it to Heaven possess —- A Contrite, or Repentant Heart That has Turned to God as a Lost Sinner and combined THAT with Faith in Jesus ALONE to Save Him .....
By ALL means—— REPENT! Just make sure you know what it means . God Bless....

brightfame52

Oct 16, 2020
Atlanta
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There is no point in continuing to argue with you. Suffice it to say that you are wrong.

You can try to have the last word; but my last word is that what you have been saying all along is mistaken.
You are wrong, your concept of a gift is worldly. When God gives Repentance its received.

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi BB1953,

Just wanted to say that I made that prayer a long time ago now ("God, be merciful to me, a sinner") and was justified thereby.

According to John 5:24 (kjv) therefore I shall not come into condemnation but have passed from death unto everlasting life. This is a life that can never come to an end and a life in which there is no condemnation in the future.

I am indeed speaking of sanctification when I tell people to repent. There is also a sense in which justification occurs when a man turns away from his sins towards Jesus Christ.

Consider that Jesus Christ is holy and righteous; and therefore to turn to Him means to turn to holiness and righteousness; which means to turn away from unholiness and unrighteousness (sin)...see 1 Peter 1:15-16.

Jesus came primarily to save us from our sins (Matthew 1:21) and to redeem us from all iniquity (Titus 2:14). This is called salvation in the Bible (see 2 Thessalonians 2:13).

Because there are three aspects of salvation spoken of in the word:

1) justified: saved from the penalty of sin

2) sanctified: saved from the power of sin'

3) glorified: saved from the presence of sin.

#2) above is salvation...even salvation from the power of sin. We must not downplay the fact that this is a major aspect of salvation and that a man cannot be justified apart from also being sanctified because when the blood is applied it does both things and it cannot very well do one without also doing the other.

BloodBought 1953

Jun 3, 2020
Portsmouth Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Just wanted to say that I made that prayer a long time ago now ("God, be merciful to me, a sinner") and was justified thereby.

If you sincerely prayed that Prayer you are Saved forever....just like me
Your“ Lucky Repentance “ Doctrine Just makes you a man that has ” fallen from Grace”
Guys like me that REST in Paul’s Gospel , given to him by Jesus , have a Reward for obeying God when He warns us not to ADD to His Gospel Of Grace Plus Nothing and to REST in the Finished Work Of The Cross......
I have a peace and a Joy in my life that you will NEVER know.....you got that “ little voice “ in your head that always wonders...” Have I been Good Enough to “ make it” by REPENTING ? I got to sweat it out until the very end! What if I do not have the “ LUCK “ to repent of all of my sins right before I “kick the bucket?”
“ That great prayer I prayed years ago when I asked God to extend His Mercy to me.....all of that Will - Power that I mustered up so that I could refrain from doing all of those that in my heart I really “ wanted” to do......All for naught....it all will come down to me and the Super Memory To Remember and feel Guilt and regret for all of those thousands of Sins that I committed ! That Concept Of God's Grace to Cover all of my sins until I make it Home ? Well all of “that” stuff just kinda went ZOOM—- right over my head !
I think that your Type Of Believer and My Type Of Believer are both Saved.....BECAUSE both groups are “ Believers”....It’s just that MY “Walk Of Faith” Will be one Of Peace and Abundance” .....like Jesus talked about.Those “Fallen from Grace” will have a Worried, stressful Walk.Beggarly.You can have it.
Of course I have heard many Great Bible Teachers say that “ falling from Grace” means you are damned, saying if you TRULY BELIEVED in Jesus , you RESTING or NOT Resting in the Gospel PROVES whether or not you actually Believe . Who knows for sure? Why gamble , though?Pray to God that He show you how to “ enter into His Rest”...... who knows ? You might “ get there” yet!

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think that we are on the same page, actually, BB1953.

I do consider, however, that what it says in Romans 8:13 holds fast to be true; and that if I walk not after the flesh but after the Spirit I will "LIVE".

That this is what it means to be born of God...that I abide in Christ by consistently walking according to the Spirit in my life.

See 1 John 3:6, compare to 1 John 2:17, and you will see what eternal security is all about....that it is not a license to sin but a guarantee that you can walk in holiness for the rest of your life.

I am in agreement with your views on justification (I think); but I would say that the one who doeth the will of God abideth (sinneth not, 1 John 3:6) for ever (1 John 2:17)...and that this speaks of the continued sanctification of the believer as a perpetual thing (see also Hebrews 10:14 (kjv)).

I do not purport and am not purporting that one must walk consistently according to the Spirit in order to be justified...that would be performance-based Christianity.

I would say that a man can have righteousness imputed to him even if he is not circumcised spiritually (Romans 4:11). And I would say that the law, which was 430 years after the promise of the Holy Spirit, cannot make the promise null and void if I were to violate some aspect of the law. The law would not destroy the promise that God has given me of the Holy Spirit.

However, in walking not after the flesh but after the Spirit, the righteousness of the law becomes fulfilled in me (Romans 8:4). It is not that I am saved because of the righteous requirement of the law having been met; but the righteous requirement of the law being worked out practically in my life is an added benefit of the fact that I have been justified by faith.

BloodBought 1953

Jun 3, 2020
Portsmouth Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I am in agreement with your views on justification (I think); but I would say that the one who doeth the will of God abideth (sinneth not, 1 John 3:6) for ever (1 John 2:17)...and that this speaks of the continued sanctification of the believer as a perpetual thing (see also Hebrews 10:14 (kjv)).

The tax collector did no more than to cry out with his Contrite ( Repentant ) Heart...” Lord , have Mercy on me, a sinner”. Jesus said he became “ JUSTIFIED” by that simple act.....that works for me...Give God your Trust and in turn He will give you His Justification....

As far as “abiding” goes......see below...
“ whoever Believes that Jesus is the Son Of God perseveres”. 1 john 5:4

BloodBought 1953

Jun 3, 2020
Portsmouth Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I would say that a man can have righteousness imputed to him even if he is not circumcised spiritually

With all due respect , what you “say” does not count for all of that much around these Forums....we need to see Chapter and Verse....
“ Abraham BELIEVED God and it was Counted unto him as RIGHTEOUSNESS”...... simple as that..

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm going to share a few scriptures on repentance. Acts 5:31

31 Him hath God exalted with his right hand to be a Prince and a Saviour, for to give repentance to Israel, and forgiveness of sins.

Acts 11:18

18 When they heard these things, they held their peace, and glorified God, saying, Then hath God also to the Gentiles granted repentance unto life.

Acts 20:21

21 Testifying both to the Jews, and also to the Greeks, repentance toward God, and faith toward our Lord Jesus Christ.

The greek word for repentance in these verses is metanoia and means:

change of mind, repentance

Usage: repentance, a change of mind, change in the inner man.

Notice also in Acts 5 and Acts 11 the God is said to give or grant this repentance. This repentance towards God is something man doesn't have naturally, it must be furnished by God. Its Gods Gift to His Chosen People.

Your use of the term "Chosen People" sounds like the Calvinist heresy.

Acts 17:30
Truly, these times of ignorance God overlooked, but now commands all men everywhere to repent,

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Your use of the term "Chosen People" sounds like the Calvinist heresy.

Acts 17:30
Truly, these times of ignorance God overlooked, but now commands all men everywhere to repent,
Hi @CharismaticLady The universality of the Gospel command - as you quote from Acts - and the fact that, as Paul says to the Philippians in chapter 2 'it is God that worketh in you both to will and to do of His good pleasure' - can actually go hand in hand; they need not be seen as contradictory.

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi @CharismaticLady The universality of the Gospel command - as you quote from Acts - and the fact that, as Paul says to the Philippians in chapter 2 'it is God that worketh in you both to will and to do of His good pleasure' - can actually go hand in hand; they need not be seen as contradictory.

Do you really believe God chooses some to not repent, or is it not His desire that any should perish?

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Do you really believe God chooses some to not repent, or is it not His desire that any should perish?
I take both those quotes from Acts (which you referred to and the Philippians 2 verse) as containing truth from God; if I can't see it rationally, yet at an eternal level I accept that both are true, whether or not my finite mind can see it.

Reactions: CharismaticLady