Revelation 12

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
The meaning of the name “Michael” may present more evidence as to his identify. I present it here for your consideration.

The name Michael in Hebrew is מִיכָאֵל. Broken apart, we have מִי (pronounced miy) meaning “who,” followed by the conjunction כִּי, and then אֵל (pronounced el) meaning “god.” The Hebrew word מִי is interrogative, so the placement of a question mark is appropriate. Thus the name is quite literally a question, “Who is like God?” It’s Greek equivilant Μιχαήλ apparently means the same thing. Some scholars may interpret the term without the question, in which case it would simply mean “who is like God.”

Names in the bible have significance. Apart from Michael, there is only one other person who said something similar, and it was Lucifer, “I will be like the most high” (Isaiah 14:12-13, 14). Interestingly, a battle ensues between Michael and Satan in Revelation 12. So the one who thinks he is like God, confronts the one whose name means “Who is like God?” Now if the name is a question, the named one is pointing to himself in answer to that question, because we learned above that Michael is always a manifestation of Jesus under this name. If it is not a question, the answer is the same. Only Jesus is Michael, “who is like God.”

WHY USE THE NAME MICHAEL?

The meaning of the name may help us answer this question. Names in the Bible often represent the special characteristic of the person which many times we see connected to an event. Though we don’t always have a clear explanation as to why a particular person may have a specific name, the principle is brought out in 1 Samuel 25:25, where Nabal’s name is the target of Abigail’s explanation that he is a fool: “For as his name is, so is he; Nabal is his name, and folly is with him.” Likewise we see the name of Jacob changed to Israel based on his conversion from being a supplanter to being a prevailer, respectively. God’s special characteristics are also seen when we look at his various names. Jehovah (or YHWH) is his proper name, and it means “to be, to exist, to become” revealing that God is self-existent and disclosing. Here are a few examples of other names attributed to God which also provide for us important details about his character and activities in the lives of his people:

Jehovah-Jireh – Genesis 22:14 – means “The Lord Provides”
Jehovah-Nissi – Exodus 17:15 – means “The Lord is my Banner, Miracle”
Jehovah-Tsidkenu – Jeremiah 23:6 – means “The Lord Our Righteousness”
El Shaddai – Genesis 17:1 – means “Lord God Almighty”
Jehovah-Mekoddishkem – Exodus 31:13 – means “The Lord Who Sanctifies You”
Jehovah-Shalom – Judges 6:24 – means “The Lord is Peace”
We shouldn’t find it strange that Jesus would have other names. After all, isn’t he called “Emmanuel,” which means “God with us” (see Isaiah 7:14, Matthew 1:23)? Isn’t he also prophetically called “David” (compare Jeremiah 30:9, Ezekiel 34:23 with ) We learned that Michael means “Who is like God?” and it seems like every time he appears he is always defending God’s people. Since names usually reveal an individual’s character then it’s plausible that Jesus uses Michael because it, like Emmanuel, reveals who he really is: The Divine Son of God who Protects his People.

I am not presenting this as a doctrine that must be accepted in order to be saved. Nor am I suggesting that a Christian is less or more on the basis of that acceptance or rejection. I am merely showing that it is not necessarily true that Michael is created angel. Having the title 'archangel' does not prove that. There are alternative understandings that are biblical and not the stretch you would imagine them to be.

Jack

May 3, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The meaning of the name “Michael” may present more evidence as to his identify. I present it here for your consideration.

The name Michael in Hebrew is מִיכָאֵל. Broken apart, we have מִי (pronounced miy) meaning “who,” followed by the conjunction כִּי, and then אֵל (pronounced el) meaning “god.” The Hebrew word מִי is interrogative, so the placement of a question mark is appropriate. Thus the name is quite literally a question, “Who is like God?” It’s Greek equivilant Μιχαήλ apparently means the same thing. Some scholars may interpret the term without the question, in which case it would simply mean “who is like God.”

Names in the bible have significance. Apart from Michael, there is only one other person who said something similar, and it was Lucifer, “I will be like the most high” (Isaiah 14:12-13, 14). Interestingly, a battle ensues between Michael and Satan in Revelation 12. So the one who thinks he is like God, confronts the one whose name means “Who is like God?” Now if the name is a question, the named one is pointing to himself in answer to that question, because we learned above that Michael is always a manifestation of Jesus under this name. If it is not a question, the answer is the same. Only Jesus is Michael, “who is like God.”

WHY USE THE NAME MICHAEL?

The meaning of the name may help us answer this question. Names in the Bible often represent the special characteristic of the person which many times we see connected to an event. Though we don’t always have a clear explanation as to why a particular person may have a specific name, the principle is brought out in 1 Samuel 25:25, where Nabal’s name is the target of Abigail’s explanation that he is a fool: “For as his name is, so is he; Nabal is his name, and folly is with him.” Likewise we see the name of Jacob changed to Israel based on his conversion from being a supplanter to being a prevailer, respectively. God’s special characteristics are also seen when we look at his various names. Jehovah (or YHWH) is his proper name, and it means “to be, to exist, to become” revealing that God is self-existent and disclosing. Here are a few examples of other names attributed to God which also provide for us important details about his character and activities in the lives of his people:

Jehovah-Jireh – Genesis 22:14 – means “The Lord Provides”
Jehovah-Nissi – Exodus 17:15 – means “The Lord is my Banner, Miracle”
Jehovah-Tsidkenu – Jeremiah 23:6 – means “The Lord Our Righteousness”
El Shaddai – Genesis 17:1 – means “Lord God Almighty”
Jehovah-Mekoddishkem – Exodus 31:13 – means “The Lord Who Sanctifies You”
Jehovah-Shalom – Judges 6:24 – means “The Lord is Peace”
We shouldn’t find it strange that Jesus would have other names. After all, isn’t he called “Emmanuel,” which means “God with us” (see Isaiah 7:14, Matthew 1:23)? Isn’t he also prophetically called “David” (compare Jeremiah 30:9, Ezekiel 34:23 with ) We learned that Michael means “Who is like God?” and it seems like every time he appears he is always defending God’s people. Since names usually reveal an individual’s character then it’s plausible that Jesus uses Michael because it, like Emmanuel, reveals who he really is: The Divine Son of God who Protects his People.

I am not presenting this as a doctrine that must be accepted in order to be saved. Nor am I suggesting that a Christian is less or more on the basis of that acceptance or rejection. I am merely showing that it is not necessarily true that Michael is created angel. Having the title 'archangel' does not prove that. There are alternative understandings that are biblical and not the stretch you would imagine them to be.
Are you saying Michael is God? Are you saying Jesus isn't God? Please be clear.

Keiw

Jan 17, 2022
upstate NY
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Deceivers? Yep that's the WatchTower. Editing the Truth from their bible.

NWT Heb 1:6 Let all God's angels WORSHIP him!

Michael WORSHIPS Jesus!

Oh yeah, the WatchTower also edited out Peter's statement to Jesus, "Lord you know ALL THINGS"!

Yet, deceivers indeed!

I wonder how soon they will edit out Thomas' statement to Jesus, "My Lord and my GOD"!
Jack, i hate to see it but you will find out the hard way you are wrong. Paul didnt lie-1Cor 8:6-There is one God to all= the Father.

Jack

May 3, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jack, i hate to see it but you will find out the hard way you are wrong. Paul didnt lie-1Cor 8:6-There is one God to all= the Father.
Prove me wrong. WatchTower didn't deceitfully edit out some of the most important doctrines of the Bible? I can prove they did!

Oh and BTW, Paul also said, Col 1 By Him all things were created!

Jesus is God!

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Are you saying Michael is God? Are you saying Jesus isn't God? Please be clear.
I am saying that there is strong evidence...as shown above...that Michael is another name for the Son of God. Jesus was the NT name. Before the incarnation the Son of God I believe was known as Michael.

Jack

May 3, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I am saying that there is strong evidence...as shown above...that Michael is another name for the Son of God. Jesus was the NT name. Before the incarnation the Son of God I believe was known as Michael.
It's a yes or no question. Very simple.

Are you saying Michael is God? Are you saying Jesus isn't God?

Jack

May 3, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If you don't know the answers to those questions from what I have already presented them your reading comprehension skills need an upgrade.
Jesus is God. Michael is an archangel. That's Bible. Any true Christian would be pleased to admit that Jesus is God and Michael is not.

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Who is the Head of the angels, that is, the archangel? Michael, or Jesus? There's only one. Would not the chief of the angels be their Creator? Their Lord? That His name is Michael, 'one like God', doesn't detract from His divinity.

Jack

May 3, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Who is the Head of the angels, that is, the archangel? Michael, or Jesus?
Michael, the "chief angel".
There's only one. Would not the chief of the angels be their Creator? Their Lord? That His name is Michael, 'one like God', doesn't detract from His divinity.
ONLY God is the Creator. So Michael is your God! Well, Jesus is my God the Creator. Michael is BARELY mentioned in the Bible!

Col 1 By Jesus all things were created.

Keiw

Jan 17, 2022
upstate NY
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Prove me wrong. WatchTower didn't deceitfully edit out some of the most important doctrines of the Bible? I can prove they did!

Oh and BTW, Paul also said, Col 1 By Him all things were created!

Jesus is God!
All other things, Jesus is the FIRSTBORN of all creation--Can you understand ALL creation all by yourself--It occurred at the beginning.

Jack

May 3, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
All other things, Jesus is the FIRSTBORN of all creation--Can you understand ALL creation all by yourself--It occurred at the beginning.
Colossians 1:15 (NKJV)
15 He is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn over all creation.

" Prove me wrong. WatchTower didn't deceitfully edit out some of the most important doctrines of the Bible? I can prove they did!"

You're being evasive!

Last edited:

Jack

May 3, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Who is the Head of the angels, that is, the archangel? Michael, or Jesus? There's only one. Would not the chief of the angels be their Creator? Their Lord? That His name is Michael, 'one like God', doesn't detract from His divinity.
The point is, God COMMANDED the angels to WORSHIP Jesus. Jesus is God.