righteousness

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Steve Owen

Oct 13, 2019
Exmouth UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
So you believe it is 1 John 3:9 that must change. Interesting. But there is a simpler answer than corrupting the clear meaning, but you have to know who is writing this, and in this case it is a Jew - John. When you understand Semitic writing styles in advanced studies, you immediately recognize that 1 John 1 has a list of contrasts. Has anyone asked themselves why 1 John 1:8 and 1 John 1:10 are not together? Wouldn't they both need to have 1 John 1:9 as the answer? A Greek would have combined them. But, again, John's a Hebrew. The solution is in the third odd ball, 1 John 1:6 - darkness, which would also need verse 9 as the answer to the darkness. Now we can recognize that 6, 8 and 10 are all darkness contrasting with the light verses. Does a Christian continually walk in darkness? Of course not, they are lying to themselves and need to repent, and just as in 8 and 10 there is no truth in them. In other words, they do not belong to Christ (Romans 8:9).

1 John 1:5-10 is a list of contrasts. Light vs. Darkness. John does the same thing in chapter 3, those of Jesus vs. those of the devil. Though the man-made verse numbering didn't recognize the style and made it harder to see; but chapter one is very clear, as each verse is either of light or of darkness.

6 7 8 9 10

5 This is the message which we have heard from Him and declare to you, that God is light and in Him is no darkness at all. 6 If we say that we have fellowship with Him, and walk in darkness, we lie and do not practice the truth. 7 But if we walk in the light as He is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus Christ His Son cleanses us from all sin. 8 If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us. 9 If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. 10 If we say that we have not sinned, we make Him a liar, and His word is not in us.
I'm not sure what you're trying to prove with this stuff which is pretty basic and found in several commentaries. It does not alter the fact that 1 John 1:8-10 is in the Bible. Note that John uses the 1st Person Plural, 'We.' John is including himself with his readers. If John and his readers say that they have no sin, they are deceiving themselves. Therefore they confess their sins and are forgiven. If they were to suggest that they had not sinned, they would be making God out to be a liar. Was John a liar? If he wasn't he had sins that he needed to confess.

The fact that the Present Tense in Greek denotes continuity is also pretty basic and is found in any Greek grammar, and in every commentary on 1 John that I possess. To continue in a sin is to be walking in darkness, so we need to be confessing our sins and to be putting them to death (Colossians 3:5). However, we will never be rid of them (cf. Romans 7:22-23; Galatians 5:17), which is why we need to be constantly confessing them, and if you are not confessing your sins because you think you don't have any, well........just read 1 John 1:8-10 again, particularly noting the portions that you have underlined.

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
appreciate all replies ..i preached on righteousness this morning what was given to me.. know some of you can hash out of we can sin or not after being saved . i have no more need chase wild rabbits

You are welcome. I was curious to know what you thought of my post : ) I hope it didn't come off like another wild rabbit chase.

Hope your message went well, and blessings in Christ.
Hidden

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm not sure what you're trying to prove with this stuff which is pretty basic and found in several commentaries. It does not alter the fact that 1 John 1:8-10 is in the Bible. Note that John uses the 1st Person Plural, 'We.' John is including himself with his readers. If John and his readers say that they have no sin, they are deceiving themselves. Therefore they confess their sins and are forgiven. If they were to suggest that they had not sinned, they would be making God out to be a liar. Was John a liar? If he wasn't he had sins that he needed to confess.

The fact that the Present Tense in Greek denotes continuity is also pretty basic and is found in any Greek grammar, and in every commentary on 1 John that I possess. To continue in a sin is to be walking in darkness, so we need to be confessing our sins and to be putting them to death (Colossians 3:5). However, we will never be rid of them (cf. Romans 7:22-23; Galatians 5:17), which is why we need to be constantly confessing them, and if you are not confessing your sins because you think you don't have any, well........just read 1 John 1:8-10 again, particularly noting the portions that you have underlined.

Yes, WE must all test ourselves to see if we are of God. It is a teaching. Of course 1 John 1:8-10 is in the Bible, but so is 1 John 1:6 the key to unlocking the truth that 8 and 10 are before conversion. Verse 9 is how to become a Christian. Ever since Adam sinned, we are all born with a sin nature (except Christ because He was born from the seed of God 1 John 3:9). Confessing our sins after coversion? Don't you know we have been given power to no longer commit sins of lawlessness? Why sin if you don't have to. 1 John 1:9 is the same as Acts 2:38. It is to receive the powerful Holy Spirit, the gift of Jesus to take away all desire to sin. He who still sins is a slave to sin. Romans 6 and John 8:34-36 and 1 John 3. To enter heaven we must already be righteous or holy. And that doesn't mean the false teaching of an invisibility cloak of the blood of Jesus covering our sin while we continue to sin underneath. We must have the Holy Spirit in us working through us to perfection. Revelation 22:11

Reactions: Grailhunter

Steve Owen

Oct 13, 2019
Exmouth UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Yes, WE must all test ourselves to see if we are of God. It is a teaching. Of course 1 John 1:8-10 is in the Bible, but so is 1 John 1:6 the key to unlocking the truth that 8 and 10 are before conversion.
This is just wrong. The whole passage is written in the Present Tense. He's not saying, "If we used to say that we had no sin we would have been deceiving ourselves and the truth would not have been in us," which is what you're trying to make him say, but the grammar of the text won't let you do it.

Your own righteousness is filthy rags before God (Isaiah 64:6), quite unable to cover up your sin. You cannot stand before God dressed in that.

'......That I may gain Christ, and be found in Him, not having my own righteousness, which is from the law, but that which is through faith in Christ, the righteousness which is from God by faith............Not that I have already attained, or am already perfected, but I press on, that I may lay hold of that for which Christ Jesus has also laid hold of me..........' (Philippians 3:8-12).

'I will greatly rejoice in the LORD,
My soul shall be joyful in my God;
For He has clothed me with the garments of salvation,
He has covered me with the robe of righteousness.....'
(Isaiah 61:10).

The very first couple, when they fell into sin, needed a covering for that sin. The covering that they made themselves was totally unsuitable; God could see right through it to the sin beneath (Genesis 3:7ff). It was God Himself who supplied a covering for the guilty couple, and for that, and innocent creature had to die (Genesis 3:21), prefiguring the suffering and death of the Lord Jesus Christ to provide us with a suitable covering.

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
good post hope to see more construtive replies
Why do we try to make things more complicated than they are?

God first declares us righteous (imputed righteousness), and then works out His righteousness in us by the power of the Holy Spirit. That is called walking in the Spirit.

This does not mean that anyone will be sinlessly perfect (as some deluded, self-deceived individuals claim). It does mean that sin must not and cannot have dominion over righteousness for those who are genuinely saved.

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Why do we try to make things more complicated than they are?

God first declares us righteous (imputed righteousness), and then works out His righteousness in us by the power of the Holy Spirit. That is called walking in the Spirit.

This does not mean that anyone will be sinlessly perfect (as some deluded, self-deceived individuals claim). It does mean that sin must not and cannot have dominion over righteousness for those who are genuinely saved.

Actually why get Jesus involved right? You can do all that you stated on your own...that's why you believe in it....God's not in it. No miraculous power, no grace....just self-effort. As if God is powerless over sin. So then if you sin...God's NOT in it.

Why make things more truthful than they are?

God only imputes righteousness to they who act righteously. There is no pretend righteousness.

When we enter into Christ we take on His UN-SINFUL life and righteousness...in HIS holiness. No one can sin and claim to be God's righteousness. But many falsely claim to sin IN Christ's righteousness...which isn't possible because in Him is NO sin!

So then they who don't believe in that salvation and DENY His power over sin are yet unbelievers. We need to avoid these people as the bible states. Having an outward form of godliness (like Pharisees) but who deny God's power. (grace)

Reactions: faithfulness

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
This is just wrong. The whole passage is written in the Present Tense. He's not saying, "If we used to say that we had no sin we would have been deceiving ourselves and the truth would not have been in us," which is what you're trying to make him say, but the grammar of the text won't let you do it.

Your own righteousness is filthy rags before God (Isaiah 64:6), quite unable to cover up your sin. You cannot stand before God dressed in that.

'......That I may gain Christ, and be found in Him, not having my own righteousness, which is from the law, but that which is through faith in Christ, the righteousness which is from God by faith............Not that I have already attained, or am already perfected, but I press on, that I may lay hold of that for which Christ Jesus has also laid hold of me..........' (Philippians 3:8-12).

'I will greatly rejoice in the LORD,
My soul shall be joyful in my God;
For He has clothed me with the garments of salvation,
He has covered me with the robe of righteousness.....'
(Isaiah 61:10).

The very first couple, when they fell into sin, needed a covering for that sin. The covering that they made themselves was totally unsuitable; God could see right through it to the sin beneath (Genesis 3:7ff). It was God Himself who supplied a covering for the guilty couple, and for that, and innocent creature had to die (Genesis 3:21), prefiguring the suffering and death of the Lord Jesus Christ to provide us with a suitable covering.

Nonsense. How can WE be the righteousness of God in Him if we sin? In Him is no sin.

Reactions: faithfulness

Ezra

Dec 27, 2018
Missouri
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You are welcome. I was curious to know what you thought of my post : ) I hope it didn't come off like another wild rabbit chase.

Hope your message went well, and blessings in Christ.
Hidden
lol i done forgot your post

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It was God Himself who supplied a covering for the guilty couple, and for that, and innocent creature had to die (Genesis 3:21), prefiguring the suffering and death of the Lord Jesus Christ to provide us with a suitable covering.

Believe what you like. It is your life.

But, for you to say "covering" instead of "take away" is a sure sign you believe the false teaching, even morphing God's clothing for a covering for Adam and Eve to be sufficient to cover their sin. Wrong. That is comparable only to the blood of bulls and goats if it applies at all. And just as with the OT sacrifices, their sin was still there. And that is what you believe also with the blood of Jesus! That the sins are only covered, not taken away! What a heresy.

Hebrews 10:4 "4 For it is not possible that the blood of bulls and goats could take away sins.

1 John 3:5 "5 And you know that He was manifested to take away our sins, and in Him there is no sin.

1 John 3:9 "Whoever has been born of God does not sin, for His seed remains in him; and he cannot sin, because he has been born of God."
Of course, that is the verse you tried to change.

You mentioned commentaries, but not what they say? Need to know whose commentary you are reading instead of the Word of God.

Last edited:
Reactions: Grailhunter

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Believe what you like. It is your life.

But, for you to say "covering" instead of "take away" is a sure sign you believe the false teaching, even morphing God's clothing for a covering for Adam and Eve to be sufficient to cover their sin. Wrong. That is comparable only to the blood of bulls and goats if it applies at all. And just as with the OT sacrifices, their sin was still there. And that is what you believe also with the blood of Jesus! That the sins are only covered, not taken away! What a heresy.

Hebrews 10:4 "4 For it is not possible that the blood of bulls and goats could take away sins.

1 John 3:5 "5 And you know that He was manifested to take away our sins, and in Him there is no sin.

1 John 3:9 "Whoever has been born of God does not sin, for His seed remains in him; and he cannot sin, because he has been born of God."
Of course, that is the verse you tried to change.

You mentioned commentaries, but not what they say? Need to know whose commentary you are reading instead of the Word of God.
Apples and oranges discuss steak....the meat of the matter will evade them. Credit to you that you have the patience. Sad for Christians that they think a God was nailed to a piece of wood, and the best He could do was produce such shaky and unsure salvation. Good to know the truth, pray for those that do not. Good that we have confidence in Christ's saving grace.

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Romans 4:15 “for the Law brings about wrath, but where there is no law, neither is there violation.”

1st John 3:9 “No one who is born of God practices sin, because His seed abides in him; and he cannot sin, because he is born of God.”

1st John 5:18 “We know of no one that is born of God sins; but he who was born of God keeps him and the evil one does not touch him.”

Romans 4:7&8 “Blessed are those whose lawless deeds have been forgiven, and whose sins have been covered. Blessed is the man whose sin the Lord will not take into account.”

Romans 5:13 “For until the Law sin was in the world; sin is not imputed when there is no Law.”

This one is important but long, basically chapter 6. Romans 6:1 “What shall we say then? Are we to continue in sin that grace might increase? May it never be! How shall we who died in sin still live in it? Or do you not know that all of us who have been baptized into Christ Jesus have been baptized into His death? Therefore we have been buried with Him through baptism into death, in order that as Christ was raised from the dead through the glory of the Father, so we too might walk in the newness of life. For if we have become united with Him in the likeness of His death, certainly we shall be also in the likeness of His resurrection, knowing this, that our old self was crucified with Him, that our body of sin might be done away with, that we should no longer be slaves to sin; for he who has died is freed from sin…….10 & 11 “For the death that He died, He did to sin once for all; but the life that He lives, He lives to God. Even so consider yourselves to be dead to sin, but alive to God in Jesus Christ. 14 “For sin shall not be master over you, for you are not under the law, but under grace” 18 “Being then free from sin, you become the servants of righteousness.”

Romans 7:8 “But sin, taking opportunity through the commandment, produced in me coveting of every kind; for apart from the Law sin is dead.”

Romans 8:2 “For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus hath me free from the law of sin and death.”

2nd Corinthians 5:21 “He made Him that knew no sin to be sin on our behalf, that we might become the righteousness of God in Him”

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Was John a liar? If he wasn't he had sins that he needed to confess.

He may have indeed confessed all of them. But if he did, he would not have known his own soul, that it was without sin (1 John 1:7, Psalms 51:7, Job 9:21) and therefore would have never proclaimed it as a reality. See also John 9:41, Isaiah 42:19.

Job 9:21, Though I were perfect, yet would I not know my soul: I would despise my life.

Jhn 9:41, Jesus said unto them, If ye were blind, ye should have no sin: but now ye say, We see; therefore your sin remaineth.

Isa 42:19, Who is blind, but my servant? or deaf, as my messenger that I sent? who is blind as he that is perfect, and blind as the LORD'S servant?

This does not mean that anyone will be sinlessly perfect (as some deluded, self-deceived individuals claim).

Nevertheless, we can be righteous even as Christ is righteous (1 John 3:7), pure even as He is pure (1 John 3:3), and walk even as He walked (1 John 2:6).

btw, "sinless perfection" is a misnomer that creates a straw-man argument, easily toppled by 1 John 1:8.

The real name for what we are preaching is entire sanctification (1 Thessalonians 5:23-24). In it, sin is not eradicated from the system, so that we can say that we have no sin. Instead, it is rendered dead (Galatians 5:24, Romans 6:6, Romans 7:8) so that it has no say or authority over our behaviour or what we do.

Last edited:
Reactions: Episkopos