righteousness

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Ernest T. Bass

Jan 14, 2014
out in the woods
You are close....but in Acts 10:35 Peter is not talking about God's righteousness....but only what God sees as righteous in people that don't even know Him.

Peace

Hi,

Acts 10:35 "but in every nation he that feareth Him, and worketh righteousness, is acceptable to Him."

I would have to disagree with your statement above. There is no righteousness - justification in those that know not God, they are seen by God as unrighteous, lost 2 Thessalonians 1:8.

If "righteousness" in Acts 10:35 does not refer to God's righteous commands (Psalms 119:172) then whose righteous commands does one obey in order to be accepted with God?

In the context, Cornelius was already a devout, God fearing man, gave much alms, prayed to God alway and is said to be "righteous" (Acts 10:22). Cornelius was 'righteous' in the sense that he did what was right and just with his fellow man yet he was still lost (not accepted with God) for he had not obeyed God's righteousness.

--Since all God's commandments are righteous (Psalms 119:172)
--and God commanded Cornelius to be baptized (Acts 10:48)
--then Cornelius worked God's righteousness when he submitted to God's command to be baptized for remission of his sin (then accepted with God, justified)

I know of no case in the Bible of one being accepted with God (that is, seen by God as righteous, justified) until that person first obeyed God's righteous commands.

Those Jews in Romans 10:3 who were lost, were lost for they had not obeyed God's righteousness in believing with the heart and confessing with the mouth Romans 10:9-10, had not obeyed God's gospel Romans 10:16. Doing good works will not get anyone accepted with God. Not until one obeys God's commands (does God's righteousness - belief, repentance, confession, baptism) can one be saved (accepted with God).

1 John 3:10 whosoever continues to not do righteousness continues to not be of God (not accepted with God)

Last edited:

Ezra

Dec 27, 2018
Missouri
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
hey i am more than aware what james has to say... but what you NEED TO REALIZE is your not the Holy Ghost . if i had been in %100 error sunday morn then i would stand in judgement .not you.. i do lots research on the subjects i have them follow me in the bible .. in the words of a old song hank j.r sang back in my old days.. if you dont mind thank you. curious you ever read what paul wrote about a busy body ?

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Hi,

Acts 10:35 "but in every nation he that feareth Him, and worketh righteousness, is acceptable to Him."

I would have to disagree with your statement above. There is no righteousness - justification in those that know not God, they are seen by God as unrighteous, lost 2 Thessalonians 1:8.

If "righteousness" in Acts 10:35 does not refer to God's righteous commands (Psalms 119:172) then whose righteous commands does one obey in order to be accepted with God?

Jesus spoke of the Publican who was justified because he recognized his own unworthiness...which was righteousness in God's eyes. He also spoke of the Samaritan who loved his neighbour.

Now you aren't going to tell me that only Christians love their neighbour.

Loving your neighbour is the minimum standard of righteousness and salvation.

The parable of the 2 sons illustrates that often it isn't the believer that is justified but the believer OR unbeliever who actually obeys the commands of God that is justified.

We are justified for our actions NOT our beliefs.
I know of no case in the Bible of one being accepted with God (that is, seen by God as righteous, justified) until that person first obeyed God's righteous commands.

Exactly! So then if a person helps a believer without knowing Jesus...then he is seen as righteous by God. Look at the sheep/goat judgment of Mat. 25. This shows unbelievers who encountered the brethren of Christ....and treated them as they would themselves.
There is zero mention of beliefs...just behaviour and attitude. And that is the way God judges.

I know I'm asking a lot of you to consider these things...but THAT is the way of God. God is NOT religious at all...but we are.

Last edited:
Reactions: faithfulness

Ezra

Dec 27, 2018
Missouri
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
our true righteousness comes from Christ through the Holy spirit john 15 abide in me/ w/o me ( Christ) you can do nothing.. we can do righteous works if motivated led of God then it is true righteousness . any thing w/o us filthy rags

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
our true righteousness comes from Christ through the Holy spirit john 15 abide in me/ w/o me ( Christ) you can do nothing.. we can do righteous works if motivated led of God then it is true righteousness . any thing w/o us filthy rags

In comparison to God...yes. But how many do these filthy works and say that they are in Christ while they are doing them?

The problem with the filthy rags comparison is that most moderns think that the righteousness of God is no different than their own filthy works...these espouse a sinful holiness.

So they impute a sinful righteousness on themselves claiming it to be God's own righteousness.

Ezra

Dec 27, 2018
Missouri
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In comparison to God...yes. But how many do these filthy works and say that they are in Christ while they are doing them?

The problem with the filthy rags comparison is that most moderns think that the righteousness of God is no different than their own filthy works...these espouse a sinful holiness.

So they impute a sinful righteousness on themselves claiming it to be God's own righteousness.
i cant help nor can you help what folks think . as i told the church sunday morning your righteousness does not come from attending church or carrying a Bible .granted the two together being a doer of the word can help . Christians want to pull there glasses down at the end of their . when a doctrine belief dont line up with theres and say well i never . the baptist look at the pentc and pentc look at the baptist . some think staying at home studying the word is the only way. some think non denom makes you closer to Jesus and it never ends .i have seen and heard many things in my 25 years of ministry

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Romans 4:3-8, quoting Genesis 15:6 & Psalms 32:1-2. 'For what does the Scripture say? "Abraham believed God and it was accounted to him for righteousness." Now to him who works, the wages are not accounted as grace but as debt. Bu to him who does not work but believes on him who justifies the ungodly, his faith is accounted for righteousness, just as David also describes the blessedness of the man to whom God imputes righteousness apart from works: "Blessed are those whose lawless deeds are forgiven, and whose sins are covered; blessed is the man to whom the LORD shall not impute iniquity."'

So to have your sins covered is to have them forgiven and means that sin will not be imputed to you, but you will be accounted righteous. Isn't it all wonderful? :)

No time for the rest of your post just now. I will come back to it as I have time and energy.

Oh my! It is a quote of a Psalm from the Old Testament when sins were only covered and not yet taken away by Christ. Chapters 1 through 7 is Paul's extensive teaching about sin and the Old Testament LAW. Romans 6 and Romans 8 are about the difference in the New Covenant where we are dead to sin and no longer in the carnal flesh, but in the Spirit which makes us free from the LAW. You do know that we are in the "NEW" Covenant now don't you???

Last edited:
Reactions: Grailhunter

Ezra

Dec 27, 2018
Missouri
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Christian life is not our living a life like Christ, or our trying to be Christ-like, nor is it Christ giving us the power to live a life like His; but it is Christ Himself living His own life through us; 'no longer I, but Christ.

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Christian life is not our living a life like Christ, or our trying to be Christ-like, nor is it Christ giving us the power to live a life like His; but it is Christ Himself living His own life through us; 'no longer I, but Christ.
That is some circle talk for ya. I categorically disagree with you, but I will let the scriptures speak the truth.

1st Corinthians 11:1
Be imitators of me, just as I also am of Christ.

1st Peter 2:21
For you have been called for this purpose, since Christ also suffered for you, leaving you an example for you to follow in His steps,

2nd Corinthians
But we all, with unveiled face, beholding as in a mirror the glory of the Lord, are being transformed into the same image from glory to glory, just as from the Lord, the Spirit.

Philippians 2:3-8
Do nothing from selfishness or empty conceit, but with humility of mind regard one another as more important than yourselves; do not merely look out for your own personal interests, but also for the interests of others. Have this attitude in yourselves which was also in Christ Jesus,

John 13:12-15
So when He had washed their feet, and taken His garments and reclined at the table again, He said to them, "Do you know what I have done to you? "You call Me Teacher and Lord; and you are right, for so I am. "If I then, the Lord and the Teacher, washed your feet, you also ought to wash one another's feet.

1st John 2:6
the one who says he abides in Him ought himself to walk in the same manner as He walked.

For me, I walk with Christ, He is my example and the example of Christian life. How else should it be?

Ezra

Dec 27, 2018
Missouri
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That is some circle talk for ya. I categorically disagree with you, but I will let the scriptures speak the truth.
and so am i suppose to be impressed ? GALATIANS 2:20 paul write Christ in me the Hope of Glory . i ddint post it for a popularity contest

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
and so am i suppose to be impressed ? GALATIANS 2:20 paul write Christ in me the Hope of Glory . i ddint post it for a popularity contest
Sometimes the truth is popular and sometimes it is not. But what you said in not true and does not make sense.

Ezra

Dec 27, 2018
Missouri
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
But what you said in not true and does not make sense.
,meaning because its not your truth I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me.

gosh i hate not knowing scripture .. what it really boils down to it is mind over matter never you mind it really doesn't matter . feel free to post on the subject i am done and dusting my sandals off at you

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I know that the Lord ministered to me concerning the fact that I myself had stumbled at that stumblingstone, attempting to achieve righteousness by the law..and that in this I was not submitting to the righteousness of God but was attempting to establish my own righteousness.

I can only pray that others will be able to come to the same revelation that I did.

I may be out of my league in any attempt to argue my point here...but I am going to pray that the readers will study these passages (Romans 9:30-10:4) until they come to the knowledge of the truth concerning them.

Suffice it to say that I disagree with @Episkopos.

re #99.

Last edited:

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The parable of the 2 sons illustrates that often it isn't the believer that is justified but the believer OR unbeliever who actually obeys the commands of God that is justified.

We are justified by grace, Romans 3:24, because of faith in Jesus' blood, Romans 3:25.

Jesus said, I am the way and the truth and the life; no one cometh to the Father, except through me.

Exactly! So then if a person helps a believer without knowing Jesus...then he is seen as righteous by God.

However, his righteousness is as filthy rags...Isaiah 64:6...whereas the righteousness of faith is fine linen, clean and white (Revelation 19:8).

I am saying that the righteousness of an unbeliever is not going to cut it to get them into heaven...for they don't measure up. For the believer, the righteousness of Christ is first imputed and then imparted...this is a perfect righteousness.

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
hey i am more than aware what james has to say... but what you NEED TO REALIZE is your not the Holy Ghost . if i had been in %100 error sunday morn then i would stand in judgement .not you.. i do lots research on the subjects i have them follow me in the bible .. in the words of a old song hank j.r sang back in my old days.. if you dont mind thank you. curious you ever read what paul wrote about a busy body ?
I know that I am not the Holy Ghost (and neither are you)...but that the Holy Ghost dwells within me. And if He prompted me to say what I said to you, then I have not stepped out of bounds.

Last edited:

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
We are justified by grace, Romans 3:24, because of faith in Jesus' blood, Romans 3:25.

Jesus said, I am the way and the truth and the life; no one cometh to the Father, except through me.

However, his righteousness is as filthy rags...Isaiah 64:6...whereas the righteousness of faith is fine linen, clean and white (Revelation 19:8).

I am saying that the righteousness of an unbeliever is not going to cut it to get them into heaven...for they don't measure up. For the believer, the righteousness of Christ is first imputed and then imparted...this is a perfect righteousness.
I can't show you how you are confusing God and men. It is so obvious to me...but it seems that others can't tell the difference. I'm amazed at this.

People can be justified by either works or faith...human works or human faith. Of course neither can be used to justify themselves by these....either their works OR their faith. The error of the Pharisees is the same as modern believers so often. They justify themselves. The first by their human works and the latter by their human beliefs. One is as the other....no difference to God. So then you don't know if you will be justified or not based on what you did or what you believed. Only God can justify. The beliefs of many believers are just filthy rags too. They are of the flesh. A belief ABOUT God.

So that is error one.

Then there is the faith OF Christ...we receive by entering into Christ where we take on His power, righteousness and holiness. This is the divine grace offered to us...which is by the power of God. The fine linen is THAT kind of righteousness on us that transforms our character so that Christ be formed in us. Then that righteousness can be said to have been worked into us.

But I can't make you see that there is a difference between what men can do and what God can do.

Last edited:

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Modern evangelical doctrine is so muddled that it is not just a question of getting the cart before the horse it is about not knowing if the cart is in the horse or on the horse or if the horse is on the cart or in the cart or à la carte.

Ernest T. Bass

Jan 14, 2014
out in the woods
Jesus spoke of the Publican who was justified because he recognized his own unworthiness...which was righteousness in God's eyes. He also spoke of the Samaritan who loved his neighbour.

Now you aren't going to tell me that only Christians love their neighbour.

Loving your neighbour is the minimum standard of righteousness and salvation.

---The Publican is not an example of NT salvation and how men today come into a covenant relationship to God.

---a sinner can love his neighbor but that will not save him. Not until the sinner obeys God's righteousness, obey God's commands to believe, repent confess and be baptized can that sinner be saved.

Episkopos said:

Exactly! So then if a person helps a believer without knowing Jesus...then he is seen as righteous by God. Look at the sheep/goat judgment of Mat. 25. This shows unbelievers who encountered the brethren of Christ....and treated them as they would themselves.
There is zero mention of beliefs...just behaviour and attitude. And that is the way God judges.

I know I'm asking a lot of you to consider these things...but THAT is the way of God. God is NOT religious at all...but we are.

I know of no example in the Bible of an unbeliever obeying God's commands. Unbelief itself is disobedience to God.

I agree we are justified for our action of obedience to God's will and belief is an action, an obedient work, John 6:27-29. The actions one takes depends on one's belief or lack thereof. If one does not believe he will not, cannot obey God and be saved.

But my point in my first post in this thread is:
--that righteousness is something DONE, an action in obeying God's will and not a mere mental assent of the mind.
--that no one was ever seen as righteous by God BEFORE that person obeyed God's will.
--that there is a difference between one doing his OWN righteousness that does not save and doing GOD'S righteousness that does save.."obedience unto righteousness" Romans 6:16. Faith only proponents do not want to see this difference.

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I know of no example in the Bible of an unbeliever obeying God's commands.

The Good Samaritan may be an example. (as he represents those who are outside of the realm of orthodox faith).

--that righteousness is something DONE, an action in obeying God's will and not a mere mental assent of the mind.

Faith has to do with mental assent; but is not complete until it is of the heart: and such a faith is always unto righteousness (Romans 10:10)...righteous living is the result of a living and saving faith in Jesus Christ...but the righteous living itself is not the same thing as faith. The faith is not something done, it is something believed; but it normally results in righteousness that is done (John 19:30).

--that there is a difference between one doing his OWN righteousness that does not save and doing GOD'S righteousness that does save.."obedience unto righteousness" Romans 6:16. Faith only proponents do not want to see this difference.

In Romans 6:16 it is talking about practical righteousness as opposed to the imputed kind. God's righteousness is imputed to us and then imparted. We must rightly divide the word. Paul is saying in Romans 6:16 that there is a practicality to righteousness; that it is not imputed only. But he is not saying that righteousness does not come to us through faith; for he is clear in other Bible passages that righteousness does indeed come through faith.