Revelation

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Tex

Jun 29, 2014
Here's my interpretation of the book of Revelation. It's very general, but here's my order. Please debate me, I've never really done that deep of a study on this and would enjoy the instruction.

Revelation 1-3: Greetings to the churches (Preamble)
Rev 4: Throne room of God (isn't a physical place, so the description is analogous)
Rev 5: The Lamb (Christ's fulfillment of the ancient plan of salvation, already happened)
Rev 6: Seven Seals (suffering has been around since fall and will be until the Last Day, not prophesy)
Rev 7: Salvation (included with 6th seal, in accordance with 6th day being man's creation. 144,000 is metaphorical to all those saved, is metaphorical prophesy)
Rev 8&9: Seventh seal, seven trumpets (Seventh seal is all seven trumpets. I have no idea what the large majority of this means. Help me out)
Rev 10: Hidden scroll, eaten scroll (Hidden scroll is revealed by the angel to be Christ, eaten scroll is initially good, but hurts, so I'm guessing that is the Christian life)
Rev 11: The two witnesses (the two testaments of the bible, prophesy, but revolves around Christ's death, so mostly past events)
Rev 12: Woman and Dragon (Jesus' birth, past tense)
Rev 13: Beast 1 and 2 (First beast is a earthly ruler, idk who. Second beast is Nero, as referenced by 666)
Rev 14: Lamb and Messages (The Lamb leads the saved, some eternal messages are given, its the harvest)
Rev 15: 7 Plagues (unlisted plagues, I'm guessing these are past events too)
Rev 16: 7 Bowls (Various plagues, unknown as to what they are about)
Rev 17: Prostitute and the beast (about the present events during John's writing)
Rev 18: Babylon (opposed to the Kingdom of God, it sucks)
Rev 19: Marriage (Last day, not historical)
Rev 20: Thousand years and Judgment (Not historical, a testimony to martyrs, Satan is defeated, saved vs damned)
Rev 21: New Heaven and Earth (New creation, reconcilation)
Rev 22: Eternal life with Jesus (pretty obvious, and Jesus is not the angel btw)

The only chapters that have potential to be prophesy are 8,9,10,16,20,21, and 22. I would say that 20,21, and 22 are prophesy, although general and written elsewhere in non-prophesy form. The other 4 chapters don't seem to be as obviously prophetic, and I don't know if that's how they should be interpreted. Certainly, it shouldn't be interpreted historically because nothing else is historical in the entire book.

But, this is debate thread. DEBATE!!!

And ask me questions on my summaries.

Rocky Wiley

Aug 28, 2012
Southeast USA
Hi Tex,

Prophecy teachers always go to the book of Revelation to expound their theory. This is not to say, as you have, that one can not make comments and ask for other views.

My view is this.

The book of Revelation was written to the seven churches of Asia at the time of the writing. It is not to us, for throughout the book Jesus said "I come quickly"/

It speaks of the new covenant and the doing away with the old.
Rev 21:1 And I saw a new heaven and a new earth: for the first heaven and the first earth were passed away; and there was no more sea.

It speaks of the same things that Daniel spoke of, and he was told to seal up the book.
Dan 12:4 But thou, O Daniel, shut up the words, and seal the book, even to the time of the end: many shall run to and fro, and knowledge shall be increased.

In the book of Revelation it says

Rev 22:10 And he saith unto me, Seal not the sayings of the prophecy of this book: for the time is at hand.

Because the word of God is true, these things have already happened and we just need to look at history for proof. It is mainly documented in the books 'The Wars of the Jews'.

I will continue to track this OP for other opinions.

shturt678s

Apr 16, 2014
Tex said:
Here's my interpretation of the book of Revelation. It's very general, but here's my order. Please debate me, I've never really done that deep of a study on this and would enjoy the instruction.

Rev 4: Throne room of God (isn't a physical place, so the description is analogous)
Rev 5: The Lamb (Christ's fulfillment of the ancient plan of salvation, already happened)
Rev 6: Seven Seals (suffering has been around since fall and will be until the Last Day, not prophesy)
Rev 7: Salvation (included with 6th seal, in accordance with 6th day being man's creation. 144,000 is metaphorical to all those saved, is metaphorical prophesy)
Rev 8&9: Seventh seal, seven trumpets (Seventh seal is all seven trumpets. I have no idea what the large majority of this means. Help me out)
Rev 10: Hidden scroll, eaten scroll (Hidden scroll is revealed by the angel to be Christ, eaten scroll is initially good, but hurts, so I'm guessing that is the Christian life)
Rev 11: The two witnesses (the two testaments of the bible, prophesy, but revolves around Christ's death, so mostly past events)
Rev 12: Woman and Dragon (Jesus' birth, past tense)
Rev 13: Beast 1 and 2 (First beast is a earthly ruler, idk who. Second beast is Nero, as referenced by 666)
Rev 14: Lamb and Messages (The Lamb leads the saved, some eternal messages are given, its the harvest)
Rev 15: 7 Plagues (unlisted plagues, I'm guessing these are past events too)
Rev 16: 7 Bowls (Various plagues, unknown as to what they are about)
Rev 17: Prostitute and the beast (about the present events during John's writing)
Rev 19: Marriage (Last day, not historical)
Rev 20: Thousand years and Judgment (Not historical, a testimony to martyrs, Satan is defeated, saved vs damned)
Rev 22: Eternal life with Jesus (pretty obvious, and Jesus is not the angel btw)

The only chapters that have potential to be prophesy are 8,9,10,16,20,21, and 22. I would say that 20,21, and 22 are prophesy, although general and written elsewhere in non-prophesy form. The other 4 chapters don't seem to be as obviously prophetic, and I don't know if that's how they should be interpreted. Certainly, it shouldn't be interpreted historically because nothing else is historical in the entire book.

Thank you for going the mile and really caring!

Do yourself a favor, you don't want to know what the 5th and 6th Trumpets mean in the truthful direction hence let this go focusing on Rev.4:2 & 6:2 then Rev.20.

Only old Jack's opinion

btw God's rule, power, and dominion already came to pass in Rev.5?

Tex

Jun 29, 2014
@ Jack

Yes, victory is already had. Christ is the firstfruits, and we too will be like Him. Rev.5 has already happened.

Wormwood

Chaps
Apr 9, 2013
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Tex,

Allow me to explain the book of Revelation to you in this brief post...

I'm kidding. Huge volumes have been written on this so its very difficult to summarize. However, I will give a few thoughts on some of your points.

I think Rev. 5 sets the stage for the entire book that is addressed to suffering churches who are wrestling with temptation and compromise. Because of Christ's work, the plans and purposes of God for man can be opened up. The rest of the book, I believe, explains this purpose of God for his people (the Church).

Much of understanding Revelation comes from understanding the OT. In my estimation, much of Revelation has NOT fully taken place yet. This does not mean the book is full of predictions. Rather, the book looks backwards to the OT and displays how God's deliverance of his people (the Church) will mirror the deliverances seen with Israel in the past. Although it seems clear that much of the battles taking place in Revelation are more spiritual in nature rather than vs. physical nations (although nations are being used by the beast and false prophet in an attempt to destroy the people of God).

So, we see plagues taking place in Revelation that mirror the God's great deliverance of Israel from captivity in Egypt. Also we see the destruction of Babylon the Great which mirrors God's great deliverance of Israel from Babylon. So too, Christians are in a spiritual battle that causes empires, rulers and false religions to strive to force them into compromise and kill them for their allegiance to Christ. The book is a call for Christians to "be faithful, even to death" just as God's people in the past were patient and faithful in the midst of the plagues and sufferings in captivity as they awaited God's glorious deliverance.

So, while there may be debate about details and the meanings of various images, I think this is the overall thrust of the book. When it is understood this way, it can be rightly understood both as a powerful encouragement to the churches of the first century as well any Christian throughout history who is a sojourner in this world and faces suffering and abuse for their allegiance to Christ in a world that is manipulated by the dragon.

Reactions: Shirley and Tex

Tex

Jun 29, 2014
@ Wormwood

That is not a bad interpretation at all. I learned a good deal from your brief post; thank you.

heretoeternity

Oct 11, 2014
Asia/Pacific
Revelation 17 reveals a beast power, and the false prophet..who is it? read carefully the description...the harlot adorned with jewels and gold, sits on seven hills? Sounds like Rome to me..the mother of harlots..the little harlots seem to be the protestant churches which sprang up from the Roman church...the seven heads and ten horns on the beast..the Bible says the seven heads are the seven hills..the woman sits on (woman meaning church)the ten horns seem to refer to the holy roman empire which promises to be revived again..anyway that seems to be part of the puzzle..a very important part of the puzzle is Rev 12...God protects His church (people)..those who have the testimony of Jesus, and follow His commandments"..then Rev 22..Jesus says "Behold I come quickly and my reward is with me for every man according to his works".....bottom line..follow the teachings of Jesus in the Gospels..Matthew, Mark, Luke and John....these are the basis of the New Covenant..and be able to distinguish between the false christian religion Rev 17 and the true Christianity!

Rocky Wiley

Aug 28, 2012
Southeast USA
Tex said:

So much of Revelation is symbolic and much unclear, but here goes some.

Not symbolic, actually written to the seven existing churches of John's time.

The throne sits in the throne room, that would be heaven. "Heaven is my throne, earth is my footstool"

Bible many times refers to Jerusalem as the whorer.

Also refers to Jerusalem.

New covenant.

All has been fulfilled, or Jesus was in error when he told his disciples, scribes, and Pharisees that he would come in their generation.