Romans 8

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So what determines how we think? Our environment has the biggest say in this, as far as I can see. I am talking about who our parents are, when and where we are born, who our associates are, etc.

Hi FHII,

Acts 17:24-28
God that made the world and all things therein, seeing that he is Lord of heaven and earth, dwelleth not in temples made with hands; Neither is worshipped with men's hands, as though he needed any thing, seeing he giveth to all life, and breath, and all things; And hath made of one blood all nations of men for to dwell on all the face of the earth, and hath determined the times before appointed, and the bounds of their habitation; That they should seek the Lord, if haply they might feel after him, and find him, though he be not far from every one of us: For in him we live, and move, and have our being; as certain also of your own poets have said, For we are also his offspring.

Simply stated, God chose when and where we would live, so that we would look for Him.

None of this would make sense if He had predestined us to be saved.

Much love!
mark

Reactions: FHII

SovereignGrace

Certified Flunky
Feb 15, 2019
Crum, WVa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
They cannot see that about all they talk about is themselves, how they chose, how they loved God while lost &c &c &c. And they're ticked off at us for, um, giving God all the glory. All their retorts counter this, are opposed to him receiving all the glory. Watch, nearly every response of theirs does this.
Exactly. The sole reason why we love God is because He first loved us. They conflate this to mean He loves everybody w/o exception. So, by implication He chose everyone. If He has chosen everybody w/o exception, then everybody w/o exception is saved. But they’ll say ‘nuh uh’, but they must also choose Him, and if they don’t choose Him, then they will remain lost, but God tried so hard to save them. Then the cross becomes worthless to them, because the power is taken off of the cross and placed in their ability, or inability to choose. Their will(free will) is their god. Sadly, they can not and/or will not see this. :(

SovereignGrace

Certified Flunky
Feb 15, 2019
Crum, WVa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi FHII,

God that made the world and all things therein, seeing that he is Lord of heaven and earth, dwelleth not in temples made with hands; Neither is worshipped with men's hands, as though he needed any thing, seeing he giveth to all life, and breath, and all things; And hath made of one blood all nations of men for to dwell on all the face of the earth, and hath determined the times before appointed, and the bounds of their habitation; That they should seek the Lord, if haply they might feel after him, and find him, though he be not far from every one of us: For in him we live, and move, and have our being; as certain also of your own poets have said, For we are also his offspring.

Simply stated, God chose when and where we would live, so that we would look for Him.

Much love!
mark
You haven’t grasped what Paul was speaking on Mars Hill. He is saying that God is everywhere. No place can they go where He is not there. The deepest, darkest cave, He is there. The highest mountain, He is there. The deepest ocean, He is there. Yet, they will not seek Him, even though He is everywhere.

Reactions: Mjh29

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Attacked? Over-used emotional card and is baseless, like your OP.

You weren't attacked, man up.

Show us now what you say is in Romans 8 is actually there.

We are all waiting. You've failed to do so.

You seriously don't see all the perjoratives in your posts, not to mention so many others? Even what I've underlined above is a clear example of Ad hominem, to the person, that is, make your rebuttal against the person instead of the argument. This is, in my experience, mostly done by those who lack a good argument.

Man up? Can you admit this?

Much love!
Mark

Preacher4Truth

Feb 15, 2019
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi FHII,

Much love!
mark
Christ undoes your theory, none are able to come to him unless granted by the Father; John 6:44; John 6:65. Many didn't like this Jesus, so they left him and created in their minds one they can come to anytime they wish; John 6:66. The flesh is unable to do anything for eternal life, John 6:63. Man is not saved by his will or determination, John 1:13. It is clear in Scripture God predestined us to be in Christ, which is salvation; Ephesians 1. Many do not like such teaching -- they trust more in their own flesh and ability than in God's decreed plan.

Last edited:

Preacher4Truth

Feb 15, 2019
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You seriously don't see all the perjoratives in your posts, not to mention so many others? Even what I've underlined above is a clear example of Ad hominem, to the person, that is, make your rebuttal against the person instead of the argument. This is, in my experience, mostly done by those who lack a good argument.

Man up? Can you admit this?

Much love!
Mark

Can you not spell pejoratives?

Nothing to admit, I commented on his behavior and gave an observation.

But let's get past your ad hominem post here, you can not get past the most important thing: Scripture that refutes your errant false gospel of choosing your way into heaven. You hold great disdain due to God choosing whom he wills to salvation, and justly punishing those whom he wills to not show mercy. So, your problem is with the God of Scripture.

And, it is duly noted, your pejorative posts and calling people out are only aimed at one group blindly looking past the reason why I addressed the person.

Last edited:

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
You know what has just occurred to me? They were never blind to the truth, or blind to the Gospel, they automatically just loved God and saw all (their) truth clearly, they could see! Because God doesn't force and doesn't want robots, and, so, you know, they knew this and loved God, doing him a huge favor.
I'm sure this is how some ppl think, unfortunately...

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Christ undoes your theory, none are able to come to him unless granted by the Father; John 6:44; John 6:65. Many didn't like this Jesus, so they left him and created in their minds one they can come to anytime they wish; John 6:66. The flesh is unable to do anything for eternal life, John 6:63. Man is not saved by his will or determination, John 1:13. It is clear in Scripture God predestined us to be in Christ, which is salvation; Ephesians 1. Many do not like such teaching -- they trust more in their own flesh and ability than in God's decreed plan.
Yes, those verses cited are very searching indeed.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Romans 8:1 There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit. -- There is no condemnation for those who walk after Christ. If a person walks after Christ, it is the result of the Spirit, not of the person themselve

For example . . .

Your comment is that if a person walks after Christ, it is the result of the Spirit, not of the person themself.

What in this verse says that?

Romans 8:1 There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.

If you are giving your commentary on this verse, why not limit your remarks to what the verse says? Isn't that the complaint against some? That they add comments that are not made in the passage?

You've listed the following passages for support:

John 3:5-7
You must be born of the Spirit. This does not say we do not choose to receive God's salvation

John 1:12-13
These one says that this only applies to those who receive Jesus. Our rebirth is by God, but nothing here says we do not choose to receive.

Genesis 6:5
Man thinks evil in the days of Noah. Nothing here says . . . well, you know.

Genesis 8:21
Man's imaginations are evil from his childhood, but nothing here says . . .

John 8:44
The Jew Jesus addressed do not fair well in Jesus' words, but nothing here says that we don't choose to receive Jesus.

Ephesians 2:1-2
We were dead in sins, that's why we need new life! But nothing in this passage teaches us that we do not choose to receive Jesus.

So then you've given a passage from Romans 8, given a conclusion that I do not find supported in the verse, or in any of the verses you've listed for support.

Interestingly, "who walk not after the flesh, but after the spirit," "walk" is an Active Voice verb, meaning that this is the one who is doing it. We walk after the Spirit, as opposed to, for instance, the Spirit "walking us" after the Spirit.

Much love!
mark

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Imagine: You're being disingenuous. Hard to fathom, isn't it?

The fact is you add words to the text, then you overlook and dismiss anything offered you that is sound teaching.

More pejorative instead of rebuttal.

Last edited:

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Your misinterpretation above would logically have to be Universalism. That's its only end.

How would that be the case?

Saying that salvation is available to all is not the same thing as saying that all will be saved. Does it mean that to you?

Much love!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Someone said that Romans 8 is a good chapter to learn by heart. A great idea! (I can probably repeat most of the verses, anyway.) Better to have the truth in the heart, though, than only in the memory, but the memory makes a good start!

The more we memorize, or simply learn what it says, the more we return to the Bible in our thoughts, meditating on what we read, being transformed by it.

Like you say, I can probibly say most of it in pieces. Not sure I could recite the entire chapter. But what I can do is picture the pages in my mind, and mentally "look up" different parts.

I guess that's a start!

Much love!
Mark

Reactions: farouk